The weak link in the Jets defense/ Fast or Slow

Tinstar

The Jets have what on paper might be considered either the best or one of the top 3 defensive lines in the NFL. It has proven to be difficult to run against, and has been a terror when rushing the passer. To compliment this impressive unit, the team has rebuilt in the last off season, it's entire secondary in an effort to give that front line the extra millisecond it needs to get to the QB.3 CBs were added who are either the top players at their positions, or have the reputation of being elite.  A ball hawking free safety was added which would allow former 1st rounder Calvin Pryor to return to his natural SS position in an effort to further strengthen the secondary.

That leaves the linebackers who presently represent the "weak Link". Comprised of a mixture of Inexperience youngsters and aging Experience Veterans, this unit is expected to bridge the gap between the staunch Defensive line and the revamped secondary. The youngsters bring with them speed while making mistakes due to their lack of experience. The Vets bring experience while making mistakes due to their lack of foot speed.

The Youngsters Outside ;

Lorenzo Mauldin

Deon Barnes

Julian Howsare

The Vets Outside:

Quintin Coples

Calvin Pace

Jason Babin

The Youngsters inside;

Taiwan Jones

The Vets inside;

David Harris

Demario Davis

Erin Henderson

Joe Mays

Since we're starting off fresh with everything new, I think it would be in the best interest of this miserable franchise to make their mistakes going 100 miles per, instead of the standard 15 miles per. Cut the slow old guys and play the kids. Taiwan Jones and Howsare both offer the ability to back up inside or outside . All both men have to do to improve their position on the team is excel on special teams and it should be impossible to cut them.   What good is knowing where to be, if you can't get there fast enough to make a play ?

PLAY THE KIDS COACH.

The fastest LBs are Davis, Babin, Coples, IK, and Henderson.

Demario only plays slow because of indecision, and so would all the youngsters you've mentioned.

I would like to see Harris be spelled by Henderson if he really has his affairs in order.

I would like to see Pace supplanted by Darth Mauldin. We need someone to set the edge, but Pace offers little to the pass rush.

I would like for IK to continue to impress, and beat out Babin, and I'd like to see one of them on the field with Coples on passing downs.

Babin, and Coples only saw the field together a handful of times last year, and had outstanding results.

Sit the edge setters on third and long please.

With 3 good man corners we will be able to keep the safeties closer to the line of scrimmage allowing the MLBs to also play closer to the line.

This will take away the intermediate passes, and also limit the room backs have to run on screens, and swings.

Coples will have a breakout season in his contract year. All those pressures he had last year will become sacks. I predict 16 plus for him.

Houswares will probably be on the practice squad, but he has a chance to be something special on the edge.

I read in an article, which seemed on spot, that Harris is mainly exposed in pass coverage when the secondary is not so strong. Now that they are a fairly strong CB/S coverage unit he should be less exposed when Jets have him on the filed in those cases. But, when we know it's a passing down he probably won't be on the field.

But we can speculate.  If Antonio Allen turns into that LB/S hybrid we want, I have to think that cuts into Harris' snaps.  Someone has to have reduced snaps in order to make room for Harris in passing situations, if we choose to leave him in. 

Bowles only played Buchannan at LB because of injuries. I don't think we'll be using a hybrid here, especially with our line. We just don't need any more run defense than the line, plus Mauldin/Pace, Harris/Davis/Harrison, and Pryor. Skrine will be on the field more often than not. The slot will rotate between Skrine, and Gilchrist depending on the size of the slot receiver. The honey badger will be the one not covering the slot, and the outside will be solo m2m.

I predict AA will be playing in Buffalo this year.

Rex liked using Harris 1x1 in man coverage, and considering his gimmicky overload blitez rarely worked anymore it meant Harris was covering for a loooong time.  Put Harris in zone and let him anticipate the play coming to him rather than trying to chase it down all the time and maybe he's not nearly as bad in pass covg as you think.  Ray Lewis rarely chased behind receivers across the middle.  He was usually there waiting for you to make the catch so he could take your head off or defend the pass from the front side. 

Rex liked using Harris 1x1 in man coverage, and considering his gimmicky overload blitez rarely worked anymore it meant Harris was covering for a loooong time.  Put Harris in zone and let him anticipate the play coming to him rather than trying to chase it down all the time and maybe he's not nearly as bad in pass covg as you think.  Ray Lewis rarely chased behind receivers across the middle.  He was usually there waiting for you to make the catch so he could take your head off or defend the pass from the front side. 

