Screwing Mo

lancemehl

Baring some unfortunate incident Mo will get his money. Whether it's with the JETS or not is another question.

I doubt the JETS will do anything this season except stick to a base price they might have already decided on. Now if the season starts and Williams turns out to be the player everyone and their mother expect him to be JETS will likely trade Mo. If Williams fades than Mo gets a lot more leverage because the JETS cannot let him get away on top of drafting a underperforming rookie.

It will be an interesting summer.

I think as Jets fans we need to just enjoy this wealth of riches we have at the DL and not even worry about who is getting paid. Who is staying forever. Just think. This season we have one of the best. If we win it all maybe everyone takes a bigger discount to stay. Who knows. Stop worrying about 2 years down the road. Just enjoy the upcoming season.

Why are we screwing Mo? He is under contract and is not entitled to a single dollar more than what he is getting this year. The Jets are free to negotiate and extension, or not. Mo has that same option. If Mo really wants an extension he can sign off on the Jets terms (or something close to it), if he wants Watt money then the Jets can either give him the money or let him play out his contract. This is a business and Mo Wilk and the Jets are both doing what they are entitled to do. 

No reason to take sides at this point. I would LOVE for Mo to stay here for his career but not if he wants too much money that will hurt our team's cap space in future years. While the Jets signed a ton of players this year, most don't affect the cap in future years. Mo wants a deal that will handicap this team in future years. I don't blame him, but let's not act as if Mo is JJ Watt or that he has expressed a willingness to give the Jets a "hometown discount."

Why are we screwing Mo? He is under contract and is not entitled to a single dollar more than what he is getting this year. The Jets are free to negotiate and extension, or not. Mo has that same option. If Mo really wants an extension he can sign off on the Jets terms (or something close to it), if he wants Watt money then the Jets can either give him the money or let him play out his contract. This is a business and Mo Wilk and the Jets are both doing what they are entitled to do. 

No reason to take sides at this point. I would LOVE for Mo to stay here for his career but not if he wants too much money that will hurt our team's cap space in future years. While the Jets signed a ton of players this year, most don't affect the cap in future years. Mo wants a deal that will handicap this team in future years. I don't blame him, but let's not act as if Mo is JJ Watt or that he has expressed a willingness to give the Jets a "hometown discount."

I do feel a little bad for him, though. Not because his life is so awful making $7M this season alone, but because a lot of lesser players are getting rewarded far more than Mo.

If he was worth what some (including Richardson) believe, then surely one team in the league would have forked over a 1st and more for him instead of a crap-shoot. Particularly with so many teams having so much cap room available.

Anything's possible, but I don't see how the Jets can or will or should extend Mo after drafting Williams. Williams is a starter-level DL. So is Richardson (who's under contract for 2 more years plus he can get tagged after that). Even Coples would be just fine if he were starting in Mo's spot (even if he wasn't as good). Point being there's a roster spot for Mo at $7M but not at $12-14M per year with some $40M or so guaranteed. Even though Mo is a clear every-down starter, since they all can't be on the field at the same time it's like forking over that kind of $ on a backup.

They'll keep him for this year so Williams - who I'm sure will be as advertised - doesn't have to play every down from game 1. Yes, it will keep all of them fresh, which is a bonus. But it's not that outrageous of a backup plan for 1 season just in case Williams isn't what he almost assuredly will be (plus the off-chance of significant injury to any non-Wilks).

I do feel a little bad for him, though. Not because his life is so awful making $7M this season alone, but because a lot of lesser players are getting rewarded far more than Mo.If he was worth what some (including Richardson) believe, then surely one team in the league would have forked over a 1st and more for him instead of a crap-shoot. Particularly with so many teams having so much cap room available.Anything's possible, but I don't see how the Jets can or will or should extend Mo after drafting Williams. Williams is a starter-level DL. So is Richardson (who's under contract for 2 more years plus he can get tagged after that). Even Coples would be just fine if he were starting in Mo's spot (even if he wasn't as good). Point being there's a roster spot for Mo at $7M but not at $12-14M per year with some $40M or so guaranteed. Even though Mo is a clear every-down starter, since they all can't be on the field at the same time it's like forking over that kind of $ on a backup.They'll keep him for this year so Williams - who I'm sure will be as advertised - doesn't have to play every down from game 1. Yes, it will keep all of them fresh, which is a bonus. But it's not that outrageous of a backup plan for 1 season just in case Williams isn't what he almost assuredly will be (plus the off-chance of significant injury to any non-Wilks).

Nice drop

Yes, Mo is getting screwed and it's a shame and all, but the Jets' FO is doing exactly the right thing with him.

