Rex at it again! Needs to sit down w/ Oprah and Dr. Phil.

32EBoozer

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000494537/article/rex-ryan-using-lessons-learned-with-jets-to-shape-bills-tenure

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Rex Ryan is still in the same region of the country, in the same division, walking into the same kind of situation he was in over the past six years, chasing Tom Brady with a team that seems to have everything but a counterpart for the Patriots' superstar quarterback.

So this probably all feels familiar to the 52-year-old. But there is something different this time around, something Ryan himself believes will make a huge impact.

In 2009, the New York Jets chose him to be their head coach. In 2015, he chose what became important to him.

"I've had six years of experience," he said Wednesday, a few feet away from the field where he held his second OTA session as the newest coach of the Buffalo Bills. "So am I gonna be better now? Of course. You're not gonna be worse by having experience. The other thing is understanding what's important, because the second time, I was lucky -- I got to choose where to go. The thing about that was, go to an organization where you see the direction, and it's the same direction (you believe in)."

Ryan can run you through how it happened. The trip to Florida to interview for the Buffalo job. The feeling leaving the first interview with Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula, president Russ Brandon and general manager Doug Whaley. The call-back he got the next day.

But here, from a football standpoint, is what matters: He applied what he learned, good and bad, from his time with the Jets to his decision. And that's why you can hear emotion in his voice as he explains it. He has as much conviction as ever about his chance to topple Brady and everyone else in pro football.

Such a story wouldn't, as he sees it, be that unusual. Three of the past five coaches to win titles -- Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll and Tom Coughlin -- were fired at previous stops (Carroll twice) as head coaches. With lessons learned, Belichick and Carroll secured power that would ensure their new teams were built as they saw fit, and Belichick and Coughlin went to work for owners they knew.

With regard to each of those three cases, the point Ryan made to me Wednesday afternoon was clear: If I'm going down this time, I'm going down doing it my way.

Of course, Ryan was careful not to torch his old place of work.

"I'm not saying any of that, that's all in my past, that's so far behind me," he insisted. "It's something that I'll take, I'll learn from it. I'll tell you this: When I first got (to New York), we were lined up, 100 percent. And what happened? We had success."

But he left plenty of room to read into what he wouldn't say.

The biggest thing? Over time, the Jets became a fragmented organization, a development Ryan tacitly took some responsibility for. When things went sideways, he didn't do enough. The bleeding started shortly after consecutive appearances in the AFC title game in 2009 and '10. A paper cut became a gash that grew into a wound that gave neither Ryan nor the GM he was mismatched with in 2013 (John Idzik) -- nor a number of others -- much of a chance to survive at the end.

That chain of events, by the way, is a big reason why Jets owner Woody Johnson chose to make the changes in his building total this offseason, jettisoning both Ryan and Idzik after firing the coach (Eric Mangini) but not the GM (Mike Tannenbaum) in '08 and the GM (Tannenbaum) but not the coach (Ryan) four years later. Just the same, the experience gave Ryan an idea of what he needed to look for in his next opportunity.

"When I look back on it, I looked at when I should've been more upfront with the owner," Ryan said. "I think that was a big thing: 'Look, we got some issues, this needs to be resolved.' I knew what was gonna happen. We all knew it. But now, there's no way in hell (that happens again). If I'm going down, I'm going down swinging. And if it happens, it's gonna be, 'Here's some issues we need to fix.' And hit them head on."

That way, problems are eradicated rather than managed, which keeps them from festering. If the vision is splintered -- which seemed to happen often in New York, where so many Band-Aid fixes were applied -- that should be recognized before there's a full-blown corruption of the plan.

"You have to roll the exact same way, and we don't need anybody that's gonna be an anchor to this team or have a hidden agenda," Ryan continued. "Once you chop all that off, we're gonna be pretty good. And again, we may not get to where we wanna go -- we wanna paddle to a damn Super Bowl, everyone gets that. We may end up somewhere else, but at least we're gonna go together."

