Rex Went to Jail for Breaking his Brother's Nose in Wingman Dispute

Bruce Harper

Does this deserve its own thread?  Almost certainly not.  But it is a good story and revealing of the Ryan family ethos.

Report: Rex Ryan once went to jail for fighting with brother Rob

9:55p ET

Posted by James Parziale

Buddy Ryan once threw a punch on the sidelines at Kevin Gilbride. It's safe to say the apples don't fall far from the tree.

New Bills coach Rex Ryan and his twin brother Rob, defensive coordinator for Saints, have always proclaimed to be very close. Though they've never coached together, their relationship has always been something that's intrigued NFL fans since their father was the famed inventor of the 46 defense and helped lead the Bears to their only Super Bowl win in 1985.

Well, in a fantastically crafted piece by the Buffalo News, we learn a little something about the Ryan twins.

Check out this choice excerpt about a time when Rex "ended up in jail after he broke Rob's nose" over a disagreement the two had that started as a bit of a brotherly brawl. It came several days before the Bears romped over the Patriots, 46-10, to cap an 18-1 season in January 1986.

They were students at Southwestern Oklahoma State. Rob wanted to take a lady on a date and needed Rex to be his wingman. Rex wasn't down for the mission because he'd already met Micki, the woman he would marry.

Rob: "I was a solo rider and had a babe on the line. But she had a friend. I said, 'You know, come on. Be a team player.'"

Rex: "I said, 'Dude, I'm staying at home today.'"

FOX SPORTS DAILY GENERAL SPORT EDITION
SPORTS NEWS TO YOUR INBOX!
CHOOSE YOUR SPORT(S)

*By clicking "SUBSCRIBE", you have read and agreed to the Fox Sports Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

SUBSCRIBE

Rob: "So after a few hundred beers I said, 'You need to help out.' He didn't, so I was pissed and got in a wrestling match with him. I think he was a lot more sober than I was."

Rex: "I was bigger and was just going to throw his ass down. But he reversed me and got on top. So we went at it. We ended up outside, and here he comes."

Rob: "I ran after him, and he had a right hand waiting for me. I never saw it coming. Still haven't seen it."

Rex: "I got him good, and it was over. I felt terrible. I couldn't believe I hit my brother like that."

Rex was furious and, as keeper of the car key, drove off to clear his head. Tatters of a bloody shirt hung off him.

"I get pulled over by a cop. He sees me and doesn't know what he's got," Rex said with a gleaming-white smile. "I said, 'I just got in a fight with my brother. You can take me back there, and he'll explain it.'

"They take me to jail and then called my brother. He said, 'Nah, leave him in there.'"

Rob's ankle was broken during the wrestling portion of the match, and his nose broken during the boxing portion. When they arrived in New Orleans for Super Bowl week, Rob's ankle was in a cast. "We both had black eyes," Rob said. Buddy wasn't amused.

The story goes into a lot more details about the Ryan family, giving a lot of insight to Rex's last year with theJets and some interesting takes from his mother, Doris Ryan. 

That said, we also recommend treading lightly if you encounter a member of the Ryan family, since more often than not this is how the story ends.

Me and brothers got into knock down drag outs all the time.  I went to school with 2 black eyes once because of my brother and my parents got called in to school...they were worried my dad was abusing me.  True story.  It was funny as hell because my brother forced me to tell my parents I got into a fight at the bus stop after we were dropped off from school.

Rex Ryan is the awesome.  You may hate him as coach, you may think he ruined an already sh*t franchise but he's the coolest person is sports.

Rex Ryan is a nutball. Which is why he waited so long to get a head coaching job. http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2002-06-04/sports/0206040007_1_wheatley-myers-ryan Ravens coach Ryan charged with assault
Neighbor allegedly beat up in Sunday night dispute Pro Football
June 04, 2002|By Julie Bykowicz | Julie Bykowicz,SUN STAFF

Ravens defensive line coachicon1.png Rex Ryan is accused of beating up an Ellicott City neighbor Sunday night during a dispute that began over their young children's argument, Howard County police said yesterday.

