No Gun Charge For Goodson: Looks To Return To NFL

kelticwizard

The driver of the car pleaded guilty to possession of the gun, said he had to own up to what he did to start changing. 

Denville gun charge to be dropped against ex-Jet Goodson

635543738856900263-PeggyTwitter.jpg Peggy Wright, @PeggyWrightDR 1:43 p.m. EDT May 20, 2015

B9317419146Z.1_20150520130832_000_G1FARG

(Photo: Daily Record file photo)

A weapons charge is slated to be dismissed against ex-New York Jets running back Mike Goodson after his friend Wednesday took full responsibility for ownership of a loaded handgun found in a vehicle they occupied in Denville in 2013.

Both Goodson, 27, of Spring, Texas, and co-defendant Garant Evans, 33, of Roselle, were facing a trial on a second-degree charge of unlawful possession of a weapon -- a .45-caliber Taurus -- on May 17, 2013 on Route 80 in Denville.

Evans, who has a prior drug-related conviction, took full responsibility for the handgun in pleading guilty before state Superior Court Judge James DeMarzo in Morristown. Evans told the judge he was in a vehicle with Goodson that was stopped on Route 80 in Denville. An investigating state trooper found the gun in a locked glove compartment and Evans acknowledged at that time the gun was his, though he later tried unsuccessfully to get the statements suppressed.

In court Wednesday, Evans told the judge that Goodson was not aware of the presence of the weapon he placed in the glove compartment while they were out together for the night. Goodson also was in court Wednesday and after Evans' plea, Morris County Assistant Prosecutor Peter Foy said the state will dismiss the criminal charge against Goodson as of Aug. 10 if the sentencing of Evans on Aug. 7 goes smoothly.

The state also expects in August to remand a minor drug paraphernalia charge against Goodson to Denville Municipal Court for resolution.

Foy has recommended that Evans be sentenced to five years in prison, with three years to be served before parole consideration. Evans' wife is a cousin of Goodson, and Evans is the father of three children, ages 7, 2 and five months.

Goodson was elated as he left the courtroom and said that with the expectation of the criminal charge being dismissed he will contact his agent about connecting him again with the NFL.

"It's like the world is off my shoulders. It took my whole life to build my reputation and one thing brought it down. I'm going to call my agent and have him look for teams. I've been working out and feel great," Goodson said.

Evans said after his plea that he pleaded guilty because "this is my time for growth."

"Life is a lesson and you're doomed to repeat your mistakes in life if you don't change. I've been in all sorts of dramas and this is my time for growth. I had to own up to what I did," he said.

Goodson was released in June 2014 from the Jets after he failed to appear at a mandatory football mini-camp. He was charged with the handgun possession in 2013, two months after he signed a three-year $6.9 million deal. He was suspended for the first four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy and then in September 2013 he tore the ACL and MCL in his left knee during a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

According to police reports and Evans' statement in court, Evans was the driver of a rented Chevrolet Yukon and Goodson the passenger on May 17, 2013, when the vehicle stopped in the left center lane of Route 80 around 3 a.m. A tow truck driver called police to say that both men appeared intoxicated and the vehicle wasn't moving from the middle of the interstate.

A trooper stated in an arrest affidavit that he smelled alcohol and burnt marijuana emanating from the vehicle and Goodson was "incoherent, slobbering."

All these mooks throw on a pair of non-prescription glasses when saddling up to the judge.  Surprised he didn't go with the sweater vest and bow tie.  Good lawyer, to be sure.  Conviction or not, Goodson is a mess.

Given the lack of talent on our RB corps I would like to see a training camp invite.

What lack of talent? It's the same talent pool as last year minus CJ2K, who did absolutely nothing and was garbage while he was here. Even with his presence in the roster, the Jets running game wasn't bad at all.

What lack of talent? It's the same talent pool as last year minus CJ2K, who did absolutely nothing and was garbage while he was here. Even with his presence in the roster, the Jets running game wasn't bad at all.

I agree with everything you said, except CJ was not "did absolutely nothing and was garbage". He averaged 4.3 behind an OL Ivory averaged 4.1. None of those are garbage numbers.  4+ average is decent at worst. CJ was good for us but his off the field issue this year didn't help him besides his loud mouth. Atleast CJ was decent. Colon on the other hand...

So what if the gun charge was dropped?  IIRC, Goodson was found in the passenger seat, intoxicated and unconscious covered in his own vomit.  The car was dead stopped in the center lane of Route 80 in Denville in the middle of the night with the lights off.  I guess the driver (who owned the gun) thought it was a good time and place for a little cat nap.  

Yep... I'm sure Mac and Bowles really want this idiot on the team.

Once you get past Ivory and Powell what have you got. All i am saying is it makes sense to invite him to training camp and see what he has got left.

Once you get past Ivory and Powell what have you got. All i am saying is it makes sense to invite him to training camp and see what he has got left.

Once you get past Leonard, Mo, Sheldon and Snacks, we are weak at the DL.

What an effing douchebag.

P.S: Put me on ignore you effing motherphucker.

So, here is the deal:

1. JetsFanInDenver you were just banned 30 days for this post. Totally unacceptable.

2. I deleted all the other crap that went on in this thread. To everyone involved, all of that stuff is totally unacceptable as well.

3. Everyone here has a few choices:

• Get along with each other
  • Use the ignore feature if you can't get along
  • Find yourself being asked to leave. And by being asked to leave, we aren't actually going to ask

This thread is now open. Minus the personal attacks.

No way I'm criticizing our draft but I'd have thought it would make sense to look for a Goodson type back in the later rounds.  I'm not a big college watcher but a guy like the Saints took in Round 7 (Marcus Murphy) who can return punts/kickoffs + catch out of the backfield would seem more interesting to me than a project like Deon Simon who I guess potentially is a replacement for Snacks...

No way I'm criticizing our draft but I'd have thought it would make sense to look for a Goodson type back in the later rounds.  I'm not a big college watcher but a guy like the Saints took in Round 7 (Marcus Murphy) who can return punts/kickoffs + catch out of the backfield would seem more interesting to me than a project like Deon Simon who I guess potentially is a replacement for Snacks...

The guy I liked was signed by the Giants as an UDFA.  Akeem Hunt from Purdue.  Sure he's a fidget, but he should be able to handle return duties too.

NT's are much harder to find than RB's, so I have no issue with burning a 7th rounder on Simon then going after RB's in the UDFA period.  RB's are mostly plug 'n' play and can be found outside of the draft.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Simon comes from the same conference that Crusher's kid is headed, playing the same position.  Maybe in a few years we'll be replacing Simon with Baby Crusher.  :)

NT's are much harder to find than RB's, so I have no issue with burning a 7th rounder on Simon then going after RB's in the UDFA period.  RB's are mostly plug 'n' play and can be found outside of the draft.

On a somewhat unrelated note, Simon comes from the same conference that Crusher's kid is headed, playing the same position.  Maybe in a few years we'll be replacing Simon with Baby Crusher.  :)

...but they didn't go after any RB's in the UDFA period.  They traded a 7th for Zac Stacy who is very far from the kind of back most of us were expecting.  Most people wanted a 3rd down receiving back - a Bruce Harper/Megget type.  A poor man's Reggie Bush.  I was hoping for a tweener WR/RB like Harvin or Austin.  That is what I thought Hunt might (Yes, I know he is small, wouldn't be able to get off a jam when split and goes down too easy.  That's why he was an UDFA) be able to do.

Archived