There's still plenty to figure out, of course. First and foremost, Ryan has to settle on a quarterback. And the Bills' offensive line has some issues to sort through.

As you might expect, Ryan loves his new defense, conceding it's probably stronger than the group he inherited in New York in 2009, which ranked first in the NFL in his first season there.

"The thing I like is, you're gonna have a system that's hard to prepare for, and you've got players that are pretty darn talented," Ryan said. "That's a great combination. I've been there before. I think in '06 (when Ryan was defensive coordinator in Baltimore), we were pretty decent on defense when we had (a similar situation), combining ability with scheme. Watch what happens."

Ryan's right: He has been here before, in more ways than one.

If he finds a way to win with Matt Cassel or EJ Manuel under center, well, remember, the Jets went 5-1 down the stretch in 2009 despite rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez averaging 130.6 yards per game and posting a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 2:4 (Sanchez missed one of those final six games with a knee injury). It would be hard for the Bills to top what Ryan's Jets team did in his first three years there, even if the Buffalo defense flourishes. But if the guys on the team follow Ryan, that'd pretty much match the pattern he's established wherever he's been.

Ryan knows now that the difference has to come in sustaining whatever success he has, and he thinks the lessons learned the last six years will get him there. He gained belief in his new roster, in part, by virtue of the Bills sweeping the Jets last season. He's aligned with Whaley philosophically, in part because they come from opposite ends of the old streetfight of a rivalry between the Ravens (Ryan was on Baltimore's coaching staff from 1999 to 2008) and Steelers (Whaley worked in the Pittsburgh organization for 11 years). Ryan said he also lines up with the business side, ownership and even the fan base, having spent eight years of his childhood in Toronto.

In the end, that's why he said he picked this place. Looking to avoid the cracks he saw in New York, Ryan found his new foundation with the Bills.

While that alone won't guarantee much, it will likely give him a better chance over the long haul.

"We all want the same thing," Ryan says. "We wanna win and we're willing to do whatever it takes to get there. We see it. We know the direction that we need to take. There's no hidden agendas. There's no whatever. This is how we're gonna do things, and we're gonna get it done. We won't compromise, and we will make sure people are on the same boat, paddling in the same direction."

And if it doesn't work this time, there is a consolation there.

It won't be hard to figure out just who to blame.

Follow Albert Breer on Twitter @AlbertBreer.

• Replies 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait he said he got to " choose where to go " the second time ? How is that exactly ?...the Bills were the one and only team interested in hiring him and he jumped at it.....I guess that's choosing .

He is the proverbial "Drama Queen"

Between all the attention grabbing quotes (usually to the detriment of the team) his People Magazine weight-loss diary to even the blaming of others... I am so finished with this guy. I like having a man's man running the show as opposed to an attention needy boy.

Good-Bye Rex!

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/rex-ryan-i-m-the-right-guy-for-the-jets-going-forward-121713

However, even if his firing seems inevitable, Ryan has made it clear he will go down swinging.

Which means what??

Crying to the media or owner?

Playing only washed up Vets while letting talented rookies sit on the bench and never getting a chance to develop??

Wasting 6th and 7th Rd. Draft picks on his son's friends or his QB's "sidekick" so they can pick up HS girls at parties??!

Buffalo is going to get a BIG! taste of reality very soon and will be begging for Doug Marrone to come back.

Which means what??

Playing only washed up Vets while letting talented rookies sit on the bench and never getting a chance to develop??

Wasting 6th and 7th Rd. Draft picks on his son's friends or his QB's "sidekick" so they can pick up HS girls at parties??!

Buffalo is going to get a BIG! taste of reality very soon and will be begging for Doug Marrone to come back.

Agreed , Rex went down swinging here who is he kidding ?...he unleashed his dog Mehta on the world who spread Rex's word from the minute Idzik was hired...it's already been proven the " anonymous source " was Rex the whole time...,his way of going down swinging in buffalo will be more of the same , buddy up to a beat writer and smear the GM.

