Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

JetBlue

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I knew this was coming lol. The amount of hate is really amusing.

I was strongly against Geno at one time. But folks are amazing out here to find any reason to hate on this guy!!!

Some fans act like they long for a coaching staff that believed false competition and side shows, along with bull horns, red light, green light one two three signs and QB coaches and OCs who had zero experiencing developing a QB is the way to go since that worked out so well.

I don't know if Smith even could be the answer but the way some folks will do anything to distort his say 7 TD AND zero camp play is INSANE!!!

There is almost no doubt that Geno is going into Week 1 as the starter unless he's injured or clearly outplayed by Fitzpatrick during training camp and the preseason. In my opinion, there's no real competition going on here. It's his job to lose, and he'll have to lose it handily in order for the job to be taken away from him.

Geno is a fairly good practice QB. He very well could be good in the classroom as well. Things start to break down once the red jersey comes off and he faces a real, live NFL defense playing at full speed. Let's see what happens.

Pretty much like 95% of all NFL QBs that start in their first 2 years. Geno probably should've been learning on the bench his first 2 years, but Rex needed to win the Snoopy bowl.

I said it when Sanchez was here and I'll say it now for Geno, the best thing that can happen for the Jets is for Geno to step up and be the guy so that's what I'm rooting for. Any other alternative leaves us years from a solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't hate Geno for all the turnovers Nd all the games he lost.

Geno lost my support because, IMO, he didnt give a sh*t enough to act like a mature professional. I called for Matt Summs!! Matt ******* Simms!! You know why? Cuz I had a choice....cheer for a sh*tty QB that doesn't appear to give a sh*t or cheer for a sh*tty QB that does.

When you are under pressure, step up in the pocket.  Don't run backwards.  Really frustrating to watch. 

If he could figure out those 2 things, he may be ok.

Saw some highlights of Andrew Luck - it's impressive how he steps up into the pocket under pressure. Guess it's a matter of instincts.

Geno wont play in week one. He'll lose the job by mid-August

I hope Fitz gets healthy enough and returns to form enough to be the game manager this team should make the 2015 post season with.  If Geno beats that out to rate the start then that would be great.  If Fitz remains off health and off form then the 2015 season is a question mark.  An inconsistent year three Geno would be the definition of anti-climactic.  I am now actively praying to the football gods.       

These root against Geno threads are tiresome.

What is so terrible about him potentially turning into a decent QB? You guys are fans? You're doing it wrong.

I don't get it. These are the same fans who defended garbage like Eric Smith for years but Geno - your not even allowed to want him to get better.

These root against Geno threads are tiresome.

What is so terrible about him potentially turning into a decent QB? You guys are fans? You're doing it wrong.

I can tell you I am not rooting against Geno at all, if he turns into a decent QB it would be great, best thing for the Jets. That said, I don't think he has it. I don't think he has the leadership skills, or the personality to be one of only say 15 guys on the planet who can be a good to great QB in the NFL.

I think Geno has a lot of physical ability, and probably is a hard worker, but he has done enough things since his draft and time here that I seriously doubt he will ever be a good QB.

I hope I am wrong, I have been wrong before, at one point I actually thought Rex was a good HC.

There is almost no doubt that Geno is going into Week 1 as the starter unless he's injured or clearly outplayed by Fitzpatrick during training camp and the preseason.  In my opinion, there's no real competition going on here.  It's his job to lose, and he'll have to lose it handily in order for the job to be taken away from him.

Geno is a fairly good practice QB.  He very well could be good in the classroom as well.  Things start to break down once the red jersey comes off and he faces a real, live NFL defense playing at full speed.  Let's see what happens.

This is what I don't understand. That's what a competition is. If one guys outplays the other, then the one guy is getting the job. That means there is a competition.

When was the last time he was at a Geno practice?

Thats a dismissal, not a substantive defense. Colon has seen geno play every day of his career, and cautioned him not to "wreck the porsche" i wonder how often aaron rogers and drew brees received such admonishments... Oh thats right, never.

This is what I don't understand. That's what a competition is. If one guys outplays the other, then the one guy is getting the job. That means there is a competition.

Technically, every player at every position is competing every single season.  There is always someone trying to take your job away.

At the quarterback position, when it's one guy's job to lose, then it's not really a full blown competition.  Geno is already penciled in as starter.

Technically, every player at every position is competing every single season.  There is always someone trying to take your job away.

At the quarterback position, when it's one guy's job to lose, then it's not really a full blown competition.  Geno is already penciled in as starter.

This is what everyone is getting wrong.  Bowels does not split first team reps, period.  My interpretation is that this in no way means that Fitz can't at some point during the preseason get promoted to first team and Geno get demoted the second team.  This is just a less traditional way to compete.   

