D'Brickashaw Ferguson ~ ~ ~

kelly

If you've been paying attention to the NFL headlines over the past two weeks -- the non-DeflateGate headlines, I mean -- you know the New York Giants and Denver Broncos lost their starting left tackles to significant injuries. The Broncos' Ryan Clady is done for the season with a torn ACL and Will Beatty could miss six months after surgery to repair a torn pectoral muscle. Both injuries occurred in voluntary team workouts.Left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson was selected by the Jets in the first round of the 2006 draft. 

A good left tackle is like a life-insurance policy: It provides great comfort even though you may occasionally forget it's there. The Giants and Broncos -- and especially Eli Manning and Peyton Manning -- will greatly miss their blind-side protectors.This is a roundabout way of complimenting D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who has been on the job every ... single ... day for the New York Jets since 2006. Not only has he played in every game for nine years (144 consecutive games), but he hasn't missed a single snap.That last part bears repeating: He hasn't missed a single snap. It's a Ripken-esque streak, and that shouldn't be underplayed when evaluating Ferguson. Yes, he's three seasons removed from the last of his three Pro Bowl appearances, but the man always shows up for work. Ferguson is a rare constant for a franchise known for instability.

Has his play slipped over the years ?

Probably so. There's no objective measure for evaluating offensive linemen, so we have to rely on expert opinion (coaches, scouts, etc.) and advanced metrics. This is subjective, but he was rated as the 16th left tackle last season, according to the stats-based website Pro Football Focus. He allowed only one sack, per PFF, but he received a "negative" run-blocking grade. This supports what I've heard from coaches: Still a solid pass protector, but doesn't finish in the running game the way he used to.This is an important season for Ferguson in terms of his long-term future with the Jets. His cap charge, $11.7 million this season, balloons to $14.1 million in 2016, the next-to-last year of his contract. The Jets will have cap issues next year, so it's hard to imagine them carrying a franchise-type number for a player who will be 32. They will have to make a decision on whether to cut bait or renegotiate, and a lot will depend on his 2015 performance.

But that's down-the-road talk. For now, just appreciate the stability. If they can accomplish the same thing at quarterback ...

We'll save that for another day.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51616/left-tackles-are-dropping-but-jets-dbrickashaw-ferguson-keeps-going-and-going-and

D-brick's one of my favorite Jets. But I thought our front office made a mistake not drafting a swing tackle in the early rounds this year.

Maybe there's a chance Jarvis Harrison can play some OT? seems like he has the size and good feet. Especially if Oday A. and Dozier keep impressing at guard like they have.

Freeport's own D'brickkk. I love D'brick, and although I agree he has declined, especially in run-blocking, over the past 2 years I really don't blame the guy. If anything I think the front office has just taken for granted the consistency and play from D'brick and Mangold as well. I feel like we haven't made any serious attempt to develop a LT. Granted we have had our hands full over the years with RT and guard. Personally, I'm just starting to think if they go the free agency route or use a 1st/2nd rounder on a LT next year

more re D'Brick.  -

~ ~ D’Brickashaw Goes Behind the Pads

Jets Tackle Talks Career Paths & Trading Cards with Equipment Manager Gus Granneman

As a veteran player in the National Football League, I’ve had the opportunity to meet and interact with very talented players. Gus Granneman, equipment manager for 22 years with the New York Jets, has seen even more. I sat down with Gus in his office to talk a little Jets history.

I was curious about when Gus started working as the equipment manager with the Jets and how it all came about.“One of my good friends from high school, several years older than me, was equipment manager for the high school football team,” he said. "He continued that in college and then he went on to the Kansas City Chiefs. So while I was in college, I would come and help the Chiefs on the road.”I learned Gus had also been a Chiefs ballboy while in college and then became a high school football coach. But he quickly realized something was missing for him.“I was like, wow, I really missed doing what I was doing," he said. "I went back and asked the equipment manager if I could stay the rest of the season. I did one year at the Chiefs as a volunteer and then came here and have been here ever since.”

Gus' office at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center is filled with different bits of history. His walls are decorated with pictures of players both former and current, he has several figurines, including quarterbacks Brett Favre and Joe Namath, and he has collected and has begun to frame the only five Jets players to have their jersey numbers retired.But out of everything I saw, what caught my attention was his trading card collection of Jets MVP award winners dating back to 1960. It's prominently displayed and organized by decades in several wooden frames. I asked him what inspired his collection.