Wait he said he got to " choose where to go " the second time ? How is that exactly ?...the Bills were the one and only team interested in hiring him and he jumped at it.....I guess that's choosing .

He was begging for the Atlanta job and telling people he was a lock for it prior to "choosing" the Bills.

Good article.

As someone who was extremely tough on Rex I think he comes clean here.

It was Rex who failed to let Woody know how bad the roster was that Idzik gave him to work with. It was Rex who said that the Jets had more than enough talent to win spouting the nonsense Idzik was selling when he now says that he knew that was false.

The truth is you can get fired for misleading your boss about what is really happening about anything.

Lying to superiors is never a good idea and Rex did that. First time he has IMO publicaly stood up and took the onus for his dismissal. Sounds good.

Rex is a good football guy and we will see if he has learned enough to be a good HC.

Personally, Rex has no credibility.  It's gotten impossible for me to determine fact from fiction when he speaks.

Is it self promotion?  Team motivation?  Company line?  What he really feels?  Ineptitude?  Clown-show?  Overconfidence?  Insecurity?  I don't know anymore and don't care.  

What I do know is that I couldn't be happier he is no longer our coach.

Spin, spin, spin!!!  It's remarkable how he and the media want to feed the clueless public

a story on what happened with the Jets.  Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, Ryan had

the ENTIRE organization in his hands from 2009-2012.  ANYTHING he wanted he got 

because of his early success so the dysfunctional offense, indecision at the QB position

and the downturn of talent on the roster were HIS doing.  Ryan wasn't "checked" in

moving the organization until 2013 when Idzik got here

He is the proverbial "Drama Queen"

Between all the attention grabbing quotes (usually to the detriment of the team) his People Magazine weight-loss diary to even the blaming of others... I am so finished with this guy. I like having a man's man running the show as opposed to an attention needy boy.

Good-Bye Rex!

And the way to do that is by starting threads about him?? :roll:

He choose to not be unemployed. :)

Welcome to Rexnation.com - get all your Rex news in one great place and share you feelings with your friends.  If you havent signed up already and are just a visitor, please sign up and our fearless leader Baxman will create an account for you to join in on the fun!

Happy posting about Rex Ryan! 

Spin, spin, spin!!!  It's remarkable how he and the media want to feed the clueless public

a story on what happened with the Jets.  Looking back with 20/20 hindsight, Ryan had

because of his early success so the dysfunctional offense, indecision at the QB position

and the downturn of talent on the roster were HIS doing.  Ryan wasn't "checked" in

You nailed it!!

Rex has no one to blame but Rex! Mike "T" was his puppet, doing his bidding!

Which means what??

Scratches head Wilkerson,Powell,Kerley,Wilson,Shon Greene,Demaro Davis, Damien Harris, Dee Millner, McKnight, S Hill, Sanchez, Coples ,etc....  all rookies that played which one of these talent rookies or any talented rookies he let sit..? or sat on the bench..? Enlighten please..? 

I always wished the Jets and or Rex did Draft faster younger LB'ers, but i do remember Bart Scott doing a interview on how important Pace was to the Defense naming everything he does. On Jetsinsider everyone hated Harris he is slow blah blah, Rex gets fired Harris gets 20+million harris is great..lol 

We out here re-writing history again huh... Rex sucked at the end again what you are saying is garbage

Agreed but Then word gets out after Idzik's firing  that he under-mind the team and coach. Woody has to take some blame for this as does Rex and Idzik... Bad Bad Bad

The funny thing is that Rex in reality learned absolutely nothing from year one till his last year here and so far sounds the exact same in Buffalo.  When he was hired by the Jets he was at his ceiling as far as coaching goes, little did we know.....

Agreed , Rex went down swinging here who is he kidding ?...he unleashed his dog Mehta on the world who spread Rex's word from the minute Idzik was hired...it's already been proven the " anonymous source " was Rex the whole time...,his way of going down swinging in buffalo will be more of the same , buddy up to a beat writer and smear the GM.

boy, I tell ya. I just love undisputed facts

more undisputed facts. you are like wiki

Archived