Bills giving tryout to Wayne Hunter LMFAO

joewilly12

If I had to pick 2 of those 3 players to start Hunter would be on the bench. Wilson was a better slot CB than Hunter was a RT and Smith even had a very short moment of success. I cant remember ever saying that I felt Hunter had a good game. I can say atleast that for both Wilson and Smith.

Smith was the worst coverage safety in the nfl for several years. Wilson was terrible he only didn't get picked on more last 2 seasons because the other teams' first two receivers were always open.

Wilson was so bad he couldn't beat out guys we were literally pulling off the street to play CB.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right? Favre wouldn't help a QB develop. Sanchez wouldn't learn a thing watching Favre play, prepare etc. I mean we all know that would never work. It's not we've seen anyone sit and learn from Favre. Rodgers sucks because of it, right?

Seriously, even if he was as ready as can be you have a 1st ballot HOF QB on your team, who until injuring his arm was leading the Jets to the leagues #1 offense, in first place and headed to the playoffs T 8-3.

Yet no one said why didn't Mangini replace the injured Favre with his own draft pick Clemens who was in his 3rd year didn't Mangini develop him after 3 years??LOL

Smith was the worst coverage safety in the nfl for several years. Wilson was terrible he only didn't get picked on more last 2 seasons because the other teams' first two receivers were always open.

Wilson was so bad he couldn't beat out guys we were literally pulling off the street to play CB.

These facts dont make Wayne Hunter any better. This shouldnt even be turning into a debate given that none of these guys are on the team and I really dont care. 

Thank you!!!

You are so right.

Think Sanchez own college HC said that Sanchez was NOT ready for the NFL, but somehow Tanny, the brain, GM knew more than Pete Carrol and the professional scouts.

Rex was the one who wanted Sanchez. Tanny's job was to get Rex the players he wanted, at least in the first few years. That was what he did for Mangini, and that was what he did for Rex.

Ryan brought 10 assistant coaches from last year's Jets staff with him to Buffalo. The Bills have three ex-Jets from last year—Percy Harvin, John Conner, and Matt Simms—on their offseason roster. Their defense is stacked. And they have quarterback/offensive issues that ring out with a hauntingly familiar refrain. 

And the results will be hauntingly similar as well. Rex is a loser plain and simple. He is a half a HC at BEST and Buffalo will find that out very soon. 

I always felt that Wilson received unfair criticism for his cb play. in 2012, he started on the outside in replace of revis. that year, I believe, they had a top 5 pass defense. but lets just leave that year out of the argument. the last 2 years, Wilson gave up less than 2 receptions a game on average( if I am reading that correctly) out of the slot. with an average of less than 10 yards a reception.

also, Wilson beating out cb's off the street is neither here nor there. we have no idea if that is the case or the cs wanted him in the slot. to say that wayne hunter is a better player than kyle Wilson is really laughable and bordering on insane. on a side note, at least smith was really good on special teams. hunters specialty was getting sanchez hit. repeatedly

I always felt that Wilson received unfair criticism for his cb play. in 2012, he started on the outside in replace of revis. that year, I believe, they had a top 5 pass defense. but lets just leave that year out of the argument. the last 2 years, Wilson gave up less than 2 receptions a game on average( if I am reading that correctly) out of the slot. with an average of less than 10 yards a reception.

also, Wilson beating out cb's off the street is neither here nor there. we have no idea if that is the case or the cs wanted him in the slot. to say that wayne hunter is a better player than kyle Wilson is really laughable and bordering on insane. on a side note, at least smith was really good on special teams. hunters specialty was getting sanchez hit. repeatedly

Eh.  I used to give Wilson the benefit of the doubt on some of these things, but it was obvious last year and when nobody signed him during the first wave that he is not well regarded.  One of Wilson's main advantages was supposed to be that he was a smart vet that studied and knew all the defensive back positions, including safety.  Seems like a guy like that could play outside and slide to the slot when going nickel, but they didn't do that.  Walls, Allen and Williams all played significantly more snaps.  Patrick Adams who wasn't on the team for the entire season had only a couple of snaps less.  Milliner got more snaps in the games he played.  I don't think there is a single game where Wilson was higher than fifth in snaps played by a DB and there are some where all three safeties (Pryor, Jarrett and Landry-in addition to Allen at CB) all played more snaps.  They just did not like him.

I agree he is probably a better player than Hunter, but Hunter was considered the toughest guy on the team and did play some big games.  He started and played the entire playoff win on the road against the Pats at the end of the 2010 season.  He was a abomination as starter in 2011, but had some health issues and was allegedly a solid backup at G, T and blocking TE.  The reason the signing smells is the guy's age and time out of football.

