Least Favorite Offseason Move?

AFJF

Justifiably lots of love for the new regime and the moves they've made thus far.

However, we all know that no front office is going to bat 1.000 with their transactions so some of these moves aren't going to go as well as we're all hoping.

Of all the signings/trades/re-signings...which move will turn out to be the biggest mistake and why? 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wasn't thrilled when we extended David Harris, but it seems awfully nitpicky for a "worst move".  He's just going to be a somewhat expensive one-trick pony for us on run D until we find a more well-rounded and athletic ILB. 

I would have liked to add an OT prospect to challenge Breno and/or down the road replace Brick, but I'm not sure where in the draft that was supposed to happen.  We acquired highly rated players at positions of need basically throughout the draft, and in the 1st got the best player in the draft.  Williams + Devin Smith >> Kevin White + O-Line or O-Line + Devin Smith in my eyes.  Can't complain about that.

Not to mention, it doesn't seem to me that any of the moves we made will prevent us from re-signing Wilkerson and Richardson if/when we choose to do so.  Re-structures/cuts can and will make room when the time comes.

Gailey naming Geno the de facto starter.  Bowles later backed off it, but that was really the biggest sour moment for me.  All I ask is that he go into TC thinking he needs to win the job, not 'not lose' it.

I'm also curious about not extending Wilkerson, but I can't come out and say I think it is a mistake, at least at this point in time.

Gailey naming Geno the de facto starter.  Bowles later backed off it, but that was really the biggest sour moment for me.  All I ask is that he go into TC thinking he needs to win the job, not 'not lose' it.

I'm also curious about not extending Wilkerson, but I can't come out and say I think it is a mistake, at least at this point in time.

Bowles did not really back off it though, he just stated that Geno could lose it if he plays awful. 

Bowles did not really back off it though, he just stated that Geno could lose it if he plays awful. 

He did, but that was backing off somewhat.  Maybe just splitting hairs, but Gailey said no competition because Geno is the starter unless there's an injury.  Bowles basically said injury isn't the only way he wouldn't start.

First least favorite move was Cromartie.  I'm not sure I even want him on the field.  He gives up too many big plays and the contract seemed crazy.  Later when it turned out that it is basically only a series of one year deals it moved on to Harris.

I like Harris and I am happy to have him around, but that is a bunch of money and we won't be able to get rid of him very soon.  I like Harris and I am happy to have him back, but that price is steep.  People were talking about having him back cheap and I figured that he would test the market and get another nice pay day.  I just did not think it would be here.

First least favorite move was Cromartie.  I'm not sure I even want him on the field.  He gives up too many big plays and the contract seemed crazy.  Later when it turned out that it is basically only a series of one year deals it moved on to Harris.

I like Harris and I am happy to have him around, but that is a bunch of money and we won't be able to get rid of him very soon.  I like Harris and I am happy to have him back, but that price is steep.  People were talking about having him back cheap and I figured that he would test the market and get another nice pay day.  I just did not think it would be here.

Yep, all of this.  The Cro deal works out nicely if either McDougle, Milliner, or both (probably McDougle) are able to prove they deserve the # 2 CB job.  Cro gets cut after 2015 and we move on with our lives.

Skipping that spelling lesson?

;)

D'oh...funny because I thought I'd paid closer attention to that specific word in case my brain told me to type it with the English spelling (favourite) after living over there for so long and I just created my own version.

D'oh...funny because I thought I'd paid closer attention to that specific word in case my brain told me to type it with the English spelling (favourite) after living over there for so long and I just created my own version.

Whatever dude, its nots "created my own version". You stole it from Fatcessa, didn't you?

Skrine was unnecessary. Oline didn't get the help it needed.

Did you watch Kyle Wilson last year? He he was.

And the o-line really isn't that bad at all. PFF ranked the Jets o-line league-average in pass protection. You can blame Geno for making the line looking worse than it was.

