Least Favorite Offseason Move?

AFJF

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have taken the $6 mil we gave to Cro and James Carpenter and given it to Iupati.

If im not mistaken we signed Carpenter before free agency when there was no guarantee that Lupati would have been a free agent, and Cro was signed after Lupati was already gone (we had the cap space to sign the guy it just wasn't meant to be)

Iupati agreed to terms with the Cards first, then we signed Carpenter.  The interesting thing to me was that reports had us pursuing Orlando Franklin before we went after Iupati.

I don't think my least favorite move of the offseason has happened yet, but I don't think Harris was worth the money.

When they cut Darrin Walls?

Agreed.  Cro isnt very good.  I know its all exciting having him and Revis back but I think honeymoon will end when people see how shot he is at this point in his career.  The Harris extension for that type of coin just makes zero sense to me, like I really dont get it at all.

Wasnt thrilled about the Ridley signing.  I dont think he's good, he couldnt hold on to a deflated ball and the timing was awful.  A week before the draft?  It wasnt necessary.  Seems like it was a waste of signing and he's just going to take reps from the guys you actually want with the ball in their hand.  These are the types of signings you wait till after the draft.  Who cares about his market?  

Gilchrist is meh, but it filled a need for the time being as it seems his contract has some outs after this year.

But this is all complaining to complain.  The only contract that looks like it could sting is Harris.  The rest look like they have outs. 

Not sure if the draft is excluded from "offseason moves" but I could complain if we're being nitpicky. 

I think Gilchrist is gonna' be a nice surprise if you think he's "meh"....I could be dead wrong, but he had some really good games against some of the top slot guys in the NFL last season. 

Justifiably lots of love for the new regime and the moves they've made thus far.

However, we all know that no front office is going to bat 1.000 with their transactions so some of these moves aren't going to go as well as we're all hoping.

Of all the signings/trades/re-signings...which move will turn out to be the biggest mistake and why? 

The Harris contract, which is a huge overpay that will handicap them in making other moves.  On the plus side, it does come with a pretty solid floor, and as "worst moves" go, it's livable.

My only two real issues (albeit pretty small ones) are overpaying to bring back Harris, and not signing a speedy/receiving RB... Harris has been solid for the most part, and has been a Jet his entire career but there's no denying we overpaid by quite a bit for a 31 year old linebacker. It remains to be seen if the other issue will truly be a problem for this offense, we have good depth, but they're all similar style RBs with the exception of Powell. I wonder who they'll have as a passing down/3rd down back seeing as the player with the most receptions in a season is Powell.

My only "complaint" would be the 15 million guaranteed we gave to Harris.  I wanted to keep that number

in the 10-12 million range.  Very minor beef

Agreed. Comments about Gilchrist and Skrine being luxuries are misplaced, IMHO. In Bowles' system, you need plenty of depth at CB and safety. Re OL, I'm not sure who was available that we actually had a shot at.

Remember when i mentioned how bad the Cro and Harris moves were. Seemed like I was the ONLY one at that time and got flamed for it. Fun times!

You have complained about practically every move of the off-season. I think the one thing you got right -- Harris -- was lost in the shuffle. We can debate Cro all day. We'll soon find out if he's got something in the tank or not. I'm betting he does and that he will benefit from the synergy of Revis on the other side. If he's healthy, he'll be worth the deal.

Iupati agreed to terms with the Cards first, then we signed Carpenter.  The interesting thing to me was that reports had us pursuing Orlando Franklin before we went after Iupati.

When they cut Darrin Walls?

Lupati signed real quick if I remember- not sure if we had a chance to get him. I would have to say Harris-opted for stability at the position and hoping other changes will compensate for older linebacker liability

Is this an "I can't believe they didn't draft Odell Beckham Jr" post, or did you hate the trade down?  Odighizuwa went like 10 picks before Mauldin, didn't he?

I'm not TomShane but I'd guess he's saying that we traded out of spot where we could have take Odighizuwa, instead of just taking him over Maudlin.

I think Gilchrist is gonna' be a nice surprise if you think he's "meh"....I could be dead wrong, but he had some really good games against some of the top slot guys in the NFL last season. 

I hope you're right! 

Is this an "I can't believe they didn't draft Odell Beckham Jr" post, or did you hate the trade down? Odighizuwa went like 10 picks before Mauldin, didn't he?

The trade-down was ok, especially if Harrison turns into something. I'd have preferred staying put at 70 and taking OO though. I wonder if we thought he'd still be there at 82.

The trade-down was ok, especially if Harrison turns into something. I'd have preferred staying put at 70 and taking OO though. I wonder if we thought he'd still be there at 82.

