Kyle Wilson losing spot to CFL corner

Jet in PA

The story behind Delvin Breaux seems to be getting more and more interesting as the offseason rolls on. While Breaux made some noise last week with a few big plays, they apparently didn't go unnoticed. Larry Holder of NOLA.com reported that during Tuesday's minicamp practice, Breaux was moved to the first-team defense.

"Breaux took nearly all of the snaps with the first-team defense as the nickel cornerback during Tuesday's minicamp practice. Breaux replaced a struggling Kyle Wilson in the slot after playing primarily on the outside during the first three weeks." Holder explained.

Sean Payton spoke about the move, as well as a few others that were made during the minicamp practice.

"The key is to get your best players on the field," Saints coach Sean Payton told NOLA.com Tuesday.

It's one thing to make plays, but another to be bumped up to the first-team this early on. The hype behind Breaux was interesting, but it's seeming like there's a good chance that he may be able to live up to that hype. Only time will tell, but he's off to a good start.

Granted we didn't have top level secondary talent last year, but with the "exposure" of Wilson and the below comment

it makes you wonder:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51985/calvin-pace-with-revamped-secondary-no-excuses-for-jets-defense

By the end of the season, he was starting Darrin Walls and Marcus Williams at cornerback -- a career backup and an undrafted rookie, respectively. (As an aside, it's worth noting that coach Todd Bowles singled out Walls and Williams last week as spring standouts. He praised their "very consistent" approach and "very good" instincts. It's interesting that he lauded two players deemed spare parts by Ryan & Co.).

Granted we didn't have top level secondary talent last year, but with the "exposure" of Wilson and the below comment

it makes you wonder:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/51985/calvin-pace-with-revamped-secondary-no-excuses-for-jets-defense

By the end of the season, he was starting Darrin Walls and Marcus Williams at cornerback -- a career backup and an undrafted rookie, respectively. (As an aside, it's worth noting that coach Todd Bowles singled out Walls and Williams last week as spring standouts. He praised their "very consistent" approach and "very good" instincts. It's interesting that he lauded two players deemed spare parts by Ryan & Co.).

CrazyCarl showing up in 5....4.....3......

it makes you wonder:

it makes you wonder:

Curious how 2 starters were deemed "spare parts" per this author.  That makes zero sense.  And if you think because Bowles was complimentary to 2 fringe players that you're going to see significant Walls and Williams during the season, I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Ryan had Wilson for FIVE years and NEVER demoted him from being the nickel CB.  It took 

his brother all of three months

it makes you wonder:

Are you ever going to give it a rest?  Ryan didn't start that piece of sh*t despite having, quite literally, nothing at the position.  Wilson played less snaps than Walls, Allen and Marcus Williams despite being the only one to play 16 games.  He played one more snap than Philip ******* Adams for crying out loud. 

it makes you wonder:

Ugh. Come on... These guys were Rex's starters, and the author calls them "spare parts"? Lol. And Bowles' "spring standouts" are battling for fifth and sixth CB jobs (read: a spot on the roster). If this is supposed to be some sort of shot at Rex, it's a swing and a miss.

More on point is look at the 2010 draft.  MANY terrific players were available but we take a kid from Boise State.

A HEAD scratcher. Followed by VLAD.

Rex and Tanny together were a disaster in the draft.

Followed by REX and Idzik.

kyle Wilson was highly regarded in the 2010 draft and was selected about where he was projected to go. although he never lived up to the billing, calling the pick a" head scratcher" is hindsight at best

Ryan had Wilson for FIVE years and NEVER demoted him from being the nickel CB.  It took 

his brother all of three months

rex would rather lose his way than win someone else's way. Buddy syndrome.

kyle Wilson was highly regarded in the 2010 draft and was selected about where he was projected to go. although he never lived up to the billing, calling the pick a" head scratcher" is hindsight at best

Vlad was a head scratcher. Wilson was just dumb need-based pick because the FO wanted a "Welker-stopper"

Wilson was also a local kid from Jersey so they may have had a soft spot for him.

Wilson and Milliner.  Number one corners. Two highly regarded college players. Neither of them knows how to turn around and run with a wideout.  The draft is a crapshoot, my friends, and they are the crap.

I've been saying this since the first time I saw Wilson play.  How does a guy get through a pretty good college program without learning the mechanics of his craft/position?

You are correct.

The truth is not that he was selected where he was selected but the question is why didn't he and a host of Tanny/Ryan picks not ever exceed expectations ?

That is the key is many failed to be up to where they have been drafted. Teams can't win getting that kind of lack of player development. Period!!!

Spot on. Wilson was a pick a lot of people had high hopes for just never worked out, it was pretty shocking to see how awful his cover skills were in the NFL as to where he was picked

Understood.  I understand your point but that is the same logic many have used to justify VLAD.

GREAT teams dont choose "developmental" players with their entire draft.  Wilson, Vlad, McNight and Connor.

No report stated he was  "ready" to start etc...  imagine we took Gronk.

Wilson and Milliner.  Number one corners. Two highly regarded college players. Neither of them knows how to turn around and run with a wideout.  The draft is a crapshoot, my friends, and they are the crap.

Wilson yes, but you don't know ANYTHING about Milliner. He's been mostly injured these last two years. How can you possibly make that claim?

Vlad was a head scratcher. Wilson was just dumb need-based pick because the FO wanted a "Welker-stopper"

Wilson was also a local kid from Jersey so they may have had a soft spot for him.

lol was it actually stated that's the reason they drafted Wilson? I actually thought it was a mix of BPA and need. Wilson was highly regarded in college and he was a good value pick for the kind of defense Rex was trying to run at the time.

More on point is look at the 2010 draft.  MANY terrific players were available but we take a kid from Boise State.

A HEAD scratcher. Followed by VLAD.

Rex and Tanny together were a disaster in the draft.

Followed by REX and Idzik.

What? That ENTIRE DRAFT WAS AWFUL! It's one of the reasons I gave Idszhit a pass last years FA period b/c I thought he recognized that the 2014 FA were the dregs NOT-RESIGNED from that draft.

2010 was a HORRIBLE TALENT CLASS and no team did exceptionally well that year. It's made al, the more obvious by the greatness of the 2011 draft and the FA that were available this past spring.

Wilson yes, but you don't know ANYTHING about Milliner. He's been mostly injured these last two years. How can you possibly make that claim?

He's played 16 of a possible 32 games. So that's one season worth. He was meh on his best days.

What? That ENTIRE DRAFT WAS AWFUL! It's one of the reasons I gave Idszhit a pass last years FA period b/c I thought he recognized that the 2014 FA were the dregs NOT-RESIGNED from that draft.

2010 was a HORRIBLE TALENT CLASS and no team did exceptionally well that year. It's made al, the more obvious by the greatness of the 2011 draft and the FA that were available this past spring.

I love how guys on the board call the draft a crap shoot.  I bet most guys interviewing for a GM spot say "Hey..its a crap shoot".  Absolutely not.

Is some element of unknown involved? sure. BUT, I stand by Giants, Steelers, Pats etc... they draft better than JETS, Browns, Bucs etc.  

THEY do more work eliminating as much risk as possible.

If you believe what you stated, heck then good teams would trade their entire 2010 draft for 2011 picks.  Many great players were available in 2010.  

We simply chose NONE of them.  REX went to Kentucky for a LBer and came back with Conner.  We went to a DIA school to recruit VLAD???  yet Victor Cruz went un-noticed.  

" Mr. Owner, as your GM I say lets trade the entire draft. This class sucks.  Lets get 2-3 picks next year , they are going to be better".

Archived