What if: Wilkerson Traded for a High 1st Next Year to replace DBrick?

Lizard King

Ferguson & Mangold aren't getting younger. I could see Wilkerson being traded for a high first to replace DBrick next year. You may have to package in Chris Ivory or something but I think it's the elephant in the room that nobody is talking about.

So we give up a top talent DE in his prime, in order to replace a good LT with an unknown quantity?

Why not just use our own #1 pick next year on a LT prospect, and keep Mo? You can find a LT outside of the Top 10.

Ferguson & Mangold aren't getting younger. I could see Wilkerson being traded for a high first to replace DBrick next year. You may have to package in Chris Ivory or something but I think it's the elephant in the room that nobody is talking about.

I was thinking about that scenario this past draft. When the Big Cat dropped to us I was hoping that the Jets was able to trade back with teams like the Browns or Saints for their 2 first rounders. Pick up Andrus Peat and another Tackle and have them sit behind those guys for a year. 

How about we try and develop one of the young guys we have to replace Brick... maybe Aboushi can step up and replace Geno at RT and then move him to LT in 2017?

6'5" / 34" arms/ 308 lbs/ 10.5" hands. Needs to get stronger.

Has similar physical attributes of D'Brick coming out of school.... maybe he step[s up?

How about we try and develop one of the young guys we have to replace Brick... maybe Aboushi can step up and replace Geno at RT and then move him to LT in 2017?

Has similar physical attributes of D'Brick coming out of school.... maybe he step[s up?

Exactly.  We seem to be loaded at the G spots, so it only makes sense that 1 or 2 of the guys we have kick out to T spots.  I highly doubt anyone we have is LT material but this is a very good season to experiment with the depth we have then reevaluate next offseason.

Let's keep Wilkerson.  Draft LT next year...   as for Cardale Jones, any team who is bad enough to be in a position to draft him is not trading down....

Unless TB, Tenn., Oakland find themselves in the top 3 this year. They would trade out.

That is a dangerous game.  You never know when you will end up with a Jason Smith   Even guys that are on-track don't generally start out as quality LTs from day 1 they way Brick did.  Jake Matthews, and Eric Fisher started at RT.  Greg Robinson started at guard.  You don't trade a player for a future draft pick and decide what position you are going to use that pick on. What if there is a run on tackles and you end up sitting at #4 overall with two tackles already off the board, like the Eagles in 2013?  Do you pull the trigger anyway because you need to replace D'Brick ? 

That is a dangerous game.  You never know when you will end up with a Jason Smith   Even guys that are on-track don't generally start out as quality LTs from day 1 they way Brick did.  Jake Matthews, and Eric Fisher started at RT.  Greg Robinson started at guard.  You don't trade a player for a future draft pick and decide what position you are going to use that pick on. What if there is a run on tackles and you end up sitting at #4 overall with two tackles already off the board, like the Eagles in 2013?  Do you pull the trigger anyway because you need to replace D'Brick ? 

I have to assume the OP assumed that the draft capital acquired would allow us to package picks together and move up.  But as the Eagles and several other teams reportedly found out, that's not always easy.  And if we're going to move up in the draft, it really should be for a QB, not a LT.  Otherwise I think that's putting the cart before the horse.  Acquire your franchise QB, THEN get a LT to protect him.

Better yet, re-sign Wilkerson and worry about the rest of it later. 

Wilkerson isn't enough to get a 1 back? We have to add a solid starting RB into the deal?

And then you think Macc is going to abandon his best player available and target the OL?

The only reason to deal Mo for a high first would be to select an actual Quarterback of the future. Next year's draft may have a couple. You can find a D'Brick replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Exactly, if they do intend to do it, trade him to a bad team that may be picking in the top 3 and trade up if necessary for a QB.

Unless TB, Tenn., Oakland find themselves in the top 3 this year. They would trade out.

As of today, there are 3 solid prospects coming out. Who that will pick high next year needs a QB? Never know today, things can change between the prospects and team needs but we can hope

IF they can get Mo for under $12M per I think they get it done.  I don't think he is going to hold out, but he will avoid all voluntary activities.  This is pretty standard practice.

As of today, there are 3 solid prospects coming out. Who that will pick high next year needs a QB? Never know today, things can change between the prospects and team needs but we can hope

Whoever picks high needs a QB.  That is the NFL.  People think the Raiders are going to accept picking top 5 again and stick with Derek Carr?  I don't see it.

OL guys can play at a high level for a while. I really wouldn't be worried about Brick or Mangold for at least another 2-3 years. I have no doubt Brick will return to elite status. Mangold is still the best center in the game, IMO.

OL guys can play at a high level for a while. I really wouldn't be worried about Brick or Mangold for at least another 2-3 years. I have no doubt Brick will return to elite status. Mangold is still the best center in the game, IMO.

You should be worried.  Ferguson is making $12M this year and $14M in 2016 and 2017.  Mangold is making like $9M per.  They had better be playing at elite status.  Cutting Ferguson this year would save $2.5M, but next year it would save $9M.  I don't think he is performing at that level, but you can't discount his durability. 

The only reason to deal Mo for a high first would be to select an actual Quarterback of the future. Next year's draft may have a couple. You can find a D'Brick replacement in the 2nd or 3rd round.

I agree. I think Maccagnan does, too.

I was thinking about that scenario this past draft. When the Big Cat dropped to us I was hoping that the Jets was able to trade back with teams like the Browns or Saints for their 2 first rounders. Pick up Andrus Peat and another Tackle and have them sit behind those guys for a year.

