Shonn Greene released by the Titans

joewilly12

Shonn Greene will likely always have a special place in the hearts of Jets fans, in particular for his playoff performances as a rookie back in 2009. With fans of the Tennessee Titans? Not so much.

Greene, who joined the Titans as a free agent in 2013, was released on Tuesday after two disappointing seasons, the team announced. The move had been expected because Greene was scheduled to count $4.2 million against the salary cap this season, and the Titans had drafted Bishop Sankey last year and David Cobb and fullback Jalston Fowler this year.

Greene rushed for a combined 687 yards and six touchdowns in his two seasons in Nashville. By cutting Greene, the Titans save $3.35 million against the cap, according to overthecap.com. He also got arrested on charges of resisting a stop last October, and by December he sounded pretty fed up with the Titans in general.

PLUS: Kordell says Chan right for Geno

Greene's tenure as a Jet went much better. He rushed for more than 1,000 yards in two of his four seasons, which he parlayed into a free agent deal with the Titans. And as a rookie, Greene helped propel the Jets to the first of two straight AFC Championship Game appearances by pounding out more than 100 rushing yards in road playoff victories against the Chargers and Bengals.

The Jets had selected Greene in the third round of the 2009 draft.

Dom Cosentino may be reached at dcosentino@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @domcosentino. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

It's hard for me with Greene. That playoff game in San Diego was one of the greatest Jets games of my life. But we traded what, a 4th and a 7th to move up in the 3rd for him? I'm not so sure that was worth the 2 and 1/2 years or so of good play we got out of him. Particularly since IIRC we could have just stayed pat and drafted Wallace or Vasquez.

It always felt to me like he was a bit like Lamont Jordan with Curtis Martin.  You always wanted to see more of him when he was behind a stud RB (Thomas Jones/LT) but he never lit it up when he became the man...

Having said that, I really believe we had a shot in that Colts game if he didn't get hurt.

I wouldn't even say they were good years of play. He hardly ever got more than what the offensive line gave him. Though I will give him credit, he was lights out in the San Diego game. Oh, and who could forget him taking a nap in the Patriots end zone? Though it was much more reasonable to fall down at the one and run out the clock, I loved that act as just a little extra "**** you" gesture towards the Pats.

Not surprising.

Greene has very bad vision, and for a running back his size, he goes down on first contact way too often.  He was a product of the Jets' offensive lines in 2009 and 2010.

He's basically a poor man's Trent Richardson, who will be out of the league sooner rather than later as well.

I may be off, but I remember him as a 2 yards, 1 yard, 1.5 yards, 2 yards, then 28 yards, type of guy.

Not a fan of that game.

Yes, you're very off. He rarely got the 28 yard bursts.

2009: 844 Yards, 5.2 YPC, 5 carries of 20+, or 8 carries of 15+ yards including playoffs

2010: 964 Yards, 4.2 YPC, 3 carries of 20+, or 5 carries of 15+ yards including playoffs

2011: 1054 Yards, 4.2 ypc, 4 carries of 20+, or 6 carries of 15+ yards

2012: 1063 yards, 3.9 ypc, 2 carries of 20+, or 5 carries of 15+ yards

All together - 3,925 Yards with only 14 carries of 20+ yards, or 24 carries of 15+ yards in 67 games.

His problem actually was NOT getting those 20+ yard carries or even the 15+ yard carries. He doesn't have quick feet, not shifty, but where he did make up for it was his power. He'd almost always fall forward for an extra yard or two. If he had slightly better vision, he could've been a 1200+ yard RB like TJ was.

Not surprising.

Greene has very bad vision, and for a running back his size, he goes down on first contact way too often.  He was a product of the Jets' offensive lines in 2009 and 2010.

He's basically a poor man's Trent Richardson, who will be out of the league sooner rather than later as well.

Trent Richardson is sh*t and he's proven that. Knowing what we know now, would you take a rookie Richardson or a rookie Shonn?

Yes, you're very off. He rarely got the 28 yard bursts.

