Movies that you hated/didn't like but everybody else seemed to love

Morrissey

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. I think Shawshank is wildly and almost universally overrated and basically a hallmark movie with butt rape. Fight Club I think is legit completely terrible but wouldn't have expected any different had I ever read Pahlaniuk before I saw it.

Next you'll tell us "Mall Cop" sucked.   :winking0001:

I did not enjoy Saving Private Ryan either. Ed Burns' voice. My god.

Guy made a living in Hollywood off his hackneyed first project, "The Brothers McMullen".  Talk about a contrived script.  And the guy's acting ability is always a  one-note affair.

Not really. I think Shawshank is wildly and almost universally overrated and basically a hallmark movie with butt rape. Fight Club I think is legit completely terrible but wouldn't have expected any different had I ever read Pahlaniuk before I saw it.

lawl.. Can you do more of these?

inglorious bastards ... watching brad Pitt's performance is actually some new form of torture... plus is drags on and on during the cinema scenes. it too bad because it has two stellar scenes ... the opening and the basement pub scenes.

I disliked the movie as well, but then again, I saw Ferngully when I was about 7, so you're gonna have to do a whole lot more than slap 3d on it to top Robin Williams as a talking bat. But then I gave it another chance, went and saw it high, and it was the t!ts.

Fern gully + tanks + bad CGI = avatar

Cameron is such a great writer it's amazing he made such a crappy rehash of his earlier better movies like Aliens.

Everyone loved the early Jim Carey movies, specifically Ace Ventura and the other slapstick crap. I hated them.

I only liked Cable Guy, Dumb and Dumber, and Truman Show was brilliant.

"The Cable Guy" was great.  So dark, with Carey playing a sociopath for laughs.  lol

As for "The Truman Show":  It started off brilliant (great concept), but really lost steam.  Horrible second act and ending.

You know what ruined Avatar for me? The MacGuffin in that movie was called "unobtanium"--not referring to it in an offhand, abstract, engineering in-joke sort of way; that was the actual scientific name of the mineral or whatever it was they were after. They literally could not have called it anything more generic. 

Petty, I know, but that's what got the proverbial sand in my proverbial vagina about that movie. 

LMFAO 

I never saw Avatar and do not care to because the whole concept seemed lame to me. Reading this post justifies my decision yet again. "Unobtainium" is just lazy writing. 

I work in a commodities based industry and we have been using "unobtainium" forever. It's a joke. It's used whenever the customer asks for something that doesn't exist. 

"The Cable Guy" was great.  So dark, with Carey playing a sociopath for laughs.  lol

As for "The Truman Show":  It started off brilliant (great concept), but really lost steam.  Horrible second act and ending.

I tend to agree with you on Truman, I found that the supporting cast just wasn't on the same level as Carey. The more screen time they got, the more the movie dulled out.

Everyone loved the early Jim Carey movies, specifically Ace Ventura and the other slapstick crap. I hated them.

I only liked Cable Guy, Dumb and Dumber, and Truman Show was brilliant.

I'm with you, I didn't even like those 3.  I can't even stand watching Jim Carey at all, he makes my skin crawl. 

I'm with Aten on Shawshank. It's a good movie, but you guys act like it is some kind masterpiece. Eh.

The idea that Platoon was somehow groundbreaking also confuses me. They are good enough movies, but I think they are a little too loved.

I think with Platoon it was more the portrayal of things. I've yet to meet an older veteran that hasn't told me it's the most realistic view of Vietnam from a soldier's standpoint.

I thought Billion Dollar Baby was one of the biggest pieces of sh-t I have ever seen. Talk about failing to earn an ending. Why didn't you have her white trash family kill her with neglect, instead. Of course, maybe it's just me!

I work in a commodities based industry and we have been using "unobtainium" forever. It's a joke. It's used whenever the customer asks for something that doesn't exist. 

"No.....no, sir, we cannot sell you an anchor that can also catch fish."

I'm gonna throw Aliens up on here too. Vastly inferior to its predecessor, and the plot has the depth of a children's swimming pool. I loved how Cameron did Bishop, but other than that I have always hated it. Scott's Alien is cerebral, claustrophobic, and terrifying. It's one of the smartest movies ever made in any genre. Cameron's movie is nothing more than a summer popcorn flick. Stupid. It's stupid.

You mean like a comic book movie?

Some comic book movies, sure. Like any other genre really.

There's nothing wrong with a popcorn flick btw. Avengers and Jurassic World, for example; both popcorn flicks and I loved those. I just don't think Aliens deserves to be mentioned with 2001 or Blade Runner or Alien, like it usually is in the SciFi realm.

Archived