Offseason Minicamp Review

Maxman

In short-Geno Smith sucks-

http://nypost.com/2015/06/12/new-coach-same-old-crippling-issue-haunts-geno-fated-jets/ Brian Costello Yesterday's Post-

At the end of most Jets practices this spring, new coach Todd Bowles conducted a “competition” period, when the offense and defense squared off with the losers running sprints.

The way things went this spring, the Jets’ offense might be the best 4×100 team in the NFL.

It was the same old story at this camp, with the all-world defense dominating the also-ran offense … again. For all of the money the Jets spent this offseason on upgrades and changes made from the front office to the coaching staff, the offense looks ordinary … again.

The Jets finished minicamp Thursday, beginning a six-week break before training camp. When they return to Florham Park, the biggest question mark around this team is the offense, something that feels like it could have been written every year since Namath and Maynard left town.

You have to back nearly 20 years to find a Jets’ offense that finished in the top 10. It was in 1998 when Vinny Testaverde, Curtis Martin and Bill Parcells took the team to an AFC East title. Since then, it has been a lot of down years with a few mediocre ones mixed in. The closest they came to returning to the top 10 was 2010, when they finished 11th.

For some reason, defense rules at One Jets Drive. Owner Woody Johnson continued his trend of hiring head coaches with defensive backgrounds when he tabbed Bowles, who was the Cardinals’ defensive coordinator last year. Johnson has hired five head coaches — Al Groh, Herm Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and Bowles — all from the defensive side of the ball.

Bowles may turn out to be a fine coach, but it was surprising the Jets wanted to go down the defensive road again in their coaching hire. One of the biggest problems with Ryan’s coaching was that his love for his defense often made the offensive players feel like second-class citizens. Ryan’s only involvement with the offense usually came when he was screaming, “Run the ball” at whichever offensive coordinator was on the other end of the headset that year.

This spring, Bowles has made an effort to pay attention to the offense as well as the defense. He acknowledged Thursday it requires extra effort and film work by him, but he seems committed to it … for now. Ryan always talked a big game about being involved with the offense during the offseason. When the season comes, coaches usually revert to who they truly are, and Bowles is a defensive guy.

The bigger issue than Bowles, though, is this offense does not look much better than last year’s, which finished 28th in the NFL in scoring. The offensive line is shaky, there is no speed back in the backfield, and the ever-present question at quarterback remains.

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall will make an impact in the red zone and will bail out Geno Smith at times with his playmaking ability, but will he get enough passes to keep him happy? It feels like a matter of time before Marshall is griping about the offense being run-heavy, which clearly Bowles wants it to be.

Smith appears to be on his way to a third straight season of being the starting quarterback on opening day. His teammates and coaches are saying the right things about Smith now, but how can anyone expect consistency from him until he actually shows it? This spring he has looked like the same guy that has an 11-18 record as a starter. One pass looks good. The next looks terrible. One day he throws three interceptions. The next he has none.

“It’s been up and down,” Bowles said Thursday of Smith. “He makes some good throws. He makes some bad throws. There’s got to be more consistency for the quarterbacks overall.”

Smith is the biggest piece of the Jets’ offensive puzzle, but new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey also is a key. Can Gailey draw out the best of Smith? He takes a job that has been Mission Impossible for coaches such as Paul Hackett, Brian Schottenheimer, Tony Sparano and Marty Mornhinweg. Fixing the Jets’ offense is a tougher job than guarding LeBron James.

As the offensive players sprinted from sideline to sideline this week after another practice loss, you had to wonder if the 2015 season will follow the same script of recent years, when the Jets’ defense was top-notch and the offense dragged the team down.

One thing is certain — the offense will be in great shape.

Complete crap of an article. Bowles has never once said he wants to have a run heavy offense. He wants balance and likes Gailey because his systems are effective at both running and passing, but he has repeatedly said he wants to score my points than his opponents, and even stated he does not want a game manager but a QB that can make plays. Useless troll bait article. Bowles is HEAVILY influenced by Arians as much or more than Parcells. He is not a typical defensive minded coach.

Complete crap of an article. Bowles has never once said he wants to have a run heavy offense. He wants balance and likes Gailey because his systems are effective at both running and passing, but he has repeatedly said he wants to score my points than his opponents, and even stated he does not want a game manager but a QB that can make plays. Useless troll bait article. Bowles is HEAVILY influenced by Arians as much or more than Parcells. He is not a typical defensive minded coach.

Costello is better than that.  That article is complete trash click bait.  Really disappointed in Brian for writing that trash.  

Nice comment... even if you are an idiot.

(I know: "GFY")

Who the phuck are you, son ? And why are you trolling me ?

I have not started a conversation with you. I must have got you really bad in the recent past for you to feel the need to launch stupid juvenile personal attack me at every juncture. This is not the first time.

I know there are a lot of people who take disagreement in football opinions personally.  In that case just put me on IGNORE. I am ignoring you. I have to respect your football aptitude to feel the need to start a conversation.  I have never felt the need to start a conversation with you. BUT I also never have felt a need to start insulting you unprovoked and unless you are asking for it, like over here in this instance where you started with a personal attack.

Again put me on IGNORE. 

Absolutely GREAT write up. Thanks win4.

Thanks,

Thanks for write-up. Great, easy read.

Got anything in OLB & ILB situations? Always a concern of mine.

-ive always liked harris, but i don't like Harris' speed. That signing surprised me.

-other than great back-story, did Mauldin make any noise?

