Geno Smith Pulls Away in New York Jets QB Competition

JetBlue

You have this amazing ability to read an article and change the entire focus of what is being said to what you want told

And then ague with people who actually what was said.

I find it fascinating as well....  

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make-or-break was also last year's mantra for Geno, for what it's worth.  I personally expected nothing from his sophomore season after his buffoonish conduct on an airplane gave me a glimpse the guy we continue to trust our offense to. So brace yourself for more disappointment if he starts. He needs the humility of the pine - and only maybe then does he have a shot. But as long as he thinks he's something special then we'll continue to have problems. 

Being benched and booed is not enough humiliation?  Should he also be tarred and feathered?  

Being benched and booed is not enough humiliation?  Should he also be tarred and feathered?  

I am speaking about gaining humility, not humiliation. If his job was to back up and learn the position from someone more experienced (once again, the traditional route) he wouldn't be burdened with the pressures of a starter and would likely be more teachable. I've noticed many times Geno do things he was never coached to do - most prominently thinking about his turnover-six he created when he tried to switch the ball from one hand to another behind his back while getting sacked. Someone that removed from the fundamentals shouldn't have been starting at QB. At least not for my team.

I am speaking about gaining humility, not humiliation. If his job was to back up and learn the position from someone more experienced (once again, the traditional route) he wouldn't be burdened with the pressures of a starter and would likely be more teachable. I've noticed many times Geno do things he was never coached to do - most prominently thinking about his turnover-six he created when he tried to switch the ball from one hand to another behind his back while getting sacked. Someone that removed from the fundamentals shouldn't have been starting at QB. At least not for my team.

I think getting benched will make any body humble.  All the abuse he has received (well deserved for the most part) the last two years will also make you humble.  If he is outplayed by Fitz he will sit and learn.  If he keeps the job, he will still learn from Fitz veteran leadership and experience.   He is being coached by Gailey and Patello to have better ball security.  I feel confident that all those areas are being addressed.   

I think getting benched will make any body humble. All the abuse he has received (well deserved for the most part) the last two years will also make you humble. If he is outplayed by Fitz he will sit and learn. If he keeps the job, he will still learn from Fitz veteran leadership and experience. He is being coached by Gailey and Patello to have better ball security. I feel confident that all those areas are being addressed.

This is a great point. The truth is Vick was collecting a paycheck and every team out there saw that he wasn't even ready when he was called on.

They went back to Geno because Vick couldn't find anyone open either....why? Because NOBODY gets open on this freaking team!

Geno has had to thread the needle or FORCE throws because in the 2 years he's played the WR+TE position has been f*cking abysmal.

It just amazes me how Jet fans have been screaming for 3 years to start taking offensive studs high in the draft..why? Because we had NOTHING, but we expect our young neophyte QB to be a star.

At the beginning of 2013, the Pats tried to draft some young WRs to infuse some youth into the team. Do you know what happened?

Brady couldn't function with them because they had no idea what they were doing, running bad routes, dropping balls, I think it was Tompkins & Dobson and I believe BOTH are gone.

Well the moral of these story is that even the GREATS can't function when they don't get help. Brady won't play as well if Gronk goes down...FACT.

I don't think our Oline is good enough to have a small bearded pocket passer like Fitz. Last year Geno had to bail out quickly because of some major whiffs along the line. Fitz is NOT running away from anyone.

I'm praying that with Gailey designing a more Geno friendly offense (no more complicated WCO) and some serious weapons in Marshall, Decker, Kerley, Smith, Geno can progress because if he can't Fitz is not taking us to the promised land.

The 71-year-old Namath thinks a third year "absolutely" could make a difference for Smith, especially with a better cast around him.

I find it rather amusing that some of you feel the above SENTENCE is QUOTED from Namath.  THE ONLY WORD I SEE QUOTED IS THE WORD "ABSOLUTELY"... The rest of the SENTENCE IS written as INTERPRETED By The Author.

"But what I have said in the past is I haven't seen anything particularly outstanding about the passing ability or the footwork or the running,"... "What is outstanding?"

The Above Quote IS DIRECTLY MADE FROM NAMATH Referring to smith... I GO BY THIS   :beer:

Archived