PSL Question

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's one way to look at it, here's another:

The Jets did right by fans who were willing to pay modern NFL ticket prices but those who got incredibly lucky from 1983-2008 are the ones complaining and never said 'thank you'.  Everyone likes to talk about the big-bad Jets and the big-bad rich fans, but no one talks about the fact that the Jets had the cheapest top-location seats in the NFL for 25 years.  Fans who were simply born lucky and had access to grandpa's seats on the 50 yard line 10 rows up were paying $50 a seat in 1990 and $100 a seat in 2000.  The same seat in any other modern NFL city were converted to Premium's or Club's and were commanding $300 to $500. 

And instead of those lucky fans repaying the Jets for their 25 years of generosity by picking up a PSL and taking a long-overdue price increase, they bolted.  Bolted twice, in fact.  First they used their seniority to get good upper deck seats in 2009.  Second they bailed out completely in 2012 when the AFC Championship runs stopped and the team got weak.  Selfish, spoiled-rotten, entitled cheapskates who were perfectly fine having the best seats in the house for peanuts, now crying quitters when reality strikes.  And don't get me started on the fans I know who had those seats who would sell 4 games for 2x face value and attend the other 4 games for free.  That gravy train ended, and that's why all the Giants fans quit, and that's why all the scalpers quit.  Things get very simple once fair market value is placed on those seats.  Instead of scalpers and fairweather fans getting rich, the Jets let their best customers have them.  Good Jets fans have those seats now.

PSL owners are heroes.  We were stuck on waitlists for 15 years.  No StubHub or eBay to find seats back then.  Sitting through traffic to try to find a scalper in the parking lot.  Finding shady brokers in the back of Newsday.  When after a decade and-a-half our numbers were called we were rewarded with the worst upper deck endzone seats in the league.  We then opened up our checkbooks.  We committed to the team emotionally and financially for 30 years, good seasons or bad.

Shoe is on the other foot now.  Now the crap seat waitlisters get the good seats and the born-lucky squatters are out.  Complain to us in 25 years when you served the same amount of time in Jets seating purgatory like we did.  Justice.

SAR I

Jets had the lowest top ticket prices for 25 years because they sucked and risked a half empty stadium if they charged more.

Jets did right by fans HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

25 years of generosity more HAHAHAHAHAHA

Lets not even get into how they abandoned NY for the cheap Jersey swamp rent.

What I do know is I got this very day an email solicitation for Jets tickets, which is a weekly occurrence all summer, and a daily one via internet, radio and TV ads in season. Pre-PSL, every ticket was sold, and the Jets had no advertising nor marketing budget at all. I don't have their books in front of me, but would hazard a guess the marketing budget exceeds the PSL income. And to day the Jets understood if belatedly that suing people like me bugging out of PSLs would be a public relations disaster.

We could've afforded to keep paying the PSL, but simply between children playing sports and rebuilding storm-ravaged houses, the Jets made it very easy to prioritize not going, or going to a game or 2 or a road trip. 

What I do know is I got this very day an email solicitation for Jets tickets, which is a weekly occurrence all summer, and a daily one via internet, radio and TV ads in season. Pre-PSL, every ticket was sold, and the Jets had no advertising nor marketing budget at all. I don't have their books in front of me, but would hazard a guess the marketing budget exceeds the PSL income. And to day the Jets understood if belatedly that suing people like me bugging out of PSLs would be a public relations disaster.

We could've afforded to keep paying the PSL, but simply between children playing sports and rebuilding storm-ravaged houses, the Jets made it very easy to prioritize not going, or going to a game or 2 or a road trip. 

Exactly similar situation adding college tuitions season ticket holder for 18 years prior to PSLs my savings grace is a close family friend with great PSL seats that I can go every week or pick and choose.

Owning season tickets isn't a status symbol to me as it is to others. Im still a lifelong diehard fan,

Theres so much more important things in life. 

Jets had the lowest top ticket prices for 25 years because they sucked and risked a half empty stadium if they charged more.

Jets did right by fans HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

25 years of generosity more HAHAHAHAHAHA

Lets not even get into how they abandoned NY for the cheap Jersey swamp rent.

The Jets record didn't matter.  The Jets didn't raise ticket prices for the very good seats to the astronomical levels that other NFL teams were back in the 90s and early 00s.  That was a very generous gesture because waitlisted fans like me would have scooped them up in a heartbeat if they did.

Those lucky fans didn't say 'thank you' when they had 'em cheap so I don't want to hear them crying now that they are priced at fair market value.

