How did the Colts make it as far as they did last year?

FSU_Jet

I was watching highlights of the AFCCG (God knows why) and I was just appalled by how bad the Colts are. No heart, no balls, no guts. The Pats didn't even do anything special, just the typical dink-and-dunk passes that Brady is usually known for. I didn't see a single player on defense hustle or give a sh*t when a Pats receiver caught the ball. Receivers rarely if ever got open. Zero pass protection. Zero run game.

How did they even make it that far? They shouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs, let alone AFCCG last season.

I was watching highlights of the AFCCG (God knows why) and I was just appalled by how bad the Colts are. No heart, no balls, no guts. The Pats didn't even do anything special, just the typical dink-and-dunk passes that Brady is usually known for. I didn't see a single player on defense hustle or give a sh*t when a Pats receiver caught the ball. Receivers rarely if ever got open. Zero pass protection. Zero run game.

How did they even make it that far? They shouldn't have even sniffed the playoffs, let alone AFCCG last season.

If they really are that bad, just confirms once again how far a team can go with a franchise QB.

They're just a dumb franchise.  Just look at the 2015 draft.  Why the f*ck would you take a WR (Dorsett) in the first round when your defense is that awful?  Granted, they used their next 4 picks all on the defensive side of the ball, but they're just terrible at building a roster.  In 2014 they traded away their 1st round pick for Trent Richardson.  Their 2013 draft was useless.  That same year they traded Jerry Hughes to Buffalo straight up for LB Kelvin Sheppard, who was off the roster following the end of the season.  Hughes finished the season with 10 sacks.

If it weren't for the Colts getting extremely fortunate by drafting 1st when Elway, Manning, and Luck were on the board....they wouldn't win d*ck.  Their QB's have masked a sh*tty, sh*tty decision-making franchise. 

They beat up on the worst division in Football.  Then they drew the Bengals in the WC, which is basically a guaranteed playoff victory.  Manning was shot by the time they played the Broncos and then they were cheated out of a Super Bowl in the AFCC Game.

If Andrew Luck is the QB here, the Jets are the favorite to win it all. He's still growing and making mistakes, but he's ridiculously good.

I've seen luck take some ferocious hits standing tough in the pocket...tough as nails.

Also..he's one of the ugliest QBs I've ever seen. He's a cross between Gomer Pyle and Herman Munster. Sheesh....there's no Giselle in his future.

They're just a dumb franchise.  Just look at the 2015 draft.  Why the f*ck would you take a WR (Dorsett) in the first round when your defense is that awful?  Granted, they used their next 4 picks all on the defensive side of the ball, but they're just terrible at building a roster.  In 2014 they traded away their 1st round pick for Trent Richardson.  Their 2013 draft was useless.  That same year they traded Jerry Hughes to Buffalo straight up for LB Kelvin Sheppard, who was off the roster following the end of the season.  Hughes finished the season with 10 sacks.

If it weren't for the Colts getting extremely fortunate by drafting 1st when Elway, Manning, and Luck were on the board....they wouldn't win d*ck.  Their QB's have masked a sh*tty, sh*tty decision-making franchise. 

Said the guy who loved the Jets taking Williams, the same Jets with a good defense and crap offense (and who have now drafted DL in the first round 4 of the past 6 years, and 7 years defense in a row)

Said the guy who loved the Jets taking Williams, the same Jets with a good defense and crap offense (and who have now drafted DL in the first round 4 of the past 6 years, and 7 years defense in a row)

Oh come on.  Williams was ranked the # 1 player in the draft.  Dorsett was not even close to being the "lock" as the best player when the Colts picked at 29.  Bypassing Williams would have been bypassing an elite prospect for a 2nd tier one.  Bypassing Dorsett for the top defensive player on the board would have been negligible.  With TY Hilton, Andre Johnson, Donte Moncrief and Vincent Brown already on the roster, they absolutely had the ability to make better use of that pick. 

Look at the rest of my post for further evidence why the Colts would be in the same exact place as us if they didn't happen to have top QB's at the # 1 pick three times.

I've seen luck take some ferocious hits standing tough in the pocket...tough as nails.

Also..he's one of the ugliest QBs I've ever seen. He's a cross between Gomer Pyle and Herman Munster. Sheesh....there's no Giselle in his future.

luckcivilwar.0.0.jpg

Helluva war general too.

Oh come on.  Williams was ranked the # 1 player in the draft.  Dorsett was not even close to being the "lock" as the best player when the Colts picked at 29.  Bypassing Williams would have been bypassing an elite prospect for a 2nd tier one.  Bypassing Dorsett for the top defensive player on the board would have been negligible.  With TY Hilton, Andre Johnson, Donte Moncrief and Vincent Brown already on the roster, they absolutely had the ability to make better use of that pick. 

