RUSSELL WILSON ASKS SEAHAWKS TO TRY AGAIN WITH NEW CONTRACT

jeaniec

They should play their backup and show Wilson that the teams wins have more to do with their defense and run game than him. Show him how much more valuable Lynch is to the team than Wilson is. When it comes time to sit down and write the contract they should replay his superbowl losing interception on loop in front of him and then ask him why he thinks he is worth more money than anyone in the NFL (if im not mistaken he wants it all 100% guaranteed also).

I have a lot of respect for Wilson as a person I have heard lots of stories of him doing great things outside of football but by no means is he worth paying more than anyone in the NFL, I honestly believe the team can win without him.

Yeah except with a really good defense and Lynch before Wilson this was a below .500 team. Back to back 7-9. With Lynch. And the D

After Wilson they're a top team, 36-12 and have gone to back to back SBs, winning one. How many did the D and Lynch go to before Wilson?

But fans just recite over and over that it's Lynch and Wilson going for the ride as if it's even close to true. It's the other way around.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Woody is hardly Paul Allen, but I will say one thing. He at least listens to the fans. While he has made his share of crappy moves, Woody does bend his ear to the ground when we start to rumble. I can think of half a dozen NFL owners who couldn't give a crap what the their fans think.

Woody is hardly Paul Allen, but I will say one thing. He at least listens to the fans. While he has made his share of crappy moves, Woody does bend his ear to the ground when we start to rumble. I can think of half a dozen NFL owners who couldn't give a crap what the their fans think.

Yes....  but I am reminded of the saying..."Listen to the fans, and you'll be sitting with them".

The reality is we need a real QB and just have had shilty luck.   Pennington and Sanchez showed promise, we waited and nothing happened.  well, Then REX showed he couldn't develop a QB.  Well...15 years later and we still have no QB,  

Woody has tried..he simply meddles too much IMO.  But hes better than at least half the owners and is better than HESS.

Alex Smith is smarter than Wilson, he brings less to the table but he is certainly smarter and safer with the football.

Yeah it takes a genius to throw to the running back 30x a game. How many td passes to WR's did Smith have last season?

Paul Allen is also a brilliant businessman and Woody is a guy with a

Paul Allen is also a brilliant businessman and Woody is a dope with a trust fund who trades for Tebow

Yeah except with a really good defense and Lynch before Wilson this was a below .500 team. Back to back 7-9. With Lynch. And the D

After Wilson they're a top team, 36-12 and have gone to back to back SBs, winning one. How many did the D and Lynch go to before Wilson?

But fans just recite over and over that it's Lynch and Wilson going for the ride as if it's even close to true. It's the other way around.

Since starting with the Hawks Wilson threw for 72 touchdowns which breaks down to an average of about 24 per year he threw 26 interceptions which breaks down to roughly 1 interception per 3 touchdowns which really isn't terrible, he had 11 rushing touchdowns and fumbled the ball 27 times lucky for him he only lost those fumbles 8 times. 83 total touchdowns with 34 total turnovers making the turnover to td ratio something like 40% which is still decent but not elite. Lynch had 43 touchdowns with 4 turnovers over the past three years (since Wilson entered the NFL) which is more than half of the amount of touchdowns Wilson threw. The Seahawk defense has 59 interceptions, 60 forced fumbles and 6 touchdowns since 2012 giving the ball back to Wilson nearly twice as many times as he threw the ball away to the other team.

I would never say Wilson isn't talented and I would take him on the Jets in a heartbeat but I do have my doubts that without the Seahawk Defense giving him lots of opportunities to score and without Lynch getting nearly half the Seahawks total touchdowns that Wilson would be considered a great QB.

Yeah it takes a genius to throw to the running back 30x a game. How many td passes to WR's did Smith have last season?

He was smart enough to not throw the ball to them seeing as their best receiver was Bowe. their running back is the best player on their team and if not the best than close to the best RB in the NFL. They honestly had one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL last year on top of that Alex Smith isn't an exciting QB who is going to throw 40 tds per year, most of his throws are safe ones where his guys can get them and the opposing team cant. I honestly believe he is the safest QB in the league.

