Other Factor In Wilkerson's Contract

KRL

Is the fact that Maccagnan was in HOU for the evaluation/drafting of Mario Williams
and JJ Watt.  After being exposed to those players Maccagnan may have a different
opinion of Wilkerson's ability than most of us do.  Remember HOU put a strict value
on Williams when he became a free agent and didn't budge when he left to go to BUF.
And I could imagine the high standard of performance Maccagnan has for DLinemen after
watching Watt destroy the league for four years.  Something to think about as this
process creeps along

I don't think the Jets have any intention whatsoever to extend Mo this year.

Resigning Mo next year comes down to the play of two players: Leonard Williams and Geno Smith. If the last great Geno Smith experiment fails, and Williams is everything he was supposed to be when the team drafted him, Wilkerson will then be used as a bargaining chip for a new QB. Whether as part of a package himself, or traded for picks used to move up, they'll be looking to convert DL value into QB value.

I think it'll take both Williams playing poorly and Geno playing well for the Jets to definitely resign Mo. If they both play well or both play poorly, I'd still figure the odds of trading Mo as more likely than not.

It doesn't matter that Maccagnan wasn't the GM.  He was part of the staff that evaluated those

players and watched them practice on a regular basis.  Being exposed to that type of talent

shapes his opinion now that he "sits in the big chair"

I don't think the Jets have any intention whatsoever to extend Mo this year.

Resigning Mo next year comes down to the play of two players: Leonard Williams and Geno Smith. If the last great Geno Smith experiment fails, and Williams is everything he was supposed to be when the team drafted him, Wilkerson will then be used as a bargaining chip for a new QB. Whether as part of a package himself, or traded for picks used to move up, they'll be looking to convert DL value into QB value.

I think it'll take both Williams playing poorly and Geno playing well for the Jets to definitely resign Mo. If they both play well or both play poorly, I'd still figure the odds of trading Mo as more likely than not.

Unless they're able to squeeze him into a vastly below-market contract (like a multi-year deal at what he's making this season), they only way they extend him is if Williams looks like a bust - or relative bust - or if they foresee a big problem in locking up Richardson when his number's up (like if they learn Sheldon won't sign any new deal for less than Suh dollars). Or naturally, if either one of those 2 gets seriously injured enough where either one's long-term playing level is in question.

Otherwise it's a horrible allocation of resources to re-sign what will be an unnecessary, 3rd starting DE to such a massive deal. Those resources are FAR better spent on an outright hole than at a position where we're already in amazing shape even without Mo.

It'll be curious to see what they do next year. If they know they'll have multiple suitors then they may tag him, but otherwise there's a good chance they just let him go and maybe just recoup a compensatory 3rd in 2017. The problem with the tag is it sets a bar, of sorts, for a long-term deal. If he's tagged at $14M for the season, then an annual amount of $10M is a huge pay cut (or that's how it'll be presented in negotiations, regardless of the total guaranteed amount). So if teams weren't lining up to trade for him this season - where he's a year younger and any extension would be an annual pay raise from what he's getting presently, and they would enjoy the leverage the Jets currently have with him - I don't see why the trade market for him would suddenly open up a year later if he's franchise-tagged.

It doesn't matter that Maccagnan wasn't the GM.  He was part of the staff that evaluated those

players and watched them practice on a regular basis.  Being exposed to that type of talent

The more I think about it I wonder if we as fans are over valuing Mo's talent on the field. NJ guy, great teammate, homegrown talent, etc.  Maybe he simply isn't as great a player as he/we thinks he is? I mean if you were starting a team now and had to pick Mo or Richardson, I bet 90% of the board would take Richardson.

Is the fact that Maccagnan was in HOU for the evaluation/drafting of Mario Williams

and JJ Watt.  After being exposed to those players Maccagnan may have a different

opinion of Wilkerson's ability than most of us do.  Remember HOU put a strict value

on Williams when he became a free agent and didn't budge when he left to go to BUF.

And I could imagine the high standard of performance Maccagnan has for DLinemen after

watching Watt destroy the league for four years.  Something to think about as this

process creeps along

Thats not a factor. Just because you saw one of the best DL of all time play in your team doesn't mean you devalue other talent. There's no comparison between JJ and Mo, or even between Mo and Mario. Now if Mo is asking $16mil per, then thats not happening. Cameron Jordon's deal should be an exact copy of what Mo should be getting. Hopefully he can be in the pro bowl one of these years.

Wha?

I dont see how the handling of Mario Williams has anything to do with BigMac. He was not the GM.

