JAWS likes the Jets Chances With Geno

njjetman

Geno Smithicon-article-link.gif has a new coordinator and some new weapons.  And after experiencing the highs and lows of two NFL seasons, the Jets hope Smith can become a more consistent signal caller in 2015.

“I think Geno, when I’ve looked at him now for a couple of years in the NFL, I see a quarterback that’s getting better,” said ESPN analyst Ron Jaworksi. “He’s forgotten the mistakes and I still remember going to Morgantown, West Virginia for his Pro Day and outside of Robert Griffin III – it was one of the best pro days I’ve seen. So he can make every throw, he can do everything it takes to be an NFL quarterback. It’s just about consistency.”

In Year 2, Smith’s improved his completion % (55.8 to 59.7) while cutting down his sack (43 to 28) and interception (21 to 13) totals. Over the season’s final quarter, his 105.3 passer rating ranked third in football as he completed 65.1% of his passes with six touchdowns and just two interceptions.

“It’s now Year 3 and believe me we put these guys way before their time out there on the field and we expect a Peyton Manning performance. It doesn’t happen,” Jaworksi said. “I see a nice growth every single year in Geno and I like the future of the Jets with Geno Smith at quarterback.”

Increased size on the outside should help the offensive unit climb the ladder in 2015. Brandon Marshallicon-article-link.gif, 6’4”, 230, and Eric Deckericon-article-link.gif, 6’3”, 214, will give new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey matchup advantages on a weekly basis.

“Brandon Marshall is an outstanding short to intermediate receiver, he’s a chain mover,” said NFL Films senior producer Greg Cosell. “He’s big, he’s physical. He’s one of those receivers now, which the NFL has a lot of, where they’re essentially open when they’re covered because he has a big body, strong hands and he can shield defenders. So you can feel comfortable throwing him the ball in critical situations. They’re big on the outside. Eric Decker is another 6’3” wide receiver, so they’re big on the outside which I think helps a quarterback like Geno Smith.”

Last season, the Jets finished 28th in scoring offense (17.7 ppg) and 32nd in red zone efficiency (36.2%). Enter Marshall, an ultra-productive and ultra-competitive wideout. He has 65 career TD receptions and has totaled 31 the past three seasons.  Marshall will be paired up with Eric Decker, who finished with 962 receiving yards in his first season with the Green & White and has totaled 29 TD over his past three campaigns. The Jets have more answers in the red zone and will be better equipped to score inside the 20 when the field shrinks.

“They’ve certainly added weapons. They brought in Brandon Marshall, they would expect Jace Amaroicon-article-link.gif – who they drafted in the second round – to improve and become the receiving tight end they anticipated he would become when he was drafted. So there are some weapons in place,” Cosell said. “They have a good group of backs – maybe not one guy who stands out as a so-called foundation back, but a very good group of backs. I’ve always been a big Stevan Ridleyicon-article-link.gif fan, so I think they have people in place on offense.”

Despite often playing behind in 2014, the Jets still managed to finish third in rushing (142.5 ypg). Former Seahawk James Carpentericon-article-link.gif signed in free agency and is expected to start at LG. Chris Ivoryicon-article-link.gif paced the club with 821 yards last season and added a career-high six TDs on the ground. Chan Gailey wants a balanced attack and he has stressed the limiting of sacks and turnovers throughout the spring. Last year, the Jets T24 in sacks allowed (47) and finished 19th in giveaways (24).

“What I like about Chan is he’s kind of an old school type of guy,” Jaworksi said. “It’s going to be about fundamentals first – protect the football, ball security. Don’t beat yourself number one, but Chan also has the ability to open up the offense. So I think what you’ll see is a guarded approach early in the season. Once he really understands his football team on the offensive side of the ball as the season wears on, he’ll get better at putting his personnel in better position to make plays.”

Smith, who will lead the first-team offense in training camp, finished minicamp with a pair of strong efforts. But head coach Todd Bowles characterized his play as “up and down” throughout the spring and will want to see more from the third-year passer once workouts resume.

“When you watch Geno Smith, you see a lot of incredible plays, some amazing plays, some great reads, some great throws and what you have to do is do more of that,” Jaworksi said. “And I also see some inconsistent throws, some bad decisions. You have to have less of those.”

who the hell is jaws watching. time to get them lenses re-sized

Last Quarter of the season he ranked 3rd in QB rating.

I hope he can pick up where he left off.

I am optimistic about Geno with Chan calling the plays & the new weapons, Marshal & Smith.

