Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

JetBlue

Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

Jun 15 2015 12:00 AM | Views: 801 | Dan Salem in New York Jets

937dede3b2c7970d80d155b2416cb6fa.jpeg
The New York Jets had a QB competition entering minicamp, but Geno Smith has officially pulled away. Dan Salem @thedansalem talks Jets' football. (Photo Credit: metro.us)
The New York Jets had a quarterback competition entering minicamp, but Geno Smith has officially pulled away. After some ups and downs, interceptions and touchdowns, Smith leaves Jets camp with confidence, poise, and the starting quarterback job in New York.

The feeling with Gang Green early on was that Ryan Fitzpatrick would give Smith a run for his money, pushing the third year player into the backup role with his experience and stronger command of Chan Gailey's new offense. Not so. It's clear after Jets' minicamp that both Smith and Fitzpatrick honestly want what's best for the team, and that means teamwork comes first.

An NFL quarterback competition usually means two players butting heads for one starting job. But in New York Geno Smith entered camp in 2015 as the starter, carried himself as if there was no competition, and left camp riding higher than before. As Jets' Quarterbacks Coach Kevin Patullo put it in an interview for NewYorkJets.com:

"Geno’s working hard. He's doing all the things we're asking of him. He's working hard in the classroom and on the field, he's practicing well, he's taken leadership."

Patullo went on in his interview to praise Geno's quick feet and command of the huddle, stating how he's "feeding off of Fitz," referring to Jets' backup quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. This is great news for New York Jets' fans. The starter is taking control and working with his veteran backup. There is harmony in the locker room, and that equals wins on the field.

Last season Geno Smith and Michael Vick always felt like adversaries, at least from the outside looking in. The media wanted Vick to start for the Jets. The team waffled with its belief in Geno. The entire mess equaled two men wanting one job and not finding much middle ground. So long controversy. Michael Vick is gone and Ryan Fitzpatrick is a very different player. This is not to say that Fitzpatrick doesn't want to start in the NFL, but it appears the dynamic with Geno is quite different and starting on a positive note.

Besides his work ethic and leadership, Geno Smith has also been excelling in the shotgun formation, a major part of New York's new offense. If there was a quarterback competition before, it appears all but dried up. Head coach Todd Bowles even found some positives to discuss on offense by the time Jets' minicamp ended.

Bowles was focused on offensive execution throughout minicamp and found it got "a lot better" from day one until camp wrapped up. Much of this improvement has to fall on the shoulders of the quarterback. As Geno Smith improved, so did the overall execution on offense.

There's still many more practice days before the season kicks off, but I'm infinitely more confident in the 2015 New York Jets, knowing that Geno Smith is owning the starting job. No more quarterback competition means a greatly improved Geno. It means that for all the skills Fitzpatrick brings to the table, Smith is a step ahead. Time to rock and roll.

http://network.yardbarker.com/author/article_external/18971287?widget=true

Has been said ad nauseum.  The Job is Geno's to lose and has much as folks what him to lose it, I don't think he plans on doing so.  Time will tell.....  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Umm, this "article" seems to be based on zero facts.  Who is Dan Salem?

The quotes are "Geno's working hard" and then Bowles said that execution got "a lot better".  Wow, what other conclusion could you reach besides "Geno has pulled away!"

Note that he might be right - for all I know Geno impressed the coaches.  But this article doesn't really add any new information to the discussion..

Umm, this "article" seems to be based on zero facts.  Who is Dan Salem?

The quotes are "Geno's working hard" and then Bowles said that execution got "a lot better".  Wow, what other conclusion could you reach besides "Geno has pulled away!"

Note that he might be right - for all I know Geno impressed the coaches.  But this article doesn't really add any new information to the discussion..

I actually agree with you.  I don't see how has he "pulled away" but I think the gist of his point is Geno played better as the mini camp progressed and begin to show real leadership and understanding of the offense.   He also indicated that he and Fitz apparently have a better working relationship than with Vick and it is showing up in his play on the field.  Of course, none this really means anything until they put on the pads but it is encouraging. 

Who the F$%K is Dan Salam??

Three practices in which one he tossed three red zone picks does not show crap.  Pulling away my ass.      

Geno has pulled away from nothing.

I knew this was coming lol.  The amount of hate is really amusing. 

There is almost no doubt that Geno is going into Week 1 as the starter unless he's injured or clearly outplayed by Fitzpatrick during training camp and the preseason.  In my opinion, there's no real competition going on here.  It's his job to lose, and he'll have to lose it handily in order for the job to be taken away from him.

Geno is a fairly good practice QB.  He very well could be good in the classroom as well.  Things start to break down once the red jersey comes off and he faces a real, live NFL defense playing at full speed.  Let's see what happens.

