What Sophomore NFL players will have the greatest jump this year?

Villain The Foe

I think the Oakland Raiders will get a significant jolt on both sides of the ball from Khalil Mack and Derek Carr. Another guy is Charles Sims from Tampa. I think with the addition of Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet makes that horrid O-line much better. Also, adding a guy like Kenny Bell to the receivers will force defenses to provide more attention to the passing game. Charles Sims, a guy who I wanted the Jets to draft last year should be able to provide a running game for Tampa as well as contribute to the passing game. 

Who are your guys? 

I am more worried about Amaro than I am about Pryor.

Same here. I think Pryor will come in to his own this year. And I just don't see Amaro as a 1k tight end while he's not know for blocking to begin with.

I'd be ecstatic with 800

If he gets to 800 this year, that will mean he'll eventually get to 1k, which I don't see him. I think the more reasonable expectations from him this yr would be 600+ yards.

The last 2 TE's Gailey has worked with are Tony Gonzalez (2008, his final year in KC, when Gailey was the OC) and Scott Chandler (2010-12 Bills).  Gonzalez caught 96 passes for 1,058 yards and 10 TD's, par for the course with him. 

Chandler is the more interesting case for our purposes.  He was a 4th round pick in 2007 but couldn't stick with the Chargers.  He was out of football from 2008-09, caught 1 pass with Buffalo in 2010, then earned starting duties in 2011.  His numbers:

2011:  38 catches, 389 yards, 6 TD's

2012:  43 catches, 571 yards, 6 TD's

Post-Gailey:

2013:  53 catches, 655 yards, 2 TD's

2014:  47 catches, 497 yards, 3 TD's

Gailey clearly liked using his TE as a red zone threat more than Marrone did.  I think we can hope for better productivity out of Amaro than Chandler, a relative nobody before Gailey came along.

Takes two to tango and Amaro ain't got much of a selection for dance partners.

Eric Decker was one catch away from a 1k season. Amaro was two season away from a 1k grand total. He's not going to tango anytime soon imo.

Barr, Shazier, Cooks, Pryor, Hyde, Tuitt, Amaro, Mack, Tre Mason, Louis Nix, Dri Archer, and a couple DBs other than the already mentioned Pryor.

I don't include Sammmmmaaaaaayyy not because he isn't a nuts talent, but because Rex and the Bills.

Barr, Shazier, Cooks, Pryor, Hyde, Tuitt, Amaro, Mack, Tre Mason, Louis Nix, Dri Archer, and a couple DBs other than the already mentioned Pryor.

I don't include Sammmmmaaaaaayyy not because he isn't a nuts talent, but because Rex and the Bills.

Well when you run 55 times a game like Rextard says he is going to, not many chances for receptions.

Bold, bold predictions here.

guys I got a feeling Jadeveom Clowney might have a good second year seems to me he has the talent

This is the guy I was thinking too. Its almost like everyone forgot about the number one over all pick last season.  He makes an impact this season I think.

This is the guy I was thinking too. Its almost like everyone forgot about the number one over all pick last season. He makes an impact this season I think.

I will be surprised if he doesn't, since most of the Oline will be trying to block JJ Watt.

guys I got a feeling Jadeveom Clowney might have a good second year seems to me he has the talent

JJ and Wilfork will eat up a lot of blockers.   Clowney will have 1 on 1's with a lot of running back.  If he's healthy, 12-15 sacks is very doable.

Their D could be impressive.

Guys that I think take another step up, besides some of the ones mentioned:

Martavius Bryant.  He was considered pretty raw in the draft (and apparently wasn't close enough to Seth to get a recommendation), but he really came on last year, and I think he takes another step this year.  That defense to me is sliding backwards, so there should be more shootouts, and I think his stats are going to be impressive.  Brown takes a ton of coverage his way, and Rothelesberger loves throwing the deep passes, especially because no one seems to be able to tackle him.   

Bradley Roby:  I think CBs make one of the biggest jumps from first year to second year, and he was pretty good last year, and has all the tools to be a stud.  I think he takes a major step up, and gets some interceptions this year.   

Jordan Mathews:  I think this has more to do with opportunity than anything, but he'll make a leap on those stats because he's just going to have more opportunities.  

I think the Oakland Raiders will get a significant jolt on both sides of the ball from Khalil Mack and Derek Carr. Another guy is Charles Sims from Tampa. I think with the addition of Donovan Smith and Ali Marpet makes that horrid O-line much better. Also, adding a guy like Kenny Bell to the receivers will force defenses to provide more attention to the passing game. Charles Sims, a guy who I wanted the Jets to draft last year should be able to provide a running game for Tampa as well as contribute to the passing game.

Who are your guys?

Khalil Mack now 265 pounds ( played at 253) is going to be a beast. ( sacks will really increase a lot this year(

I don't think that is the only two Raiders players ( Mack and Carr) that will make a big jump in their sophomore year. Last year draft probably saved Reggie Mckenize job( Raiders had one of the best drafts in 2014). Dt Justin Ellis , Lg Gabe Jackson , and CbTravis Carrie( been more consistent than Dj Hayden) all should make a big jump their sophomore seasons. All five of those players are key starters.

Two other worth mentioning that aren't starters cb Keith McGill 6'3 215 33 1/4 arm length ( didn't play that much ) is great fit in Seattle type of defense( going to be nickel Cb - T Carrie will move inside when he comes in) S Jonathan Dowling 6'3 190 33 1/4 arm length wouldn't surprised if he saw time at cb against certain teams ( couldn't play cb in a lot of systems but like McGill in a Seattle type of defense , he is a good fit). Might get the responsibility of matching up with the Te's also.

Just like us taking Williams even though we had Wilkerson I thought the Jets should have taken Bridgewater even though we had Geno.

I was in the camp we need to keep taking a QB.

Especially after Bridgewater dropped from one poor pro day.

Bridgewater is my choice, with AP back he's gonna have a breakout year.

Archived