Calvin Pryor Player Profile

JetNation

Calvin Pryor

Name: Calvin Pryor

Position: SS/FS

HT: 5′ 11″ WT: 208

College: Louisville

Acquired: 2014 Draft/1st Round (18th overall)

Twitter: @star_island25

Calvin Pryor grew up and attended high school in Port St. Joe, Florida, a small town with less than 3,500 residents. Being a natural athlete he tried his hand at multiple sports including basketball, baseball, and football. Pryor captained all three of the teams he played on and received numerous recruiting offers as a three star prospect. With all of the offers he received, he decided he would commit to football.

Pryor played college football at Louisville and excelled as an in the box strong safety. During his tenure at Louisville, he earned the nickname “Louisville Slugger” for his bone-crunching hits. Pryor amassed 218 total tackles, 11 tackles for a loss, two sacks, seven interceptions, and nine forced fumbles in his three seasons with Louisville. After setting the team record for forced fumbles his junior year with nine, he was awarded with an All-ACC first team selection.

In the 2014 draft Pryor was selected 18th overall and was drafted higher than any other defensive back out of Louisville. To say that Pryor struggled during his rookie season would be putting it lightly, he led the team in missed tackles with 15. It wasn’t an easy transition from college to the NFL for Pryor; he was forced to play out of position at free safety due to a depleted secondary. Pryor finished his rookie season with 60 total tackles, half of a sack, and two passes defended.

This season will be crucial for Pryor as he will try to shake off a disappointing rookie campaign. It has already been established that he will be moving back to his collegiate position of strong safety. This will provide an opportunity for him to prove his rookie struggles were due to playing out of position, and with a lack of talent in the secondary.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
oZrMV-wh7JM

View the full article

Terrible angles, bad tackling, lousy in coverage... other than that he is fine.

I understand he played out of position. However, that does not excuse a 1st round pick from failing to make a single play... or from showing up to meetings on time.

Terrible angles, bad tackling, lousy in coverage... other than that he is fine.

I understand he played out of position. However, that does not excuse a 1st round pick from failing to make a single play... or from showing up to meetings on time.

He can only get better? Just hoping I guess.

15 Missed Tackles!

Sheesh - hearing that brings back some bad memories from last year. 

The problem with that stat is it sounds more correctable than it is.  It wasn't about simply wrapping up better for Pryor, when he missed it was usually more about feel and natural instincts to pursue and attack at the correct angles.

I know he'll be going forward more but he's really only above average when the ball carrier doesn't see him coming, like on bubble screens, quick passes or in heavy traffic.  There will be more of those opportunities in the box but 15 missed tackles in limited time is pretty terrible.

I remember an early season game where he dropped a simple interception, and it was all down hill from then. He did not create a single play all year, he's more like a fourth rounder.

Another reason I'm glad we have adults now running our team. To avoid 1st round blunders like this guy, he's the Kyle Wilson of Safteys.

They thought he was going to be Troy Polamalu, he's more like Troy McClure.

Holy Crap our fanbase has no mercy lol.  To be fair he played out of position in a sh*tty situation last year.  Its not like he wasn't projected to be a 1st round pick in that draft.  Can we at least give the kid a chance this year maybe

Take a guy who was given the freedom to innovate in the middle, and stick him in deep centerfield with Walls, and Allen at corner, and this is what you get.

So now you take a rookie and tell him to play deep, watch the play develop, then break on the man getting beat, but 3 guys are all getting beat almost every down.

Who was going to teach him? Allen? Landry? Why in the world did they let Reed go?

I swear Idzik was trying to get Rex fired, and he did his job too well.

Pryor's not an in the box safety, and not a centerfielder.

He's likes to hit coming forward, run, and pass, and his biggest strength is sifting through traffic sideline to sideline range.

We'll see what happens now that we have some man corners. We're not going to play much deep center, but have two guys midrange.

I remember an early season game where he dropped a simple interception, and it was all down hill from then. He did not create a single play all year, he's more like a fourth rounder.

Another reason I'm glad we have adults now running our team. To avoid 1st round blunders like this guy, he's the Kyle Wilson of Safteys.