But this is his last shot. He has to show more improvement this year or he'll be playing for Chip Kelly

with his buddies Sanchez & Tebow. next year.

Then again there is always REX and his liking for Jets Castoffs.

But I am Optimistic

If Geno had a bad last Quarter of the season the Geno Haters would be all over him for it.

But because he ended the season well...they over  look this.

The way I look at it is what have you done for us lately. And lately he played well (last 4 games of the season)

If Geno Started off well & ended the season on a bad note, I would not be optimistic about the future.

But the arrow is pointing up and for now Geno deserves to be starter day one, unless he plays terrible in training camp.

"Its just about consistency"

Really Jaws ? Geno has not done much of anything good nor has he even approached consistency. Lets see him make some good decisions under pressure before we start talking about consistency. I don't remember Geno doing much of anything under pressure other than making bad plays and poor decisions

If we take out the perfect QB rating game against the fish week 17 how do his stats look? Is the arrow still pointing up?

I said at the time that the week 17 game was the worst thing for us because it will sucker our coaching staff into buying into Geno's potential. I didn't really even believe it because I thought no coaching staff would be suckered into believing it (and I'm still not convinced Bowles and Chan are). But these articles do make me a little nervous. Geno is garbage.

Not Ron, "Kellen Clemens is the best Q.B in the Draft" Jaworksi

Before the 2006 NFL Draft, Ron Jaworski, the once hyperintelligent analyst turned Monday Night Football yelling machine, ranked the four top quarterbacks in the draft as such:

1. Matt Leinart

2. Kellen Clemens

3. Vince Young

4. Jay Cutler

So yeah he knows what he's taking about...

Before the 2006 NFL Draft, Ron Jaworski, the once hyperintelligent analyst turned Monday Night Football yelling machine, ranked the four top quarterbacks in the draft as such:

1. Matt Leinart

2. Kellen Clemens

3. Vince Young

4. Jay Cutler

Nailed it! Lol

1. Matt Leinart

2. Kellen Clemens

3. Vince Young

4. Jay Cutler

To be honest, he wasn't that far off in that statement. Leinart and Young have both been out of the league for a while now, while Clemens has at least stuck around as a backup.

Cutler is the only one who has had a better pro career than he has.  

That turned out to be a pretty sad crop of QBs, though.

1. Matt Leinart

2. Kellen Clemens

3. Vince Young

4. Jay Cutler

The failed Leinart prediction wasn't Jaworski's fault. Leinart was brought onto the field without proper weapons. Clearly, no other QB could have had success with the Cardinals.

1. Matt Leinart

2. Kellen Clemens

3. Vince Young

4. Jay Cutler

So unless someone is right all the time, their opinion is horrible.

Man I am happy my predictions aren't televised.

since you are not paid for yours you never have to be right.  Thats why I am also not right a lot.   :winking0001:

Jaws is paid for one thing, talking about QB's. 

since you are not paid for yours you never have to be right.

Jaws is paid for one thing, talking about QB's. 

I'll also add that NFL GMs are paid to be right and you can cherry pick their failures to argue they all suck at their jobs. Player evaluation is a tough business.

No it may be a little hyperbole, but basically I'm saying Jaw has a track record of being a mile off.

I want Geno to succeed, but although he has all the physical tools, it's the most important mental side where he lacks. I'd Settle for a QB that doesn't turn that ball over 30 times plus a year.

No it may be a little hyperbole, but basically I'm saying Jaw has a track record of being a mile off.

I want Geno to succeed, but although he has all the physical tools, it's the most important mental side where he lacks. I'd Settle for a QB that doesn't turn that ball over 30 times plus a year.

EVERY personnel man in the NFL, and EVERY talking head, has plenty of instances of being a mile off. If we threw out these guys after one miss, none would make it passed their first draft. You have to take these talking heads for what they are: they point out the plusses and minuses of the prospects, and then make some educated guesses.

Ozzie Newsome drafted Kyle Boller in Round 1 ahead of Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Nnamdi Asomugah, Osi Umenyiora, Anquan Boldin and Jason Witten. He sucks!!!!! See how easy that is?

EVERY personnel man in the NFL, and EVERY talking head, has plenty of instances of being a mile off. If we threw out these guys after one miss, none would make it passed their first draft. You have to take these talking heads for what they are: they point out the plusses and minuses of the prospects, and then make some educated guesses.

