David Garrard On Geno Smith

JetNation

Maybe he felt he was given bad advice?  He decided he could get better representation and took action. Why is that a problem?  This a business isn't? 

Bad advice about what. He blamed his agent for his dropping in the draft. I guess he felt his agent didn't prepare him well enough for interviews and help him hide the fact that he is an immature, entitled, moron from teams.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bad advice about what. He blamed his agent for his dropping in the draft. I guess he felt his agent didn't prepare him well enough for interviews and help him hide the fact that he is an immature, entitled, moron from teams.

You have NO IDEA why he fired his agent, as he has every right to do.    Be nice if you had a face to face conversation with him  about how much of an immature, entitled moron he is.   That would be a good talk, lol.  

You have NO IDEA why he fired his agent, as he has every right to do.    Be nice if you had a face to face conversation with him  about how much of an immature, entitled moron he is.   That would be a good talk, lol.  

You also have no idea, so why is your hypothesis any more or less valid than mine? He tried to run from draft: FACT. He was convinced to change his mind and stayed: FACT. He fired his agent right after the draft: FACT. Reasonable conclusion is he blamed his agent in some way for his precipitous fall out of the first round. I would argue he fell because teams saw a high bust factor--a fear that has been proven correct by his play, I might add. I am doing something called drawing a conclusion from evidence. You know, like analysis, 'n stuff.

Furthermore, I have the right to pick my nose in public, that doesn't mean people are prohibited for calling me an idiot for doing it.

You know who should have fired his agent?  Tom Brady.  Yeah him. 

He fired his agent because he went in the second? Lots of guys change agents, never heard of one doing it because of where they went in the draft.

Makes for a good story though.

He fired his agent because he went in the second? Lots of guys change agents, never heard of one doing it because of where they went in the draft.

Makes for a good story though.

Well there are media reports saying that is why. Geno of course denied it (who wouldn't) but then couldn't produce the real reason (maybe he was at the movies). So the absolute truth will never be known (is it ever? that is a ridiculous standard to hold any assertion to) so I am making the most likely conclusion from the available evidence.

Well there are media reports saying that is why. Geno of course denied it (who wouldn't) but then couldn't produce the real reason (maybe he was at the movies). So the absolute truth will never be known (is it ever? that is a ridiculous standard to hold any assertion to) so I am making the most likely conclusion from the available evidence.

No the media reports were that JayZ was working for an agency and was trying hard to get him signed if I remember. People switch due to commission rates, who can bring more money and a agents history with the team that drafted a player.

No the media reports were that JayZ was working for an agency and was trying hard to get him signed if I remember. People switch due to commission rates, who can bring more money and a agents history with the team that drafted a player.

Try yes. You should look it up before making an easily debunked statement.

Just a quick Google search turned up but three examples. There was a lengthy media debate about this at the time and there are many, many more articles about it.

Geno Smith thought he should have been No. 1 pick in NFL draft, fires agents after he slips  The Jets drafted Smith, who was atop Gang Green’s quarterback rankings, with the eighth pick in the second round (39th overall), which didn’t sit well with him. Smith can’t hire another agent for five days.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 1:33 PM
Updated: Tuesday, April 30, 2013, 11:45 PM
  • A
  • A
  • A

nfl-draft-football.jpgJason DeCrow/AP Geno Smith thought he should’ve been the No. 1 pick in last week’s draft, but he had to settle for No. 39, scooped up by the Jets in the second round.

Less than a week after Geno Smith plummeted out of the first round of the NFL draft, the new Jet quarterback fired his agents in his first significant decision as a professional.

The Daily News has learned that Smith’s belief that he would have — and should have — been the No. 1 overall pick contributed to the move, even though he was given no assurances of his draft position. The Jets passed on Smith with the Nos. 9 and 13 picks before grabbing him with the seventh pick in the second round (39th overall) Friday.

Smith parted ways with his representatives from Select Sports Group days after cameras chronicled his embarrassing night backstage at Radio City Music Hall on Thursday. Smith contemplated not returning the next day before coming back for the second round. The former West Virginia star maintained on Tuesday that he didn’t fire his agents due to the draft-day fall.

“I don’t want to shed too much light on it,” Smith said on SiriusXM radio. “The thing that I can tell you is that it’s not because of the whole draft experience. It’s not because of one particular incident. There’s a number of things. And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day. As of right now, I don’t feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it.”

The Jets drafted Smith, who was atop their quarterback rankings, with the hope that they have found their next franchise QB. Smith was the second quarterback picked, 23 slots after Buffalo took E.J. Manuel at No. 16, but insisted that he doesn’t harbor any ill will.

