Some outstanding burgers and stuff

joebabyny

So here is the first of 2 new burgers I am working on, the Breakfast-For-Dinner Burger. Any burger with the word "breakfast" in it has to include an egg. Any egg topping a burger has to be some kind of sunny side up or over easy with a runny yolk. The reason for this is the runny yolk mixes with the juices from the burger and any other condiments and forms a sauce while it is being eaten. Amazingly, I would say at least 75% of the time I order a burger with an egg on it, the yolk is solid.

The obvious way to prepare the egg is fried sunny side up. For this burger, I employed the crispy egg technique. Here is a short clip I shot previously,

Basically you get a small skillet, do NOT use a non-stick as the heat we are working with is too high, and heat a decent amount of extra virgin olive oil until it is really hot. Crack an egg into a bowl and dump it into the blazing hot oil. It will make a huge racket as the egg bubbles an boils in the oil, but do not touch it!! Once you see the white set and a crust form around the eggs, the egg should easily release from the pan with a spatula. If eating the egg alone you can play around with the seasonings, think of seasoning it like you would a steak.

So the burger stack here is a chuck/brisket/short rib beef blend, maple glazed red onions, gruyere cheese, thick cut bacon, arugula(ideally baby arugula but I didn't have it for this shoot), crispy egg, and brioche bun.

breakfastfordinnerburger1.jpg

EVOO tends to get bitter when cooking with it. I'm assuming because it's over pretty quickly that it's not an issue?

EVOO tends to get bitter when cooking with it. I'm assuming because it's over pretty quickly that it's not an issue?

It also smokes and burns at high heat. I'm curious as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, evoo does smoke at high heat and things can go south fast. The difference here is in how quickly I am heating the oil and how quickly the process lasts. The reason I use evoo, frankly is because of a chef that I think runs the best italian restaurants in the city, Frank Prizinsano, I got this technique from his instagram. The key here is that you put up a stainless pan -- do not use non stick!! -- and get it screaming hot, then dump the oil in and right after that the already cracked egg goes in. The egg white will form a kind of custardy souffle while keeping the yolk runny and give a crisp burntish bottom that is a whole different flavor and texture than the standard fried egg. This egg goes great on top of things like salads.

Yes, evoo does smoke at high heat and things can go south fast. The difference here is in how quickly I am heating the oil and how quickly the process lasts. The reason I use evoo, frankly is because of a chef that I think runs the best italian restaurants in the city, Frank Prizinsano, I got this technique from his instagram. The key here is that you put up a stainless pan -- do not use non stick!! -- and get it screaming hot, then dump the oil in and right after that the already cracked egg goes in. The egg white will form a kind of custardy souffle while keeping the yolk runny and give a crisp burntish bottom that is a whole different flavor and texture than the standard fried egg. This egg goes great on top of things like salads.

Ahhhhhh you're heating the pan first. That makes sense, thanks Joe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully I'll have some news to share within the next 2 weeks and I'll disclose it all.

Only place I can think of that might be the "next big neighborhood is Midtown (way) west.  Lots of new construction and the extension of the 7 train.  Island Burger, Bare Burger, 5 Napkin, and Shake Shack are a few blocks away which will give you some protection if you get in there first... Will be an interesting neighborhood... Probably a lot of foreign investors, but that will just bring more renters.  Obviously, I'm just speculating.

Archived