Brandon Marshall Re-Structures Contract

JetNation

Read my post. They said his salary jumped to 9 mil from 7.5. It was always 9mil though. On top of that, we gave up 1.3 mil in incentives.

I even bolded the relevant section that was wrong in your original post.

1.3 mill in incentives ? And why does the bolded in this post not sound right.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its the price of a trade. Im not thrilled with it but Im not really surprised by it either. I said all along that the GM hire was going to sell himself as the complete opposite of Idzik which is what Mac has been, But for most of these guys its essentially a one year deal except for Revis and, insanely, Harris. Ill take Marshall for the extra $1.3M. If the team stinks hell be gone next year so I dont look at 2016 right now anyway. 

I will agree with the bolded part.

But in trying to be not Idzik he has made move that have been less than stellar, I still cannot believe the deal Harris got. And Marshall deal which was not so stellar to being with was made even worse. It's easy to say its only 1.3 mill. But that's 1.3 mill extra on top of a 5th round pick. After a subpar season where he was riddled with injuries.

You are the cap expert here, so doesn't this extra 1.3 mill have a negative impact on what could be rolled over to next season ?

Injury riddled? Define.

Next time you accuse someone of calling names, remember what a twat you are when you're cornered for being a moron and arguing with anyone who doesn't agree with your idiotic ideas.

You don't understand math, football, trades or medical history. Congrats

Disagree with Denver's opinion all you want, but posts like this are not acceptable.

Ghost, It is not ​an either/or situation.  One deal has nothing whatsoever to do with the other. You are like a Golden Retriever chasing a dead tennis ball over a cliff.

P.S.  Sorry for the format issue.

I don't give a sh*t. If that's the case, how come Wilk doesn't have a contract yet? I don't care about satisfying Marshall. We did not give him that extension he got in Chicago. Our focus needs to be on Wilk.

This was pointless. Absolutely pointless.

I don't give a sh*t. If that's the case, how come Wilk doesn't have a contract yet? I don't care about satisfying Marshall. We did not give him that extension he got in Chicago. Our focus needs to be on Wilk.

I understand where you're coming from, but really the present roster says Wilkerson is now a luxurious want rather than any real need (unless multiple others get injured and/or Williams somehow becomes a bust). They can't all be on the field at the same time every down as it is.

Wilkerson is an outstanding player, but he's got the fewest years remaining locked up - one - and is arguably the 4th most talented end on the team (though actual production certainly nudges him ahead of Coples, he's also less versatile than Q).

The only way we're not playing it right with Mo is perhaps our asking price for him (a pair of 1sts) was too steep to get any serious interest.

I feel for him in that it looks like he's going to risk career ending injury again without the mega deal he'd instantly get as a FA, but the numbers just worked out that way on the Jets after drafting 3 more players in the top half of round 1 that all play (or can play) his position.

I don't give a shit. If that's the case, how come Wilk doesn't have a contract yet? I don't care about satisfying Marshall. We did not give him that extension he got in Chicago. Our focus needs to be on Wilk.

Why extend Wilk now if they aren't comfortable with the amount that he wants? That makes no sense.

The Jets have leverage with Wilk. I believe they will get the contract done, but they can't just get it done if they aren't happy with the numbers.

All of which has nothing to do with where he was rated.

And that you're doing what everyone does, grading him by sacks. And he was as a 3-4 DE because that's the position he plays and 3-4 vs 4-3 is a different position. They're graded differently.

Not grading only based on sacks. But you saw as if his pass rush didn't exist the first half of the season, while we still had some resemblance of a secondary.

Even in games I feel like he gives up too early on passing downs, then sits back there n tries to bat down passes. He'll do that every series. Maybe that's his assignment, but it seems very for a DE to play as a swatter.

You look at JJ n he's always bullrushing his way and will put up his hand at the right right. I know unsaid second best, but the difference is so massive, he can't be the 2nd best.

As far as the sack totals goes, Rex's D was a mixture of everything. 3-4 was just the base. Even in 3-4, he gets help from the LBs. you can it's the other way around, but they really go hand in hand.

