Some outstanding burgers and stuff

joebabyny

As TailgateJoe heads into it's 7th season in 2015, I am thinking about where my culinary adventure goes next to grow further. I mean, TGJ is what I do for fun and it isn't going anywhere, but I really want some way to share my thoughts on great food with more people outside of a parking lot. So I am actually in talks to open up my first restaurant in a very exciting NYC location, and it is going to feature something everyone loves, burgers. Basically a bar/grill featuring some awesome burgers and a great beer/spirits selection. At this point I am meeting with an architect to get some renderings done and talking with potential investors, while also playing around with recipes. It is all pretty exciting and a lot of work, but as an entrepreneur it suits me. Figured I would share what I cooked up yesterday playing around with recipes and ideas.

First for something healthy. The menu will be centered around burgers, but have a few other offerings as well. This is Lebanese garlic lemon marinated chicken breast with a cucumber yogurt sauce. I used an old school prepration here, whipping out a mortar and pestle and mashing the garlic and sea salt for the marinade into a paste. The cucumber sauce actually uses fat free greek yogurt.

chickenpita.jpg

Next the first burger. This is a riff on the Big Mac, it is what every big mac secretly hopes to become when it grows up. This has 2 4oz chuck/brisket/short rib beef patties, american cheese, my mac attack sauce, and minced onions on a fresh baked brioche bun.

mac.jpg

And the real show stopper of the day, the Devil's Double. Same chuck/brisket/short rib beef, pan fried (in bacon fat) queso blanco, cherry pepper/bacon relish, sriracha mayo, on a brioche bun.

hellburger.jpg

Hopefully this dream comes to fruition and you guys can all come by and try some of these!

why don't you meet me at a game shamu, we'll let Joe know before hand to octuple the usual food supply

Got to see what is happening with Baby Crusher at UCA. Their two upperclassman D lineman are both recovering from off season surgery. He just found out he may not get redshirted. If he plays this year going to focus all my resources to get to a couple games. If he does get redshirted and doesn't play then I would be down for that. Plus I got Sal playing ever Friday night at in his senior year.

Just curious, are you intending on keeping the meat mix high quality like that in the restaurant?  I'm curious at what the price point would be for a burger.  I ask because I am one to travel far and pay handsomely for a burger worth the price, and those look ridiculously good.  Also, what am I looking at in the center between the beef on that second burger?  That doesn't look like the roll. 

I've seen alot of "fancy" burger joints, but they get a little too caught up in the toppings and sauce and tend to ignore the meat or drown it out.  Your burgers look like they highlight the meat alot more which really has my interest. 

why don't you meet me at a game shamu, we'll let Joe know before hand to octuple the usual food supply

Got to see what is happening with Baby Crusher at UCA. Their two upperclassman D lineman are both recovering from off season surgery. He just found out he may not get redshirted. If he plays this year going to focus all my resources to get to a couple games. If he does get redshirted and doesn't play then I would be down for that. Plus I got Sal playing ever Friday night at in his senior year.

If this happens, I'm in. 

As TailgateJoe heads into it's 7th season in 2015, I am thinking about where my culinary adventure goes next to grow further. I mean, TGJ is what I do for fun and it isn't going anywhere, but I really want some way to share my thoughts on great food with more people outside of a parking lot. So I am actually in talks to open up my first restaurant in a very exciting NYC location, and it is going to feature something everyone loves, burgers. Basically a bar/grill featuring some awesome burgers and a great beer/spirits selection. At this point I am meeting with an architect to get some renderings done and talking with potential investors, while also playing around with recipes. It is all pretty exciting and a lot of work, but as an entrepreneur it suits me. Figured I would share what I cooked up yesterday playing around with recipes and ideas.

I'm assuming you've got plenty of people in your network who do design work, but if you're looking for someone that blends business/brand strategy with great design, we should talk.

Best of luck to you in the endeavor!

Just curious, are you intending on keeping the meat mix high quality like that in the restaurant?  I'm curious at what the price point would be for a burger.  I ask because I am one to travel far and pay handsomely for a burger worth the price, and those look ridiculously good.  Also, what am I looking at in the center between the beef on that second burger?  That doesn't look like the roll. 

I've seen alot of "fancy" burger joints, but they get a little too caught up in the toppings and sauce and tend to ignore the meat or drown it out.  Your burgers look like they highlight the meat alot more which really has my interest. 

