RUSSELL WILSON ASKS SEAHAWKS TO TRY AGAIN WITH NEW CONTRACT

jeaniec

Wilson would have been a home run for us and Rex probably still is the head coach. He's smart and can make all the throws.

But Woody had to get his hero Tebow.

lol c'mon bro. Tebow was NOT a Woody move. It was a football move intended to help the team win. It's all on Bradway and Tannenbaum.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people here giving Wilson more credit than he is worth, no they were not a winning team before Wilson came, their entire defense was just beginning to take shape when Wilson was drafted in 2012. Some notable players drafted in the two years before Wilson became a Seahawk 2010 Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor, 2011 Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell, The two years before Wilson became a Seahawk they got basically their entire secondary which despite the common forum logic drafted players do sometimes take a year or two to develop properly. in 2012 the Seahawks draft Bruce Irvin , Bobby Wagner and Wilson pretty much solidifying them as one of the best Defenses in the NFL. In 2013 (Wilsons first superbowl appreance) the Seahawks get a new Defensive Coordinator by the name of Dann Quinn. In 2010 the Seahawks acquired Lynch via a trade giving him 2 years to get used to a new offense before drafting Wilson (2010 Lynch ran for 575 yards and 6 tds, 2011 1204 and 12 tds). Wilson is by far the best time manager and the best dual threat QB in the NFL and I do have a lot of respect for him, I do not believe however that he is worth 100m over 5 years with every penny guaranteed as I believe they have a winning team regardless of who plays the QB position.

As for the guy who claims he could swap places with Luck and be just as successful I believe that you are 110% wrong, Wilson would likely be terrible in Indy as they don't have the defense and run game to support his time management (he would be forced to throw the ball at times and when he is forced to throw he makes mistakes (see the last Seahawk offensive play of last years superbowl)) (I also believe there is a reason that Seattle throws the ball less than any other team in the NFL). Luck on the other hand I believe would have atleast 2 superbowl wins if he were given the keys to the Seahawks and likely would have had the home field advantage in the playoffs both seasons.

I'd like to see how great the Seahawks defense is, with a QB that turns it over 3 more times per game. See what those extra offensive series do for their opponents, and do for the 'hawks D. I know Rex's D was pretty good, but Geno, Sanchez giving the ball back to the opponent constantly always seemed to take its toll on the D.

Do you honestly think Wilson would have looked good on a team like the Jets last season with our secondary? The hawks throw the ball less than any team in the NFL because they don't have to make big plays often on offense to win a football game. Wilson is a good fit for the team as he can manage the clock better than anyone in the NFL but I believe the teams success has much more to do with the defense and Lynch than it does with Wilson.

They were a 7-9 team before Wilson. And that was with Lynch leading the way with 1400 yards/12 TDs.  He saved Pete Carroll's job. You think they make back to back SBs with Matt Flynn or Charlie Whitehorse?

I have no doubt they will pay him.

Best selling NFL jersey as well. Dude is worth big bucks both on and off the field.

Lynch got there two years before Wilson did and his first season with the Hawks was less than impressive, his second year (1 year before Wilson arrived) was good but their defense (particularly their secondary) was young and just beginning to become what they are, they also didn't have Dann Quinn as a coordinator until 2013 (Wilsons first superbowl) I will say again I really like Wilson as a person, I even like him as a football player, I just don't believe you should give him the megacontract he wants and guarantee every penny. If he goes down and they have 20 mil per year tied into him for the next 5 years all fully guaranteed how will the team recover?

So it's Wilson's fault they have a top 5 defense and a top 5 running game? The guy makes plays. He took them to two Super Bowls already in his career.

Its not Wilsons fault the team is good...The guy does make plays. He did not take them to two superbowls the team took the team to two superbowls, that is the equivalent to saying that Sanchez deserved a big fully guaranteed contract because he carried the Jets to two AFC championship games, Sanchez road on the coattails of the Jets defense and run game.