Mo wants Quinn money. Shouldn't happen.

And what Marshall got from Chicago doesn't matter. What he's getting from NY does.

Why extend Wilk now if they aren't comfortable with the amount that he wants? That makes no sense.

The Jets have leverage with Wilk. I believe they will get the contract done, but they can't just get it done if they aren't happy with the numbers.

Jmo The Jets have two options sign him before the season , or trade him before the season. The Jets can't afford to let this contract situation fester much longer. Here is what I mean . M Wilkerson is going to be unrestricted Fa in 2016(Jets have the option of franchise tag).

Your Muhammad Wilkerson without a long term contract ( protection for your family) what incentive is it to go out there and risk getting injured and missing your big payday. What's the chance the Jets put the franchise tag on a player( about 14 million) when they have a cheaper option( Williams) , and that guy has missed games due to wink wink injury.( protecting himself from losing that big payday). Also if this contract situation isn't resolved you can expect him to sit out most of training camp. When a player misses most of training camp , the chances of getting injured increases .

The Jets have to decide what they want to do with Wilkerson . it's sign him before the season ,or trade him before the season. Outside of a major injury, once the season starts the price tag to acquire Wilkerson goes down.( last year of contract).

Good player -- supposedly wants "great" money.  If that truly is the case, then eff' him.  They literally own his ass for two more years. Ride him like a rented mule and let him hit the open market with two years more wear and tear if he and his agent want to be assholes about it.  Mo is a good player, but he isn't all that. We're not talking Decon Jones here.  And, phuck Richardson in his other ear.

I will agree with the bolded part.

But in trying to be not Idzik he has made move that have been less than stellar, I still cannot believe the deal Harris got. And Marshall deal which was not so stellar to being with was made even worse. It's easy to say its only 1.3 mill. But that's 1.3 mill extra on top of a 5th round pick. After a subpar season where he was riddled with injuries.

You are the cap expert here, so doesn't this extra 1.3 mill have a negative impact on what could be rolled over to next season ?

so do you like any signings above the league minimum? you must be idzik's niece or something.

Injury riddled? Define.

Next time you accuse someone of calling names, remember what a twat you are when you're cornered for being a moron and arguing with anyone who doesn't agree with your idiotic ideas.

You don't understand math, football, trades or medical history. Congrats

But he is from Denver, so he's still scarred and scared by Marshall's early career mental woes.

Its the price of a trade. Im not thrilled with it but Im not really surprised by it either. I said all along that the GM hire was going to sell himself as the complete opposite of Idzik which is what Mac has been, But for most of these guys its essentially a one year deal except for Revis and, insanely, Harris. Ill take Marshall for the extra $1.3M. If the team stinks hell be gone next year so I dont look at 2016 right now anyway.

Exactly. The Harris deal was the crazy one. Otherwise, they've been fairly well put together, with easy escapes

Exactly!

And the amount of whining in this thread about the Marshall restructure, you would think we just gave him a 40 million dollar extension, we gave him peanuts, I don't think the people whining realize the numbers that are involved here.

Comparing this to Mo is apples and oranges, Mo wants a break the bank franchise player contract, that isn't what the jets are giving Marshall!

if it is true they made a promise, this is a very reasonable result.

a happy, motivated, properly medicated marshall is going to be the type of WR jets fans have been begging for

walls saves us a cool million with no cap hit the day they cut him.   no worries mates

Marshall's injury history is greatly overexaggerated.  

2006: Suffered slight tear of PCL and missed one preseason game and one regular season game

2007: none

2008: Sprained groin and left one game early

2009: Strained hamstring and missed one preseason game

2010: Left game with a hamstring injury and missed 2 games

2011: none

2012: none

2013: none

2014: Sprained ankle week 1 and left game. Left week 3 game early for same ankle issue. In week 15,freak injury in which he suffered 2 fractured ribs and a punctured lung and missed rest of season.  

just shut up already about this mythical "chronic" injury B.S.

Why? Why give him a raise? It really looks like Wilk is gone after this year.

well apparently the Jets made good on a promise to restructure it was probably part of the deal. If Im not mistaken was Marshall able to veto a trade ?