It doesn't. Mario was going to cost $60-80 mil to lock up they didn't want to be in cap hell. Nothing to do with his ability or Mac evaluating him let's hope not because Mario has been a beast in Buffalo.

It doesn't. Mario was going to cost $60-80 mil to lock up they didn't want to be in cap hell. Nothing to do with his ability or Mac evaluating him let's hope not because Mario has been a beast in Buffalo.

That was going to be my next point...if it was based on some type of evaluation then I'm nervous because Mario is a monster.

Just adding my 2 cents fwiw... While I think SR is the better player over Mo, I believe SR's personality and demands are going to be much harder to deal with then Mo. While I don't know this personally, I'm just basing that off comments from SR in the past. He seems to be a money first, rather then team first guy. Hope I'm wrong.

Let's hope Mo will take something a notch below he & his agent were looking for

If he were trade bait , wonder what QB he could be involved in a deal for next year.

Rivers seems like a no-go with SD's bid for a new stadium, strong DL, & Kellen Clemens at backup.

Maybe Glennon in Tampa & possibly some pick/additional player if Winston looks good.

Anyone willing to take Kirk Cousins + something if RG3 plays well for Wash?

Any other possibilities ?

Let's hope Mo will take something a notch below he & his agent were looking for

If he were trade bait , wonder what QB he could be involved in a deal for next year.

Rivers seems like a no-go with SD's bid for a new stadium, strong DL, & Kellen Clemens at backup.

Maybe Glennon in Tampa & possibly some pick/additional player if Winston looks good.

Anyone willing to take Kirk Cousins + something if RG3 plays well for Wash?

Any other possibilities ?

None of those.  Mo would be just another chip to move up for Conner Cook.

I can't believe that Mo Wilkerson keeps tweeting while his replacement Leonard Williams is at camp opening eyes,lol.

He'll be Wally pipped.

Mo is getting bad advice from his agent & they are both overvaluing him. The tape doesn't lie, with Coples in his place the pass rush was actually stepped up & we didn't miss a beat!

Does Mo think he's better than Cameron? The numbers don't say that.

Just because you were the best Dlineman on the team before Sheldon was picked doesn't mean sh*t.

process creeps along

Could very well be in play. No one in the league should either receive or get anywhere close to JJ Watt money if its not JJ Watt himself. This stat that I came across I couldnt confirm myself but I heard it from a Podcast linked directly from NFL.com

JJ Watt had a total of 112 QB pressures last year. Sheldon Richardson had the second most in the league behind JJ Watt.............with 52. Thats how far out of this world Watt is. Wilk needs to sign for 8 to 10 million (max) and call it a "pay day". If not, then Macc should stand his ground and trade him. JJ Watt has been the best player in the league over a 3 year span, in my eyes atleast. Wilk should take that into consideration when trying to compare contracts, simply because they play the same position. 

So technically we can tell Mo that he will not play for the next two seasons if he plays hardball right? We literally can own him for two years assuming the franchise tag is used.  If that is in fact the case, that's some serious leverage the Jets have over him. I think he is making some noise now but will show up for all mandatory activities. He's trying to let us know that he's serious about wanting a contract but He's got no real place to stand. He was injured last year on top of everything too. Mo needs to come and play to gain any leverage. His replacement is already on the team for Pete's sake.

I don't see this lasting too long. Either way it's going to give us a nice look into the tone that Macc and company take in such situations.

On one hand it's good that the new guys aren't tripping over themselves to resign him over some emotional reason. Otoh, I hope that they aren't saying "I drafted Watt I can do it again." No you cannot just manifest another JJ Watt into the league. Hopefully Williams pans out. Line needs to be put off to the side now and things like QB & OL need the same attention. Ferguson & Mangold arent getting younger. I could see Wilkerson being traded for a high first to replace DBrick next year. You may have to package in Chris Ivory or something but I think it's the elephant in the room that nobody is talking about.

I think it's more Mac doesn't think we can pay to keep everyone and it definitely makes more sense to extend Coples for a fraction of what Wilk would cost

Coples?  Seriously?  I don't see it.  They are not even in the same stratosphere.

Mac most likely had little to do with that and letting Mario go was more of a cap strategic move

Yes, I think it also had to do with the fact that he didn't fit what Wade Phillips wanted to do at the price.  He was hurt for most of 2011 and the Texans D still went from bottom of the barrel to top 5 or 10.   It made it much easier to let him walk and use the money elsewhere.

Coples? Seriously? I don't see it. They are not even in the same stratosphere

This is what I'm talking about with jets fans overrating Mo. Our defense looked exactly the same last year when Coples lined at DE when he was injured. Trade him for picks.

Archived