Of course I will keep it high quality. I actually use Lafrieda for my burgers for my tailgate parties, so my commitment to the quality of everything I cook never waivers. Price points will be $11-15 for a 10oz burger, with an outlier being a dry-aged burger at like $25 or so that will be very limited in number, only like 8-10 burgers a day made.

The center of the second burger is not a bun, it is the pan-fried queso blanco cheese. I slice out a nice slab, and pan fry it in rendered bacon fat until it crisps up and gets gooey on the inside, then it gets laid onto the burger.

I'm assuming you've got plenty of people in your network who do design work, but if you're looking for someone that blends business/brand strategy with great design, we should talk.

Best of luck to you in the endeavor!

If you have a portfolio site definitely pm it to me.

Of course I will keep it high quality. I actually use Lafrieda for my burgers for my tailgate parties, so my commitment to the quality of everything I cook never waivers. Price points will be $11-15 for a 10oz burger, with an outlier being a dry-aged burger at like $25 or so that will be very limited in number, only like 8-10 burgers a day made.

The center of the second burger is not a bun, it is the pan-fried queso blanco cheese. I slice out a nice slab, and pan fry it in rendered bacon fat until it crisps up and gets gooey on the inside, then it gets laid onto the burger.

Just went from six to midnight. 

8Izox8h.gif

I'm gonna be honest, a burger that looks like the pics above for $11-15 is a steal, especially if it includes a solid side of fries or something to the likes.  And especially in the city.  And the queso blanco in bacon fat......TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW!!!!!

I'm gonna be honest, a burger that looks like the pics above for $11-15 is a steal, especially if it includes a solid side of fries or something to the likes. And especially in the city. And the queso blanco in bacon fat......TAKE ALL MY MONEY NOW!!!!!

It won't include fries, but that is because there will be some great options for fries.

Why in gods name would you put american cheese on a burger made of brisket and short ribs?

I spent a whole 70 seconds scrolling through the smileys looking for one that conveyed my contempt for this post.....unfortunately there wasn't one.

I usually have them ground up the flat for that purpose alone. It never smokes as well as the point anyways so IMO it's a way better use of the meat.

Flats can be tricky (especially when doing a whole packer), but when done properly, are unbelieveable.  High-heat is the way to go... I do flats at 325 for 2 hours, foil, and then put them back on until a temperature probe goes through the meat with almost no resistance (usually another 2 hours).  You can do a whole brisket the same way, but after the flat is done, I'll separate the point and put it back on for burnt ends.  I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother to check the internal temp during the cook.

I spent a whole 70 seconds scrolling through the smileys looking for one that conveyed my contempt for this post.....unfortunately there wasn't one.

It's okay, it was implicit the minute he clicked "post".

Flats can be tricky (especially when doing a whole packer), but when done properly, are unbelieveable.  High-heat is the way to go... I do flats at 325 for 2 hours, foil, and then put them back on until a temperature probe goes through the meat with almost no resistance (usually another 2 hours).  You can do a whole brisket the same way, but after the flat is done, I'll separate the point and put it back on for burnt ends.  I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother to check the internal temp during the cook.

You cut it in half once the flat is at temp? No sh*t. What then? Do you foil the point immediately?

I check internal temps usually up until it hits a stall. Then I foil and go as long as I can until it's time to serve. I just can't bring myself to start smoking at 3 am. If it's 1-2 degrees lower than it should be and I got an extra 5 hours sleep because of it, so be it. I've also found that by wrapping it in a towel and putting it in a cooler (while in the foil, of course) can bring it up a few degrees while it's settling too.

Good luck Joe. I hope things work out for you. My only fear, if your business picks up you might have to give up on your tailgate at Jets game. Will be a sad day if that happens. 

Lol, no worries on that. Actually, I have come to the conclusion to open a spot as a way to further TGJ along. Right now staffing is tough because my friends have other real jobs. If I had a restaurant, I would have more people to pull into the tailgate parties as staff.

• 3 weeks later...

So I have continued recipe/menu development and figured I would share a little of my handiwork for those not following me on instagram.