I disagree strongly with the first sentence.

I disagree strongly with the first sentence.

You're entitled to be wrong lol.  I'm just kidding bro! 

I think to be fair how many times was the target Harris was covering given at least 4 seconds?  My uneducated thumb in the air test thinks quite a bit.  I think Harris will be much better in zone covg schemes than man to man.

Pass defense up the middle has and always will be a weakness with Harris

the last time  we had revis and cro, teams spread the jets out with 4 and 5 WR's, or went with a pro-set and threw to the TE

the jets secondary is so deep I don't think using 4 and 5 WR's will really work, but the jets LB's still can't cover TE's.  

But we can speculate.  If Antonio Allen turns into that LB/S hybrid we want, I have to think that cuts into Harris' snaps.  Someone has to have reduced snaps in order to make room for Harris in passing situations, if we choose to leave him in

How on Earth do you expect a DC to pull our most experienced defensive play caller and highest producer of tackles off the field because its a passing down?  Harris had six sacks last year by the way, on passing downs.  And led the team with 124 tackles.  And is never hurt.  He's a strength in our defense, not a weakness.  His best attributes are blitzing and stopping the run, being smart and instinctive, durable, and being able to diagnose and lead the D pre-snap.  Man coverage is not his strength, but he is not awful at it either.  It's just not his best attribute.  He got paid for a reason, and if he didn't get it here, he was going to get it elsewhere, most likely from his former coach who's now in buffalo.  That says something about his value. 

Only Jet fans turn sh*t players into martyers, like Simms, Ratliffe and Clowney, and then completely undervalue the good players we have like Harris.

No player "makes" every single play. He's more better than worse for this team. He's not the problem area, but casual fans understand how to make "slow" an indictment that will stick, in spite of the fact that the guy generally makes the team better.

I love the idea that there actually are LBs who thrive in pass coverage. Ignoring that every OC & QBs Dream is to get a WR in single coverage with a LB. but here it's a knock on every LB some want to undervalue. Harris isn't good in coverage, Pace isn't good in coverage, Coples isn't good in coverage. It doesn't occur to anyone that LBs aren't good in coverage?

David Harris is quality and without him there would be a black hole of desperation in the middle of our defense.

He was about to be a hot commodity in free agency until we re-signed him because he has been consistently very good for years. Clearly the men whose job it is to watch tape and do this for a living think very highly of his contributions to the defense.

True.  These are the TE's we face this year:

Gary Barnidge/Rob Housler (CLE)

Coby Fleener/Dwayne Allen

Brent Celek/Zach Ertz

Jordan Cameron

Jordan Reed

Gronk

Mychal Rivera

Julius Thomas

Charles Clay

Garrett Graham/CJ Fiedorowicz

Jordan Cameron

Larry Donnell

Delanie Walker

Witten

Gronk

Clay

Several dogs on that list.  Guess we'll just see.  It's June, and I'm bored, so I thought it was worth discussing.

Some of the best TEs in the league there, Gronk twice, Thomas, Witten, Cameron twice, Clay (I wanted us to sign him) twice, Celek/Ertz is a nice combo, Walker is very good, Donnell is an up & comer.

This group we play this year pretty damn good for the most part.

DL has been a terror rushing the passer!?! Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were #6 in sacks (Only 8 from #1) but I have to agree with you. Jets pass rush stinks.

If they were #6 in sacks last season with a secondary that a toddler could have thrown touchdowns against what does that tell you. Last season the opposing QB didn't have to wait long to find an open guy and could get the ball off quickly for big plays. I would expect this season with the secondary we have that there will be a lot more sacks and a lot more picks simply because the QB will have to wait longer to find open guys and if he waits longer he gets sacked or he will be forced to throw the ball quick due to pressure from the defensive line and when they don't have time to think they make bad decisions and we get interceptions.

If they were #6 in sacks last season with a secondary that a toddler could have thrown touchdowns against what does that tell you. Last season the opposing QB didn't have to wait long to find an open guy and could get the ball off quickly for big plays. I would expect this season with the secondary we have that there will be a lot more sacks and a lot more picks simply because the QB will have to wait longer to find open guys and if he waits longer he gets sacked or he will be forced to throw the ball quick due to pressure from the defensive line and when they don't have time to think they make bad decisions and we get interceptions.

We gave up the 3rd most passing TDs. Our pass rush was sh*t.

