Eagles release G Evan Mathis

AFJF

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In that case, then why didn't the Jets get Mike Iupati this year with all the cap room they had?

easy sometime a player who been his whole life on the West coast , doesn't want to move ,and uproot to the east coast. Also Iupati( was high draft choice and was paid already) where Evan Mathis wasn't and only last couple years has developed into very good guard. E Mathis wants to maximize his earnings now because he doesn't have as much time.( wrong side of thirty). he will go where he going to get paid the most.

He was set to make 5 mil. he wants a raise so Chip cut him. Didn't even trade him. Just cut him. He'll want a 2 year 15 mil deal - minimum.   

Doesn't mean he'll get it.  I don't think he's even going to get what he was scheduled to make this season.  He's been on the trade block for two years and apparently nobody was even willing to offer a late-round pick to get him at that price/age.

not necessarily.  Assuming Mo would make $11-12 mil per year on a fair deal, the tag is $3-4 million more, less if they were to front-load a deal.  Yeah, that's significant.  But is it a game changer?  Doubt it because of the flexibility it could provide the organization.

It is a killer because with an extension you can have the SB money spread out over the life of the deal. The Tag is a straight payout. Revis at $17 mil, Mo @ $15 mil, Ferguson @ $14 mil, Mangold @$11 milMarshall @ $9 mil, Harris @ $7.5 mil.....That's $73 mil on 6 players. They could re-work Brick's contract, but I'm not sure they want to extend the tears or increas the guaranteed money at this stage of his career. 

Easier to trade Wilk or give him a new contract and backload it IMHO.

He was set to make 5 mil. he wants a raise so Chip cut him. Didn't even trade him. Just cut him. He'll want a 2 year 15 mil deal - minimum.   

He wanted a raise. Chip tried to trade him, and no one wanted him, so they fired him.

He's not going to get paid what you all think.

I'll bet he doesn't even get what he was making already.

I think he could be had for 2 years 9 mil. 6 million guaranteed.

It'll take awhile for him to come to grips with that.

Doesn't mean he'll get it.  I don't think he's even going to get what he was scheduled to make this season.  He's been on the trade block for two years and apparently nobody was even willing to offer a late-round pick to get him at that price/age.

It's interesting because he has apparently been trying to get out of there for a long time.  Been avoiding voluntary workouts, etc.  He is mid-way through a five year deal, but they paid him $5M last year.  The Rams have supposedly been interested, but then why couldn't he be rolled into the Bradford-Foles deal?  Obviously, Chip didn't value him too highly, you'd think they would have taken a late pick or lowered the value/changed the terms on the conditional they added to Foles.  According to the rotoworld blurbs, Howie Rosen had offered him an extra $1M per, but Chip yanked the deal.  Rosenhaus said he thought they had a deal before the draft, but it fell through.  Only other info was that it wasn't the Dolphins 

He wanted a raise. Chip tried to trade him, and no one wanted him, so they fired him.

He's not going to get paid what you all think.

I'll bet he doesn't even get what he was making already.

I think he could be had for 2 years 9 mil. 6 million guaranteed.

It'll take awhile for him to come to grips with that.

Still a ton of scratch for an old guard.

Ya I think your right, i can see him in Miami. Mike T just signed CJ Mosley, he is going all in this year.

As much as I hate to see Mathis go to another team, I'd like nothing more than to see Tanny sink the Phins into cap hell his first year on the job. The team is already hamstrung by the Suh and Tannehill contracts, so this would be icing on the cake.

Is Mathis good anymore???  I don't want to sign a 33/34 year old guard just because PFF

rates him highly

Yes.  He's very, very good:

Last year, Mathis missed weeks 2-9 with an injury.  Without him in the lineup, Shady average 3.8 yards per carry.  With Mathis in the lineup, he averaged 4.6.  In 2013, with Mathis healthy the full season, McCoy averaged 5.1 yards per carry.

Hence why he wanted more than $5M per.  14 guards in the league make more than him per year, and he's better than at least 8 of those guys.  And he just watched as Mike Iupati helped inflate the cost of guards this offseason by signing a $40M deal over 5 years with a little under $16M guaranteed.  Hell, even James Carpenter's current deal rivals what Mathis made in Philly.

