Skrine’s “Dream Team” Comments may not sit Well With Bowles

JetNation

Bowles

Cornerback Buster Skrine likes what he sees so far.

Buster Skrine has been impressed by Jets defense during offseason workouts.

By Glenn Naughton

In a recent interview with Don Banks of SI.com, newly acquired Jets cornerback Buster Skrine had an interesting take in regards to the Jets defense as the team readies for the 2015 season, and it’s one that may rub head coach Todd Bowles the wrong way.

“I’ve never played on a defense with this much talent. Our front seven has all-stars and then in the back end, we have all-stars. I’ve never seen anything like this. Everybody said the Philadelphia Eagles were going to be like the dream team, but we have chemistry on this defense already, and you can see it out in practice. I mean, we can match up however you want to match up. We can match up with any offense.”

Skrine isn’t saying anything here that many fans and insiders aren’t already thinking, but Bowles, who recently told his team to dial down the rhetoric, is clearly downplaying an offseason spending spree that led to significant upgrades on both offense and defense to temper expectations as he prepares for his first season as a head coach.

Bowles’ approach is the complete opposite of  the boastful Rex Ryan who failed deliver on may of his promises, and there is a segment of the fan base that would rather see Gang Green show what they can do on the field come September, rather than talking about it in June.

Given the additions of Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Skrine, Brandon Marshall, James Carpenter, Marcus Gilchrist and Leonard Williams just to name a few, the Jets have every reason anticipate a much improved team in 2015, but the old Philadelphia Eagles “dream team” that Skrine referenced was in a similar situation while handling the expectations that come along with high-profile additions back in 2011 only to see the team go from 10-6 in 2010, to 8-8 in 2011, before stumbling to 4-12 in 2012.

GM Mike Maccagnan spent big to address his team's offseason needs.

GM Mike Maccagnan spent big to address his team’s offseason needs.

During his introductory press conference to the Philadelphia media during that 2011 offseason, quarterback Vince Young proclaimed that the Eagles’ re-built secondary with cornerbacks Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie along with pass-rusher Jason Babin meant that Philly had essentially assembled a dream team.

With the major focus being on Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie, nobody had a closer look at Philadelphia’s collapse than their 2012 defensive backs coach and interim defensive coordinator, Todd Bowles.  Bowles’ lone season in the City of Brotherly Love was just one year removed from Young’s then-brash statement that is now largely viewed as a punch line.

Having allowed 31 touchdown passes in 2010, and 27 in 2011, Bowles got to witness a catastrophic defense in 2012 when the Eagles surrendered an NFL-worst, 33 touchdowns through the air while intercepting only eight passes.  All of this with Asomugha and Rodgers-Cromartie, previously viewed as the defensive saviors, starting all sixteen games on defense for the Eagles.

So while Skrine is justified in expecting big things from the Jets defense in 2015, would anyone be surprised to find out Bowles wasn’t thrilled with Skrine’s assessment based on past experience?  With Rex Ryan and his coaching staff now operating out of western New York, it’s likely that Jets fans and Bowles would much prefer his players live by the old saying and simply “walk softly and carry a big stick”.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
NKdHEy1dmdM

View the full article

Nothing wrong with what he said.  He's right.  This team is built to be a nightmare for offenses when it comes to different looks.  And he directly referenced what he's seen out of the team in practice, unlike with Vince Young, whose comments came at his introductory press conference with the Eagles.  Not to mention he was a backup QB talking about how good the DEFENSE would be. 

It's possible many are extrapolating Bowles' reserved manner to assume he is a guy who doesn't want his players to be themselves. He won't be adding fuel to the fire with his own mouth but Jets aren't going to become a fortress of solitude either. Like most things in life, almost everything is ok in moderation.

It's possible many are extrapolating Bowles' reserved manner to assume he is a guy who doesn't want his players to be themselves. He won't be adding fuel to the fire with his own mouth but Jets aren't going to become a fortress of solitude either. Like most things in life, almost everything is ok in moderation.

Thank you!!

Fans just want another thing to complain about ☺️

Haha - I was wondering why Willie Colon didnt go here when he called this team a Porsche. 

Dream Team. lol

In fairness, Skrine didn't say the Jets were a "dream team" but he did insinuate that by comparing them to a team that was "supposed to be a dream team".

I get your point though, and and this point they're more of a dream defense.

Do you wear long sleeves and gloves in ninety degree weather?

OMG I totally read your post wrong, and didn't realize Skrine has #41 that's blasphemous.  I understood your post as if you meant phone number, as in my phone number.  I'm ******* Polish just carry on. 

In fairness, Skrine didn't say the Jets were a "dream team" but he did insinuate that by comparing them to a team that was "supposed to be a dream team".

I get your point though, and and this point they're more of a dream defense.

Lots of talking out of a team who doesnt have a QB, a new HC, installing a new offense with a Coordinator who's been out of the game for 2 years...what could possibly go wrong? 

Lots of talking out of a team who doesnt have a QB, a new HC, installing a new offense with a Coordinator who's been out of the game for 2 years...what could possibly go wrong? 

I was surprised to hear so many players being outspoken this early.  Based on how things have been over the past few seasons I really thought Bowles was going to immediately tell his guys to stay quiet but of course that wasn't based on anything more than thinking an immediate culture shift was going to take place.  It's fine that Bowles eventually told them to tone it down, but I thought it would've been one of the first things he addressed.