LOL. Wow.. speak of short term memory loss.

You were wanting to know if he was injury riddled last season. I told you to use Google.

Can't do it can you. Again, where did I say he wasn't injured. Here's a hint, I said he had his first major injury.

Obviously you don't know the difference between me saying he had a major injury and your contention that he was injury riddled.

But that won't stop you from adding another 5-10 posts telling me to google it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/30/jets-give-brandon-marshall-a-raise/

For 2015, Marshall has gone from a $7.5 million base salary and $200,000 workout bonus to a fully guaranteed $9 million base salary, with no workout bonus. Marshall is getting an even bigger raise in 2016, when he goes from a $7.9 million base salary to a $9.5 million base salary.

Based on this article the deal works out to be an extra 2.9 million over 2 years.

And a little cherry picking on your part, as the article also cites an $800k pay cut in the third year.

But really, years two and three don't matter because they're not guaranteed. If Marshall plays like he did prior to last season, he's still a bargain at the price of his new contract. If he doesn't, the team can address his pay again, or just cut him.

A fifth rounder for Marshall and a seventh round pick (Zac Stacey?) is a pretty good deal. It's not perfect, it's not genius. The Bears obviously wanted out of that contract enough to make it happen, and the Jets have more than enough cap room that the contract doesn't impact them negatively. How ever much you don't like the player, contract, or deal, it's hard for you to say that the Jets could've found a player of his caliber in the fifth round of the draft. A legitimate #1 WR.

Not grading only based on sacks. But you saw as if his pass rush didn't exist the first half of the season, while we still had some resemblance of a secondary.

Even in games I feel like he gives up too early on passing downs, then sits back there n tries to bat down passes. He'll do that every series. Maybe that's his assignment, but it seems very for a DE to play as a swatter.

You look at JJ n he's always bullrushing his way and will put up his hand at the right right. I know unsaid second best, but the difference is so massive, he can't be the 2nd best.

As far as the sack totals goes, Rex's D was a mixture of everything. 3-4 was just the base. Even in 3-4, he gets help from the LBs. you can it's the other way around, but they really go hand in hand.

Happens with all players. It's the difference between watching every single play verses highlights.

And we keep comparing him to the absolute best in the game. A HOF player. It's no crime to be behind a player like JJ.

And a little cherry picking on your part, as the article also cites an $800k pay cut in the third year.

But really, years two and three don't matter because they're not guaranteed. If Marshall plays like he did prior to last season, he's still a bargain at the price of his new contract. If he doesn't, the team can address his pay again, or just cut him.

A fifth rounder for Marshall and a seventh round pick (Zac Stacey?) is a pretty good deal. It's not perfect, it's not genius. The Bears obviously wanted out of that contract enough to make it happen, and the Jets have more than enough cap room that the contract doesn't impact them negatively. How ever much you don't like the player, contract, or deal, it's hard for you to say that the Jets could've found a player of his caliber in the fifth round of the draft. A legitimate #1 WR.

Yup yup you are correct about the 3rd year. That's why i posted the link to the article as well. But we know in all front loaded contracts either the player is released or that part is renegotiated or player pulls a Revis and hold's out. Rarely ever that year is ever carried out at pay in the original contract.

Now all that you say would be warranted if he did not have an injury riddled season last year. He was not a #1 WR last season. At this point given how much the JETS have invested in him I hope he turns out and has a blazing season as a true #1. But given all the risk factors involved this is not a stellar deal that was being sold to us from Day 1.

Can't do it can you. Again, where did I say he wasn't injured. Here's a hint, I said he had his first major injury.

Obviously you don't know the difference between me saying he had a major injury and your contention that he was injury riddled.

But that won't stop you from adding another 5-10 posts telling me to google it.

Now either you do not have the intellectual capability  to  really do not understand it OR you are just pretending to not get it because you are cornered. I think its the later.

So let me lay it out one final time. You wanted to know if he was injury riddled last season. I asked you to Google it yourself and find out. if you find out he was completely healthy and did not have an injury riddled season show us the information and prove me wrong.