He was smart enough to not throw the ball to them seeing as their best receiver was Bowe. their running back is the best player on their team and if not the best than close to the best RB in the NFL. They honestly had one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL last year on top of that Alex Smith isn't an exciting QB who is going to throw 40 tds per year, most of his throws are safe ones where his guys can get them and the opposing team cant. I honestly believe he is the safest QB in the league.

0 TD's to Wide Receivers.  He's conservative to a fault, and it costs his teams games.  Eventually a QB needs to be able to put a team on his back one time or another.  You can't do that with dumpoffs.  It's the old Chad Pennington argument rehashed. 

Safe QB's are the worst kinds of QB's to have, because they have you believing when they're picking apart bad defenses but leave you with a whole bunch of excuses when he fails to get you playoff victories.  The Chiefs are the worst team in NFL history at drafting QB's so to them he was a savior, but you're not winning a title with him. 

You say that like it is a good thing.

Since starting with the Hawks Wilson threw for 72 touchdowns which breaks down to an average of about 24 per year he threw 26 interceptions which breaks down to roughly 1 interception per 3 touchdowns which really isn't terrible, he had 11 rushing touchdowns and fumbled the ball 27 times lucky for him he only lost those fumbles 8 times. 83 total touchdowns with 34 total turnovers making the turnover to td ratio something like 40% which is still decent but not elite. Lynch had 43 touchdowns with 4 turnovers over the past three years (since Wilson entered the NFL) which is more than half of the amount of touchdowns Wilson threw. The Seahawk defense has 59 interceptions, 60 forced fumbles and 6 touchdowns since 2012 giving the ball back to Wilson nearly twice as many times as he threw the ball away to the other team.

I would never say Wilson isn't talented and I would take him on the Jets in a heartbeat but I do have my doubts that without the Seahawk Defense giving him lots of opportunities to score and without Lynch getting nearly half the Seahawks total touchdowns that Wilson would be considered a great QB.

I have my doubts Seattle's defense would be giving up nearly as few points per season without Wilson turning it over so infrequently. They weren't an elite defensive unit until he became the QB.

The Chiefs are the worst team in NFL history at drafting QB's so to them he was a savior, but you're not winning a title with him. 

I've never actually heard this before about the Chiefs...but it made me think for a second because other than Aaron Murray and Brodie Croyle, I honestly couldnt think of any QB's they've drafted in my life time. That's because they've only drafted 4 QB's since 1997.  Croyle being the highest drafted in the 3rd round!!!!  That's just insane for a franchise starving for a QB, they've only drafted 4 in almost 20 years??? The last time they took a QB in the 1st round was 1983.  83!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.  Crazy.

I've never actually heard this before about the Chiefs...but it made me think for a second because other than Aaron Murray and Brodie Croyle, I honestly couldnt think of any QB's they've drafted in my life time. That's because they've only drafted 4 QB's since 1997.  Croyle being the highest drafted in the 3rd round!!!!  That's just insane for a franchise starving for a QB, they've only drafted 4 in almost 20 years??? The last time they took a QB in the 1st round was 1983.  83!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow.  Crazy.

I think they were so snakebitten by taking a "proven winner" like Todd Blackledge out of Penn St in the most loaded QB draft of all-time over guys like Kelly, Marino, and even Ken O'Brien (not a realistic pick at 7 but still had a very nice career) that they didn't want to even try after that.  They've gone with journeymen and retreads ever since. 

I wonder what Wilson would get on the open market. Probably everything he is asking for. It only takes one QB starved franchise to open the checkbook and guys like Wilson rarely (never?) hit FA in the prime of their careers. He has the leverage here. Besides Marshawn is getting up there and the trade for Graham tells me that Wilson will continue to do more and more, not less.