2009: 844 Yards, 5.2 YPC, 5 carries of 20+, or 8 carries of 15+ yards including playoffs

2010: 964 Yards, 4.2 YPC, 3 carries of 20+, or 5 carries of 15+ yards including playoffs

2011: 1054 Yards, 4.2 ypc, 4 carries of 20+, or 6 carries of 15+ yards

2012: 1063 yards, 3.9 ypc, 2 carries of 20+, or 5 carries of 15+ yards

All together - 3,925 Yards with only 14 carries of 20+ yards, or 24 carries of 15+ yards in 67 games.

His problem actually was NOT getting those 20+ yard carries or even the 15+ yard carries. He doesn't have quick feet, not shifty, but where he did make up for it was his power. He'd almost always fall forward for an extra yard or two. If he had slightly better vision, he could've been a 1200+ yard RB like TJ was.

Eh, whatever. Never liked him.

Not surprising.

This would have more to it if Richardson was as good as Greene.  

It always felt to me like he was a bit like Lamont Jordan with Curtis Martin.  You always wanted to see more of him when he was behind a stud RB (Thomas Jones/LT) but he never lit it up when he became the man...

Nailed it.

After his rookie year he earned the nickname War Machine I remember reading on JI and other message boards, but he never lived up to the hype after that run.

Now his jersey hangs in my closet along with Gholston, Rhodes, Sanchez and other wastes of money lol

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

It's hard for me with Greene. That playoff game in San Diego was one of the greatest Jets games of my life. But we traded what, a 4th and a 7th to move up in the 3rd for him? I'm not so sure that was worth the 2 and 1/2 years or so of good play we got out of him. Particularly since IIRC we could have just stayed pat and drafted Wallace or Vasquez.

Or Brandon Tate, Ramses Barden or Kraig Urbick.  I guess trading up was an endemic problem with Tannenbaum, but there was a bunch of crap taken in the 3rd.  Greene was a pretty good pick and ready to roll out of the gate.  The 4th round was even more of a wasteland.  Maybe Austin Collie or Greg Toler?  One thing for Tannenbaum, I don't know about value, but outside of QB when he moved up his targets were legit.

He literally fell down after running 3 yards on every play.

Aside from 2009 and 2010, hot rotten garbage.

He literally fell down after running 3 yards on every play, yet his career ypc is over 4, even after being brought down by his years in Tennessee. He had a very good year in 2011.  I guess everybody gets a pass for Sparano in 2012, except Greene.  I don't want to bring him back, but he deserves a job in the NFL

Trent Richardson is sh*t and he's proven that. Knowing what we know now, would you take a rookie Richardson or a rookie Shonn?

Behind our 2009 offensive line? I'd take either of them, and get 4.5 yards per carry.

Greene was a product of the Jets absurd oline. He was never a back that was going to get you yards that weren't blocked for him.

And he shouldn't of scored in the Pats game. Fall down at the one and milk the clock- as the Pats went right back down the field and scored.

Greene had over 5 that year.  Of course Thomas Jones was a "great pickup" and he got 4.2

The 4.5 was more a nod to what Trent Richardson could have gotten, and I came up with that number knowing how both Jones and Greene did.

Behind our 2009 offensive line? I'd take either of them, and get 4.5 yards per carry.

lololololololol. Mr Richardson averaged 2.9 yards a carry behind an OL that averaged 5.0 yards a carry without him in 2013. Fair enough, he was new to that offense in 2013. But in 2014, he averaged 3.3 while the rest of the team combined for 4.3 yards a carry.

Yeah, I wouldn't take Richardson over Greene. I'd rather have Tebow run the wildcat than see Richardson run straight in to the DL for 2 yards everytime. At least he's consistent.

lololololololol. Mr Richardson averaged 2.9 yards a carry behind an OL that averaged 5.0 yards a carry without him in 2013. Fair enough, he was new to that offense in 2013. But in 2014, he averaged 3.3 while the rest of the team combined for 4.3 yards a carry.

Yeah, I wouldn't take Richardson over Greene. I'd rather have Tebow run the wildcat than see Richardson run straight in to the DL for 2 yards everytime. At least he's consistent.

Good grief.

I was making an exaggerated statement about how good our OL was, let's not get hung up on the suck-itude of Trent Richardson. Everyone knows he is garbage.

Archived