Geno getting a raw deal by many

kmnj

he is a young QB that has a good arm-yeah he had a few games where he showed poor judgement but I would argue a great deal of that has to do with the fact that he had prob the worst wr/te group(especially when decker had the hammy) that I have ever seen on a Jets team-I mean come on his number on certain weeks was guys like nelson -this year I suspect we will say great improvement out of him now that he has a solid core of WRS and Amaro should improve-do I think he is the next tom brady, no I dont but i think he can be a good qb that the team can win with

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im NOT a fan of Geno by an stretch BUT right now he is our best option to start despite his weaknesses.  Petty is a rookie who needs to sit and watch for at least a year.  Fitzpatrick is recovering from injuries and is basically a older Geno.  Look i dont see Geno as the QB of the future but i think he can be serviceable QB for the time being.  Basically we just need him to be average since our defense is top notch.  The problem is that our fanbase shows no mercy.  I hate to say it but if Geno was killed in a car accident today most fans would cheer which is pretty ****ed up

I don't see any reason to "give the kid a break".  Our continued obsession with trying to develop bad young QB's is a significant reason why this franchise's chances at acquiring a legitimate franchise QB have been limited. 

In just the last 4 years we've passed on Russell Wilson and Teddy Bridgewater because we preferred to give Sanchez and Geno more chances than they deserved.  Geno was drafted in the same round as Kellen Clemens yet we think there's some amazing untapped upside he hasn't displayed yet.  It's not those guys that got a raw deal.  It's us. 

Getting a raw deal? He lucked into starting Year 1 because Rex put Sanchez into the 4th Q of the Snoopy Bowl, then he was handed the job Year 2 after a ridiculous sham competition, and now he is the presumptive starter unless proven otherwise despite doing absolutely nothing encouraging in his career to date and putting up numbers that rank him among the worst ever for two year starters.

Far from a raw deal, Geno is the luckiest SOB on Earth.

Getting a raw deal? He lucked into starting Year 1 because Rex put Sanchez into the 4th Q of the Snoopy Bowl, then he was handed the job Year 2 after a ridiculous sham competition, and now he is the presumptive starter unless proven otherwise despite doing absolutely nothing encouraging in his career to date and putting up numbers that rank him among the worst ever for two year starters.

This is basically correct.

Nailed it jgb!  It's the Jets players who are getting the "raw deal" if this bum is under center again this year.

There are QBs who take more than two years to develop.  Problem with Geno on this blog is people think they have seen enough to predict his future.  Let us all remember how much Vinnie T stunk.  When he came here I thought we were idiots for getting him.  Geno does not thrill me, but I am willing to wait and see.

No, he is not getting any kind of a raw deal at all.   He's been totally fortunate to still be looked at as a starter at this point in time.  He was a 2nd round pick, the 3rd guy we drafted that year and he has failed to seize his chance twice.

I also almost totally dismiss the notion of no weapons, new offense system because if you look at his efforts on play by play basis you see guys open who are missed, bad throws, poor reads, bad turnovers.

His career as a potential starter is hanging by a thread, he has to be damn good in camp or he gets tossed into the back up status, just as it should be.

he is a young QB that has a good arm-yeah he had a few games where he showed poor judgement but I would argue a great deal of that has to do with the fact that he had prob the worst wr/te group(especially when decker had the hammy) that I have ever seen on a Jets team-I mean come on his number on certain weeks was guys like nelson -this year I suspect we will say great improvement out of him now that he has a solid core of WRS and Amaro should improve-do I think he is the next tom brady, no I dont but i think he can be a good qb that the team can win with

if his performance in TC & Preseason is at least in the same ballpark as Fitz & our QB roster remains the same i'm onboard with him starting week 1

if he has all of the 2015 WR/TE weapons currently on the roster & can't even measure up to JAG Fitz in Camp & Preseason do you think it is a fair deal to sit him on the bench week 1?

Was he a different QB when he had two NFL caliber WRs as opposed to when he had David Nelson starting for him? He had Percy for the last 5 wks of the year. He went for 1066 yards, 64% completion, 6 TDs and 3 ints with a 97.9 QB rating.