Yes, it's mostly to do with having street corners, it's hard to get to the Q.B when the other teams receivers are open all the time. Watch the Jets kick ass with our much improved secondary.

I also think Antonio Allen will play a lot of that hybrid LB/S Bowles likes so much.

Some of the best TEs in the league there, Gronk twice, Thomas, Witten, Cameron twice, Clay (I wanted us to sign him) twice, Celek/Ertz is a nice combo, Walker is very good, Donnell is an up & comer.

This group we play this year pretty damn good for the most part.

I'd like to see Cro get matched up with Gronk.

....we had NO secondary. the opposing QBs could close their eyes and throw touchdowns. They didn't need time to find open receivers and thus our pass rushers were given little time to get to the qb...its really a simple concept.

A situational run stuffer that plays over 99% of the snaps?  I know everybody started thinking of Harris as a 2 down player, but he only missed about 6 snaps on D last year.  He was top 50 in defensive snaps played in the NFL.  They could reduce his role significantly and he'd still be on the field a ton. 

Oh and BTW, at the combine Harris 4.62, Taiwan Jones 4.95.  That is not the way to get faster at the LB position.

This article had me hoping that Jones was going to be our next ILB wunderkind but since he's that slow perhaps not.  I guess that explains why he wasn't drafted.  http://thejetpress.com/2015/06/20/new-york-jets-taiwan-jones/

.......At 6’3″ and 245 pounds, Jones was known as a tackling machine at Michigan State. In his collegiate career, Jones contributed 183 tackles, 5.5 sacks and an interception. Considering the Jets want to start getting younger at linebacker, Jones is easily standing out to ensure he is in the conversation of making the final 53-man roster..........

No, our defense had the opposite problem of our offense. Their QBs were able to get rid of the football to the open man quickly, neutralizing the pass rush at times; while our QB held the football way too long, making our pass protection look worse than it was.

Jets will be able to get after the QB with four men pretty consistently this year with competent CB play. And we know with Revis, the Jets are doing a little better than competent back there. But Bowles will blitz anyway, 'cause that's what he likes to do. Pass rush is going to significantly improved this year, and it'll be 90% the result of better secondary play.

But we can speculate.  If Antonio Allen turns into that LB/S hybrid we want, I have to think that cuts into Harris' snaps.  Someone has to have reduced snaps in order to make room for Harris in passing situations, if we choose to leave him in.

It's cute the way you turn things you want to happen into things you think will happen. Lol.

This article had me hoping that Jones was going to be our next ILB wunderkind but since he's that slow perhaps not.  I guess that explains why he wasn't drafted.  http://thejetpress.com/2015/06/20/new-york-jets-taiwan-jones/

.......At 6’3″ and 245 pounds, Jones was known as a tackling machine at Michigan State. In his collegiate career, Jones contributed 183 tackles, 5.5 sacks and an interception. Considering the Jets want to start getting younger at linebacker, Jones is easily standing out to ensure he is in the conversation of making the final 53-man roster..........

Let's hope we get lucky & we found a FOOTBALL PLAYER. Jerry Rice didn't wow them with his 40 time either. With great instincts those fractions of seconds mean nothing. I remember years back I wanted us to take Zac Thomas in the 3rd round. In college all he did was make plays but in the pros he would have been considered small & too short.

Well you know how that turned out & I don't remember who we took but I don't think it was anyone who stayed on the roster long.

Yes, it's mostly to do with having street corners, it's hard to get to the Q.B when the other teams receivers are open all the time. Watch the Jets kick ass with our much improved secondary.

I also think Antonio Allen will play a lot of that hybrid LB/S Bowles likes so much.

You do know the Jets finished with 30 sacks in 2012, 41 sacks in 2013, and 45 sacks in 2014. Right there that tells you who they had at Cb , had no effect on their pass rush whatsoever.

Jmo The Jets have been really hard to run against( get a lot of teams in third and longs). The better the cb they seem to have, the less sacks they had. why? They get off the field on third downs, and don't have as many oppurtunities to get to the Qb ,than when teams are able to extend drives(poor cb's- on third down).

The Jets have great run defenders on the defensive line , but don't really have the fast twitch pass rushers that the great defenses have. Haven't had an Olb that could get to the Qb consistently.

To be fair, I think he is faster than Vontaze Burfict.  It does mean that he won't be speeding up the D if he replaces Harris. Younger does not automatically = faster.

Archived