IMHO, there are two things at play here: First, we have to see how Williams does. I know expectations are high and that everyone says he's the real deal, but we also said that about Vernon Gholston right after we drafted him (and don't lie and say you didn't).

Second, we have to be careful not to overpay Mo. Yes, he is a very good DE, but can if we seriously ask ourselves, is he up there yet with JJ Watts or Mario Williams? I think not. He's about a short notch below them, again, IMHO.

Keep him for this season, see how Williams does, and then make a move.

He's getting 7 million dollars this year and either the contract he wants next year, or a tag to the tune of 15 mil or so.  Either way he's likely to pocket somewhere near 20 mil the next 700 days provided he doesn't get hurt.

I'll save my sympathy for the single mother with 2 kids getting laid off from her 20 grand a year factory job.

I wouldn't say he's being screwed, but he's worth much more than what he's getting paid.

Also, I keep seeing posts that Wilkerson wants a contract like Watt's. And that Wilk hasn't, and wouldn't, accept a lesser contract, possibly along the lines of what Cameron Jordan got from New Orleans. Have there been any reports that the Jets, either under Idzik or Maccagnan, have actually made an offer of any kind? I haven't seen any reports about an offer being made.

Now the Jets have 2 contracts to compare Wilkerson's deal to..... Jordan and Liuget. The market has been set for 3-4 DE

http://overthecap.com/a-closer-look-at-corey-liugets-51-25-million-contract/

The details of Corey Liuget’s recent contract extension were released today in many news outlets and we now have a better idea about his contract. The total new money vaue of the contract is $51.25 million, which is actually higher than the initial reports. The contract has $13.977 in fully guaranteed salary and a total of $30.477 million in injury guarantees. Based on contract structure he has a functional guarantee of $22.477 million, which will all be paid out by 2016. In terms of new money guarantees Liuget is receiving an extra $8.5 million in full guarantees and $17 million in functional ones. His $5.477 million salary had already been guaranteed prior to the extension. 

Liuget is the second of the 34 defensive ends to earn a new contract this offseason following Cam Jordan’s big extension with the Saints. These are the contracts shaping the market for the position. Liuget was considered less accomplished than Jordan and certainly nowhere near the pass rusher Jordan is. That seems to have been properly reflected in the contract. Here is the year by year breakdown for Jordan, Liuget, and Calais Campbell who remains at the top of the market for players not named Watt.

See Link for breakdown. Could not "Cut and Paste"

Liuget will trail Jordan by 13% in earnings over the first extension year of the contract. He can get that down to about 6.5% if he makes the 2017 season, which is not guaranteed by any stretch. At that point in time it will cost just $4.5 million against the cap for the Chargers to release Liuget from his contract, a savings of $5 million. By comparison Jordan will cost the team $9.6 million against the cap if cut, a meager $700,000 in savings.

The main difference is due to the signing bonus included in the contract. The Chargers wisely avoided a massive bonus by limiting the bonus to $7.5 million and simply paying the rest of his salary in cash that will count immediately on the cap. Jordan received a $16 million bonus to sign, one of the largest non-QB signing bonuses in the NFL.

So realistically Liuget is being viewed as worth 13% less than Jordan with the ability to get closer if he performs well enough to not be released. As more contracts come in at this position Bryce can give us the official ECV breakdown, but this contract is certainly not going to match the current big ones, even if the annual value may look somewhat similar.

Where this leaves the other player’s looking for a new deal I can’t say for certain, but $17 million in first year new money looks to be the new floor as Liuget does match Campbell in this metric. But to reach the Cambell numbers is going to require teams to really front load the contract and use massive bonuses over the first two years to achieve the functional protections realized by Campbell and Jordan. Exceeding those numbers entirely is going to take some hard work.

Wilkerson said this past week at minicamp that his toe is still hurting him. Sounds like something that might linger for awhile.

I wonder if he's using the old "Revis Hurting Hamstring" excuse, until he gets his new contract?

I'm really torn on this one... I like Mo more as a person than Sheldon.... but like Sheldon more as a player. Really hope that can keep both!

I wonder if he's using the old "Revis Hurting Hamstring" excuse, until he gets his new contract?

I'm really torn on this one... I like Mo more as a person than Sheldon.... but like Sheldon more as a player. Really hope that can keep both!

I can't imagine still complaining about his toe gives him any leverage. In fact it gives Mac more leverage than he already has. You want me to dish out 30 million guaranteed to a guy who might have a chronic toe problem? Lol

Interesting to see if mo holds out of training camp.

Archived