They thought he was going to be Troy Polamalu, he's more like Troy McClure.

Going Safety round 1 was literally the most stupid move Idzik could of done. Not with Brandin Cooks on the board and no other WR on the depth chart even worth mentioning besides Decker.

Going Safety round 1 was literally the most stupid move Idzik could of done. Not with Brandin Cooks on the board and no other WR on the depth chart even worth mentioning besides Decker.

That's our boy.  Really psyched that he's our GM and will be for many years--and successes--to come.  Oh, wait.

That's our boy. Really psyched that he's our GM and will be for many years--and successes--to come. Oh, wait.

I was never a fan of the hire or the way they went about it. So many better options if they didn't try to tag Rex onto the next GM. If Mike messes up I cant argue that I didn't like him . idzik? No.

Holy Crap our fanbase has no mercy lol.  To be fair he played out of position in a sh*tty situation last year.  Its not like he wasn't projected to be a 1st round pick in that draft.  Can we at least give the kid a chance this year maybe

Nobody is suggesting cutting the guy from what I can see.  We are all looking for good things to come this season but I don't see a problem with our fan base happening to notice that our first round pick had a terrible rookie year.

If waiting until after the season is over is too soon to discuss this observation, then what time would not be too soon to discuss it?

15 Missed Tackles!

Sheesh - hearing that brings back some bad memories from last year. 

The problem with that stat is it sounds more correctable than it is.  It wasn't about simply wrapping up better for Pryor, when he missed it was usually more about feel and natural instincts to pursue and attack at the correct angles.

I know he'll be going forward more but he's really only above average when the ball carrier doesn't see him coming, like on bubble screens, quick passes or in heavy traffic.  There will be more of those opportunities in the box but 15 missed tackles in limited time is pretty terrible.

Some of these guys with reputations as "hard-hitters" have some horrible habits coming out of college, where they may have gotten away with some of those projectile shoulder hits where they don't even put their arms around a guy.  The big talent and strength can mislead them into thinking they don't need to learn technique. That is not true in the pros, where virtually everyone is big and fast.  I hope this guy dedicates himself to improving his tackling and I hope Bowles doesn't cut him too much slack.

Holy Crap our fanbase has no mercy lol. To be fair he played out of position in a sh*tty situation last year. Its not like he wasn't projected to be a 1st round pick in that draft. Can we at least give the kid a chance this year maybe

Again... none of this excuses him being late to meetings.

Again, a quality player, even out of position... should find a way to make at least one impact play over the course of an entire season.

I have not ruled him a bust yet, but it feels like best case scenario is average for him. And I will never forgive Idziot for taking this guy ahead of Brandin Cooks who will be a star.

Some of these guys with reputations as "hard-hitters" have some horrible habits coming out of college, where they may have gotten away with some of those projectile shoulder hits where they don't even put their arms around a guy.  The big talent and strength can mislead them into thinking they don't need to learn technique. That is not true in the pros, where virtually everyone is big and fast.  I hope this guy dedicates himself to improving his tackling and I hope Bowles doesn't cut him too much slack.

Yeah when he does something good it looks awesome but he makes so many mistakes and right now the payoff with turnovers and game changing plays haven't happened.   The coaches have a guy with potential but he has a ton of work to do.

To be fair, it's not like they put him at Quarterback. Safeties need to tackle and cover regardless of position. He did neither.

To be fair, it's not like they put him at Quarterback. Safeties need to tackle and cover regardless of position. He did neither.

I've said this a million times...free safety or strong safety is no excuse for whiffing on tackles and he did that an awful lot.  I get that people want to find an excuse/reason to not blame the guy because he's a first rounder and we all want him to pan out, but any defensive player should be able to take an angle and make a tackle no matter where they're standing when the play starts.

To be fair it was one of the deepest WR drafts in NFL history and Brandin Cooks probably wasn't worth a first round pick either seeing as he had maby 2 decent games with Brees throwing to him last season...im sure he would have been a stud if he was on the Jets roster with Geno. The pick we should have made and the one I was expecting during the draft was Dennard. Give Pryor one more year to see what the kid can do, aside from bad coaching last season it was also his first year in the NFL sometimes these kids get overwhelmed and need some time to adjust.

