RUSSELL WILSON ASKS SEAHAWKS TO TRY AGAIN WITH NEW CONTRACT

jeaniec

Russell Wilson reportedly wants to be the highest-paid player in the NFL. Cam Newton is not the highest-paid player in the league.

Therefore, when the Seahawks reportedly offered Wilson a deal similar to Newton’s new contract, Wilson asked the team to try again.

Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports was first to report the offer from Seattle.

These are simple negotiation tactics from both sides with Wilson arguing he should be the richest man in the sport, while the Seahawks’ first offer is closer to that of a QB with far less success than Wilson, who has taken the franchise to back-to-back Super Bowls and won one of them.

The two sides will likely meet somewhere in the middle between an Aaron Rodgers-esque mega-deal and that of Newton (five years, $103.8 million with $60 million guaranteed) — the latter a nice NFL quarterback, but one with just one playoff win and a sub-.500 record as a starter in four years. 

Earlier in the week, Wilson said he hopes to stay with the Seahawks, but also seemed accepting of the idea of not playing in Seattle, saying he has “moved around before.”

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-06-26/russell-wilson-contract-seattle-seahawks-cam-newton-carolina-panthers

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's going to get what he wants. Winning QB's don't grow on trees, check out a team like the Jets. They should have offered him the Newton Deal months ago, not react to a deal for a lesser QB now where he's pussy hurt and they're wrong. He knows he's worth way more than Tannahill and Newton. The Seahawks blew this

They should play their backup and show Wilson that the teams wins have more to do with their defense and run game than him. Show him how much more valuable Lynch is to the team than Wilson is. When it comes time to sit down and write the contract they should replay his superbowl losing interception on loop in front of him and then ask him why he thinks he is worth more money than anyone in the NFL (if im not mistaken he wants it all 100% guaranteed also).

I have a lot of respect for Wilson as a person I have heard lots of stories of him doing great things outside of football but by no means is he worth paying more than anyone in the NFL, I honestly believe the team can win without him.

He's going to get what he wants. Winning QB's don't grow on trees, check out a team like the Jets. They should have offered him the Newton Deal months ago, not react to a deal for a lesser QB now where he's pussy hurt and they're wrong. He knows he's worth way more than Tannahill and Newton. The Seahawks blew this

Of course it doesn't hurt that Wilson has the best defense in the league as well as the best RB.  Wilson is very good QB but he is not Brady, Manning or Brees.

Of course it doesn't hurt that Wilson has the best defense in the league as well as the best RB.  Wilson is very good QB but he is not Brady, Manning or Brees.

Brady won at least 2 of his SBs behind his defense. Manning won his only SB when his defense finally stopped being a sieve. Same with Brees. 

Teams that win SBs often have to be complete teams. You are comparing Wilson in what his 3 years of NFL experience with 3 QBs that have played for 10 years and that are all probably going to the HOF. Seems like a fair comparison.

The thing teams have to consider is that Wilson hasn't hit the age where he hit his ceiling yet. There's still room for him to get better, which is crazy considering how good he is now. 

The stats I'm looking at say Wilson has thrown 26 INTs in 3 years. Do you realize the Jets QB position for the past decade have single-handedly turned the ball over 20+ times per year via fumble and INT? Imagine how many Jet games would have been changed if our QBs weren't turning the ball over so much? Go all the way back to like 2007, the year with Penny, Clemens, mess... then Favre... all the way up to now. The ball security alone is worth the money, lol.

They should play their backup and show Wilson that the teams wins have more to do with their defense and run game than him. Show him how much more valuable Lynch is to the team than Wilson is. When it comes time to sit down and write the contract they should replay his superbowl losing interception on loop in front of him and then ask him why he thinks he is worth more money than anyone in the NFL (if im not mistaken he wants it all 100% guaranteed also).

I have a lot of respect for Wilson as a person I have heard lots of stories of him doing great things outside of football but by no means is he worth paying more than anyone in the NFL, I honestly believe the team can win without him.

I'd like to see how great the Seahawks defense is, with a QB that turns it over 3 more times per game. See what those extra offensive series do for their opponents, and do for the 'hawks D. I know Rex's D was pretty good, but Geno, Sanchez giving the ball back to the opponent constantly always seemed to take its toll on the D.

Brady won at least 2 of his SBs behind his defense. Manning won his only SB when his defense finally stopped being a sieve. Same with Brees. 

Teams that win SBs often have to be complete teams. You are comparing Wilson in what his 3 years of NFL experience with 3 QBs that have played for 10 years and that are all probably going to the HOF. Seems like a fair comparison.

The thing teams have to consider is that Wilson hasn't hit the age where he hit his ceiling yet. There's still room for him to get better, which is crazy considering how good he is now. 

The stats I'm looking at say Wilson has thrown 26 INTs in 3 years. Do you realize the Jets QB position for the past decade have single-handedly turned the ball over 20+ times per year via fumble and INT? Imagine how many Jet games would have been changed if our QBs weren't turning the ball over so much? Go all the way back to like 2007, the year with Penny, Clemens, mess... then Favre... all the way up to now. The ball security alone is worth the money, lol.

I don't judge a QB solely by Super Bowl wins.  This is a team sport, it's not boxing or tennis.  I've been a Jets fan since 1968, no QB scared me more than Dan Marino, unfortunately for Marino he never had a great running game behind him or a great defense.  He carried the Dolphins to the Super Bowl in the 1984 season.  My point is that Wilson, a very good QB, plays on a great team.  If Marino, Brady or Brees were on that team they would have more than 1 Super Bowl victory.

They were a 7-9 team before Wilson. And that was with Lynch leading the way with 1400 yards/12 TDs.  He saved Pete Carroll's job. You think they make back to back SBs with Matt Flynn or Charlie Whitehorse?

