Bill Simmons to HBO?

Morrissey

HBO executives are wooing the outgoing ESPN columnist Bill Simmons and are hopeful they'll strike a deal soon, a source said Wednesday.

Other companies are also courting Simmons, but HBO has some unique advantages, including a reputation for giving a lot of creative latitude to its stars.

The source with knowledge of the talks said Simmons would gain both a television show on HBO and an online home for columns and other content.

The online column would be new territory for HBO. But it's a logical addition now that the cable service is seeking Internet subscribers for the first time.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks are sensitive. HBO is declining to comment.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/17/media/bill-simmons-hbo/index.html

Worth mentioning HBO is a subsidiary of Time Warner, who is also the parent company of TNT (NBA games/coverage). CNN is also a subsidiary of Time Warner.

Seems like a pretty good fit for a guy who wants creative freedom. Hopefully he can poach some of the talent he cultivated over at Grantland and 30 for 30.

It will be interesting to see how he'll use this creative freedom. My guess is he'll start with finding ways to compare inanimate objects with the 1986 Celtics and end every show with "Yup, these are my readers."

Now that he's finally free from the oppressively Disneyfied environment of ESPN, I bet he'll have a lot of interesting, provocative things to say.

Archived