Geno Smith Warning in Jets Locker Room: Don't Wreck Us Now

flgreen

Geno Smith warning in Jets locker room: Don’t wreck us now

By Bart HubbuchJune 2, 2015 | 5:52pm

Modal Trigger

Third-year Jets quarterback Geno Smith (left) received a sharp warning Tuesday from offensive lineman Willie Colon (right).

Geno Smith’s teammates aren’t pulling any punches with their third-year starting quarterback.

Veteran guard Willie Colon told SiriusXM radio Tuesday the Jets are Smith’s team — for better or worse — and warned him not to “crash” them this season.

“Geno … has made his mistakes,” Colon said. “He’s said some things where you look at him like, ‘What are you talking about?’ But I think that’s all about his maturation period. And I think right now … we bought the Porsche. We’ve given him the keys. He can’t crash it. Bottom line. He can’t crash it.”

With veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick still rehabilitating a leg injury and Bryce Petty and Jake Heaps still just rookies, Smith will enter training camp and most likely the season as Gang Green’s starter.

That’s a role Colon admitted Smith wasn’t ready for as a rookie himself in 2013.

“He was never ready to be the starting quarterback of the New York Jets,” Colon said. “When Mark Sanchez went down, he was thrown into the fire and he was forced to cook. Everybody knows in this league, to be a quarterback, which is the No. 1 position on the field, it’s a maturation period you have to go through. And it takes the mental, the physical, and everything to go along with it, to be the best, or even be in the top 10.”

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Colon is right, this is the exact same bullsh*t mentality which Rex had that lead to his stoplight, kindergarten treatment of Sanchez and the decision to tell Geno what read to throw to last year pre-snap. Additionally, Colon's ass hasn't bought anything but a 1st and 20 and pushed us out of the red-zone. 

It might mean more if it were coming from someone who could remember the snap count from the huddle to the line of scrimmage.  But, in his mind, I guess that's Geno's fault too.

Hopefully Maccagnan cuts ties with Colon before his weekly running of the mouth starts to cause problems in the locker room.

Geno starting vs the Browns week one would ruin all the good vibes I'm felling about 2015.

How many Jet coaches and players have to call this Genos team before you guys start dealing with the fact he's starting?

How many Jet coaches and players have to call this Genos team before you guys start dealing with the fact he's starting?

to steal from Colon ... Geno is ... Unless he crashes the Porshe in Training Camp speeding because he slept through the alarmclock and was late to practice

It's not who says it, it's WHEN they say it. If, come the monday after week 3 of preseason, the staff says Geno's starting then ill start panicking.

Until then, the idea of Geno starting is laughable.

It might mean more if it were coming from someone who could remember the snap count from the huddle to the line of scrimmage.  But, in his mind, I guess that's Geno's fault too.

Hopefully Maccagnan cuts ties with Colon before his weekly running of the mouth starts to cause problems in the locker room.

I think a having a guy like Colon on the team is a good thing. I don't think anything he's saying is wrong or over the top. You need some vocal leaders to right the ship, especially when the top vets are mostly introverts like Harris, D'Brick and even Mangold doesn't say much. 

He has no awareness of who he is now.  You're not the 26 year old up and comer on the Steelers.

Colon is a fringe interior lineman making league minimum with no guaranteed money.  You should not be the voice of the offense or of the team.  Next to Brian Winters you were the worst lineman on the team last year.  Two front offices have made every effort to replace you through free agency and draft picks (Carpenter (tried Iupati and kid from Denver)....Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, Harrison). 

He is dead on but he's not the guy to be doing this IMO

It's not who says it, it's WHEN they say it. If, come the monday after week 3 of preseason, the staff says Geno's starting then ill start panicking.

Until then, the idea of Geno starting is laughable.

I agree with your conclusion on Smith.  he's not a good QB, and IMO his ceiling is mediocre.   I disagree in that I suspect he will be the starter opening day.

Gailey wants him to be the starter.   Gailey is known as a QB guru.  He should make the final decision on Smith, and I think he will.  Gailey prefers to run a spread offense.  If Smith has any up side it's out of the spread.  Gailey is know for building his offense around the QB's skills.  This is a good idea.  Problem is Smith and Fitz have very different skill sets.  The type of offense that's going to be installed is being built now.   Gailey wants a specific player to build his O around.

Gailey is going to make Smith a better QB then he has been.  Not good, but functional. 

IMO Bowles hired Gailey, even though he never worked with him, because he wanted  an OC who could work well with QB's and in the past has been very flexible about designing his offense around specific QB's..  I think Bowles is going to let Gailey do what he's paying him to do.  Pick the QB.   And get the most out of him he can.

Think Smith will be the starter opening day.

He has no awareness of who he is now.  You're not the 26 year old up and comer on the Steelers.

Colon is a fringe interior lineman making league minimum with no guaranteed money.  You should not be the voice of the offense or of the team.  Next to Brian Winters you were the worst lineman on the team last year.  Two front offices have made every effort to replace you through free agency and draft picks (Carpenter (tried Iupati and kid from Denver)....Winters, Aboushi, Campbell, Harrison). 

He is dead on but he's not the guy to be doing this IMO

He's one of the few guys on the team with a super bowl ring and has already proven he can play in the league for double digit years. I personally welcome it. You don't have to be the best player to be a leader in the locker room. 

Glad this is not an anonymous quote...."put your name on it" as they say.