“I started getting these around 2001, but I have always liked cards, even as a kid," he said, adding that at the Jets' previous headquarters at Hofstra University, "we didn’t really have anything in the equipment room. I thought it would be a cool thing for people when they came in to have something different for them to talk about.”As we discussed the detail embedded in each card, the one thing that I noticed was the players' equipment. I asked Gus what he thought was the biggest difference in modern-day equipment compared to the game's beginnings.

“Definitely the emphasis on protection," he said. "The facemask, obviously. You can see from the pictures how much different facemasks are. Just the whole way the helmet fits, it's so much different than it was before.”Had there ever been any odd equipment requests that players have made over the years ?  “We have had some interesting jersey alterations we’ve done, with putting laces in the sides, so you can tie it up and tighten it, to putting strings even in the arm sleeves, so you can tie the arm strings.”

Gus was referring to laces that players put around the hems on their shirtsleeves to make the sleeves tight against the skin and the pads — giving opposing players one less thing to grab.When Gus mentioned the arm strings, it made me think of a teammate I used to play against in practice. Kimo von Oelhoffen was a 13-year veteran when I was a Jets rookie in 2006. Kimo was always mindful about how to get the most out of his equipment. I heard once that he drilled tiny holes into his shoulder pads to make them lighter. Fortunately, today’s equipment is both lighter and stronger, no longer requiring Kimo’s unique innovations.

We continued on the topic and Gus remembered a past player coming from another team who actually had knee pads attached to his shoulder pads. ”For some reason, they didn’t give him the del [deltoid] pads," he said. "They just used knee pads and tied them onto his shoulder pads — and he loved it.”Gus made sure to let me know that was not the right thing to do, and we laughed at the unconventional and strange equipment stories.After speaking with Gus, I don’t think I will ever look at my equipment, especially my shoulder pads, in the same way again.

> http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/D’Brickashaw-Goes-Behind-the-Pads/46cc9660-63ae-402d-9c8b-52976fa8822d

Getting mangold and Ferguson in the same draft was the best thing this teams done in any offseason since they drafted namath. Never understood why Jets fans are so often against drafting 1st round linemen.

Linemen aren't as fun to watch as a skill position player. Could also be "fantasy" fans who don't care about any player they cant draft for their fantasy team.

saw this...

~ ~ Willie Colon, Nick Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson aren't old guys. They're 32, 31 and 31 years old, respectively. But by NFL standards, they are considered aging veterans, three offensive line starters who are clearly closer to the end of their careers than the beginning.All three players were drafted in 2006, so this is Year 10 for them. Mangold will be the Jets' starting center once again, while Ferguson will start at left tackle. Colon, the starting right guard the past two seasons, will fight for a roster spot during training camp.

Colon is well aware of the perception that the three players are in the twilight of their careers. But he chafes at people outside the Jets' facility putting timelines on how many years they have left in the NFL."I think what frustrates me about that question is that people put a timeline on your career," Colon said Tuesday during the NFL's broadcast boot camp at NFL Films headquarters. "I've read reports and I've gotten things about: 'Oh, Willie, you're barely holding on.' Fine. Since you stepped in this league, it's always your job to prove the naysayers wrong. I don't take offense to it, because it's life in the NFL. The older you get, there's always a younger, stronger, better guy that's nipping at your heels. It's for you to be better as you get older and find your lane amongst that way. I can't put a timeline on Nick and Brick.

"I take offense when ... Don't put a timeline on me. When it's time, it's time. The front office is going to make that decision, or my body is just not going to hold on. I think that's just the evolution of the game."Colon pointed out that Mangold and Ferguson "are still running good," and that Mangold was a Pro Bowler last season for the sixth time, while Ferguson was a Pro Bowl alternate, albeit a fifth alternate. Colon didn't have a superb 2014 season, but he managed to remain healthy all year for the first time since 2009."I, for the grace of God, finished a year [healthy]," Colon said. "We're all still up and running. I think any time you put yourself in a front office role [and put a timetable on your future], you've already counted yourself out. The best thing you can do as a player is just be a player, and get better at what you do.

"I think some people are like, 'Well, they're going to be 10 years in, so we should start looking [to replace them].' Sure, that's your opinion. It's our job to go out there and kick butt and maybe go a little bit more. And if we don't, then that's just the game."Colon is a prideful person, but he recognizes the reality of his current situation. If the Jets cut him this summer, it might be the end of his football career. He knows broadcasting might soon be in his future, so that's why he's attending the boot camp this week.