As others have said, some fans would be losing their minds if it was the previous regime, but new hires and busy offseason overshadows some of the Mac/Bowles stuff being identical to the past few years.  I want them to win no matter who's in charge so I'm not going to pretend a particular move is more  meaningful when done by one FO vs another.

Easy Buster Skrine what you see in practice against the Jets offense, isn't what you're going to see against real NFL offenses. Too bad your not going to see too many Geno Smith and Fitzpatrick at Qb next year.

There isn't anything wrong with feeling confident, but at least wait till you actually face a competent offense.

And also has nothing to do with the fact that he was talking out the D. Which is hard to believe will struggle.

And most importantly, will have nothing to do with winning or losing games. This is just over reaction to the past HC.

Easy Buster Skrine what you see in practice against the Jets offense, isn't what you're going to see against real NFL offenses. Too bad your not going to see too many Geno Smith and Fitzpatrick at Qb next year.

There isn't anything wrong with feeling confident, but at least wait till you actually face a competent offense.

Don't we get Carr?

He's not a rookie either...he's been on the field to face competent offenses so I'd assume he knows what one looks like.

I was surprised to hear so many players being outspoken this early.  Based on how things have been over the past few seasons I really thought Bowles was going to immediately tell his guys to stay quiet but of course that wasn't based on anything more than thinking an immediate culture shift was going to take place.  It's fine that Bowles eventually told them to tone it down, but I thought it would've been one of the first things he addressed.

As others have said, some fans would be losing their minds if it was the previous regime, but new hires and busy offseason overshadows some of the Mac/Bowles stuff being identical to the past few years.  I want them to win no matter who's in charge so I'm not going to pretend a particular move is more  meaningful when done by one FO vs another.

People have their agendas and the mob mentality rules.  Fans just arent level headed by nature.  Guys like you and me are rare, my friend. 

“I’ve never played on a defense with this much talent. Our front seven has all-stars and then in the back end, we have all-stars.”

Look, I'm as excited about the upcoming season as the next guy, but our front "seven" is only exceptional on the line, and the only player on the back end that we expect to be great is Revis.  No one called our secondary a dream team when we had Revis and Cro the last time, and Cro is likely one notch (if not more) worse...

Our defense will definitely be above average, but if people think we're going to be top 3 - well, anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it...

I was surprised to hear so many players being outspoken this early. Based on how things have been over the past few seasons I really thought Bowles was going to immediately tell his guys to stay quiet but of course that wasn't based on anything more than thinking an immediate culture shift was going to take place. It's fine that Bowles eventually told them to tone it down, but I thought it would've been one of the first things he addressed.

As others have said, some fans would be losing their minds if it was the previous regime, but new hires and busy offseason overshadows some of the Mac/Bowles stuff being identical to the past few years. I want them to win no matter who's in charge so I'm not going to pretend a particular move is more meaningful when done by one FO vs another.

What's weird is that I thought it was really cool when Jets players talked trash in the past, but now I think it's stupid and lame. Can't figure out why though.

What's weird is that I thought it was really cool when Jets players talked trash in the past, but now I think it's stupid and lame. Can't figure out why though.

To each his own...didn't bother me much before, doesn't bother me much now.

I don't see anything wrong with Skrine's comment.  He's just making a statement based upon his opinion.  Also,  it's clear that he's excited about his team.  Why wouldn't fans want to hear what he has to say?

To each his own...didn't bother me much before, doesn't bother me much now.

Maybe it's just me then, but man, for like five years or so, I thought the Jets talking smack was straight trillballs, but over these last few months suddenly it's all Lamesville, USA. Weird.

Look, I'm as excited about the upcoming season as the next guy, but our front "seven" is only exceptional on the line, and the only player on the back end that we expect to be great is Revis.  No one called our secondary a dream team when we had Revis and Cro the last time, and Cro is likely one notch (if not more) worse...

Our defense will definitely be above average, but if people think we're going to be top 3 - well, anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet on it...

Compared to last year our secondary is a dream.

Cro is not a top #1 CB, but as a 2nd he is top 3. Skrine may be a top 3 slot corner, and we still have Miliner/McDoogie. I expect to get a season out of the combination one way or another.

Give Pryor a simpler assignment, and I think he will put a stop to all these quick passes over the middle. Skrine, and Gilchrist were targeted early, and aggressively. I think they have a role in mind for their particular skillsets.

Remember we had Coples jamming receivers at the line, and had to keep a safety deep(who didn't know how to play deep). This year our corners will be on an island with coverage shaded towards Cro.

That allows us to keep the safeties, then the LBs closer to the line. So Revis, and Cro upgrade each position by keeping them from being exposed.

Imagine we play a nickel base with Gilchrist, and Skrine covering man up(switching off if the slot is large, or small), and Pryor mid range roaming sideline to sideline and DD, and Harris in the middle to stop the run and/or jam the short receivers, or blitz. Then we have a versatile virtual 4 man line with extra time to get to the QB, leaving very little time to throw, and no chance to run.

Can't wait to see it, but I agree, I would like to stop hearing the players chirp about it.

“I’ve never played on a defense with this much talent. Our front seven has all-stars and then in the back end, we have all-stars. I’ve never seen anything like this. Everybody said the Philadelphia Eagles were going to be like the dream team, but we have chemistry on this defense already, and you can see it out in practice. I mean, we can match up however you want to match up. We can match up with any offense.”

he called the eagles a dream team

nothing wrong with what he said

Archived