“I want to make it known that I was never bitter about where I was selected because it’s a great selection,” Smith said. “Like I’ve always stated, whether it was one or the last pick of the draft, I was going to come in with the right mentality and that’s to get better and compete daily. I’m extremely ecstatic to be a part of the Jets organization. . . . I’m glad they picked me where they did.

“I’m not bitter about where I was selected, because I’m on a great team and I’m in a great position,” he added.

Despite Smith’s draft position, John Idzik, the Jets’ new GM, made it clear that he still believes the rookie will be under the microscope.

“Being that he’s in the New York market, he’s at a high-profile position,” Idzik said on ESPN Radio on Tuesday. “I think he’s going to be center stage regardless.”

genoagent1s-2-web.jpgNorman Y. Lono/NORMAN Y. LONO Geno Smith is the top-rated quarterback on the Jets’ board, but he fires his agents Tuesday after he falls out of the first round in last week’s NFL draft.

Quarterbacks Mark Sanchez, David Garrard, Greg McElroy and Smith will have “an open competition” this summer, according to the general manager.

“We’re a quarterback-obsessed league,” Idzik said. “Well, we’re a quarterback-obsessed team, too.”

The participants were reduced after Tim Tebow was waived on Monday. Although Idzik said that he was “open-minded” about Tebow’s place on the team, sources have told The News for months that Tebow, who officially became an unrestricted free agent after he cleared waivers on Tuesday, was never in the Jets’ plans for 2013.

“It wasn’t a good situation for Tim. It wasn’t a good situation for the Jets,” Rex Ryan said on ESPN radio on Tuesday.

Sanchez, meanwhile, has been “focused,” “energized” and “very positive,” according to Idzik.

“I believe we will see the best Mark Sanchez we’ve seen” because of the ensuing quarterback competition, Ryan said.

Sanchez isn’t expected to be released before the start of training camp.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/geno-fires-agents-felt-no-1-article-1.1331194

Geno Smith’s former agents wish him the best

Posted by Mike Florio on April 30, 2013, 11:04 PM EDT
350x-212.jpg?w=250AP

Agents Jeff Nalley and Erik Burkhardt of Select Sports Group have broken their silence in response to quarterback Geno Smith’s decision to fire them, only days after Smith became the 39th pick in the draft.

“We worked tirelessly for Geno Smith and all of our draft prospects,” the firm said in a statement released to PFT.  “The NFL Draft is unpredictable, and we prepared Geno and all of our draft prospects, as we do every year, about what can happen during the draft.   Not only did we tell him that what transpired on the first day of the draft was possible, the question of whether Geno would be a first- or second-round pick was arguably the most talked about subject in the three months leading up to the draft.   We wish Geno the best.”

The statement comes in response to a report from Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News that Smith believed he “would be and should be” not a first-round pick but the No. 1 overall selection.  In an appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Smith opted not to delve into the details.

“I don’t want to shed too much light on it,” Smith said, via a partial transcript provided by SiriusXM NFL Radio.  “The thing that I can tell you is that it’s not because of the whole draft experience.  It’s not because of one particular incident.   There’s a number of things.  And that story, you know, that battle will be fought on a different day.  As of right now I don’t feel too comfortable talking about all the details of it.”

Regardless, the timeline gives rise to a reasonable inference that the decision relates to Smith’s “whole draft experience.”  And it comes off as a blame-shifting reaction from Smith for not being drafted higher.

Based on the statement from Select Sports Group, if Smith thought he’d go higher, it wasn’t based on anything his agents were telling him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/30/geno-smiths-agents-wish-him-the-best/

How about this: Geno Smith thought he would be & should be the No. 1 overall pick, I'm told. That's why he fired his agents. #nyj

So Manish said Geno thought he would go higher, the agent was then asked if that's why they were fired and he didn't say that was the reason?

Therefore that's why? Shouldn't Manish have had an unnamed source confirm it

So Manish said Geno thought he would go higher, the agent was then asked if that's why they were fired and he didn't say that was the reason?

Yet we are suppose to believe the agents whom he just terminated, lol.   Listen if I were Geno and had a chance to have someone like Jay-Zay rep me, I would switch too.  

Geno's the one who convinced me. ill never understand the faith some fans have in Geno. Havent they seen enough?

No sorry two years is not enough.  Especially when he was'n't ready to start at all his first year.  The CS are not convinced either and I am sure they have seen more film than you have.  

No sorry two years is not enough.  Especially when he was'n't ready to start at all his first year.  The CS are not convinced either and I am sure they have seen more film than you have.  