You wanted the jets to draft TWO 1st round OT's and have them both sit for a year? That's absurd

The reason is that the team would be better with an extra 1st plus an extra $8M/year (Mo's next contract amount minus the 1st round pick's contract amount) to use on another, rather than a logjam of 3 players at a position where you can only start 2 (and where we already have 2-3 without Mo).

It's just a numbers game. Whether a new left tackle or a high-priced FA guard/RT filling a hole is better use of a #1 pick plus mega cap space than at a position where upgrades will be difference-makers. And we could fill both of those positions just from trading Mo. The extra $23M+ in space cleared from 2016-2017 for Ferguson is gravy.

If the plan was to absolutely re-sign Mo, the Jets would have traded the #6 pick once Williams fell to us. 

The only reason to re-sign him (other than injury or poor play from others) is if they don't plan on meeting Richardson's demands when that time comes.

lol, this elephant has been talked about a bunch. And Im not opposed to the idea of replacing DBrick next year. I'd much rather we trade D'Brick too then for a 2nd day pick. He's not ancient, but 32 isn't young either.

Geno actually might be good at RT, you never know.

Exactly.  We seem to be loaded at the G spots, so it only makes sense that 1 or 2 of the guys we have kick out to T spots.  I highly doubt anyone we have is LT material but this is a very good season to experiment with the depth we have then reevaluate next offseason.

We just gave out over $200million worth contracts. That wasn't an experiment.

Haha what?  This comment has absolutely nothing to do with what I'm talking about.  The top contract guys aren't ones you "experiment" with, it's the middle and bottom parts of the roster with which you can always afford to do that.  We have four guys (Aboushi, Colon, Harrison, Winters) in the mix at RG.  Not all of them are making the 45-man gameday rosters.  Experimenting with guys like that has zero impact on wins and losses in 2015.

Giving out $200 million worth of contracts doesn't really mean this won't be a down year. They spent that much money just to bring the talent level of the team to an acceptable NFL standard. Hate to beat a dead horse, but with the uncertainty of the QB situation, this is likely another middling year until a true answer is found there, no matter how much money was thrown at the other problems the team had.

The reason is that the team would be better with an extra 1st plus an extra $8M/year (Mo's next contract amount minus the 1st round pick's contract amount) to use on another, rather than a logjam of 3 players at a position where you can only start 2 (and where we already have 2-3 without Mo).

It's just a numbers game. Whether a new left tackle or a high-priced FA guard/RT filling a hole is better use of a #1 pick plus mega cap space than at a position where upgrades will be difference-makers. And we could fill both of those positions just from trading Mo. The extra $23M+ in space cleared from 2016-2017 for Ferguson is gravy.

If the plan was to absolutely re-sign Mo, the Jets would have traded the #6 pick once Williams fell to us. 

The only reason to re-sign him (other than injury or poor play from others) is if they don't plan on meeting Richardson's demands when that time comes.

was it ever leaked what type of offers they got for the 6th pick?  i would have loved for them to move down 10 spots or so and pick up some more picks.

i think getting a high 1st for Mo is very unlikely.  i would be happy with a late 1st.

So we give up a top talent DE in his prime, in order to replace a good LT with an unknown quantity?

Why not just use our own #1 pick next year on a LT prospect, and keep Mo? You can find a LT outside of the Top 10.

Wisdom ^

Who says we will be picking outside of the Top 10?

So you think they'll trade a top 10 DL for a rookie lineman?

How about trading Mo for Justin Houston straight up? They'd have Mo on a cheaper contract for a couple of years, we get a Beast at OLB for 5 years if we can get a deal done.

Chiefs, Justin Houston talking but not making significant progress
Posted by Mike Florio on June 4, 2015, 9:10 AM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

All players restricted by the franchise tag have until July 15 to sign long-term contracts with their current teams. After that, they can accept only one-year deals to stay put.

As to the Chiefs and linebacker Justin Houston, who racked up 22.0 sacks in his contract year, there’s still a chance a long-term deal will be negotiated. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the two sides have been talking. However, significant progress has not yet been made.

Houston, who can earn $13.1 million under the one-year franchise tag for linebackers, has a clear objective regarding the value of a long-term deal. It’s still not clear what he’ll do if he doesn’t get the figure he desires.

He could stay away from all offseason work, training camp, and the preseason, showing up in early September and still collecting his full salary. The only risk is that the franchise tender will be rescinded, which seems highly unlikely given his production in 2014. (That said, coach Andy Reid has twice before yanked a franchise tender, from linebacker Jeremiah Trotter and later from defensive tackle Corey Simon.)

Houston also could hold out through 10 weeks of the regular season, showing up late, getting the prorated portion of the $13.1 million over the balance of the season, and doing it all over again next year, at a 20-percent raise.

It’s still possible, in theory, that someone else will sign Houston to an offer sheet, willing to give up first-round picks in 2016 and 2017 if the Chiefs don’t match. But since that hasn’t happened yet — indeed, no team has even brought Houston in for a visit — that would seem to be a long shot, at most.

If, as it appears, no one will make a run at Houston, it’s unlikely that any non-quarterback will ever be pursued via the franchise tag. Between the financial obligation it takes to craft an offer that wouldn’t or couldn’t be matched and the pair of first-round picks that would be sacrificed, teams apparently believe it’s simply too much to give up for someone other than an actual or potential franchise quarterback.

And that’s good news for the Chiefs, who seem to be destined to keep Houston. The only question is whether he stays under a long-term contract, a full season of the franchise tag, or a chunk of the 2015 regular season.

Archived