At 34, he wants one final big payday.

As much as I hate to see Mathis go to another team, I'd like nothing more than to see Tanny sink the Phins into cap hell his first year on the job. The team is already hamstrung by the Suh and Tannehill contracts, so this would be icing on the cake.

Im with you. I am just tired of all the Dolphins will win the Division this year and are now superbowl contenders Blah blah BS.

He plays left guard and we spent decent money for Carpenter, already.  Probably not happening.

Though he mostly played LG in Seattle, Carpenter is listed as a Right Guard by some sources and makes RG-esque money.  He's versatile, having played RG and even RT in the past.  You could easily just flip them.  Especially since, league-wide, LG gets valued higher than RG (4 LG's in the league are paid more than $7M per.  The highest-paid RG, Marshal Yanda, makes $6.4M per).

Last year, Mathis missed weeks 2-9 with an injury.  Without him in the lineup, Shady average 3.8 yards per carry.  With Mathis in the lineup, he averaged 4.6.  In 2013, with Mathis healthy the full season, McCoy averaged 5.1 yards per carry.

Sign this guy immediately.

Looks at these stats, looks at the contract Rex gave McCoy, looks at these stats... sits back, grins.

Looks at these stats, looks at the contract Rex gave McCoy, looks at these stats... sits back, grins.

Don't forget *Looks at Bills mess of an offensive line*  *Waits for Incognito implosion*

Shady will be on my "do not draft list" this fantasy football season.

Sadly, I just checked the salary cap list.  5 teams have over $20M in cap space (Jaguars, Titans, Browns, Raiders, Bucs), and 4 other teams, including contenders like the Chargers and Bengals, have enough wiggle room to make this happen as well. 

We check in at 29th on that list.  He ain't coming here.

But at least we're not the Chiefs.  They have $881,000 in cap space. 

I thought he'd be a good pick just based on "ground and pound" but I'm not a fantasy guy.

Your logic is right, but I factor in a couple other things when burning 1st and 2nd round picks on RBs.

does he have a beast OL?

does he have a QB/WR threat that can get the safety out of the box?

will he be on the field for 3rd downs? will he add receiving stats?

who is going to steal carries?

how old is he? what is his injury history? what is his carry volume history?

how often will he/his offense score?

I don't expect McCoy to hold up under the workload, I'm weary of his OL, he's going to be facing a stacked box constantly... I'd rather use my 1st or 2nd round pick (because I can assure you that's where he'll be predicted for selection by the gurus) on a player in a high powered offense with better parts around him. I could see McCoy slogging his way to 1,000 yards, and maybe 6 TDs. I can get that from a much less expensive RB later in the draft, in the meantime, maybe I use this pick on Demarius Thomas or Calvin Johnson and end up with 10+ TDs at my WR position.

It's interesting because he has apparently been trying to get out of there for a long time.  Been avoiding voluntary workouts, etc.  He is mid-way through a five year deal, but they paid him $5M last year.  The Rams have supposedly been interested, but then why couldn't he be rolled into the Bradford-Foles deal?  Obviously, Chip didn't value him too highly, you'd think they would have taken a late pick or lowered the value/changed the terms on the conditional they added to Foles.  According to the rotoworld blurbs, Howie Rosen had offered him an extra $1M per, but Chip yanked the deal.  Rosenhaus said he thought they had a deal before the draft, but it fell through.  Only other info was that it wasn't the Dolphins 

Very odd situation...all-pro due to make good money but nothing outrageous and nobody makes an offer? 

Chip Kelly is crazy BTW.  Goes out and gets injury-prone Sam Bradford, gets rid of both OG's and signs a RB who had 400 touches last season to a huge contract 

Sadly, I just checked the salary cap list.  5 teams have over $20M in cap space (Jaguars, Titans, Browns, Raiders, Bucs), and 4 other teams, including contenders like the Chargers and Bengals, have enough wiggle room to make this happen as well. 

We check in at 29th on that list.  He ain't coming here.

But at least we're not the Chiefs.  They have $881,000 in cap space.