This is what everyone is getting wrong.  Bowels does not split first team reps, period.  My interpretation is that this in no way means that Fitz can't at some point during the preseason get promoted to first team and Geno get demoted the second team.  This is just a less traditional way to compete.   

Of course.  Fitzpatrick can certainly take the starting job before the season begins, but Geno will have to fall flat on his face in order for this to happen.  I don't see it happening as Geno is actually a fairly good practice QB.

Of course.  Fitzpatrick can certainly take the starting job before the season begins, but Geno will have to fall flat on his face in order for this to happen.  I don't see it happening as Geno is actually a fairly good practice QB.

Well I think there is more than one way to skin that cat.  Rather than falling flat on his face he might continue to show flashes of both very good and very bad, while Fitz might round into form as a steady unspectacular game manager.  In this scenario if I were the HC, I'd let Geno ride the bench and gather my W's with Fitz.  Choose the tortoise over the hare.  

Thats a dismissal, not a substantive defense. Colon has seen geno play every day of his career, and cautioned him not to "wreck the porsche" i wonder how often aaron rogers and drew brees received such admonishments... Oh thats right, never.

Dismal defense? That he only spent one preseason with Geno, after his rookie year? Makes perfect sense. Geno should be a different player today and is playing in a different O.

We're not close to talking about Colon, we're talking about Gerrard, not getting your point

And why does everyone want to bring up a Bree's or Rodgers? They're two of the best ever. What's the point, Genos not an all timer, we all know this. He doesn't have to be.

Dismal defense? That he only spent one preseason with Geno, after his rookie year? Makes perfect sense. Geno should be a different player today and is playing in a different O.

We're not close to talking about Colon, we're talking about Gerrard, not getting your point

And why does everyone want to bring up a Bree's or Rodgers? They're two of the best ever. What's the point, Genos not an all timer, we all know this. He doesn't have to be.

Garrard's opinion worth a zillion times more than yours, or mine. Try again.

Bye the way, Fitzpatrick has never been warned by his team mates not to screw it up. Is he one of the best ever, also?

No, you just have to not be putrid to avoid being called out by your own teammates not to **** everything up.

Garrard's opinion worth a zillion times more than yours, or mine. Try again.

Bye the way, Fitzpatrick has never been warned by his team mates not to screw it up. Is he one of the best ever, also?

No, you just have to not be putrid to avoid being called out by your own teammates not to **** everything up.

Where was my opinion brought into this? Want to find where I used my opinion to dispute Garrard? What does my opinion have to do with questioning how someone who hasn't seen Geno on n camp over a year ago have to do with anything other than for you to try and explain away a perfectly good question.

How do you know what anyone said about Fitz over the last 9 seasons. You have no idea, never mind Colon didn't say Geno sucked he said don't mess up. What does that mean? And again what does this have to do with Garrard not seeing Geno?

Where was my opinion brought into this? Want to find where I used my opinion to dispute Garrard? What does my opinion have to do with questioning how someone who hasn't seen Geno on n camp over a year ago have to do with anything other than for you to try and explain away a perfectly good question.

How do you know what anyone said about Fitz over the last 9 seasons. You have no idea, never mind Colon didn't say Geno sucked he said don't mess up. What does that mean? And again what does this have to do with Garrard not seeing Geno?

you love geno, makes you dismissive of what real, actual NFL players and QBs have to say. you don't retort with substance, you dismiss entirely. sign of a weak position imho.

you love geno, makes you dismissive of what real, actual NFL players and QBs have to say. you don't retort with substance, you dismiss entirely. sign of a weak position imho.

What is your problem? Who loves Geno? Even if I did wtf does it have to do with questioning how someone who hasn't seen someone practice in over a year can comment on how they practice? How does any of this mean that we have to trust a QB who hasn't seen him in over a year. Answer that or move on

Substance, LOL, you hate Geno so much you can't bring yourself to read

He doesn't have to improve his game by starting either. He might actually be an asset to the Jets (and no, after two years starting his play has not been an asset to the team - don't even try to say it has been) if he rode the pine a season or two. That used to be a more traditional route for quarterbacks. Whether Geno was ready to start or not (and he wasn't - again, don't even try to say he was) he's been saddled with the pressures of starting as a QB in the NFL while trying to learn the position. He wasn't up to it and it's not been ideal for him, the team or the fans. Fitz has established himself as a journeyman starter - and that's better resume than Geno's.

Russell Wilson disagrees with you. That wasn't a competition either, by your definition.

Plus nobody was promised a "full blown" competition. They were promised a competition. And that's what they have. 

The only reason there wasn't a competition last year was that Vick refused to participate in a competition. He said essentially "Geno can have it."

Fitzpatrick has never been warned by his team mates not to screw it up. Is he one of the best ever, also?

Didn't Brady get called out by Randy Moss for being an a$$hole in general and also looking like a girl?

Archived