Regarding the content of what he said, he's right. I've never really preferred game managers, but after the past six years of QB play, which consisted of I'd guess at least +100 turnovers, I really want the guy who will turn the ball over less.

He's one of the few guys on the team with a super bowl ring and has already proven he can play in the league for double digit years. I personally welcome it. You don't have to be the best player to be a leader in the locker room.

Maybe- but he's a castaway at this point.  I mean there is a real chance he's not on the roster this year.  It's like a Greg Salas roster bubble, it's awkward for him to be a "leader" at this stage IMO.

But he does have a good history, has a SB ring and he's dead on but I just wish there was someone else to be the vocal leader, like maybe the head coach.

I think a having a guy like Colon on the team is a good thing. I don't think anything he's saying is wrong or over the top. You need some vocal leaders to right the ship, especially when the top vets are mostly introverts like Harris, D'Brick and even Mangold doesn't say much. 

It's important to have vocal leaders on the team, but they should be players who can back up their talk with their play.  Colon is not that player.  As others have already stated, it's a very real possibility that he's not a member of this team come late August or the start of the regular season.  His play has slipped that far.  If he wants to be critical of another teammate, and especially the QB, then the least he could do is find a way to remember the snap count and not jump offside as much as he does.

Maybe- but he's a castaway at this point.  I mean there is a real chance he's not on the roster this year.  It's like a Greg Salas roster bubble, it's awkward for him to be a "leader" at this stage IMO.

But he does have a good history, has a SB ring and he's dead on but I just wish there was someone else to be the vocal leader, like maybe the head coach.

Nonsense. Colon is a leader on this team by the sheer fact of his experience.  If anyone is on the bubble, its Winters.  He has been a total flop and major disappointment since drafted.  Another one of Idziot's brilliant picks that needs to be given his walking papers. 

Nonsense. Colon is a leader on this team by the sheer fact of his experience. If anyone is on the bubble, its Winters. He has been a total flop and major disappointment since drafted. Another one of Idziot's brilliant picks that needs to be given his walking papers.

Winters is horrible he shouldn't even be on an nfl roster anywhere. How anyone still sees potential in that guy is - what are they watching?!?

By Bart HubbuchJune 2, 2015 | 5:52pm

Modal Trigger

Third-year Jets quarterback Geno Smith (left) received a sharp warning Tuesday from offensive lineman Willie Colon (right).

Geno Smith’s teammates aren’t pulling any punches with their third-year starting quarterback.

Veteran guard Willie Colon told SiriusXM radio Tuesday the Jets are Smith’s team — for better or worse — and warned him not to “crash” them this season.

“Geno … has made his mistakes,” Colon said. “He’s said some things where you look at him like, ‘What are you talking about?’ But I think that’s all about his maturation period. And I think right now … we bought the Porsche. We’ve given him the keys. He can’t crash it. Bottom line. He can’t crash it.”

With veteran Ryan Fitzpatrick still rehabilitating a leg injury and Bryce Petty and Jake Heaps still just rookies, Smith will enter training camp and most likely the season as Gang Green’s starter.

That’s a role Colon admitted Smith wasn’t ready for as a rookie himself in 2013.

“He was never ready to be the starting quarterback of the New York Jets,” Colon said. “When Mark Sanchez went down, he was thrown into the fire and he was forced to cook. Everybody knows in this league, to be a quarterback, which is the No. 1 position on the field, it’s a maturation period you have to go through. And it takes the mental, the physical, and everything to go along with it, to be the best, or even be in the top 10.”

I think Colon is a little outspoken.  This is the type of rhetoric you have behind closed doors and not in the open media.  Maybe Colon should consider a course in diplomacy.  Kind of feel sorry for Geno after reading the article.  I saw this yesterday.

It's important to have vocal leaders on the team, but they should be players who can back up their talk with their play.  Colon is not that player.  As others have already stated, it's a very real possibility that he's not a member of this team come late August or the start of the regular season.  His play has slipped that far.  If he wants to be critical of another teammate, and especially the QB, then the least he could do is find a way to remember the snap count and not jump offside as much as he does.

Colon has some penalty problems no doubt but hes not a terrible player and he does have the years behind him to be a vocal leader in the locker room especially if hes exactly right about what hes saying. Also until someone beats him out he will be the starter until one of the young guys is ready to step in.

No one on this board knows for sure what a guy like Colon contirbutes to a locker room but you don't always have to be a good player to be a good teacher or a good mentor. Some of the best Coaches in the NFL never made it in the league and some of them did but were journeyman players or JAG's I don't see any hall of fame players or even really good football players coaching in the NFL . Just making these ponts to support Colons stance if the guy is making good sense.

Colon is the definition of a jag. Was not good in Pittsburgh, and was just as big of an a$$hole there. The fans hated him and were happy to see him go. Ill be feeling the same way come August.

Colon has some penalty problems no doubt but hes not a terrible player and he does have the years behind him to be a vocal leader in the locker room especially if hes exactly right about what hes saying. Also until someone beats him out he will be the starter until one of the young guys is ready to step in.

No one on this board knows for sure what a guy like Colon contirbutes to a locker room but you don't always have to be a good player to be a good teacher or a good mentor. Some of the best Coaches in the NFL never made it in the league and some of them did but were journeyman players or JAG's I don't see any hall of fame players or even really good football players coaching in the NFL . Just making these ponts to support Colons stance if the guy is making good sense.

Archived