Hopefully the Raiders look at adding Evan Mathis. He would really upgrade their offense line , and let them play very fast on offense. ( going to play a lot of no huddle) Lt Donald Penn Lg Evan Mathis C Rodney Hudson Rg gabe Jackson Rt m Watson/ Austin Howard .

also give Jon Feliciano and the other young guards time , where you don't have to play them till they are ready,

Your logic is right, but I factor in a couple other things when burning 1st and 2nd round picks on RBs.

does he have a beast OL?

does he have a QB/WR threat that can get the safety out of the box?

will he be on the field for 3rd downs? will he add receiving stats?

who is going to steal carries?

how old is he? what is his injury history? what is his carry volume history?

how often will he/his offense score?

I don't expect McCoy to hold up under the workload, I'm weary of his OL, he's going to be facing a stacked box constantly... I'd rather use my 1st or 2nd round pick (because I can assure you that's where he'll be predicted for selection by the gurus) on a player in a high powered offense with better parts around him. I could see McCoy slogging his way to 1,000 yards, and maybe 6 TDs. I can get that from a much less expensive RB later in the draft, in the meantime, maybe I use this pick on Demarius Thomas or Calvin Johnson and end up with 10+ TDs at my WR position.

Yeah, that is all fantasy mumbo jumbo.  I read what you are saying as basically, he will go high, so you're not interested. I think the receiving thing will be interesting with Roman.  Gore never had too many, but I don't think he was anywhere near the level of receiver as McCoy.

Very odd situation...all-pro due to make good money but nothing outrageous and nobody makes an offer? 

Chip Kelly is crazy BTW.  Goes out and gets injury-prone Sam Bradford, gets rid of both OG's and signs a RB who had 400 touches last season to a huge contract 

Chip is all-in on his master plan. It's extremely high-risk, high-reward. If it blows up in his face, he 'll never get another gig in the NFL. Too many bizarre/bone-headed moves that are hard to justify without the wins to back them up.

Chip is all-in on his master plan. It's extremely high-risk, high-reward. If it blows up in his face, he 'll never get another gig in the NFL. Too many bizarre/bone-headed moves that are hard to justify without the wins to back them up.

Exactly...unconventional doesn't even begin to describe what he's doing.  He's taking multiple huge risks at one time and acting like he's confused as to why people view the moves as high risk.  I've been saying since last offseason that he'll go down as a genius, or an idiot...not much middle ground.

Exactly...unconventional doesn't even begin to describe what he's doing.  He's taking multiple huge risks at one time and acting like he's confused as to why people view the moves as high risk.  I've been saying since last offseason that he'll go down as a genius, or an idiot...not much middle ground.

What was Lou Holtz?

I think the only move I thought was a decent decision was the Shady trade.  RB's just don't last in this league.  I remember when the Broncos traded Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey and everyone questioned it at the time.  It worked out very nicely for the Broncos.  They got a LOT more effective years out of Champ than they did Portis.  If Kiko Alonso becomes a staple in the middle of that defense for the next 5+ years, this deal ends up being a heist for the Eagles.

I really hope he's not blocking for McCoy again in 2015.

I don't think they have a ton of space left either, but it would be a perfect fit. Buffalo's real weakness last year were their guards. The replacements thus far have been Incognito and a 3rd round rookie.

They could clear some room for a sure starter I'm sure. Fred Jackson is 34 and costs nearly $3M just by himself and, while he's not worthless, they really don't need him. If they can't make Mathis fit...they'll see if Percy Harvin was worth it lol.

Hopefully the Raiders look at adding Evan Mathis. He would really upgrade their offense line , and let them play very fast on offense. ( going to play a lot of no huddle) Lt Donald Penn Lg Evan Mathis C Rodney Hudson Rg gabe Jackson Rt m Watson/ Austin Howard .

also give Jon Feliciano and the other young guards time , where you don't have to play them till they are ready,

Isn't there a Raider forum for these sorts of questions? 

Isn't there a Raider forum for these sorts of questions? 

You would think a certain species would like to breed within their own species... Raiderholic being here is like cross-breeding a jackass with a Gorilla...

Nothing good can come of it.

Go back with your own breed and leave us Gorilla's alone. :sheepf:

And then he'll either get a TV job or go back to coaching a high-profile division one college program.  But I agree that his decision making seems bizarre to the outside observer.

Archived