Tragedy in Charelston, SC

Morrissey

News breaking late tonight of a mass shooting at church in Charleston, S.C.

Terrible news, Charleston is a beautiful, vibrant city.

Confirmed by Charleston County police: suspect still at large, bomb threat at Courtyard Marriott hotel... Police helicopters in air

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/611379558072188928

Manhunt underway.

CHwCKbTWcAAqPuG.png

Suspect is still on the loose. White male, approximately 21 years old, sandy blonde hair. "He is obviously extremely dangerous."

https://twitter.com/tjholmes/status/611396171219791872

UPDATE:  9 dead. Awful.

Police are searching for a gunman who opened fire Wednesday night at a historic African American church in downtown Charleston, S.C. Charleston officials said nine people were killed and others injured.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/06/17/white-gunman-sought-in-shooting-at-historic-charleston-african-ame-church/?postshare=1371434604769936

State Sen. Clementa Pinckney among the dead, NBC News confirms.

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/611395821209276416

Shooter has been apprehended.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/charleston-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof-21-apprehended/story?id=31851054

Dylann Roof, the alleged gunman authorities say is responsible for killing nine people in a Charleston, South Carolina, church Wednesday night, has been apprehended, authorities said.

"I can confirm that there is a subject in custody in relation to the shootings in Charleston from last evening," U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said today at a news conference. "And, of course, this moves us into a different phase of the investigation, which will be pursued as vigorously and with as complete cooperation as the apprehension of this individual."

Police said Roof, 21, was arrested today at a traffic stop in Shelby, North Carolina, about 250 miles north of Charleston.

My sister had a scare in her town in Colorado with one of these "random shooters". Even though they're generally NOT common, they're easily the scariest.

This is terrible.

Random shooter? Are you out of your mind? Like it's just a coincidence that he happened to open fire in a black church, the most favored target of domestic terrorism since forever. The randoms are only the scariest for people who aren't specifically targeted.

Random shooter? Are you out of your mind? Like it's just a coincidence that he happened to open fire in a black church, the most favored target of domestic terrorism since forever. The randoms are only the scariest for people who aren't specifically targeted.

Mass shooters tend to follow a pretty typical "type".  I'm not convinced yet this was a pure hate crime until more information comes out.  The dude sat quietly in the church for an hour before opening fire, then told a woman he was going to leave her alive to tell the story.  This sounds more like a chilling psychopath, like the school shooter or the movie theater shooter, than a racial thing. 

If it was a hate crime, I would have expected him to yell some form of racial epithet, and leave some obvious signal that he hated black people.  This guy seemed more like a cold-blooded psychopath, with race having nothing to do with it.  That's naturally how it will get interpreted but until more facts come out, I'll assume the guy is just  another insane public mass killer.

Mass shooters tend to follow a pretty typical "type". I'm not convinced yet this was a pure hate crime until more information comes out. The dude sat quietly in the church for an hour before opening fire, then told a woman he was going to leave her alive to tell the story. This sounds more like a school shooter or the movie theater shooter than a racial thing.

If it was a hate crime, I would have expected him to yell some form of racial epithet, and leave some obvious signal that he hated black people. This guy seemed more like a cold-blooded psychopath, with race having nothing to do with it. That's naturally how it will get interpreted but until more facts come out, I'll assume the guy is just another insane public mass killer.

It happened on the anniversary of Denmark Vesey's planned uprising in the church Vesey's kid built, so assumption bro

Mass shooters tend to follow a pretty typical "type".  I'm not convinced yet this was a pure hate crime until more information comes out.  The dude sat quietly in the church for an hour before opening fire, then told a woman he was going to leave her alive to tell the story.  This sounds more like a chilling psychopath, like the school shooter or the movie theater shooter, than a racial thing. 

If it was a hate crime, I would have expected him to yell some form of racial epithet, and leave some obvious signal that he hated black people.  This guy seemed more like a cold-blooded psychopath, with race having nothing to do with it.  That's naturally how it will get interpreted but until more facts come out, I'll assume the guy is just  another insane public mass killer.

100% a hate crime.  Racially motivated.  Absolutely horrible.  

"You rape our women and you're taking over our country. And you have to go." Yeah, I'm sure they were all Twilight fans or something.

100% a hate crime.  Racially motivated.  Absolutely horrible.  

Just read this, so that is correct:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/us/charleston-church-shooting.html?_r=0

Mr. Roof’s Facebook profile picture shows him wearing a jacket decorated with the flags of two former white supremacist regimes: in apartheid-era South Africa, and in Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe.

“I have to do it,” the gunman was quoted as saying. “You rape our women and you’re taking over our country. And you have to go.”

Calling the shooting the work of “a hateful and deranged mind,” Mayor Joseph P. Riley Jr. said it was hard to imagine churchgoers at “a prayer service and a Bible service, and they’re speaking about the Holy Scriptures and praying,” while someone is “sitting there contemplating the act of murder.”

Bone chilling.  Wtf.

As far as reflexive denial of racial animus directed toward nonwhites goes, the shameful and repugnant part is more concerning than the obviously wrong and stupid part.

It was a reflexive assumption based on what previous mass shooters had done.  Not a defense of white people.  Typical mass shooters in that 21-26 age group, almost exclusively white males, tend to target civillians in public places.  When I heard what he did it sounded exactly like the guy in Aurora, Colorado who went into a movie theater and calmly unloaded on people.  But ok, fine, I'm repugnant.  Sorry.

It was a reflexive assumption based on what previous mass shooters had done. Not a defense of white people. Typical mass shooters in that 21-26 age group, almost exclusively white males, tend to target civillians in public places. When I heard what he did it sounded exactly like the guy in Aurora, Colorado who went into a movie theater and calmly unloaded on people. But ok, fine, I'm repugnant. Sorry.

So rather than willful obtuseness it's a judicious refusal to rush to judgment. Wow, what a totally novel rationalization.

So rather than willful obtuseness it's a judicious refusal to rush to judgment. Wow, what a totally novel rationalization.

Nothing judicious about it.  I made a quick assumption.  It was wrong.  Am I automatically a racist because of it?  Do we have to get into this?

Archived