-what about the old men babin and pace?

-what are these LB units gonna look like on Sundays?

Thanks.  

I haven't seen much on Mauldin.  This article seems to mention he was impressive, and a few tweets on him include one from Cimini saying he was a day 1 standout, one from Connor Hughes saying he blew up a play in the backfield, as well as one from Eric Allen saying he made a nice play on Petty.  However, I haven't seen any deep in depth breakdown of how he performed during minicamp.  

I thought we overpaid for Harris, but I'm guessing with a team that might be aggressive, they wanted someone that was going to be good against the run.  Haven't heard much on Pace or Babin, but the aforementioned Mauldin article does say Pace didn't look great.  

Personally, I think one of Pace/Babin is not on the opening day roster.  Mauldin could make Pace expendable.  

how did Owusu Chris doo? does any one know I liked the way this kid showed he has good hands, him and Williams Marcus I hope the two of them make the team

On Owusu, some tweets mention him, especially one from a few guys that mention a 50 yard TD, although most of the praise on that seems to go for Geno.  Cimini's tweet, and Kimberly A. Martin's tweet on the TD, seems to indicate he is doing pretty good.  Connor Hughes tweeted that Owusu was running with the first team for some team, with Decker/Marshall, but I read in a different article that Bowles like to mix first and second team guys instead of like Rex, having set first and second teams.  So I wouldn't read much into how he's doing with the first team.  However, he does have potential, and speed.  If it wasn't for his bad history of concussions, I would think he would've made a really nice No. 5 WR because he can play special teams.  But that concussion history is bothersome, especially when twice he was pretty much knocked out cold during a game.  However, he can be the replacement speed option as a backup.   

I feel bad for Sud. Pryor, although I like that he's ready to play, needs to tone it down. It's minicamp for crying out loud. 

Yeah, it's a bad break for him, although I think it speaks more towards the problems Pryor has because I'm pretty positive he had the exact same issue last year, and his hard hitting ways led to a concussion in the preseason or training camp.  

Lets stop ruining this thread- get back on topic - nice recap of the minicamp

Thanks, and yeah, no point in going back and forth.  

Great Job Max really appreciate it!  Especially the little tidbits about other teams camps around the league.  Very interesting insight.  

Thanks, yeah, I thought it'd be something different than the litany of reviews out there, sort of have news that may be of significance to us from other teams.  

Something tells me this isn't going to end well.

Anyway, nice write up on minicamp. Good job.

Thanks.  

Who the phuck are you, son ? And why are you trolling me ?

I have not started a conversation with you. I must have got you really bad in the recent past for you to feel the need to launch stupid juvenile personal attack me at every juncture. This is not the first time.

I know there are a lot of people who take disagreement in football opinions personally.  In that case just put me on IGNORE. I am ignoring you. I have to respect your football aptitude to feel the need to start a conversation.  I have never felt the need to start a conversation with you. BUT I also never have felt a need to start insulting you unprovoked and unless you are asking for it, like over here in this instance where you started with a personal attack.

Again put me on IGNORE.

LOL. Try not to be so predictable.

it seems this year we have a bunch of good players and not all are going to make the team unlike last year we had no talent at WR(besides Decker and kerley) or CB.

Agreed. And by the way, excellent write up. If JFID had even the tiniest sense of humor and ability to laugh at himself/herself that all would have been a brief distraction. Anyway, what the Jets have this year is the potential for synergies where last year there were none. This is true at WR, in the Secondary, on the DL. Whether it will be the case for the RB group, or the  OL, is yet to be seen. QB is the eternal quandary. The Jets do indeed have the pieces in some key areas to make everyone better.

You have to back nearly 20 years to find a Jets’ offense that finished in the top 10. It was in 1998 when Vinny Testaverde, Curtis Martin and Bill Parcells took the team to an AFC East title. Since then, it has been a lot of down years with a few mediocre ones mixed in. The closest they came to returning to the top 10 was 2010, when they finished 11th.

The 2008 team with a hurt Favre was just 11 points behind the 1998 team plus Thomas Jones had 13 tds 1312 yds on 290 carries and avg 4.5 ypc compared to the compiler's 8 tds 1287 yds on 369 carries and 3.5 ypc in 1998.. :animal0029:

Agreed. And by the way, excellent write up. If JFID had even the tiniest sense of humor and ability to laugh at himself/herself that all would have been a brief distraction. Anyway, what the Jets have this year is the potential for synergies where last year there were none. This is true at WR, in the Secondary, on the DL. Whether it will be the case for the RB group, or the  OL, is yet to be seen. QB is the eternal quandary. The Jets do indeed have the pieces in some key areas to make everyone better.

Thanks, and yes, this is one of those teams that is really just a couple of things working in their favor from being really dangerous.  I think every team has some questions marks, and if QB wasn't a question mark, we'd really have a shot at being considered real contenders, which is a change from the last few years.  I think for their function, the RB group actually fits in pretty decent, I think they want guys that can consistently gain yards and not push them back on first downs with negative plays.  

The LB crew and the OLine is going to be interesting, I don't expect either of them to be horrible, but nor do I expect them to be great.  It's just what degree of average they happened to fall under that matters, and if they are reasonably good, this team could be contenders even with Fitzpatrick or an average Geno at the helm.  Ofcourse, elevated QB play eases a lot of these worries.  Hopefully the system can take care of it. 

Great write-up! Hope to see these for training camp. Sign this beast!

Thanks.  And I can't wait for that show to restart, lol.  

Archived