Ozzie Newsome drafted Kyle Boller in Round 1 ahead of Larry Johnson, Willis McGahee, Nnamdi Asomugah, Osi Umenyiora, Anquan Boldin and Jason Witten. He sucks!!!!! See how easy that is?

Ozzie Newsome isn't Ron Jaworski , yes everyone makes mistakes, some get it wrong a lot more. Mr Jaworski's track record and "Geno is the man!" Comments, tend to lead on to certain conclusions.

I am optimistic about Geno with Chan calling the plays & the new weapons, Marshal & Smith.

But this is his last shot. He has to show more improvement this year or he'll be playing for Chip Kelly

But I am Optimistic

If Geno had a bad last Quarter of the season the Geno Haters would be all over him for it.

The way I look at it is what have you done for us lately. And lately he played well (last 4 games of the season)

If Geno Started off well & ended the season on a bad note, I would not be optimistic about the future.

But the arrow is pointing up and for now Geno deserves to be starter day one, unless he plays terrible in training camp.

fwiw, I would like nothing better than for geno to seize the starting job and become an adequate starter for the jets. could it happen? sure. I just think the odds are stacked against him. I only commented on the thread because I don't ever remember thinking to myself "wow. that was an amazing and incredible play by geno". never mind a lot of incredible and amazing plays, as jaws put it

Ozzie Newsome isn't Ron Jaworski , yes everyone makes mistakes, some get it wrong a lot more. Mr Jaworski's track record and "Geno is the man!" Comments, tend to lead on to certain conclusions.

Sounds like you just dislike the man, which is OK. But it will take more than being wrong about one position in a draft 9 years ago to convince me that he is any worse than any other professional talent evaluator or commentator.

Jaws said a year ago that Colin Kaepernick will be one of the greatest QBs of all time.

You believe what you want but I can't take this guy seriously.

And Kellen Clemens would be the best QB from the 2006 draft.

That was the last time I listened to Jaws. 

If we take out the perfect QB rating game against the fish week 17 how do his stats look? Is the arrow still pointing up?

I said at the time that the week 17 game was the worst thing for us because it will sucker our coaching staff into buying into Geno's potential. I didn't really even believe it because I thought no coaching staff would be suckered into believing it (and I'm still not convinced Bowles and Chan are). But these articles do make me a little nervous. Geno is garbage.

And what if we take out his worst game? what does the arrow look like?      Lol I like how haters pick and choose which games they want to count by taking out good games but leaving the bad ones... 

You people are crazy.. The guy was a rookie and reduced his interceptions his second year and didnt get a lot of plays to throw enough touchdown..   The Guy has talent and it's the coaches job to help develop his skills..  He is ONLY going into his third year..   Let's not forget he started his rookie year when he wasnt ready and the rest of the pieces that can contribute to his success such as OL and receivers, Coaches and play calling also sucked.   

You people are crazy.. The guy was a rookie and reduced his interceptions his second year and didnt get a lot of plays to throw enough touchdown..   The Guy has talent and it's the coaches job to help develop his skills..  He is ONLY going into his third year..   Let's not forget he started his rookie year when he wasnt ready and the rest of the pieces that can contribute to his success such as OL and receivers, Coaches and play calling also sucked.   

this sounds like a "everybodys fault but genos" kinda response to me. similar to what a lot of guys where posting about sanchez

And what if we take out his worst game? what does the arrow look like?      Lol I like how haters pick and choose which games they want to count by taking out good games but leaving the bad ones... 

That is exactly what I said in my last post....haters want to only look at the bad.

If Geno only played good in his last game that would be different, but he strung 4-5 good games

together at the end of the season. This is not coincidence. He just needs to build on the

last 5 games. History has shown even very good QB's take 2-3 years for the light to come on Akiman, Elway, Eli, Payton, to name a few.

Yes there are a few that play Good from the start....Luck, Brady. But they played in pro style offences in college.

Rogers even had few years on the bench before he started.

I am not crowning Geno great because of the last 5 games, but he certainly showed me enough to give him

another shot and be optimistic!.

But I am Optimistic

Thank you so much!!!

I am not a Geno fan or apologist but I find it very interesting that some of the same posters who were saying "lets rush Geno onto the field because Sanchez sucks" are unwilling to admit that i) Geno was rushed onto the field to soon and ii) the talent on the Jets when he has been on the field has to often been CFL quality.

The fact that Jaws gives Geno a chance, not a guarantee, to be good seems to inflame irrational responses.  Now people are suggesting that Jaws doesn't know anything.

To hate on Geno just to hate on him doesn't make sense in my opinion...

Archived