The altercation left Robert Wheatley with a cut under his eye and a knot on his forehead, county police spokeswoman Pfc. Lisa Myers said. Wheatley was taken to Howard County General Hospital, where he was treated and released, a hospital spokeswoman said.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

Ryan, 39, was not injured in the fighticon1.png, police said.

County police filed a second-degree assault charge against the coachicon1.png, Myers said. Ryan was not arrested but was issued a court summons, she said.

Ryan and Wheatley declined to comment about the incident yesterday.

Wheatley called police about 7 p.m. Sunday to report that he had been assaulted in his home, Myers said.

Ryan, of the 2300 block of Ballard Way, went to Wheatley's home in the 9800 block of Diversified Lane on Sunday evening to "have words with him" about an argument between their children Friday, Myers said.

Rex is like the Kim Kardasian of sports. He gets more ink wasted on him for some of the dumbest BS imaginable. I just don't get it...

Huge difference, Kim goes out of her way trying to get in the news.

Rex just gets there by way of his personality and people liking him. He had nothing to do with a reporter resurrecting a 30 year old article.

Brothers got into a fight, shocking, this is news

Me and brothers got into knock down drag outs all the time. I went to school with 2 black eyes once because of my brother and my parents got called in to school...they were worried my dad was abusing me. True story. It was funny as hell because my brother forced me to tell my parents I got into a fight at the bus stop after we were dropped off from school.

Rex Ryan is the awesome. You may hate him as coach, you may think he ruined an already sh*t franchise but he's the coolest person is sports.

He's a ******* moron. You can heap whatever praise on him you want, but don't project your idiotic standards onto the rest of us.

Rhonda Roussey is probably the coolest person in sports right now. Rex isn't even the coolest person in the NFL, which would be Beastmode.

He's a ******* moron. You can heap whatever praise on him you want, but don't project your idiotic standards onto the rest of us.

Rhonda Roussey is probably the coolest person in sports right now. Rex isn't even the coolest person in the NFL, which would be Beastmode.

Rhonda Roussey is a ******* moron. You can heap whatever praise on her all you want, but don't project your idiotic standards onto the rest of us.

Rhonda Roussey is a ******* moron. You can heap whatever praise on her all you want, but don't project your idiotic standards onto the rest of us.

JiF I like you, but please don't talk about my girlfriend like that. I dont want to have to choke you out with your own pukas. 

you might be on to something..

Brothers getting into a fistfight? Color me shocked. 

one time my sister hit me in the face and left a black eye and i was like hey guys my brother hit me im the coolest guy and then they were like rjf you dont have a brother he's a sister and then they all called me a fraud. so i had to find another way to be cool and started asking just random people to hit me in the face because punching and getting punched is the coolest but everyone still laughed at me so i dunno what to say.

one time my sister hit me in the face and left a black eye and i was like hey guys my brother hit me im the coolest guy and then they were like rjf you dont have a brother he's a sister and then they all called me a fraud. so i had to find another way to be cool and started asking just random people to hit me in the face because punching and getting punched is the coolest but everyone still laughed at me so i dunno what to say.

We all know that's not true. Girls don't hit. Girls will emotionally mindf*ck you until you develop an eating disorder. That's what they do. The sick bastards. 

Great story.

Funny guy, terrible HC. Love to hang out with him.

By all accounts seems like a great guy. The guys weaknesses as a HC were being too loyal, and not paying enough attention to detail.

Description of most of the best friends in my life.

Don't know why this would turn into a Rex bashing thread.

Sick of Rex and the rest of the Ryans, we get it they were cool and all that stuff....These stories all come out because Rex needs love from strangers...He's one 3-13 season away from hanging out at highway rest stops. Coach the damn team and STFU.

Why in the **** don't you care? This is our division rival we're talking about.

This incident with the Ryans has nothing to do with football...  You're only interested in Rex gossip.  Boring.

Let it go guys. Rex isn't the coach here anymore, move on.

Really sick of people patronizingly telling others to move on. It's the offseason, Rex is the most polarizing figure in the NFL. If P. Diddy getting in a fight with former Jet Sal Alosi is worth a thread, so is this.

Archived