You can point to the fact he did the same thing a year ago as well, but that doesn't change anything. He simply played very good when he had some WR help. He's not Brady, like the OP suggested, and neither is he going to be a pro bowler, but we don't need a all pro QB. We have an all pro D that requires decent QB play to win games and Geno can do that this year. If not, we have "The Beard" that will become the next Rich Gannon as many seem to believe here. We're not in a bad shape.

It took Fitzpatrick 6 years in the league to put up numbers like Geno did last year.  Plus, he's never won more than 6 games in a season.  The wise thing to do is give the reigns to Geno and yank him for Fitz if he doesnt show marked improvement after the first 4 games.

I tend to agree with the OP, the kid won 8 games with the worst offense ever assembled.  He made a pretty nice jump statistically last season with just adding a good WR in Decker.  Now he's got Marshall and hopefully Devin Smith can make an impact as a rookie.  Bottom line is, he's going to be finally playing with an NFL caliber WR group for the first time in his career and you have to think the OL will be better with Carpenter in the mix, plus an OC known for his work with QB's.  It's hard to look good when guys cant get open.  

So I agree, he's had a raw deal in terms of the talent around him but he hasnt had a raw deal from a playing time perspective.  Dude was handed the starting job 2 straight years.  Have the fans given him a raw deal? Possibly.  Maybe he turns the corner with new coaches and a very good WR core.   But how can you blame the fans?  He's been terrible and stupid.  Bad combo.

I'm not saying Geno is the future or can turn it around but giving him the opportunity to at least try with a new coaching staff and WR sure as hell beats starting sh*tzpatrick and not sucking just enough to take yourself out the QB's next draft. 

Geno is our starting qb for now and there are way worse players at the position. If he gets outplayed by Fitz and or plays poorly week 1 he will no longer be he qb. Happy?

not sure who that is directed to ... but if me i'll try to ignore the (there are way worse players at the position) part of your comment ... and simply say if Geno performs as the best QB in camp i will be happy ... surprised, but happy.  If he plays like $h*t in camp i would like to see him on the bench ... that will make me happy with our coaching staff.

Was he a different QB when he had two NFL caliber WRs as opposed to when he had David Nelson starting for him? He had Percy for the last 5 wks of the year. He went for 1066 yards, 64% completion, 6 TDs and 3 ints with a 97.9 QB rating.

You can point to the fact he did the same thing a year ago as well, but that doesn't change anything. He simply played very good when he had some WR help. He's not Brady, like the OP suggested, and neither is he going to be a pro bowler, but we don't need a all pro QB. We have an all pro D that requires decent QB play to win games and Geno can do that this year. If not, we have "The Beard" that will become the next Rich Gannon as many seem to believe here. We're not in a bad shape.

It is a circular argument. Do you blame the receivers or the QB? Can't it be both? Maybe the weaponzzz stunk but Geno doesn't pass the eye test either. NFL coaches should be able to make evaluations of a player without having to put him into the perfect situation.

It is a circular argument. Do you blame the receivers or the QB? Can't it be both? Maybe the weaponzzz stunk but Geno doesn't pass the eye test either. NFL coaches should be able to make evaluations of a player without having to put him into the perfect situation.

The turnover machine that is GENO  has made countless errors that have little to do with the weapons.   He holds the ball like a loaf of bread........

That said, he is tough.  Takes a hit and deserves a final shot 

The turnover machine that is GENO  has made countless errors that have little to do with the weapons.   He holds the ball like a loaf of bread........

That said, he is tough.  Takes a hit and deserves a final shot 

I agree and that shot should be manifested as a bona fide, best man wins, competition in training camp and pre-season. If he wins a straight up legit battle, great. It will help his confidence, not hurt it. But if he is clearly worse and still gets the nod, I will be disappointed.  I'll even grant you that a tie goes to Geno.

Was he a different QB when he had two NFL caliber WRs as opposed to when he had David Nelson starting for him? Did he pass the eye test then? If it was all QB while his WRs were half decent, Nelson would have been starting for Manning.

Physically tough yes. But not mentally tough. Like him or hate him, a QB like Big Ben (who, physically, he probably compares best to), has both of those qualities.

Genonis nothing like Big Ben physically.