SAR I

What we're all missing: you can buy tickets per game and spend as much or as little as you want depending on where you'd like to sit.  You don't need season tickets, you don't need PSL's.  If like me, you came off a decade-plus waitlist to get into Giants' stadium, you probably took the PSL out of fear you'd lose the good seats you waited so long for.  Then the Jets claimed "seats are running out" and even called and emailed to tell you so.  So you bought the PSL so as not to get locked out of seats you'd waited for and hoped to keep for so long.  Only to find the stadium wasn't sold out, there are seats available all over the place, there is no waitlist, and you could have gone to every damn game you wanted to without having to pay for the right to pay for the tickets.  And then bitter happened.

While there are scattered PSL seats available, all of the good ones are taken.  The seats available directly from the Jets aren't good.   The seats available on StubHub from PSL holders who can't attend a few games are the good ones and once the team is elite somewhere down the road they're not going to be plentiful or affordable.

SAR I

And that's the beauty of the PSL process and StubHub.  Without PSL's the Giants fans and scalpers would still own the good seats and control the aftermarket.  Today those seats are in the hands of loyal and grateful Jets fans who actually attend the majority of the games and sell the rest at a reasonable price for other Jets fans to enjoy.

Remember, there are only 14,000 people who actually wrote PSL checks to the Jets.  At an average of 3 seats per fan, that's what the math says.  Upper deck has no PSL, Club seats are for small businesses.  The population of the NY Metro area is 24,000,000 people.  14,000 is an incredibly small number, especially when there are, say, 5 million Jets fans or, if you like, 3 million just within a 30 mile radius of the stadium.  It's a small group of fans who could afford the minimal uptick for the PSL fees.  If a person here or there bought in over their heads, that sucks, but PSL's aren't a hardship for the rest, it's right around $15 a game on a $200 expenditure with food, parking, etc.

It's a lot of talk about nothing. 

SAR I

The Jets record didn't matter.  The Jets didn't raise ticket prices for the very good seats to the astronomical levels that other NFL teams were back in the 90s and early 00s.  That was a very generous gesture because waitlisted fans like me would have scooped them up in a heartbeat if they did.

Those lucky fans didn't say 'thank you' when they had 'em cheap so I don't want to hear them crying now that they are priced at fair market value.

SAR I

These PSL threads sucked on JI, and now suck here.

It's hard when myths fall.  It's fun to live in an imaginary world where millions of Jets fans are angry about the evil PSL's and 82,500 people are slaves to Big Brother.  But when someone actually points out the truth and it's a truth that no one wants to hear, the tears fall and the anger comes out.

"The Jets are greedy!"  Nope.  Finally seats are priced by location at fair market value.

"PSL owners were duped!"  Nope.  We realize it was merely a mechanism to give the stadium an enema and get us into the good seats that others blocked us out of.

"You were lied to!"  Nope.  We're smart enough to know what the deal was.

"Millions of Jets fans are outraged!"  Nope.  There are only 14,000 people that wrote PSL checks.

"What a waste of money!"  Nope.  No PSL owner remembers or cares about writing checks to the Jets in 2008 that were around the same size as a decent family vacation.  It was 8 years ago.  That money has long been accounted for.

"We are smart for giving up our season tickets and staying home with our HDTV's!"  Nope.  That's just code for quitting on the team when the playoff runs stopped and PSL's became a very convenient excuse.

"We are loyal fans....you rich people don't make enough noise!"  Nope.  You're quitters who after decades of getting cheap seats refused to pay a PSL like the rest of us.  And if you don't like the noise levels, well, it's your voices that are missing.  You're the problem.

The reason is same. SAR I

Someone has to speak the truth.  Sorry if it gives you an Occupy Wall Street buzzkill.  Don't worry about how 14,000 rich people spend their fun money.  Just watch the games in the StubHub seats we provide you and show some appreciation.

SAR I

Exactly similar situation adding college tuitions season ticket holder for 18 years prior to PSLs my savings grace is a close family friend with great PSL seats that I can go every week or pick and choose.

Owning season tickets isn't a status symbol to me as it is to others. Im still a lifelong diehard fan,

Theres so much more important things in life. 

Definitely higher priorities out there than paying a lot of money to watch live something that can be watched for free each week.

No one said attending live professional sports is a common-man's birthright.  It's always been a luxury item for a man of means.  Most people complaining about PSL's were never season ticket holders and don't have a clue what they're talking about anyway, they're just part of a generation that feels entitled to everything and wants to make a bad guy out of people who didn't bat an eyelash at the PSL prices back then and have long since paid them off.  To most, PSL's are an afterthought, some money that was spent in 2008 that they're not missing here in 2015.

SAR I

How many jobs do you guys think SAR created last fiscal year

I don't know, but my inability to attend a few games each year and generosity of selling them at fair market value on StubHub for any Jets fan to enjoy created dozens of good family memories for them so there's that.