He's still not ready to start. You dont know how the CS feels about Geno. Aside from saying all the right things to boost Genos confidence, Im willing to bet theyre pretty convinced hes not the answer

He's still not ready to start. You dont know how the CS feels about Geno. Aside from saying all the right things to boost Genos confidence, Im willing to bet theyre pretty convinced hes not the answer

So wait...you just told him that he doesn't know how the Coaching Staff feels about Geno, but then insinuated that you yourself know how they feel about Geno? Interesting...

So wait...you just told him that he doesn't know how the Coaching Staff feels about Geno, but then insinuated that you yourself know how they feel about Geno? Interesting...

I didn't say I knew...I said I was willing to bet.

I trust Bowles to know who our best starter will be when the regular season begins. I am confident that Geno isn't gonna do nearly enough to beat out Fitz for that responsibility.

The history of the league is littered with QBs who were drafted in 1st and 2nd round that crashed and burned. Geno is one of those guys, IMO.

Based on his career so far, my opinion has a greater probability of being proven right than those among us who believe he's gonna step in and throw 20+ TDs and display leadership intangibles.

So first you say no, the media said jayz stole him away (media knows all!). So i show you the media said it was because he dropped. Then you say what does the media know. Lol.

Yet we are suppose to believe the agents whom he just terminated, lol.   Listen if I were Geno and had a chance to have someone like Jay-Zay rep me, I would switch too.

So instead you believe a moron who DENIED IT to avoid looking petty but then COULDNT EVEN COME UP WITH A REAL REASON. Eeerrrr.... Deeerrrrrrr.... I was at the movies.

If youre going to lie, you need to have a follow up lie for the most obvious follow up question lol.

Just how sh*tty would he have to be for two years not to be enough?

So first you say no, the media said jayz stole him away (media knows all!). So i show you the media said it was because he dropped. Then you say what does the media know. Lol.

I never said the media doesn't know. I said Manish hinted with no proof, had no details and the agent didn't deny. That's the story.

Everyone knew JayZs group was courting players, Geno included. And he signed with them, it wasn't a rumor.

So instead you believe a moron who DENIED IT to avoid looking petty but then COULDNT EVEN COME UP WITH A REAL REASON. Eeerrrr.... Deeerrrrrrr.... I was at the movies.

If youre going to lie, you need to have a follow up lie for the most obvious follow up question lol.

He got a better deal or what he felt was better representation from a different agent? Happens all the time. With lots and lots of players. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than he was passed at his agent because of where he was drafted.

Very encouraging article. Worth a read whether you support the team's decision to start Geno or not.

It is a good read. Went the xtra mile. i just think Smith has a good set of tools that can make him a serviceable consistent maybe good QB. Just needs to recognize and work within those limitations for now and hopefully  develop more skills with time and experience.

He got a better deal or what he felt was better representation from a different agent? Happens all the time. With lots and lots of players. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than he was passed at his agent because of where he was drafted.

You are making an assumption that he is a good business person who makes rational decisions. Geno Smith is no Darrelle Revis. Fact remains there is evidence to support my assertions, while your theory requires disregarding all available evidence and discounting it in favor of general statements. I go for the evidence, every time.

I don't know why he fired his agent and I know that he did not look good at the draft. OTOH, if your agent is blowing smoke up your ass telling you that you should go #1 overall and you fall into the 2nd round I think it is a valid reason to fire them.  It's like an advertising agency telling you that your product should be the #1 seller, but you turn out to be RC Cola.

You are making an assumption that he is a good business person who makes rational decisions. Geno Smith is no Darrelle Revis. Fact remains there is evidence to support my assertions, while your theory requires disregarding all available evidence and discounting it in favor of general statements. I go for the evidence, every time.

I'm making an assumption based on common sense. This is the reason players change agents. You on the other hand are making an assumption just to prove that he's either an idiot or self absorbed. You don't have a clue if he's s moron or a financial genius, never mind a Revis. As if it's hard to shop agents or ask for advice. Fact is there are no facts in either your or my theory. Not one

I'm making an assumption based on common sense. This is the reason players change agents. You on the other hand are making an assumption just to prove that he's either an idiot or self absorbed. You don't have a clue if he's s moron or a financial genius, never mind a Revis. As if it's hard to shop agents or ask for advice. Fact is there are no facts in either your or my theory. Not one

Again, I cite articles, you cite "common sense" (your definition of which, I disagree with, incidentally) without support. This has been a spirited and enjoyable debate, but it's obvious we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Ain't the off-season grand?

Again, I cite articles, you cite "common sense" (your definition of which, I disagree with, incidentally) without support. This has been a spirited and enjoyable debate, but it's obvious we will just have to agree to disagree on this one. Ain't the off-season grand?