And I think you are completely wrong. Seattle could replace Lynch and have no dropoff, but Wilson is the key to their entire team. Wilson is a massively underrated player.Switch Luck and Wilson and Wilson would put up similar to better numbers than Luck.

That said, I am not sure Seattle will go there. I believe that Carroll thinks he can coach someone up and may not want to lose the 3-4 key players it will cost to keep Wilson.

They could replace Lynch and have no dropoff with Adrian Peterson, Jamal Charles or Laveon Bell (maby) you cant just replace one of the best players at a position and expect no dropoff.

No way you swap Luck and Wilson and Wilson becomes better, Wilson is a good fit for the Seahawks because he is the best time manager in the NFL. Managing the clock is only a useful trait if your team is ahead of the other one or the game is a low scoring one where your team can easily take the lead (maby through a long Lynch touchdown because that guy sacrifices his body to make big plays). In this Scenario I would expect Lucks numbers to go down as he doesn't have as many viable targets at WR but the important number would go up and that is the number of wins.

Its not Wilsons fault the team is good...The guy does make plays. He did not take them to two superbowls the team took the team to two superbowls, that is the equivalent to saying that Sanchez deserved a big fully guaranteed contract because he carried the Jets to two AFC championship games, Sanchez road on the coattails of the Jets defense and run game.

Wilson deserves just as much credit as the defense and the running game, if not more. The guy constantly made plays since day 1. He's had terrible receivers since day 1 and never had a reliable tight end yet he has put up amazing numbers.

Wilson deserves just as much credit as the defense and the running game, if not more. The guy constantly made plays since day 1. He's had terrible receivers since day 1 and never had a reliable tight end yet he has put up amazing numbers.

I think his Recievers are underrated, he did have Harvin, Baldwin, Tate. As for a reliable TE he now has Grahm who is one of the best in the NFL. I am also not debating that Wilson deserves credit, I just think the defense and run game deserve more credit and that giving Wilson a 100m contract over 5 years all of which fully guaranteed (which is what Wilson is asking) would be a huge mistake.

A lot of people here giving Wilson more credit than he is worth, no they were not a winning team before Wilson came, their entire defense was just beginning to take shape when Wilson was drafted in 2012. Some notable players drafted in the two years before Wilson became a Seahawk 2010 Earl Thomas and Cam Chancellor, 2011 Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell, The two years before Wilson became a Seahawk they got basically their entire secondary which despite the common forum logic drafted players do sometimes take a year or two to develop properly. in 2012 the Seahawks draft Bruce Irvin , Bobby Wagner and Wilson pretty much solidifying them as one of the best Defenses in the NFL. In 2013 (Wilsons first superbowl appreance) the Seahawks get a new Defensive Coordinator by the name of Dann Quinn. In 2010 the Seahawks acquired Lynch via a trade giving him 2 years to get used to a new offense before drafting Wilson (2010 Lynch ran for 575 yards and 6 tds, 2011 1204 and 12 tds). Wilson is by far the best time manager and the best dual threat QB in the NFL and I do have a lot of respect for him, I do not believe however that he is worth 100m over 5 years with every penny guaranteed as I believe they have a winning team regardless of who plays the QB position.

As for the guy who claims he could swap places with Luck and be just as successful I believe that you are 110% wrong, Wilson would likely be terrible in Indy as they don't have the defense and run game to support his time management (he would be forced to throw the ball at times and when he is forced to throw he makes mistakes (see the last Seahawk offensive play of last years superbowl)) (I also believe there is a reason that Seattle throws the ball less than any other team in the NFL). Luck on the other hand I believe would have atleast 2 superbowl wins if he were given the keys to the Seahawks and likely would have had the home field advantage in the playoffs both seasons.

Totally disagree. Wilson is flat out a better overall QB than Luck,

Do you honestly think Wilson would have looked good on a team like the Jets last season with our secondary? The hawks throw the ball less than any team in the NFL because they don't have to make big plays often on offense to win a football game. Wilson is a good fit for the team as he can manage the clock better than anyone in the NFL but I believe the teams success has much more to do with the defense and Lynch than it does with Wilson.