You can still pretend to not understand and keep going around in circles. In that case you will do it alone.

please stop acting like 2 broken ribs and a punctured lung are ordinary recurring injuries.  They are not.  Other than that freak injury (akin to what Mo Lewis did to Bledsoe), which hospitalized him and caused him to miss the final 3 games of the season he had the ankle problem early in the season last season which caused him to leave games 1 and 3 early.  What other injuries am I missing from last season?  What games did he miss other than the last 3?

Stop the charade.

Happens with all players. It's the difference between watching every single play verses highlights.

And we keep comparing him to the absolute best in the game. A HOF player. It's no crime to be behind a player like JJ.

I never said its no crime. I've watched plenty of football. When you give up on half of the plays, Im not putting  you at the 2nd best spot. I understand even the best of the best get shut down on more than half the plays, but that doesn't mean you give up and hope to bat the ball down.

Sorry, I don't have my green glasses on for Mo.

please stop acting like 2 broken ribs and a punctured lung are ordinary recurring injuries.  They are not.  Other than that freak injury (akin to what Mo Lewis did to Bledsoe), which hospitalized him and caused him to miss the final 3 games of the season he had the ankle problem early in the season last season which caused him to leave games 1 and 3 early.  What other injuries am I missing from last season?  What games did he miss other than the last 3?

Stop the charade.

Please stop acting like he broke his spine. Tony Romo didnt miss game due to his punctured lung and fractured rib. He's still breathing.

Give me a break. Mo is a BEAST. Easily the best DT in the game after Watt.

I don't know about that I like Mo but if you put him on a line without our other two D line man snacks and Richardson and I don't think he is that great. I think Williams will be a better player I like Mo but if he wants more then 8 per. I say trade him for some draft pics.

Please stop acting like he broke his spine. Tony Romo didnt miss game due to his punctured lung and fractured rib. He's still breathing.

You missed the entire point.  Broken ribs and a punctured lung do not warrant an "injury prone" label as some in this thread are trying to do.  It was a freak injury.  Other than that, he has had the occasional ankle and hamstring during his career with very few missed games.  You think Marshall is "injury prone"?  Then you certainly need to review his injury history and see how few games he has missed.

As for the severity of the freak injury and your dumb comparison to Romo, Marshall had to be hospitalized because he couldn't breathe.  Romo's rib/lung in 2011 was nowhere near as severe.  Bad comparison.  Drew Bledsoe was hospitalized and had to have surgery when Mo Lewis broke his ribs and punctured his lung.     

Stop the charade.

I told him 10 posts ago that he had his first major injury. He preferred to be a drama queen and treat over and over that he had a injury riddled year. Me saying he had the first major injury of his career has sent him on a rant ordering me to google it. As if I don't already know and he's the only person on the internet who does.

But I'm not intelligent enough. If you say it often enough you believe it I guess. Best part is I keep telling him to stop, he keeps going on and on. He's my b1tch

I told him 10 posts ago that he had his first major injury. He preferred to be a drama queen and treat over and over that he had a injury riddled year. Me saying he had the first major injury of his career has sent him on a rant ordering me to google it. As if I don't already know and he's the only person on the internet who does.

But I'm not intelligent enough. If you say it often enough you believe it I guess. Best part is I keep telling him to stop, he keeps going on and on. He's my b1tch

Yeah.  He's obviously disturbed.  Best to ignore, but sometimes I can't resist. Especially when he distorts like "Marshall is injury prone".  How utterly ridiculous.  Have no idea why he always has a contrarian agenda.  As I said... he's disturbed.

I never said its no crime. I've watched plenty of football. When you give up on half of the plays, Im not putting you at the 2nd best spot. I understand even the best of the best get shut down on more than half the plays, but that doesn't mean you give up and hope to bat the ball down.

Sorry, I don't have my green glasses on for Mo.

If you think Mo takes off half the plays and to not see it makes someone a homer you may need to get a pair of glasses. There isn't a chance in hell that anyone sees what you are claiming to see.

I'll never get so called fans who kill their own players, even the ones who are recognized as leaders at their positions

Archived