Look at the rest of my post for further evidence why the Colts would be in the same exact place as us if they didn't happen to have top QB's at the # 1 pick three times.

They scored 7 points and had no O against the Pats.  They barely moved the ball. Half their yardage was their one scoring drive.

Cause Kiper and Mayock said so? Stupid, if he was so unequivocally superior to other options somebody would've taken him or moved up to get him

I'm not even knocking the Jets move, you just aren't consistent at all.. Colts drafted the best player on their board at 29, just like Jets.. yet you trash them while raving about the Jets move.  

Cause Kiper and Mayock said so? Stupid, if he was so unequivocally superior to other options somebody would've taken him or moved up to get him

I'm not even knocking the Jets move, you just aren't consistent at all.. Colts drafted the best player on their board at 29, just like Jets.. yet you trash them while raving about the Jets move.  

You realize that some franchises are too desperate to not draft for value and instead reach for need, right? That's kind of what the Jets have done for - I dunno - forever.

The only question mark in the top five was Washington. Scherff was a huge reach at that pick, despite their lack of o-line. Otherwise, the other four teams at the top made high-risk, high-reward picks to meet positions of need. Fowler and Cooper were the best at their respective positions, whereas Winston and Mariota are potential franchise QBs. You don't pass that up.

You realize that some franchises aren't smart enough to draft for value and reach for need, right? That's kind of what the Jets have done for - I dunno - forever.

Honestly i am not taking a stand either way, just point out how Huggy mcDerphole is talking out of both sides of his mouth

I agree, 80's a boob and is contradicting himself.  Why wouldnt you give your soon to be best QB in the league more weapons?  D hasnt been getting them division titles and playoff berths.  It offense and scoring 7 points in the AFCC game doesnt cut it.  That and before the draft the Colts did add some talent to D: Trent Cole, Kendall Langford, Nate Irving, etc.

However, I dont see this situation comparable.  The teams ahead of the Jets were clearly drafting on need, QB, QB, OLB, WR, OL - none of those players were rated higher than Williams on anyone's board (maybe Cooper), not just the "draftnicks"...the difference is significant.  The Jets took a player who fell and was considered by many as the best player in the draft.  The Colts possibly reached as I'm not even sure Dorsett was the best WR on the board, let alone best player available.  

My point was the Colts have been terrible for years in drafting, and especially at making trades, if anyone would have bothered to read past the first line of the post.  Suddenly they draft a WR at 29 and they're smart, because they couldn't score against a cheating Patriots team?  Nope.  They deserve no benefit of the doubt.  No one can even name their first rounder from 2013, and they didn't have one in 2014 thanks to Trent Richardson.

My point was the Colts have been terrible for years in drafting, and especially at making trades, if anyone would have bothered to read past the first line of the post.  Suddenly they draft a WR at 29 and they're smart, because they couldn't score against a cheating Patriots team?  Nope.  They deserve no benefit of the doubt.  No one can even name their first rounder from 2013, and they didn't have one in 2014 thanks to Trent Richardson.

Not to mention they already have Andre TY and Moncreif. One could argue that they're preparing for a future without TY (and obviously Andre), but there are other ways to go about that than spending a first round pick on a guy who will be 4th on the depth chart. Especially when you have a franchise QB.

However, I dont see this situation comparable.  The teams ahead of the Jets were clearly drafting on need, QB, QB, OLB, WR, OL - none of those players were rated higher than Williams on anyone's board (maybe Cooper), not just the "draftnicks"...the difference is significant.  The Jets took a player who fell and was considered by many as the best player in the draft.  The Colts possibly reached as I'm not even sure Dorsett was the best WR on the board, let alone best player available.  

Meh, again, if Williams was unequivocally better then everyone else Jax takes him at 3, or someone trades to our spot to grab him (like Atlanta). There were rumors right before the draft that Williams wasn't rated as high on team boards as on draftniks...

And I'd be willing to guess Colts took Dorsett cause he was their best player on the board, but he was certainly their top best pass catcher

Meh, again, if Williams was unequivocally better then everyone else Jax takes him at 3, or someone trades to our spot to grab him (like Atlanta). There were rumors right before the draft that Williams wasn't rated as high on team boards as on draftniks...

And I'd be willing to guess Colts took Dorsett cause he was their best player on the board, but he was certainly their top best pass catcher

I dont recall that rumor, at all.  He was getting Suh comparisons leading up the draft.

