I think I just had an epiphany. Or I may be completely insane.

Jetsfan80

I don't know whether to trust the validity of this statement, but I've read that if a person were to read about a particular topic for about 5 hours per week for 7 years (with variance depending on how fast of a reader you are and other factors, of course), one could become a world expert on that topic.

With all of the FIFA corruption stories going on, and with the 2022 Qatar (or wherever it ends up) World Cup scheduled to be almost exactly 7 years away, would it be impossible for an idiot like me to read up on FIFA corruption over the years, become a world expert, and write a bestseller just in time for the World Cup, the world's biggest event, in 2022?

And if it is possible, would it be worth it?  Would that end up being the only topic I talk to people about?  Would I be killed off by some FIFA official?  Would something happen in between that would make the topic uninteresting?  After all, the time to have written this book would may well have come and gone; starting an endeavor like this now could very well be a poor decision when it comes to timing.

Thoughts appreciated.

Why dont you just do it for yourself because you're passionate about it and you'll enjoy it.  That way, you wont be disappointed when nobody wants to read your book and it will be more of a life accomplishment you can be proud of as opposed to making this with the idea that you're going to create a best seller. 

Why dont you just do it for yourself because your passionate about it and you'll enjoy it.  That way, you wont be disappointed when nobody wants to read your book and it will be more of a life accomplishment you can be proud of as opposed to making this with the idea that you're going to create a best seller. 

True.  Creating a bestseller and getting rich wouldn't be the ultimate goal of course, or even a realistic one.  But what's the point of becoming a world expert if you aren't going to have people read your work?  When someone becomes immersed in a topic for that length of time, that person ends up reaching out to other experts on the topic, interviewing people in various places across the globe, sharing ideas, etc.  Much like those who earn their Ph.D's, publishing works that advance knowledge of their chosen field is a necessity.

True.  Creating a bestseller and getting rich wouldn't be the ultimate goal of course, or even a realistic one.  But what's the point of becoming a world expert if you aren't going to have people read your work?  When someone becomes immersed in a topic for that length of time, that person ends up reaching out to other experts on the topic, interviewing people in various places across the globe, sharing ideas, etc.  Much like those who earn their Ph.D's, publishing works that advance knowledge of their chosen field is a necessity.

My point is, the thought that you'll be perceived as any of this is a little ridiculous...so just do it for fun.

My point is, the thought that you'll be perceived as any of this is a little ridiculous...so just do it for fun.

You may be right.  But I'm not sure if anyone has ever actually attempted this and had it work. 

Quite possibly the best idea I've ever heard. I'll buy the first book. 

Not sure if serious.

Five hours a week for seven years? I'm guessing you're already a world expert in masturbation.

Being that this idea has its own masturbatory qualities, I'm sure it'll go just great.

I don't know whether to trust the validity of this statement, but I've read that if a person were to read about a particular topic for about 5 hours per week for 7 years (with variance depending on how fast of a reader you are and other factors, of course), one could become a world expert on that topic.

With all of the FIFA corruption stories going on, and with the 2022 Qatar (or wherever it ends up) World Cup scheduled to be almost exactly 7 years away, would it be impossible for an idiot like me to read up on FIFA corruption over the years, become a world expert, and write a bestseller just in time for the World Cup, the world's biggest event, in 2022?

And if it is possible, would it be worth it?  Would that end up being the only topic I talk to people about?  Would I be killed off by some FIFA official?  Would something happen in between that would make the topic uninteresting?  After all, the time to have written this book would may well have come and gone; starting an endeavor like this now could very well be a poor decision when it comes to timing.

Thoughts appreciated.

nothing could happen in the meantime to make the topic less uninteresting.

Sounds like a good idea to me; go for it.

I spend at least five hours a week cruising around this site and posting pictures of cats and boobs. I should publish my own coffee table picture book called Kitties and Titties: A Retrospective. Anyone have ties to the publishing world? This has bestseller written all over it. 

dss7tcy.jpg

Thoughts appreciated.

Do it. But go into detail on how Blatter personally eats the souls of children. And get Platini and Delaney implicated too.

I spend at least five hours a week cruising around this site and posting pictures of cats and boobs. I should publish my own coffee table picture book called Kitties and Titties: A Retrospective. Anyone have ties to the publishing world? This has bestseller written all over it. 

Don't forget to deem yourself a world expert.

dss7tcy.jpg

Your book idea >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> mine.  Do it man.

dss7tcy.jpg

Best of luck with this project, BD.   It's slightly reminiscent of the book idea in "Throw Mama From the Train".   One of the characters in the writing class is focused on a coffee table book he wants to call, "100 Girls I'd Like to F*ck".  lol

Best of luck with this project, BD.   It's slightly reminiscent of the book idea in "Throw Mama From the Train".   One of the characters in the writing class is focused on a coffee table book he wants to call, "100 Girls I'd Like to F*ck".  lol

Hahahahaha I remember that! I think one of the entries was something like: "Chapter 3: That Girl from the Taco Commercial." 

Now I want to watch that movie again. 

While I'm throwing out sure-fire bestselling book ideas, we should do one chronicling the greatest threads on Jet Nation. We could call it something like Jet Nation's Greatest Hits: An Uncensored Perspective on the New York Jets Written by Fans, Trolls and Idiots with Nothing Else to Do. 

Hahahahaha I remember that! I think one of the entries was something like: "Chapter 3: That Girl from the Taco Commercial." 

Now I want to watch that movie again. 

lol  The best was watching Billy Crystal flip out.  Kept telling the guy that's not what this writing class is about.  Then, the guy sells the book idea.  LMFAO.

I would suggest math.

Archived