Yes. Us having a bad defense inst going to make Wilson throw 250% more interceptions, which is about what he'd need to do to look like the QBs we've had.

So would Wilson if not for the most brain dead call in SB history. Wilson should have audibled out of it though,

Or thrown the ball where no one could get it seeing as they still had time on the clock, or ran the thing in himself. The call was terrible but for the 20m+ per year fully guaranteed that he is demanding he should have made a better decision.

The problem with what you're saying is the QB position is so insanely central in whether you win or lose in today's NFL and there are so few qb's who are actually good.  Yeah if Wilson played another position Seattle would take 2 1st's for him and run.

People made fun of the Ravens for giving Flacco a $100 million deal said it would cripple the rest of the roster because of the cap yet they made the playoffs last season and would have beaten the Patriots had they not cheated.

The Seahawks have had enough success in the draft last few years they could make Wilson the highest paid player and continue to be a contender.  Their division sucks - 49ers are finished, Rams don't have a qb, Cardinals are ok but Palmer gets hurt a lot.

Flacco did not demand nor get a 100% fully guaranteed contract, Flacco is also less likely to get injured because he is bigger and runs less. You give Wilson his fully guaranteed contract and he scrambles for a first down takes a big hit then turns into RG3 and your whole team wont be able to recover for the next 5 years. The kid is talented, he deserves a contract and I believe he will get one that is more than fair, it will not be 100% guaranteed they will let him walk before that happens if they are smart.

Not quite as much as you think, but a lot . Seattle can keep Wilson for three years at around $47 million ($3 million this year, $20 million estimated franchise tag next year and $24 the year after) but no guarantee if he got injured,  Now, there is a chance someone would give up 2 number 1s for Wilson under the tag, so Seattle is probably not as willing to go there as they will suggest in the negotiations. My guess is he gets slotted above Cam but below Rodgers. A Luck deal before Seattle signs Wilson could make things tough on Seattle. 

You think Seattle would tag him and allow someone to grab Wilson and sign him to a contract they couldn't match, even for 2 #1 picks? That would require hoping another - and much cheaper QB - is available in FA or via trade. Either that or that they want to go with a rookie again (which also means they'll have to trade up like crazy or overdraft someone, in miraculous hopes he will be as good as Wilson right away or piss away 1-3 (otherwise) contender seasons.

If he doesn't get the contract he wants, Wilson's best play is to hold out for as long as he can and return with just enough time to get this season accrued. He'll be just turning 27 when he returns from his holdout, meaning he's got another decade left in the league. He wants over $20 per season. If I'm him, no way I risk that for 1 more full season for less than his one-game compensation will be under his next deal.

He's definitely worth more then Cam or Tanny but none of them are worth close to what they're going to be getting paid.

I think I'd take Newton over Wilson if offered the choice straight up.  I also think Newton on that team easily wins at least the one if not both SBs.  Wilson is very good...but he's not necessarily better than Newton...he IS in a better team situation though. 

I don't think you automatically should pay your QB $20MM just because you make or even win a SB.  Ravens and Niners did it and they aren't getting back so fast.  I get Wilson wanting Newton money, but if he wants to beat Rodgers, I'm not sure you do that deal.

I think I'd take Newton over Wilson if offered the choice straight up.  I also think Newton on that team easily wins at least the one if not both SBs.  Wilson is very good...but he's not necessarily better than Newton...he IS in a better team situation though. 

I don't think you automatically should pay your QB $20MM just because you make or even win a SB.  Ravens and Niners did it and they aren't getting back so fast.  I get Wilson wanting Newton money, but if he wants to beat Rodgers, I'm not sure you do that deal.

Cam is certainly more athletic than Wilson but he makes far more mental mistakes and is prone to turn the ball over.

No matter what, that is a huge difference and why I would take Wilson over the talented Cam Newton...