SAR I

SAR I

Sar,  I read and enjoy your posts and always find them direct and thought provoking. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy the acerbic tone you employ.

However, If you think the NYJ ever did anything regarding ticket prices out of generosity to fans well.............I want to describe it as naive but I know you anything but.

Sar,  I read and enjoy your posts and always find them direct and thought provoking. It's not for everyone, but I enjoy the acerbic tone you employ.

However, If you think the NYJ ever did anything regarding ticket prices out of generosity to fans well.............I want to describe it as naive but I know you anything but.

Thank you for the kind words.

No, I don't think the Jets deliberately did the fans a solid....BUT....whether through ignorance or strategy, the Jets ticket prices for the best seats in the house from 1983-2008 were the lowest in the NFL and the fans who were lucky enough to occupy them were sitting on a gold mine.  Seats they were paying $90 for could command $350 on the aftermarket and thus there was no reason for them to give them up to waitlisted Jets fans-  instead, they were sold off to scalpers.

So when I say that those fans should say 'thank you' I mean they should count their blessings, realize their good fortune, and be grateful for those decades of the gravy train.  And now that it's someone else's turn, be quiet about whatever heartache they are experiencing-  talk to me in 25 years when we're even.

SAR I

Thank you for the kind words.

No, I don't think the Jets deliberately did the fans a solid....BUT....whether through ignorance or strategy, the Jets ticket prices for the best seats in the house from 1983-2008 were the lowest in the NFL and the fans who were lucky enough to occupy them were sitting on a gold mine.  Seats they were paying $90 for could command $350 on the aftermarket and thus there was no reason for them to give them up to waitlisted Jets fans-  instead, they were sold off to scalpers.

So when I say that those fans should say 'thank you' I mean they should count their blessings, realize their good fortune, and be grateful for those decades of the gravy train.  And now that it's someone else's turn, be quiet about whatever heartache they are experiencing-  talk to me in 25 years when we're even.

SAR I

What job did you "become a man of means" from?  If I had to guess I would say you were you a salesman.  Am I correct?

used some of  my reward points from my psls to get on the field at the tunnel for a few games including the opener-my nephew will love being down there on the field as the players run by

that is not something I was able to do in my non psl seats

While there are scattered PSL seats available, all of the good ones are taken.  The seats available directly from the Jets aren't good.   The seats available on StubHub from PSL holders who can't attend a few games are the good ones and once the team is elite somewhere down the road they're not going to be plentiful or affordable.

SAR I

Disagree people always have family obligations or reasons that they cant attend a game.  

Tickets will always be available for a venue with as many seats as this one. 

I say definitely. Especially if it was built in Manhattan like Woody dreamed. Easy access by train from 5 boros plus New Jersey. 

You left out Nassau and Suffolk county where the bulk of the original fanbase came from.

BTW, If James Dolan and that crooked POS Sheldon Silver hadnt blocked it the west side stadium would have created another wait list for tix.

I say definitely. Especially if it was built in Manhattan like Woody dreamed. Easy access by train from 5 boros plus New Jersey.

Is getting a stadium in NY still possibly in a couple years/decades? I hate our stadium.

Is getting a stadium in NY still possibly in a couple years/decades? I hate our stadium.

I would say Metlife has a 25 year life. Originally they said like 30, but I have a feeling a lot of stadiums will be redone in about 15-20 years with crazy new stuff and the pressure will be on to capitalize on all that with a new stadium. There will be a war with current psl holders when they actually realize they will need to rebuy. The PSL doesn't guarantee any fixed amount of time, only that they are valid for the length of time Metlife is there, however long that is.

Disagree people always have family obligations or reasons that they cant attend a game.  

Tickets will always be available for a venue with as many seats as this one. 

Yes, but if we become an elite team again and are playing very meaningful games in December, there will be very few for sale in the aftermarket.

Benefit of being a season ticket holder is of course it's you call whether you go or not.  Win and in to win a division or a home playoff game?  Tickets will be few and far between.

SAR I

Would we have sold all season tickets if we had a stadium in NY?

Nope.

A Manhattan Stadium would be more difficult for the NJ fanbase to get to, the lack of parking would upset the tailgaters, the traffic would annoy everyone, a dome loses your homefield advantage.

It's a great thing that never happened.

SAR I

I would say Metlife has a 25 year life. Originally they said like 30, but I have a feeling a lot of stadiums will be redone in about 15-20 years with crazy new stuff and the pressure will be on to capitalize on all that with a new stadium. There will be a war with current psl holders when they actually realize they will need to rebuy. The PSL doesn't guarantee any fixed amount of time, only that they are valid for the length of time Metlife is there, however long that is.

There are only 14,000 PSL subscribers and we weren't upset in 2008 and we won't be upset in 2028 either.

SAR I

Archived