Lynch got there two years before Wilson did and his first season with the Hawks was less than impressive, his second year (1 year before Wilson arrived) was good but their defense (particularly their secondary) was young and just beginning to become what they are, they also didn't have Dann Quinn as a coordinator until 2013 (Wilsons first superbowl) I will say again I really like Wilson as a person, I even like him as a football player, I just don't believe you should give him the megacontract he wants and guarantee every penny. If he goes down and they have 20 mil per year tied into him for the next 5 years all fully guaranteed how will the team recover?

I think the team realizes how valuable Wilson really is. He is a great team-man, no ego whatsoever and the team unites around him. His success is no accident. As far as the money goes, they can work around the contract - if some players have to go, then so be it, but i'm sure a few wouldn't mind taking lesser money to play on a team with a friendly locker room. You're talking about one of the most closely-knit teams in the league. With Lynch getting older, securing Wilson's future becomes an even bigger priority. Imagine a year or two down the line, when Lynch hangs 'em up, you are running that offense through Wilson's arm.

I don't think anyone is worth such a massive contract but In relative terms, he is worth every penny. Look at all the big QB deals Newton and Flacco got. The market sets the price and agents look to the market as a starting point.

I wonder what Wilson would get on the open market. Probably everything he is asking for. It only takes one QB starved franchise to open the checkbook and guys like Wilson rarely (never?) hit FA in the prime of their careers. He has the leverage here. Besides Marshawn is getting up there and the trade for Graham tells me that Wilson will continue to do more and more, not less.

If money is all Wilson cares about then he would end up with a sh*tty-a$$ team.  You're right that Wilson has the leverage, but Seattle also can tell Wilson that he needs to meet them in the middle a bit so they can keep some of the great talent he's had around him.  Otherwise he'll get exposed a bit as a really good QB but not one on the Rodgers level.

Personally, as incredibly unlikely as it is, I would love to see Wilson be allowed to hit the open market just so we can see what happens.  We've never seen a young QB with anywhere close to the market value he has hit free agency.  It'd be nuts.

If money is all Wilson cares about then he would end up with a sh*tty-a$$ team.  You're right that Wilson has the leverage, but Seattle also can tell Wilson that he needs to meet them in the middle a bit so they can keep some of the great talent he's had around him.  Otherwise he'll get exposed a bit as a really good QB but not one on the Rodgers level.

Personally, as incredibly unlikely as it is, I would love to see Wilson be allowed to hit the open market just so we can see what happens.  We've never seen a young QB with anywhere close to the market value he has hit free agency.  It'd be nuts.

Wilson's ideal spot is in SEA that's true. He is a great young player, but has had the luxury of developing on a team that hasn't required him to do it all. You put him on the 2014 Colts and he would be considered a Ryan Tannenhill type player--talented with potential, but who hasn't shown it yet. Of course that didn't stop Tannenbaum from throwing huge money at Tannenhill...

Agree it would be crazy to see a player like him his FA. Just don't see it happening. A compromise is likely.

Wow.  Crazy.

In 1983 they took Todd Blackledge over Marino with the 7th pick in the draft.. Oh wait your a youngster never mind..LOL

They should play their backup and show Wilson that the teams wins have more to do with their defense and run game than him. Show him how much more valuable Lynch is to the team than Wilson is. When it comes time to sit down and write the contract they should replay his superbowl losing interception on loop in front of him and then ask him why he thinks he is worth more money than anyone in the NFL (if im not mistaken he wants it all 100% guaranteed also).

I have a lot of respect for Wilson as a person I have heard lots of stories of him doing great things outside of football but by no means is he worth paying more than anyone in the NFL, I honestly believe the team can win without him.

Just to put this in perspective.  You think the Seahawks would win with the Geno Smith of the last 2 years?  I think you are really underestimating how smart and ball secure Wilson is.  He may not be the flashiest QB through the air but thats only b/c he doesn't have to be.  I'd LOVE to see Wilson on a team that is less dependent on their d and run game, I would bet he would still have great success.

The guy is just one of the smartest QBs in the game.  He rarely ever takes a hit for a qb that runs the ball.  He has amazing awareness of exactly the amount of yards he needs, he has excellent time management skills.  I mean i don't know what he needs to do for people to show him some respect.  He is one the best comeback QBs in the league in his short tenure.  He's only going into what, his 4th year in the league and he's gone to 2 superbowls.

