IPB4 & the new Server

I do echo the attempt to imitate facebook. Please don't lose the heart of the functionality that we have now.

We would never take a step back functionality wise. We take this stuff pretty seriously. When Scout wanted to make an offer we said no thanks because of functionality. Well also because of other things, but functionality was at the top of the list. :)

It would be cool if the ignore feature was enhanced so you couldnt see the people you have on ignore when their posts are quoted. 

I am not sure if that was an option. But I agree that would be a great feature. I will look into it.

I belong to several other forums going in this direction and while its nice that forum owners want to try to combat Facebook and Twitter by adding imitation Facebook and Twitter into their forums, they sometimes do this at the expense of the base forum experience and that's a bad thing.  So, have at it, but please don't choose a template and a feature set that compromises the core functionality that we've all grown accustomed to since 1994. 

As an example, one refreshed forum I belong to decided that no one needed a "back" button to respond to a series of posts in the same thread.  You know, respond to the first post, hit 'back', takes you to the next post, respond to that, etc.  Instead, the back button takes you to the root of the forum, makes you navigate your way back into Page 5 or wherever you were.  Another refreshed forum decided to alert us every time someone posted something new in a thread we posted in as well as the responses to our exact posts, sometimes I had 30 alerts an hour after posting something benign.  Another forum decided that even though having two different font sizes for mobile and desktop is best for each platform, it was best for spiders if they used one consistent font for both and that made reading each a bad compromise.  Oh, but we're generating more clicks and that's supposed to mean better rankings and better revenue.  It doesn't.  It just frustrates.

You will find that very few people will use these Facebook and Twitter features.  Sharing photos, writing blogs, all these attempts to generate incremental content aren't what's important in a forum.  We just want to talk Jets without all the distractions of social media.  That's why we do it here and not on Facebook.  Do it incorrectly, make some basic errors to good ol' forum functionality, you can accidentally make things worse, not better.

SAR I

This is a really good post and I assure you we take this stuff seriously here. Very seriously. Like I just posted, when I met with Scout all I asked them about was functionality. The only thing we have committed to is upgrading the server. Basically we are doubling the CPU power, doubling the Ram and going with solid state drives. All those things will make the end use experience better because the site will be faster.

Beyond that, we are setting up a test domain to run a test of the new server. I see that going like this:

1. Test of a blank site with the new software with a group of 50 of so users looking at it and giving thoughts.

2. Get feedback and decide the next steps

I think the new version will be worth moving forward with. They do have some features that could be Facebooky, like the profile pages and friends list. But that stuff isn't in your face, so it is easy to ignore for those that don't want to use it or see it.

But the most important thing is the feedback. We have all seen first-hand how lack of functionality can kill a forum. We won't go down that road....:)

This is a really good post and I assure you we take this stuff seriously here. Very seriously. Like I just posted, when I met with Scout all I asked them about was functionality. The only thing we have committed to is upgrading the server. Basically we are doubling the CPU power, doubling the Ram and going with solid state drives. All those things will make the end use experience better because the site will be faster.

Beyond that, we are setting up a test domain to run a test of the new server. I see that going like this:

1. Test of a blank site with the new software with a group of 50 of so users looking at it and giving thoughts.

I think the new version will be worth moving forward with. They do have some features that could be Facebooky, like the profile pages and friends list. But that stuff isn't in your face, so it is easy to ignore for those that don't want to use it or see it.

But the most important thing is the feedback. We have all seen first-hand how lack of functionality can kill a forum. We won't go down that road.... :)

Good thing functionally doesn't apply to posters otherwise you would be missing quite a few here.. :winking0001:

Thanks for all the upgrades Max. I hope the end product is something good enough. I feel like new season will be a special one and can't wait to spend more time on this board. Also thanks for making this a viable alternative when Sooth chose money and shut down Jets Insider. 

But the most important thing is the feedback. We have all seen first-hand how lack of functionality can kill a forum. We won't go down that road.... :)

None of this stuff on the sidebars please!! Annoying.