They just did not like him.

regardless. I have heard posters call Wilson one of the teams worst players. its just not so. im not on my soap box calling Wilson a great or even good player. he is just not as bad as people make him out to be. he gave up less than 60 catches the past 2 seasons. call me ignorant, but that doesn't seem horrible to me

I agree he is probably a better player than Hunter, but Hunter was considered the toughest guy on the team and did play some big games. He started and played the entire playoff win on the road against the Pats at the end of the 2010 season. He was a abomination as starter in 2011, but had some health issues and was allegedly a solid backup at G, T and blocking TE. The reason the signing smells is the guy's age and time out of football

yes. I remember vividly. he played really well when woody went down, and to be honest, I was very happy that they signed him to be the starter in 2011.however, this has nothing to do with the fact that when he was given the chance to start, he flopped. big time. he was horrible in 2011. given the fact of the age difference, lets say you are a gm. who do you sign? 2014 version of Wilson, or the 2011 version of hunter. honestly, I don't think its even close.

it is what it is. Wilson is an average slot corner and hunter was a great swing tackle and a horrible full time starter

regardless. I have heard posters call Wilson one of the teams worst players. its just not so. im not on my soap box calling Wilson a great or even good player. he is just not as bad as people make him out to be. he gave up less than 60 catches the past 2 seasons. call me ignorant, but that doesn't seem horrible to me

yes. I remember vividly. he played really well when woody went down, and to be honest, I was very happy that they signed him to be the starter in 2011.however, this has nothing to do with the fact that when he was given the chance to start, he flopped. big time. he was horrible in 2011. given the fact of the age difference, lets say you are a gm. who do you sign? 2014 version of Wilson, or the 2011 version of hunter. honestly, I don't think its even close.

it is what it is. Wilson is an average slot corner and hunter was a great swing tackle and a horrible starter

Reading some of the narrative now about Hunter they seem to be claiming that his body let him down and that after some time away from the game he feels better.  This is typical fluff piece nonsense because I remember that he was doing all kinds of sh*t like working on his lateral movement and seeing a sports psychologist because he wanted to get better and could not understand what went wrong in 2011.  He seemed shellshocked, the David Carr of tackles.

Reading some of the narrative now about Hunter they seem to be claiming that his body let him down and that after some time away from the game he feels better.  This is typical fluff piece nonsense because I remember that he was doing all kinds of sh*t like working on his lateral movement and seeing a sports psychologist because he wanted to get better and could not understand what went wrong in 2011.  He seemed shellshocked, the David Carr of tackles.

ya. hunters issues definetely seem to stem from upstairs

It's Official.  Wayne Hunter signed a one year contract with the Bills 

Wayne Hunter has signed a one year deal with the Bills according to Tony Pauline of DraftInsider.net.

The report should not come as a surprise to Bills fans. On June 18, Rex Ryan stated that he believed the veteran offensive tackle would be signed by Buffalo.

"Yeah, I think he'll be signed," Ryan said. "We're just putting him through the individual drills. We weren't putting him through any team drills. Just he kind of gets his feet wet and picks up some terminology and things like that, where he'll have a better chance when we get back out there in training camp.

"But it's good for a veteran player just to get out. I think he impressed some coaches with how athletic he is. He looks like he's in great shape. It'll be fun watching him compete."

Hunter last played in the NFL in 2012 with the St. Louis Rams. In his career, Hunter has played with the Seattle Seahawks (2003-2005), Jacksonville Jaguars (2006) and the New York Jets (2008-2011). During his stint in New York, Hunter played three seasons under Rex Ryan.

Hunter has 25 career starts and has played in 77 career games. The veteran is expected to compete for a backup job at offensive tackle.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/bills/story/1559899-report-bills-sign-ot-wayne-hunter?hootPostID=48b446e3cc07487e74d7557865a79255

To all those who said that Hunter was nothing more than camp fodder what's the deal?

Hunter was awful here and was out of the NFL for a reason. In truth he seems like a good person but in no stretch of the imagination should he on an NFL team at this time.

Simply mindbiggling!!

To all those who said that Hunter was nothing more than camp fodder what's the deal?

Hunter was awful here and was out of the NFL for a reason. In truth he seems like a good person but in no stretch of the imagination should he on an NFL team at this time.

Simply mindbiggling!!

Yes Charlie, I am with you on this one.  I am 99.9% with Ryan and Whaley's choices but I smh on this one.  

Meh, just some depth for now. Doubt he lasts all year. Ideally, he doesn't step on the field because we are healthy. 

And ideally for entertainment value, Richie Incognito makes him cry, and Rex says something to the tune of "Boy I tell ya, Incognito is a helluva competitor."  Then Vlad Ducasse takes Hunter's spot on the roster, rinse and repeat.

Meh, just some depth for now. Doubt he lasts all year. Ideally, he doesn't step on the field because we are healthy. 

Yes,  another Bills Fan here on the Jets Forum.  Let's go Bills.  I also doubt we'll see Hunter on the field.

You'll share the same pain Rex gave us the past 6 years and hey, maybe then you'll finally switch sides.(:

As a Bills Fan,  I hope our team starts like the Jets' first two years with AFC Championships back-to-back.  I'll worry about the 3rd year when the time comes.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, he certainly didn't last. Cut by Bills already. 

The NFL.com article referenced the passage in Collision Low Crossers where Rex admitted getting a tribal tattoo in an effort to woo Hunter to the Jets.  Hilarious.  That's like getting a tattoo of a pizza to try to lure Rosie O'Donnell into bed.

Archived