There is almost no doubt that Geno is going into Week 1 as the starter unless he's injured or clearly outplayed by Fitzpatrick during training camp and the preseason.  In my opinion, there's no real competition going on here.  It's his job to lose, and he'll have to lose it handily in order for the job to be taken away from him.

Geno is a fairly good practice QB.  He very well could be good in the classroom as well.  Things start to break down once the red jersey comes off and he faces a real, live NFL defense playing at full speed.  Let's see what happens.

And he did get better at that, the last 6 games of last season; lets see if he can continue to improve.  

and the blind love for a player that has been terrible is incredible. 

No blind love; just blind hate.  If you are objective your realize it is in the teams best interest that it's third year quarterback improves and develops into a decent starter.  He improved last year, has 2 full years under his belt and now as alot more weapons to work with.  Any reasonable Jet fan would want the guy to succeed.  

Good to hear, we might have two real QBs on the roster this year, when was the last time that happened? I hope both QBs improve and play well, we need it. 

Thanks for an intelligent response.   There are so few in this thread.... 

While I don't see how a mini-camp could suddenly end the competition (if there is any competition at all), I'm glad to see that Geno is getting some positive press. It is my personal belief that the best scenario for the Jets is for Geno to turn it around and play at a decent level this year. 

No blind love; just blind hate.  If you are objective your realize it is in the teams best interest that it's third year quarterback improves and develops into a decent starter.  He improved last year, has 2 full years under his belt and now as alot more weapons to work with.  Any reasonable Jet fan would want the guy to succeed.  

Ah, no.   The best thing that could happen is Fitz plays as good as he did last year before he broke his leg, because that much better then Geno has.  At the same time showing Petty how to be a pro.

What you just refuse to understand is most Jet fans have seen enough of Geno.  No matter how many articles you write.

While I don't see how a mini-camp could suddenly end the competition (if there is any competition at all), I'm glad to see that Geno is getting some positive press. It is my personal belief that the best scenario for the Jets is for Geno to turn it around and play at a decent level this year. 

I would agree on all points... He may have helped solidify his position so far, but there is still a long way to go before he is named the starter, if in fact he is.   As you mentioned it is in the BEST interests of the Jets for Geno to turn it around.  I am rooting for him to do so. 

Ah, no.   The best thing that could happen is Fitz plays as good as he did last year before he broke his leg, because that much better then Geno has.  At the same time showing Petty how to be a pro.

What you just refuse to understand is most Jet fans have seen enough of Geno.  No matter how many articles you write.

No I get it.  I just don't think it matters what "most Jet fans" think in this case.   It is what Bowles and Gailey think.  And you may need to find another team to root for because the odds are he will be the starter.  Truthfully I think most Jet fans may not have faith in Geno but are hoping for the best.    Again, you don't believe Geno can or won't get better; I get it; I disagree and think his potential is much higher than Fitz and he may very well reach that potential under Gailey. 

Chan bailey is not exactly a QB guru. He's good, but he's not God. Geno,needs Devine intervention. He sucks. And just because I do like him doesn't make me a jet hater, it makes me a realistic Jets fan. We are all entitled to our opinion and when this plays out some will be correct and the others will have Geno Smith jerseys they have to rip the name off of. He has shown flashes of mediocrity at best. Year 3 is the big leap year they say, well he's not gonna leap,anywhere but to the bench. His inconsistency and folding under pressure will do him in. That's my 2 cents. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Chan bailey is not exactly a QB guru. He's good, but he's not God. Geno,needs Devine intervention. He sucks. And just because I do like him doesn't make me a jet hater, it makes me a realistic Jets fan. We are all entitled to our opinion and when this plays out some will be correct and the others will have Geno Smith jerseys they have to rip the name off of. He has shown flashes of mediocrity at best. Year 3 is the big leap year they say, well he's not gonna leap,anywhere but to the bench. His inconsistency and folding under pressure will do him in. That's my 2 cents. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I will be.

Fair enough but Chan has taken Fitz (made him a ton of money), Kordell Stewart and Tyler Thigpen and they all had better seasons under him then they ever had before (or since).     It is reasonable to think he can also do the same with Geno especially since many of the spread concepts are what Geno is familiar with.  He is crafting the offense to suit Genos strengths and minimize his weaknesses.   Also consider he has true play makers on offense with Marshall, Decker, Kerley and Smith (to name a few), a quality stable of running backs, a true blocking TE to help the OL and at least I conclude that he will emerge as a better player.  It remains to be seen but that is my expectation. You mention inconsistency which is true, but leave out the context of a young player being force fed before he was ready and having to figure it out on the fly.  If that continues he will be on the bench without a doubt.  The hope is he has learned from his earlier mistakes.   As far as folding under pressure I have not seen any evidence of that.    

Archived