The Jets have four younger guards who will be in the mix in the right guard competition: Brian Winters (third-year pro), Oday Aboushi (third year), Dakota Dozier (second year) and, probably to a lesser degree, Jarvis Harrison (rookie)Mangold's and Ferguson's jobs are secure for 2015.But Mangold has no guaranteed money remaining on his contract after this season. The final year of his deal is 2017. His salary cap figures the next two seasons are scheduled to be $8.6 million and $9.075 million. Though he has continued to play well late in his career, the Jets can cut him at any point after this season, and not face a salary cap hit.Ferguson also has two years left on his contract after 2015. He is scheduled to carry hefty cap numbers in 2016 and 2017 — $14.107 million and $14.307 million. The Jets would have to absorb dead money figures if they cut him before either of those seasons, but they would be just $5.014 million and $1.282 million, respectively.

Ferguson isn't the player he once was. (He made the Pro Bowl from 2009-11.) But he is still a solid, durable tackle. Last season, Pro Football Focus rated him 35th among all offensive tackles in the league, including 30th as a pass blocker and 64th as a run blocker.Moreover, Ferguson has played and started all 144 games in his career. Mangold's number is 141. He missed two games in 2011 and one last year. Those are remarkable statistics for offensive linemen.

At some point, the Jets will have to consider life after Mangold and Ferguson. But Colon doesn't think anybody should rush that process, especially not people outside the Jets' front office.

> http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/06/jets_willie_colon_says_fans_shouldnt_put_timeline.html

Mentioning Colon in the same breath as Ferg and Mangold is blasphemy. All they have in common is the 2006 draft. Its like comparing older pro bowlers to older sh*t players...oh, that's actually exactly what it is. Lol

• 1 month later...

No. 9: D’Brickashaw Ferguson

Last year’s ranking: 8

Position: Left tackle

How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2006 Draft

Years left on contract: 3

2015 Salary Cap figure: $11.7 million

Looking back at 2014: Ferguson continues to be a constant on the Jets’ offensive line. He played every snap again in 2014, just as he has in every season since the team took him with the fourth overall pick in 2006.Ferguson is not the elite tackle he was a few years ago, but he is still an above average left tackle. He is also a great locker room guy who never gives the coaches or the organization any headaches.Pro Football Focus ranked him the 35th tackle out of 84 based on their grades. He allowed just one sack and 27 quarterback hurries, according to the site, but received a poor run blocking grade.According to PFF, he was one of only three left tackles to play 16 games and allow one sack or fewer.Ferguson was matched up against some terrific pass rushers last season and held his own.

Outlook for 2015: Ferguson gets his third head coach with the Jets, and Todd Bowles surely will see Ferguson just like Eric Mangini and Rex Ryan did – as a valuable piece of his offense. Ferguson’s durability is remarkable. He has never missed a play in nine seasons. Think about that. He never had a minor injury that required him to come off for a play or two. Say what you want about Ferguson’s play, but you can’t question his toughness.Next offseason figures to be an interesting one for the Jets and Ferguson. His salary cap numbers are inflated because he reworked his deal a few times to help the team’s cap situation in the Mike Tannenbaum era. His cap number jumps to $14 million in 2016. There is no way the Jets will live with that. They could release him for $9 million of cap savings. The more likely outcome, though, Ferguson taking a paycut in a renegotiation. Unless he pays poorly this season, the Jets will want to hold onto him for another few years, and I doubt Ferguson would want to go anywhere else.

>     http://nypost.com/2015/07/16/dbrickashaw-fergusons-durability-has-a-price-for-jets/

Unlike you I have no bff's tight or loose dont associate me with SAR I ever.

Unlike me? Lol your skin is almost transparent on this board. Crocodile tears flow from your eyes like the Colorado River during snow melt over the slightest little thing.

I noticed you following him around the board all the time, so it was just an assumption.

There, I just associated you with SAR I :) what are you gonna do? Neg rep me?

Unlike me? Lol your skin is almost transparent on this board. Crocodile tears flow from your eyes like the Colorado River during snow melt over the slightest little thing.

I noticed you following him around the board all the time, so it was just an assumption.

There, I just associated you with SAR I :) what are you gonna do? Neg rep me?

Really like when have I cried about anything I'm as resilient as they come.  

I think you have me confused with someone else cowboy.

Dont assume either. Sorry to burst your bubble I am not associated with SAR I or anyone else for that matter just a longtime suffering Jets fan. 

Neg rep you rightfully deserved.

Archived