You think Seattle would tag him and allow someone to grab Wilson and sign him to a contract they couldn't match, even for 2 #1 picks? That would require hoping another - and much cheaper QB - is available in FA or via trade. Either that or that they want to go with a rookie again (which also means they'll have to trade up like crazy or overdraft someone, in miraculous hopes he will be as good as Wilson right away or piss away 1-3 (otherwise) contender seasons.

If he doesn't get the contract he wants, Wilson's best play is to hold out for as long as he can and return with just enough time to get this season accrued. He'll be just turning 27 when he returns from his holdout, meaning he's got another decade left in the league. He wants over $20 per season. If I'm him, no way I risk that for 1 more full season for less than his one-game compensation will be under his next deal.

Not to mention he could always go play baseball and get paid more to sit on a bench.

Indeed Woody said

"YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH TEBOW"

Sounds like a man who was fully onboard to me :)

That quote is taken way out of context.

Tanny has gone on record multiple times taking responsibility for the tebow acquisition. I still think woody is one of the best owners in the sport and we should be blessed to have him. He's a brilliant businessman and wants to win.

I think I'd take Newton over Wilson if offered the choice straight up. I also think Newton on that team easily wins at least the one if not both SBs. Wilson is very good...but he's not necessarily better than Newton...he IS in a better team situation though.

I don't think you automatically should pay your QB $20MM just because you make or even win a SB. Ravens and Niners did it and they aren't getting back so fast. I get Wilson wanting Newton money, but if he wants to beat Rodgers, I'm not sure you do that deal.

Newton has the most physical ability out of the three but I think Wilson is the smartest and best overall.

Tanny has gone on record multiple times taking responsibility for the tebow acquisition. I still think woody is one of the best owners in the sport and we should be blessed to have him. He's a brilliant businessman and wants to win.

The troll gods see you as amature.

Ok Woody Johnson..

You believe that the person who his own family wont let get near the family business is not a good owner but a "BRILLIANT BUSSINESSMAN?"...

Really?

Look Jobs and Gates are examples of brilliant business persons..

Why even Woody wouldn't sign onto your foolishness. 

In fact if Woody dreamed he was as good at business as the men I mentioned above he should wake up and apologize!!!

Woody Johnson a Brilliant Businessman..

Good Grief!!!

Ok Woody Johnson..

You believe that the person who his own family wont let get near the family business is not a good owner but a "BRILLIANT BUSSINESSMAN?"...

Really?

In fact if Woody dreamed he was as good at business as the men I mentioned above he should wake up and apologize!!!

Good Grief!!!

Woody Johnson is a moron. He absolutely was the push for the Tebow trade Tanny fell on the sword to show the owners he's a soldier.

Newton has the most physical ability out of the three but I think Wilson is the smartest and best overall.

Alex Smith is smarter than Wilson, he brings less to the table but he is certainly smarter and safer with the football.

What? He wasn't one of the options dipsh*t.

Who were the options then? you said Wilson is the smartest and best overall which I would think implies you were talking of just more than Wilson and Newton because if you were talking of only those two QBs it would have been proper to say Wilson is smarter (not smartest) and a better player not (best overall). If it is just between Newton and Wilson I would take Wilson because I agree he is better than Newton.

Who were the options then? you said Wilson is the smartest and best overall which I would think implies you were talking of just more than Wilson and Newton because if you were talking of only those two QBs it would have been proper to say Wilson is smarter (not smartest) and a better player not (best overall). If it is just between Newton and Wilson I would take Wilson because I agree he is better than Newton.

It was from earlier posts. Ryan Tannehill (sp), Cam Fig Newton and Wilson.

Ok Woody Johnson..

Really?

Good Grief!!!

I lean in this direction.... A little strong, but prolly on the right path.

I agree.. Just having fun..

Woody Johnson no matter what we say as fans has been an improvement of 100% over Leon Hess.

In truth, the Jets have been an exciting and relevant team for the vast majority of time since Woody has owned the New York Jets. 

And the key is that Woody is trying.  Woody has not been making mistakes because of a lack of desire, he wants to win and is trying to do so, for real.

We are much better than we were in the past anyone who knows or remembers the Kotite years knows of what I speak.....

Archived