I have no doubt they will pay him.

Best selling NFL jersey as well. Dude is worth big bucks both on and off the field.

So it's Wilson's fault they have a top 5 defense and a top 5 running game? The guy makes plays. He took them to two Super Bowls already in his career.

And I think you are completely wrong. Seattle could replace Lynch and have no dropoff, but Wilson is the key to their entire team. Wilson is a massively underrated player.Switch Luck and Wilson and Wilson would put up similar to better numbers than Luck.

That said, I am not sure Seattle will go there. I believe that Carroll thinks he can coach someone up and may not want to lose the 3-4 key players it will cost to keep Wilson.

I don't judge a QB solely by Super Bowl wins.  This is a team sport, it's not boxing or tennis.  I've been a Jets fan since 1968, no QB scared me more than Dan Marino, unfortunately for Marino he never had a great running game behind him or a great defense.  He carried the Dolphins to the Super Bowl in the 1984 season.  My point is that Wilson, a very good QB, plays on a great team.  If Marino, Brady or Brees were on that team they would have more than 1 Super Bowl victory.

So would Wilson if not for the most brain dead call in SB history. Wilson should have audibled out of it though,

I'd like to see how great the Seahawks defense is, with a QB that turns it over 3 more times per game. See what those extra offensive series do for their opponents, and do for the 'hawks D. I know Rex's D was pretty good, but Geno, Sanchez giving the ball back to the opponent constantly always seemed to take its toll on the D.

Man we could have a thread on Jets cheerleader camel-toe shots and someone would find a way to dig at Geno.

He has all the leverage. There's really only 7-8 good quarterbacks currently in the NFL and he's one of them.  There will be riots in Seattle if he ever left.

Not quite as much as you think, but a lot . Seattle can keep Wilson for three years at around $47 million ($3 million this year, $20 million estimated franchise tag next year and $24 the year after) but no guarantee if he got injured,  Now, there is a chance someone would give up 2 number 1s for Wilson under the tag, so Seattle is probably not as willing to go there as they will suggest in the negotiations. My guess is he gets slotted above Cam but below Rodgers. A Luck deal before Seattle signs Wilson could make things tough on Seattle. 

Not quite as much as you think, but a lot . Seattle can keep Wilson for three years at around $47 million ($3 million this year, $20 million estimated franchise tag next year and $24 the year after) but no guarantee if he got injured,  Now, there is a chance someone would give up 2 number 1s for Wilson under the tag, so Seattle is probably not as willing to go there as they will suggest in the negotiations. My guess is he gets slotted above Cam but below Rodgers. A Luck deal before Seattle signs Wilson could make things tough on Seattle. 

The problem with what you're saying is the QB position is so insanely central in whether you win or lose in today's NFL and there are so few qb's who are actually good.  Yeah if Wilson played another position Seattle would take 2 1st's for him and run.

People made fun of the Ravens for giving Flacco a $100 million deal said it would cripple the rest of the roster because of the cap yet they made the playoffs last season and would have beaten the Patriots had they not cheated.

The Seahawks have had enough success in the draft last few years they could make Wilson the highest paid player and continue to be a contender.  Their division sucks - 49ers are finished, Rams don't have a qb, Cardinals are ok but Palmer gets hurt a lot.

The arguments against Wilson are the same exact arguments that were being made against Brady early in his career.

Wilson is on track for a HOF career if he stays healthy.  He's a special player who is leading a good team and putting them over the top.

Give him the richest contract ever and end the almost 5 decade drought of not having a competent ******* QB.

Bradway was begging Tanny to draft him but Tanny moved up in the 2nd rd for Hill, Wilson went 2 picks before the Jets turn in the 3rd..

If I am Wilson I pray for this, and when the team starts 0-3 I not only want to be highest paid, but want to be highest paid by a 15% margin.

Bradway was begging Tanny to draft him but Tanny moved up in the 2nd rd for Hill, Wilson went 2 picks before the Jets turn in the 3rd..

Why draft Wilson who can play, who needs competition?

Better to stick with Sanchez no matter what and prove how smart you are.....

Makes sense to me..... :sign0163:

We had already traded for Tim Tebow at that point - big reason we took a pass on Wilson.

Worst move in this franchise's history since O'brien over Marino.

His pocket awareness is perfect. He is one of the rare duel threats who knows when and when not to run it.Steve Young is the last one I can remember. Rodgers maybe?

That's a keen comparison you make to Steve Young. I love these people who think Wilson is a product of a system what an asinine statement. Mediocre WR's, OL can't pass protect yet 2 SB appearances last 2 years.

We had already traded for Tim Tebow at that point - big reason we took a pass on Wilson.

Worst move in this franchise's history since O'brien over Marino.

And yet some claim Tanny knew what he was doing?

He didn't.

I think Wilson is mentally stronger than Sanchez and would have been able to perform here in the NY/NJ area.  Something Sanchez never proved he could do on a consistent basis.  

The truth is making dumb moves concerning the QB position are reasons why folks get fired. 

Hence the reason why Tanny and Rex are both not here!

And yet some claim Tanny knew what he was doing?

He didn't.

I think Wilson is mentally stronger than Sanchez and would have been able to perform here in the NY/NJ area. Something Sanchez never proved he could do on a consistent basis.

The truth is making dumb moves concerning the QB position are reasons why folks get fired.

Hence the reason why Tanny and Rex are both not here!

Wilson would have been a home run for us and Rex probably still is the head coach. He's smart and can make all the throws.

But Woody had to get his hero Tebow.

Give him the richest contract ever and end the almost 5 decade drought of not having a competent ******* QB.

Give me a ******* break.

You seriously, HONESTLY, believe Vinny and O'Brien weren't good QBs? Or Pennington for that matter? Dipsh*t.

Archived