• 4 weeks later...

Idzik set the team back years.

This thread is misleading. Outside of QB, the Jets don't have any question marks. The Jets are as good as any QB in the league that doesn't have an elite QB. Even with average QB play, the Jets are a lock to make the playoffs this year. If they get hot at the right time, they will EASILY contend for the Super Bowl.

53 catches, 550 yards, indoors in NO and then injured missing 6.

Idzik would have gotten killed for that pick too.

Let's see Pryor play where he was drafted to play before calling the move stupid.

53 catches, 550 yards, indoors in NO and then injured missing 6.

Idzik would have gotten killed for that pick too.

Let's see Pryor play where he was drafted to play before calling the move stupid.

53 catches for one player vs. 0 catches from four players.  Something tells me that we would have been a little bit happier with the draft.  It also would have given us an extra $7M and a 4th round pick because we would not have made that useless, knee-jerk, try to save the GM's job trade for Harvin. 

53 catches for one player vs. 0 catches from four players.  Something tells me that we would have been a little bit happier with the draft.  It also would have given us an extra $7M and a 4th round pick because we would not have made that useless, knee-jerk, try to save the GM's job trade for Harvin. 

we still would have had the same craptastic qb play so it still would have been a whiff...

calvin pryor might turn out to be a really good player. who knows at this point. with that being said, I don't know how he earned a 1st round grade. besides a few highlight reel knockout hits, his game is/was not that good. if he was sitiing there in the 2nd, I would have passed on him. safety is not a position to be looking at in the 1st round. if you are, he better be a super star in the making

calvin pryor might turn out to be a really good player. who knows at this point. with that being said, I don't know how he earned a 1st round grade. besides a few highlight reel knockout hits, his game is/was not that good. if he was sitiing there in the 2nd, I would have passed on him. safety is not a position to be looking at in the 1st round. if you are, he better be a super star in the making

I don't agree with the 2nd round business, but I generally agree about safety.  OTOH, the league does not appear to agree with us.  4 safeties were taken in the first in 2014, 3 and the first pick of the second in 2013.  The Packers took a safety this year after taking Ha-Ha in 2014.

I had a conversation with Pryor via Instagram. I told him he needs to play better or else New Yorkers will make sure he hears it, he proceeded by telling me to "suck his ****."

I screenshotted the full conversation and thought about posting it, but in afraid it may bring unwanted drama.

I had a conversation with Pryor via Instagram. I told him he needs to play better or else New Yorkers will make sure he hears it, he proceeded by telling me to "suck his ****."

I screenshotted the full conversation and thought about posting it, but in afraid it may bring unwanted drama.

Hey, maybe Calvin was trying to put the moves on ya.  Yeah, it's an unconventional if not aggressive approach.  But maybe he was offering to take you to dinner and a show before the "suck his ****" portion of the date.  He had no way of knowing you were not gay.  Take it as a compliment to your virility, fashion sense, and overall good looks.

Hey, maybe Calvin was trying to put the moves on ya. Yeah, it's an unconventional if not aggressive approach. But maybe he was offering to take you to dinner and a show before the "suck his ****" portion of the date. He had no way of knowing you were not gay. Take it as a compliment to your virility, fashion sense, and overall good looks.

I thought about it that way and then he proceeded to tell me "say that in person. always the Instagram ppl who wanna talk sh*t behind a keyboard."

I agree with Calvin. lol

I thought about it that way and then he proceeded to tell me "say that in person. always the Instagram ppl who wanna talk sh*t behind a keyboard."

I agree with Calvin. lol

What a douche. Would be great if you were an MMA guy, showed up "in person", and kicked the living sh*t out of Calvin.  lol

Why does that idiot respond, anyway.  It's a no win.

I think you missed the point. It wasn't a choice between WRs. It was a respons to his point that we would have been so much better with Cooks. I'm guessing no one would have been happy with his rookie season. We would have heard about all the great WRs and Idzik took Cooks.

Archived