5 worst NFL draft classes by team of last 10 years ~ ~ ~

kelly

I get that the picks from 2010 weren't so great, but I'm pretty sure that out of that draft we used picks in trades for Favre, Lito Shepherd, Holmes and Braylon.  It's not like all we got was John Conner.  The lack of production from the 2009-2010 drafts has been a big problem for the franchise, but at least all seven guys Tannenbaum selected are still in the league. 

We complain all the time how we never have decent options at QB.  Then when we pass on a guy who is more than just a "decent option", I.E. someone we can build around, we say he wasn't that good in the first place.  Kind of the thing we do here.

Typical SOJF post by a SOJF poster.

Yeah, Sapp, another player half the league passed on but we're singled out for passing on a moron who decided to get high right before his drug test. No red flags there.

Yeah dude, it would have totally sucked to have Warren Sapp or Dan Marino on this team for doing a harmless drug! We were so much better off with Kyle Brady and Ken O'Brien!!!

the 2014 draft class hasn't held the franchise hostage yet, while the 2010 draft class is the epitome of doing just that

LOL give me a break. The 2010 class was one of the smallest on record for the Jets. How could it alone possibly hold the Jets hostage? 

Interesting thing about Tannenbaum is that one of the things he was maligned for was not drafting late round offensive line depth.  He whiffed on Ducasse, but his later round picks weren't so bad.  Bender and Griffin didn't make it out of their first seasons, but Slauson and Nate Garner have had very nice careers for where they were picked.  This is where not having enough picks was the problem more than talent evaluation.

LOL give me a break. The 2010 class was one of the smallest on record for the Jets. How could it alone possibly hold the Jets hostage? 

Yet you ignore the reasons why we had so few picks.  Surrendering a 3rd rounder in the Braylon Edwards wasn't a terrible deal.  But giving away a pick for the lowly Lito Sheppard, then moving up with the pick we got for Kerry Rhodes to get a bum like Joe McKnight?  Awful decisions on top of us taking a project lineman in Ducasse and letting Rex pick Connor.

Tannenbaum not only used many of his picks poorly over the years, but just as importantly, he traded away a good deal of draft capital for trash.  That's what makes this an exceptionally bad draft that helped lead to our roster being devoid of talent later on.

For the very reason you stated, it was small, the team had to force each pick to work out.... Thus we went a couple years with those players taking roster spots, trying to be "coached up" into starting roles, while the FO did nothing to fix those holes because they needed those players to

2010 was a complete and total whiff.  In a category of it's own for bad drafts.

As for 2014.....I'm confident McDougle is going to be a player.  Amaro and Dozier could be players.  IK and Reilly were good picks for where they were taken.  So the upside of the 2014 class is that nearly half the class could end up being good picks based on their draft slots. 

The downside?  We passed on Bridgewater to take Pryor, which was unforgivable even if Pryor turns into a really good safety, and the other half of the picks have all been cut.  So if anything less than 2-3 of the guys we kept don't work out, it's a complete disaster. 

I know someone already got you on this but here is the thing, Bridgewater had a horrendous pro day. If we drafted a QB in round 1 it was more likely to have been Manziel as at the time he was a better prospect (we dodged a bullet not drafting him) Both Bridgewater and Pryor are unproven young players to this point and its unfair to say that we should have taken one over the other as Bridgewater could easily come in next season and have worse play than Geno and Pryor could just as easy come in and be the beast that Rex and Idzik thought he was going to be. The other part to this is the year before Idzik drafted Geno who had a bumpy start and yes we probably should have been looking for a backup plan but Geno did finish his rookie season off pretty strong just like he did this year so its also viable to believe that Idzik had faith in Geno to be a franchise QB.

Again, it's not just that we passed on Bridgewater.  We passed on several other quality prospects, especially at WR.  To make a luxury pick.  Unless Pryor ends up an elite or close to an elite safety, that's a bad pick.  Period.  Safeties just don't impact the game as much as other spots on the field, and you can't afford to whiff when you take one in the 1st round. 

5. 2013 Miami Dolphins

» Team draft history

» Draft class: DE Dion Jordan (Round 1), CB Jamar Taylor (Round 2), OT Dallas Thomas (Round 3), CB Will Davis (Round 3), LB Jelani Jenkins (Round 4), TE Dion Sims (Round 4), RB Mike Gillislee (Round 5), K Caleb Sturgis (Round 5), SS Don Jones (Round 7)

» Players who were primary starters: 1

» Total games played: 206

The blatant error from this draft for the Dolphins is the selection of Jordan, who is steamrolling toward "all-time draft bust" status. Miami traded up nine spots -- with the Oakland Raiders -- to move into the No. 3 hole to pick Jordan, who entered that year's draft drawing comparisons to Dolphins great Jason Taylor. Instead, Jordan spent much of his first two seasons as a situational pass rusher, and will miss the entire 2015 season after another violation of the league's substance-abuse policy.

Of the eight field players taken in this draft -- a ninth selection was kicker Caleb Sturgis -- only one has been able to see consistent time as a starter: Jelani Jenkins, who made 14 starts at linebacker for the Dolphins in 2014.

This one makes me smile.

he was pick 12.....  I get your point but our pick was so great.  Kyle fukkin Brady.:)

No, o get it. ,anything associated with the Jets, especially the Kotite Jets get emphasized. But he was a top pick who fell a long way because people were scared off by someone who failed a drug test. That was more of an issue back then. Plus I think more were worried about someone who was so stupid to do it, more than what he did and then give him big bucks.

Of course was made worse by taking another TE after Johnny Mitchell. If we took a different player who played well we wouldn't hear a word

Yeah dude, it would have totally sucked to have Warren Sapp or Dan Marino on this team for doing a harmless drug! We were so much better off with Kyle Brady and Ken O'Brien!!!

Of course we would have been better off.

But that wasn't the point.

No, o get it. ,anything associated with the Jets, especially the Kotite Jets get emphasized. But he was a top pick who fell a long way because people were scared off by someone who failed a drug test. That was more of an issue back then. Plus I think more were worried about someone who was so stupid to do it, more than what he did and then give him big bucks.

Of course was made worse by taking another TE after Johnny Mitchell. If we took a different player who played well we wouldn't hear a word

Johnny Mitchell had talent his problem was he's a nut job..

Johnny Mitchell had talent his problem was he's a nut job..

He had tremendous skills and ability. He totally screwed it up being so crazy and immature. Even with the second chance he got with Parcells. Talked a great game, how he changed etc, etc. right up to day he walked out on Parcells during camp and pissing away his last chance

off topic..I moved to NC in 95 and for about 3 years 95-97  I lost touch with details etc as down here we didnt get a lot of NY news.

Thats why , for fans outside NY, boards like this are fantastic.

off topic..I moved to NC in 95 and for about 3 years 95-97  I lost touch with details etc as down here we didnt get a lot of NY news.

Thats why , for fans outside NY, boards like this are fantastic.

The internet made getting info, staying in touch much easier. I rely on it too, especially when I'm in Florida

'06 has always been a favorite of mine. Brad Smith, Kellen Clemens and Eric Smith were also good players found in the later rounds. Mangini was a great talent evaluator. Only bad pick was Anthony Schlegel lol

Eric Smith was not a good player

Archived