Jax didnt think Williams fit their system.  They openly admitted that was why they made the decision to go with Fowler...which is stupid...but its the Jags.  Just like the stupid Redskins taking a Guard.

Your last comment I'm not following...did you mean, you're were willing to be he wasnt their BAP but he was the BAP WR?  

Dante Fowler was supposedly top 3 on our board, as was Williams.  Had the Redskins taken Williams our pick selection would have gotten a lot easier in some ways.  Once the Redskins took Scherrf we couldn't pass up on a 20-year old DT who had shown flashes of dominance at the college level.

Maybe I'm being hard on the Colts because of their prior draft history.  Maybe a 5-10 WR was a guy they coveted at that spot as the BPA and will have an excellent career.  But overall, they've done a dreadful job of building around Andrew Luck, just as they did Peyton Manning.  They haven't had a strong defense pretty much ever, and have benefitted from playing in a very weak division. 

I dont recall that rumor, at all.  He was getting Suh comparisons leading up the draft.

Jax didnt think Williams fit their system.  They openly admitted that was why they made the decision to go with Fowler...which is stupid...but its the Jags.  Just like the stupid Redskins taking a Guard.

Your last comment I'm not following...did you mean, you're were willing to be he wasnt their BAP but he was the BAP WR?  

There were some blurbs pre draft, didn't find those easily but found this:

Why the Slide?: Leonard Williams, DT, USC 
By Charlie Campbell, @draftcampbell 

Last year, we started a series of articles on why certain prospects went undrafted. In that series, I reach out to sources with NFL teams to find out why their organizations passed on drafting a given player, and/or, what were the reasons for other teams to pass on that prospect. We got a lot of positive reader feedback about the series, so we decided to expand in the genre to investigate why some prospects slid in the draft. 

In the leadup to the 2015 NFL Draft, it was common place to see Williams projected to go off the board with the second-overall pick to the Tennessee Titans. Many media pundits labeled Williams as the best player in the 2015 NFL Draft, but they failed to sample a range of NFL teams to see if they were projecting Williams atop their draft boards. WalterFootball.com spoke with a number of teams and none of them had Williams at the top of their draft board. They did not view him as a No. 1-overall talent like Jadeveon Clowney, Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy. Said sources felt that Williams was definitely below those players and while they thought he was a good player worthy of going in the top 10, they weren't completely blown away by his tape. 

Early in the draft season, we at WalterFootball.com projected the Titans to take Marcus Mariota and didn't change it once. In speaking with Tennessee sources in the middle of the spring, we told them that everyone was projecting them to take Williams. They said that those media pundits making those projections clearly hadn't spoken to anyone in their building. They liked Williams, but didn't have him that high. The front office loved Mariota since before the 2014 season and was the favorite throughout the process. 

Sources with the Jaguars said that Williams ended up being their backup. They entered the week of the 2015 NFL Draft with three finalists of Dante Fowler Jr., Leonard Williams and Amari Cooper. If Jacksonville had traded down, Andrus Peat was a player the organization really liked. In the last days before the 2015 NFL Draft, the Jaguars settled on Fowler. If he was somehow off the board before the third pick, they were going with Williams, but they liked Fowler more. 

The Raiders and Redskins leaned toward helping their quarterbacks with a No. 1 receiver and offensive lineman, respectively. Washington didn't have a serious need for a five-technique 3-4 defensive end, but many around the league were surprised that Oakland passed on Williams. 

The Jets ended Williams fall at the sixth pick. It sounds like they were one of the few teams that felt Williams was the best player in the 2015 NFL Draft. Williams could give New York a lethal foursome on its defensive line with Sheldon Richardson, Muhammed Wilkerson and Quinton Coples. Williams also offers protection if Wilkerson isn't signed to a long-term contract. With the jets, Williams should see plenty of single =0blocks as teams will send double-teams at Richardson or Wilkerson. Depending on how Williams is utilized with those teammates, the Jets could be the perfect landing spot for him. 

That is what a stud QB will do for you.  They are otherwise mismanaged.  I sorta feel bad for Luck as I don't see them getting much better under the current administration.

Because Jacksonville always gets it right, amIrite?

There were some blurbs pre draft, didn't find those easily but found this:

Fair, but did the players these supposed teams had ranked ahead of him, get selected ahead of him?  That changes everything, no? 

You should thank the Colts for being whistle blowers

That's why Peter King ranked the colts 11 in his preseason power rankings even though they have a top 3 qb and just added Andre and Frank Gore. What a 10 yr old cheerleader

Archived