Whatever dude, its nots "created my own version". You stole it from Fatcessa, didn't you?

Where did you get that from?  Who are your sauces?

I would have taken the $6 mil we gave to Cro and James Carpenter and given it to Iupati.

If im not mistaken we signed Carpenter before free agency when there was no guarantee that Lupati would have been a free agent, and Cro was signed after Lupati was already gone (we had the cap space to sign the guy it just wasn't meant to be)

Agreed.  Cro isnt very good.  I know its all exciting having him and Revis back but I think honeymoon will end when people see how shot he is at this point in his career.  The Harris extension for that type of coin just makes zero sense to me, like I really dont get it at all.

Wasnt thrilled about the Ridley signing.  I dont think he's good, he couldnt hold on to a deflated ball and the timing was awful.  A week before the draft?  It wasnt necessary.  Seems like it was a waste of signing and he's just going to take reps from the guys you actually want with the ball in their hand.  These are the types of signings you wait till after the draft.  Who cares about his market?  

Gilchrist is meh, but it filled a need for the time being as it seems his contract has some outs after this year.

But this is all complaining to complain.  The only contract that looks like it could sting is Harris.  The rest look like they have outs. 

Not sure if the draft is excluded from "offseason moves" but I could complain if we're being nitpicky. 

Cro- seemed a bit luxurious after the Revis signing, and in reality it's a one year deal so he is not a foundational player but a rental for a lot of money that could have been used elsewhere.

This is a little bit of "we're putting the band back together" in this though.  Revis and Cro both back feels pretty good after last season.  It was worth a few extra million this season IMO and adding the Bowles knows him, I can't knock it at all. 

Getting rid of Rex .....obviously.

I wonder if Rex cried when he saw all of the additions we made to our defense, with the depth and talent we have on defense he would have had a blast. I am looking forward to see what Bowles can do with it and I am also very hopeful that Bowels is able to run the offense better but in many ways I do feel bad for Rex. The one thing I do miss about having Rex is that there was always something to talk about (unfortunately normally negative) but it seemed like every day there was a new article written on the Jets.

And on a side note I am also glad we got Bowles over Quinn as I think Bowles is a better fit for the talent on our team.

Agreed.  Cro isnt very good.  I know its all exciting having him and Revis back but I think honeymoon will end when people see how shot he is at this point in his career.  The Harris extension for that type of coin just makes zero sense to me, like I really dont get it at all.

Wasnt thrilled about the Ridley signing.  I dont think he's good, he couldnt hold on to a deflated ball and the timing was awful.  A week before the draft?  It wasnt necessary.  Seems like it was a waste of signing and he's just going to take reps from the guys you actually want with the ball in their hand.  These are the types of signings you wait till after the draft.  Who cares about his market?  

Gilchrist is meh, but it filled a need for the time being as it seems his contract has some outs after this year.

But this is all complaining to complain.  The only contract that looks like it could sting is Harris.  The rest look like they have outs. 

Not sure if the draft is excluded from "offseason moves" but I could complain if we're being nitpicky. 

Cro is a strange case.  I don't know how he did last season, but I heard he wasn't so great down the stretch.  We all consider his 2013 a bad year, but I read an article from one of the "advanced stats" places which discussed it and it was more a mixed bag.  Apparently he was good to very good in almost all categories - particularly completion percentage against, but he gave up an inordinate amount of long TDs which brought his year down.  Part of that could be the poor safety play.  They were running Dawan Landry and Allen most of the year and then added the shadow of Ed Reed.  It may be why this FO was so hell bent on getting Gilchrist.  I was thinking with Skine that we could hope for Milliner/McDougle to fill the slot, but we will see.

Marshall by a mile, then Harris, then Cromartie. Passing on Odighizuwa for Mauldin might end up being more damaging than all three, though.

Is this an "I can't believe they didn't draft Odell Beckham Jr" post, or did you hate the trade down?  Odighizuwa went like 10 picks before Mauldin, didn't he?

Archived