One guy, Manish throws it out there without an ounce of proof. Without a source, kind of a glorified maybe. It was put to the fired agent who didn't confirm. Those aren't facts. Regardless, his on the field issues are fact. There are enough concerns there to fill this forum. The rest is nonsensical off season talk. I'm sure there are plenty of HOF QBs who have done far worse and are in the hall

One guy, Manish throws it out there without an ounce of proof. Without a source, kind of a glorified maybe. It was put to the fired agent who didn't confirm. Those aren't facts. Regardless, his on the field issues are fact. There are enough concerns there to fill this forum. The rest is nonsensical off season talk. I'm sure there are plenty of HOF QBs who have done far worse and are in the hall

Reported by Manish, confirmed by the agents (who rarely comment on a breakup) and denied by Geno with no alternate explanation offered. There are a thousand articles pondering whether this reflects poorly on his ability to handle the pressures of being an NFL starting QB in NY, concerns I share, which I believe have ultimately been proven correct. Yes, that sounds pretty accurate.

If you question the weight of such evidence, that's your right. But it is much more troublesome for your case when all you can cite is "common sense" to support your own conclusions. Common sense, as they say, is poorly named because it is decidedly uncommon and, highly subjective. It does strain, however, any interpretation of "common sense" why firing one's agent immediately after the draft when the first contract is already done and a new contract is years away, can signal anything except displeasure at the deed that was just accomplished. And being that rookie contracts are subject to the rookie wage scale, such displeasure was unlikely to result from the contractual negotiation itself, but from the only determining factor of pay and prestige: where one was take in the draft. Yes, it does appear more likely than not, at least in regards to any evidence here presented, that Geno made this decision due to his dissatisfaction of his slip into the 2nd round. Even granting that it was not the case, the timing of his decision was ill advised and inexorably leads to this conclusion, making it a poor move under any circumstance. And that is the indictment here: the reason itself does not matter. Be it his rationale or his timing, this incident supports the argument that Geno is a rash and poor decision maker, under your interpretation or mine and the media's.

Reported by Manish, confirmed by the agents (who rarely comment on a breakup) and denied by Geno with no alternate explanation offered. There are a thousand articles pondering whether this reflects poorly on his ability to handle the pressures of being an NFL starting QB in NY, concerns I share, which I believe have ultimately been proven correct. Yes, that sounds pretty accurate.

If you question the weight of such evidence, that's your right. But it is much more troublesome for your case when all you can cite is "common sense" to support your own conclusions. Common sense, as they say, is poorly named because it is decidedly uncommon and, highly subjective. It does strain, however, any interpretation of "common sense" why firing one's agent immediately after the draft when the first contract is already done and a new contract is years away, can signal anything except displeasure at the deed that was just accomplished.

This is what you posted. Not a fact an inference. Whatever, it's meaningless either way. We've beaten it dead

Regardless, the timeline gives rise to a reasonable inference that the decision relates to Smith’s “whole draft experience.” And it comes off as a blame-shifting reaction from Smith for not being drafted higher.

Based on the statement from Select Sports Group, if Smith thought he’d go higher, it wasn’t based on anything his agents were telling him.

This is what you posted. Not a fact an inference. Whatever, it's meaningless either way. We've beaten it dead

Regardless, the timeline gives rise to a reasonable inference that the decision relates to Smith’s “whole draft experience.” And it comes off as a blame-shifting reaction from Smith for not being drafted higher.

You caught me editing. He is either a blame-shifter or an obtuse poor decision maker. Either way, huge red flag.

You caught me editing. He is either a blame-shifter or an obtuse poor decision maker. Either way, huge red flag.

I actually don't agree. Again he has issues and hasn't proven himself at this point. But thinking your agents did a sh1tty job, even if for the wrong reasons and firing them is hardly the reason for his struggles. Want to give a huge chunk of your money to someone you feel is going to take care of you better this the other guy isn't a red flag. It's good business. There are far worse people who played lights out and in the HOF. This is the usual NY tabloid BS to over analyze an athlete. John Elwayy was a total douche businessman who screwed 100s of customers when he bought an existing car dealership. Didn't hurt his ability to QB a team, win a championship or now run a team. And you have to use common sense. Your theory is the guy is a moron thinking he would go one overall and then doubles up by blaming his agent. This doesn't make sense and if it doesn't make sens it's probably not true. Again, players switch agents all the time. Some do it more than once, has happened thousands of times. Bet 99.99% of the time it's for better representation, a better connection personally, more handholding or more often the belief that the other guy will get you more money. So yes, common sense says it's not Manishs theory.

Either way we overthink this sh1t, it's all nonsense in the grand scheme of things.

Archived