The first burger was something I made for a specific event. I was approached by the Staten Island LGBT Center to vend at their SI Pridefest festival at Snug Harbor. As I have family in the LGBT community it was something I was more than happy to do. I came up with the Rainbow Slaw Burger. It had my usual chuck/brisket/short rib mix along with swiss cheese, a sweet and savory bbq sauce I came up with, and a slaw consisting of green and purple cabbage, green onions, carrots, granny smith apples, and pomegranate jewels.

rainbowslawburger.jpg

And here was my tent setup

sipridebooth.jpg

Next is something I am still working on and probably 80% there with the recipe. One of the classic burgers on pretty much every diner menu is the Mushroom Swiss Burger. Truth be told, I am not a huge fan of mushrooms, mostly just tolerating them. One of the few exceptions to this is in one of my favorite dishes, chicken marsala, which can sometimes be smothered in mushrooms. I decided to combine my love of chicken marsala with the classic mushroom swiss burger and here I have the Marsala Glazed Mushroom and Onion Swiss Burger.

mushroomswissburger1.jpg

mushroomswissburger2.jpg

So I have continued recipe/menu development and figured I would share a little of my handiwork for those not following me on instagram.

The first burger was something I made for a specific event. I was approached by the Staten Island LGBT Center to vend at their SI Pridefest festival at Snug Harbor. As I have family in the LGBT community it was something I was more than happy to do. I came up with the Rainbow Slaw Burger. It had my usual chuck/brisket/short rib mix along with swiss cheese, a sweet and savory bbq sauce I came up with, and a slaw consisting of green and purple cabbage, green onions, carrots, granny smith apples, and pomegranate jewels.

rainbowslawburger.jpg

And here was my tent setup

sipridebooth.jpg

Next is something I am still working on and probably 80% there with the recipe. One of the classic burgers on pretty much every diner menu is the Mushroom Swiss Burger. Truth be told, I am not a huge fan of mushrooms, mostly just tolerating them. One of the few exceptions to this is in one of my favorite dishes, chicken marsala, which can sometimes be smothered in mushrooms. I decided to combine my love of chicken marsala with the classic mushroom swiss burger and here I have the Marsala Glazed Mushroom and Onion Swiss Burger.

mushroomswissburger1.jpg

mushroomswissburger2.jpg

That thing looks awesome.  Any chance we see it at a tailgate this year?

Best of luck with the restaurant Joe!

That thing looks awesome. Any chance we see it at a tailgate this year?

Best of luck with the restaurant Joe!

Well, there is always the possibility.

And thanks, got the thumbs up from the developer for the site I am looking at, just scrambling to find the money. Anyone wanting to invest in a awesome place in what will be nyc' next big neighborhood get in touch!!

And thanks, got the thumbs up from the developer for the site I am looking at, just scrambling to find the money. Anyone wanting to invest in a awesome place in what will be nyc' next big neighborhood get in touch!!

how much you looking for and at what valuation?

how much you looking for and at what valuation?

Ditto what CTM said. 

So here is the first of 2 new burgers I am working on, the Breakfast-For-Dinner Burger. Any burger with the word "breakfast" in it has to include an egg. Any egg topping a burger has to be some kind of sunny side up or over easy with a runny yolk. The reason for this is the runny yolk mixes with the juices from the burger and any other condiments and forms a sauce while it is being eaten. Amazingly, I would say at least 75% of the time I order a burger with an egg on it, the yolk is solid.

The obvious way to prepare the egg is fried sunny side up. For this burger, I employed the crispy egg technique. Here is a short clip I shot previously,

Basically you get a small skillet, do NOT use a non-stick as the heat we are working with is too high, and heat a decent amount of extra virgin olive oil until it is really hot. Crack an egg into a bowl and dump it into the blazing hot oil. It will make a huge racket as the egg bubbles an boils in the oil, but do not touch it!! Once you see the white set and a crust form around the eggs, the egg should easily release from the pan with a spatula. If eating the egg alone you can play around with the seasonings, think of seasoning it like you would a steak.

So the burger stack here is a chuck/brisket/short rib beef blend, maple glazed red onions, gruyere cheese, thick cut bacon, arugula(ideally baby arugula but I didn't have it for this shoot), crispy egg, and brioche bun.

breakfastfordinnerburger1.jpg

And this is another egg-topped burger with a little Asian flavor. This one is named for one of my favorite movies when I was a kid,

eggshen.jpg

The Egg Shen Burger.

This stack consists of the chuck/brisket/short rib beef blend, hoisin mayo, gruyere cheese, a crispy egg, and roasted shish*to peppers on a brioche bun. Shish*to peppers are pretty fun to work with. They are cooked and eaten whole, minus the stem, and can be fried, deep fried, grilled, or roasted. They generally are not spicy, but 1 in 10 can be hot, so there is a little "danger" there in getting a hot one.

eggshenburger1.jpg

Archived