Not saying that he carries any team on his back, we don't know if he can (although imo I think he can) but don't forget the hawks had that D and Lynch before Wilson and they weren't knocking on any superbowl doors.

edit: I'm really late to this thread and my questions above seem to have been somewhat answered so no worries if there isn't a retreaded response to this post.

In 1983 they took Todd Blackledge over Marino with the 7th pick in the draft.. Oh wait your a youngster never mind..LOL

I was 4.  The only reason I know this happened is because of the Elway to Marino 30 for 30.  haha

I have my doubts Seattle's defense would be giving up nearly as few points per season without Wilson turning it over so infrequently. They weren't an elite defensive unit until he became the QB.

That is probably one of the best points that someone has made in defense of Wilson, I agree he does help his defense by turning the ball over infrequently. Their defense was not elite before Wilson became the QB but their defense was also very young before he came (their entire secondary was there for a maximum of two years before Wilson).

That is probably one of the best points that someone has made in defense of Wilson, I agree he does help his defense by turning the ball over infrequently. Their defense was not elite before Wilson became the QB but their defense was also very young before he came (their entire secondary was there for a maximum of two years before Wilson).

You can get old really fast if your QB does lots of 3 and outs and keeps turning over the ball.. :winking0001:

All this mambo jumbo voodoo numbers and still no response to why the same D, coaching staff, a younger Lynch etc and Seattle went 7-9, 7-9 back to back before Wilson and 39-12 since.

Stop trying to find numbers to prove he isn't that good because he's the reason why they are.

All this mambo jumbo voodoo numbers and still no response to why the same D, coaching staff, a younger Lynch etc and Seattle went 7-9, 7-9 back to back before Wilson and 39-12 since.

Stop trying to find numbers to prove he isn't that good because he's the reason why they are.

The secondary portion of the defense was there but for a maximum of 2 years and were developing. some of their defensive line and lb corps came either with Wilson or the year after. As far as their coaching staff...Pete Carol was there yes...Dann Quinn became the Seahawk defensive coordinator in 2012 (the same year as Wilson) that could also be a reason their defense didn't look as sharp prior to Wilson coming. I do think Wilson is a good player and he is a great leader on and off the field which I believe I mentioned more than a couple of times in this thread I just think the defense and running game are more important to the team than their QB.

I've never actually heard this before about the Chiefs...but it made me think for a second because other than Aaron Murray and Brodie Croyle, I honestly couldnt think of any QB's they've drafted in my life time. That's because they've only drafted 4 QB's since 1997. Croyle being the highest drafted in the 3rd round!!!! That's just insane for a franchise starving for a QB, they've only drafted 4 in almost 20 years??? The last time they took a QB in the 1st round was 1983. 83!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Crazy.

Yep.

The Chiefs always went the trade/free agency route for their QBs.

You're seriously blaming Dwayne Bowe for Alex Smith not being able to throw outside the numbers or downfield?

Geno Smith threw more td's to WR's last season.

The secondary portion of the defense was there but for a maximum of 2 years and were developing. some of their defensive line and lb corps came either with Wilson or the year after. As far as their coaching staff...Pete Carol was there yes...Dann Quinn became the Seahawk defensive coordinator in 2012 (the same year as Wilson) that could also be a reason their defense didn't look as sharp prior to Wilson coming. I do think Wilson is a good player and he is a great leader on and off the field which I believe I mentioned more than a couple of times in this thread I just think the defense and running game are more important to the team than their QB.

So important yet they couldn't even have a winning record with that team before Wilson. Their offensive line can't pass protect either.

Wilson isn't good. He's excellent.

Ok, forget it. Lynch and the D go 7-9, 7-9 immediately before Wilson and then turn it around and go 36-12. And you're still going to stick to Lynch and the D makes Wilson. From 7 wins per to 12 is a huge difference. You have to give him a hell of a lot more credit than you're giving him. He's the Seahawks.

Archived