05-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Feb 2015

Posts 2,079

Post Thanks / Like collapse_40b.png

Mentioned 3 Post(s)

Tagged 2

Thread(s) vCash 500

vBActivity -

Stats collapse_40b.png Points 3,545

Level 19

vBActivity - Bars collapse_40b.png

Lv. Percent 8.45%

green.png
Daily Activity 29.54%

red.png
Weekly Activity 204.05%

grey.png
Monthly Activity 160.81%

green.png

Cool.  And here's the thing:  You're a forum veteran going back to the 90's as a participant so you'll know what's right and what's wrong from a functional standpoint.

I think the people running some of the other forums I frequent (non-Jets by the way) weren't into the forum thing until much later in life and they don't get a lot of this stuff as you or I surely would.

SAR I

Cool.  And here's the thing:  You're a forum veteran going back to the 90's as a participant so you'll know what's right and what's wrong from a functional standpoint.

I think the people running some of the other forums I frequent (non-Jets by the way) weren't into the forum thing until much later in life and they don't get a lot of this stuff as you or I surely would.

SAR I

Thanks! Oh and you have no choice but to be in our beta testing group. We are getting you to buy in to the new platform or we aren't moving.

No way am I fighting with you about this for the next 3 years lol.

05-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Feb 2015

Posts 2,079

Post Thanks / Like collapse_40b.png

Mentioned 3 Post(s)

Tagged 2

Thread(s) vCash 500

vBActivity -

Stats collapse_40b.png Points 3,545

Level 19

vBActivity - Bars collapse_40b.png

Lv. Percent 8.45%

green.png
Daily Activity 29.54%

red.png
Weekly Activity 204.05%

grey.png
Monthly Activity 160.81%

green.png

I really prefer simple. Maybe that is because my brain is so limited. :)

Thanks! Oh and you have no choice but to be in our beta testing group. We are getting you to buy in to the new platform or we aren't moving.

No way am I fighting with you about this for the next 3 years lol.

Done!

Thanks for including me.

SAR I

• 1 month later...

Now that the server move is over we have installed IPB4 in a test environment. We are testing things out now, so far it looks good. Once we get things setup a little bit more we will be inviting some users in for a sneak peak. This way we can get feedback.

Thanks.

Now that the server move is over we have installed IPB4 in a test environment. We are testing things out now, so far it looks good. Once we get things setup a little bit more we will be inviting some users in for a sneak peak. This way we can get feedback.

Thanks.

You pee before what??  

Thanks.

Can't wait...

Can I be one of the sneak peakers? I will post bons mots and a variety of hot n00dz

For anyone that wants to take a look please go to http://test.JetNation.com

We didn't convert anything yet, so you would have to create an account if you want to test out posting. Please let me know what everyone thinks!

Thanks.

For anyone that wants to take a look please go to http://test.JetNation.com

We didn't convert anything yet, so you would have to create an account if you want to test out posting. Please let me know what everyone thinks!

Thanks.

I know a lot of hard work and time goes into stuff like this but I dont like change I like the current format just my opinion. 

I know a lot of hard work and time goes into stuff like this but I dont like change I like the current format just my opinion. 

I said the same thing over on the new board, but in all honesty there isn't that much change that makes it harder to figure out.  I'm not a techie at all but there were no problems for me.

Check it out very cool

I said the same thing over on the new board, but in all honesty there isn't that much change that makes it harder to figure out.  I'm not a techie at all but there were no problems for me.

Check it out very cool

That is good to hear. It is the same company just their newest release so that makes things easier. The terminology is the same for the most part. Just a more modern look with a lot of benefits. I keep saying it but I love the @ replies.

That is good to hear. It is the same company just their newest release so that makes things easier. The terminology is the same for the most part. Just a more modern look with a lot of benefits. I keep saying it but I love the @ replies.

+100000 on the @ replies. Those are going to be a lot of fun.

Archived