It might have been one of those things where they had a group of players they liked and figured one had to be available.  If they wanted an OLB/PRS, they traded out of 70, OO went 74, Eli Harold went 79.  The Jets took Mauldin at 82 and then Jordan HIcks went 84 to the Eagles and Danielle Hunter at 88.

Exactly.  lance, who are you starting at the slot CB spot if Skrine isn't the guy?

Williams, milliner, McDougle. Skrine was originally signed to be our CB2 I believe, but got bumped down after the Cro signing. Skrine is very small and had the second most penalties in league (at any position) last year. It's a nitpick but I think that's what the thread is about. Opinions on least popular moves. Skrine cost money better spent on Mo or the line. Jmo

Wanted a pass catching RB in the 3rd when we traded back.

Hoping Mauldins a monster, had a very Bruschi type of college career.

Guy had over over 20 sacks & a sh*tload of tackles behind the LOS.

Shows he has a nose for the ball & sticks it in there.

At the time of the draft, my mind and Kiper's were in sync since he took the words right out of my mouth. Overall solid draft, but I would have liked to see OT addressed he said. That was the only non-move I was disappointed in. Sure we signed some OT FA guys like the 330lber from the Giants and have that backup whose last name escapes me starting with a J, but those are marginal moves. We need some good long term prospects there and didn't really address it via the draft or FA this year. I actually feel that after this Guard competition is done anyone who makes the team, but loses out on the starting Job like Doozier (who has College OT experience) need to be moved back to that position and start getting in a comfort zone there. I know Guard has seemed to be our more immediate need, but we are thin at OT depth both short and long term and I would even say if we can we should address a long term prospect in the 1st or 2nd round of the 2016 draft.  Brick and the RT Gen. whatever are pretty good, but who knows how long they will keep going.

Wanted a pass catching RB in the 3rd when we traded back.

Hoping Mauldins a monster, had a very Bruschi type of college career.

Guy had over over 20 sacks & a sh*tload of tackles behind the LOS.

Shows he has a nose for the ball & sticks it in there.

I don't know if Mauldin will be a monster, but I think he will be a high floor guy that will be able to provide some help fairly quickly.  I like him.

signing jason ******* taylor and tim ******* tebow

oh you meant this year ?

not a lot of attention to special teams

maybe that happens in the mini-draft

I'm not so sure they didn't pay attention to special teams.  Some of these guys seem like serious special teamers, including the 2nd Smith.  I don't know if they are going to let him play there.  I think they added some coverage guys.  They did not seem to deal with punt returner though, which is a bit scary.  I am at least 2 years past being tired of Kerley there.

I don't know if Mauldin will be a monster, but I think he will be a high floor guy that will be able to provide some help fairly quickly.  I like him.

I'm not so sure they didn't pay attention to special teams.  Some of these guys seem like serious special teamers, including the 2nd Smith.  I don't know if they are going to let him play there.  I think they added some coverage guys.  They did not seem to deal with punt returner though, which is a bit scary.  I am at least 2 years past being tired of Kerley there.

kerley makes me hold my breath, lol

and we haven't had a decent punter in years

I think my biggest regret is not getting a pass catching RB in the draft this year, especially when Coleman and Ajayi were available.  I'm guessing the team felt that they like power runners to compliment a spread system because they are more likely to run through guys at the point of attack, but someone like Coleman would've been perfect.  

Williams, milliner, McDougle. Skrine was originally signed to be our CB2 I believe, but got bumped down after the Cro signing. Skrine is very small and had the second most penalties in league (at any position) last year.

It's because Skrine is 5-9 that I have no doubt he was always going to be our nickle guy. Had we not signed Cro then Milliner and McDougle would be competing for the spot accords from Revis, not the nickle job.

Gailey naming Geno the de facto starter.  Bowles later backed off it, but that was really the biggest sour moment for me.  All I ask is that he go into TC thinking he needs to win the job, not 'not lose' it.

I'm also curious about not extending Wilkerson, but I can't come out and say I think it is a mistake, at least at this point in time.

Good post ... + 1

If im not mistaken we signed Carpenter before free agency when there was no guarantee that Lupati would have been a free agent, and Cro was signed after Lupati was already gone (we had the cap space to sign the guy it just wasn't meant to be)

You are mistaken.

Mac badly wanted to sign Iupati, who was to be the team's the top priority once FA officially began. He chose Arizona.

The backup plan was (reportedly) Orlando Franklin, who signed with SD.

Carpenter was the backup plan to the backup plan, or Mac's #3 choice, and was only signed after Iupati and Franklin signed - or announced they would sign - with other teams.

This thread is too negative for me. I don't like conjuring negative vibes from a great offseason. Where's the "Favorite off season move?" Thread?

I figured the dozen or so "Jets won the offseason" threads gave people the chance to discuss what it was they liked most about what has been an incredible few months...JMO of course.

Archived