Dude.. It's not a raw deal. He's a really physically talented kid but his football IQ makes Sanchez's football IQ look like Peyton Manning.

Maybe he'll come around and maybe having guys like Marshall and Decker on the outside will make him better.. but his ceiling, at his very best, is a middle of the road QB. I'll take it but I'm definitely not banking on him being that. This is his last chance as the quarterback of the Jets, he better get it right.

Was he a different QB when he had two NFL caliber WRs as opposed to when he had David Nelson starting for him? Did he pass the eye test then? If it was all QB while his WRs were half decent, Nelson would have been starting for Manning.

Geno does a fine job beating teams who are eliminated from competition at the end of the season. If I ever need a player to win a meaningless game for both teams, he is on my speed dial.

Genonis nothing like Big Ben physically.

Who would he more closely resemble?  I know Ben has 2 inches and about 15 pounds on Geno but that was just the first type of guy I thought of.  Rodgers is listed as 6-2, 225 but I can't believe he actually outweighs Geno.  He seems more slinky and fast. 

Romo (6-2, 228) perhaps? 

Most jets fans are just frustrated we couldn't upgrade at qb this offseason. The Brian Hoyers, Jake Lockers and Ryan Mallets were if anything actually significantly worse than what we already had.

Fitz is a better player but we don't know what his medical status is and it's not like he's Dan Marino circa mid-80's. If this coaching staff currently trusts Geno over Fitz I take their word over a bunch of internet boys who thought no way Randy Gregory would fall to rd 2 after testing positive for weed or that we needed to lose games on purpose to get Kaepernick Jr.

Geno does a fine job beating teams who are eliminated from competition at the end of the season. If I ever need a player to win a meaningless game for both teams, he is on my speed dial.

And you do a fine job of dodging a question...or two.

Most jets fans are just frustrated we couldn't upgrade at qb this offseason. The Brian Hoyers, Jake Lockers and Ryan Mallets were if anything actually significantly worse than what we already had.

Fitz is a better player but we don't know what his medical status is and it's not like he's Dan Marino circa mid-80's. If this coaching staff currently trusts Geno over Fitz I take their word over a bunch of internet boys who thought no way Randy Gregory would fall to rd 2 after testing positive for weed or that we needed to lose games on purpose to get Kaepernick Jr.

That is correct. Jake retired, Brian Hoyer has been in the league 6 years and a journeyman. Mallet has completed 42 passes in his career.

I answered it. You just don't like the answer.

So you're he did he pass the eye test in games which 'teams' were eliminated from playoff contentions, but the 'players' careers were on the line. Thank you.

I agree and that shot should be manifested as a bona fide, best man wins, competition in training camp and pre-season. If he wins a straight up legit battle, great. It will help his confidence, not hurt it. But if he is clearly worse and still gets the nod, I will be disappointed.  I'll even grant you that a tie goes to Geno.

Well... we as fans will never know this but if he is clearly outplayed, I cant see any coach, GM or owner staying with him.  All jobs are on the line including Geno.  Bowles and McC want to have a good 1st season..

So you're he did he pass the eye test in games which 'teams' were eliminated from playoff contentions, but the 'players' careers were on the line. Thank you.

No, but it is easy to knock down strawmen. I will be more explicit. Geno has shown flashes at the end of both his seasons. Let's see what the constant is. He only received "new NFL-caliber talent" in one of those seasons, but in both seasons his flashes occurred after the Jets were eliminated and many of the opponents were also. That is the common thread. Part of it is that he can't handle pressure (actual in-pocket pressure, and metaphorical as in when the games mean something) and the other part is the other teams had little to play for. That's the common denominator between both of his late season flashes.

I think he is a garbage-time type of performer and his weak mental constitution is not suited for playing well in games with meaningful stakes.

He was never starting his first year on the bench.  Sanchez won nothing and was the backup.  Sanchez was done in NY.  There was never a competition in year two, was the Jets starting QB.

If you look at his last 5 games last year and come away thinking he has no chance you'll have a hard time with any young QB.  They actually need more than a season and a half to develop.  No matter how much we think otherwise.  You know the same way we all think that Mariota and Petty will need a couple of years to develop so will Geno.  

Archived