JAWS likes the Jets Chances With Geno

njjetman

Sounds like you just dislike the man, which is OK. But it will take more than being wrong about one position in a draft 9 years ago to convince me that he is any worse than any other professional talent evaluator or commentator.

Sounds like you like the guy which is OK, I'm yet to find an evaluation he's done on a Q.B that's accurate.

I don't remember reading this ever

That's because it didn't happen Sanchez getting hurt in a preseason made it happen.. Geno showed nothing in preseason in 2013 that showed him to be better.. Fact was the reason Sanchez was playing in the game he got hurt in was Geno was out with a ankle injury..

Sounds like you like the guy which is OK, I'm yet to find an evaluation he's done on a Q.B that's accurate.

I don't like or dislike him--I just think it's funny when people cherry pick a few examples of "bad" evals when these guys have to evaluate basically every prospect for their jobs. I also don't think the value these guys add is telling us who will be good or bad, but in how teams are looking at them. The "experts" are an important insight into how teams view the draft prospects.

It can go both ways though: "Manziel may fall. I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you. I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." That Jaws! What a genius!

So Ron Jaworski thinks the Jets are good with Geno Smith at Quarterback. We shall see about that. I guess Jaworksi thinks since Geno has the receivers to throw to and the 3rd best offensive coordinator Chan Gailey they might have a chance. It's good to here some optimism from a Espn Football analyst about the Jets of all teams.

My problem with Jaworski isn't that he was wrong about Clemens.  It is that when I went back to find the quotes of him gushing about Clemens being the best QB in the '06 draft class I had trouble finding them outside of Jets websites, but I had no trouble finding similar gushing about all the others.  It's like Gruden's QB Camp - everybody is a "sharp kid." 

That's because it didn't happen Sanchez getting hurt in a preseason made it happen.. Geno showed nothing in preseason in 2013 that showed him to be better.. Fact was the reason Sanchez was playing in the game he got hurt in was Geno was out with a ankle injury..

I respectfully disagree.

Come on Man...

There were plenty of fans who wanted just such an outcome.  Geno should never have been in a competition for the starting QB job in his first year period.  He wasn't ready. 

And the Jets, read Idzik and many fans were pushing Geno as the starter. 

Because neither you nor I were pushing Geno to start doesn't mean folks weren't saying he shouldn't start..

Indeed please read the articles I have linked below.

Not only were fans pushing for Geno to start but MM according to reports wanted Geno to start as a rookie as well.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/8/30/4677648/marty-mornhinweg-prefers-geno-smith

http://fansided.com/2013/05/13/new-york-jets-smitten-with-geno-smith/

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/6/5280232/mark-sanchez-2013-and-beyond

When Smith was drafted, competition was implied, he was drafted to win starting position:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/move-sanchez-jets-select-qb-geno-smith-nfl-draft-article-1.1328697

Indeed I am not reinventing something here plenty of fans wanted to cut Sanchez and have no other option but Geno as the article clearly states and this was BEFORE they knew that Sanchez' injury was season ending.

I could further link the hundreds of posts from JI as well but it simply isn't relevant anymore.

The idea that no one was rushing Smith onto the field is disingenuous and factually inaccurate.

You people are crazy.. The guy was a rookie and reduced his interceptions his second year and didnt get a lot of plays to throw enough touchdown..   The Guy has talent and it's the coaches job to help develop his skills..  He is ONLY going into his third year..   Let's not forget he started his rookie year when he wasnt ready and the rest of the pieces that can contribute to his success such as OL and receivers, Coaches and play calling also sucked.   

Welcome to the world of trying to get people to listen to reason. Everyone thinks that QBs like Andrew Luck are common place.  They aren't.  I'm on your side, the kid is extremely young, has a ton of talent.  He was thrown into the FIRE of  starting in the NFL with no weapons and not even knowing how to operate out of the Singleback formation....but he should've succeeded.  It's stupid but it's the world we live in, instant gratification.  Hell I can't even complain about that last part, I'm considering signing up for a dry cleaning delivery service.  

Welcome to the world of trying to get people to listen to reason. Everyone thinks that QBs like Andrew Luck are common place. They aren't. I'm on your side, the kid is extremely young, has a ton of talent. He was thrown into the FIRE of starting in the NFL with no weapons and not even knowing how to operate out of the Singleback formation....but he should've succeeded. It's stupid but it's the world we live in, instant gratification. Hell I can't even complain about that last part, I'm considering signing up for a dry cleaning delivery service.

Lmfao!

Thank you so much!!!

I am not a Geno fan or apologist but I find it very interesting that some of the same posters who were saying "lets rush Geno onto the field because Sanchez sucks" are unwilling to admit that i) Geno was rushed onto the field to soon and ii) the talent on the Jets when he has been on the field has to often been CFL quality.

The fact that Jaws gives Geno a chance, not a guarantee, to be good seems to inflame irrational responses. Now people are suggesting that Jaws doesn't know anything.

To hate on Geno just to hate on him doesn't make sense in my opinion...

I will absolutely grant you both points. I still think Geno stinks though of course I'm rooting for him to be great.

i) Geno was rushed onto the field to soon and ii) the talent on the Jets when he has been on the field has to often been CFL quality

You people are crazy.. The guy was a rookie and reduced his interceptions his second year and didnt get a lot of plays to throw enough touchdown.. The Guy has talent and it's the coaches job to help develop his skills.. He is ONLY going into his third year.. Let's not forget he started his rookie year when he wasnt ready and the rest of the pieces that can contribute to his success such as OL and receivers, Coaches and play calling also sucked.

No, they are just fans . Second year quarterbacks who struggle, may go on to be competent or great. But one thing is for sure, whether they stink or not, the majority of the fan base will not be behind them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And what if we take out his worst game? what does the arrow look like? Lol I like how haters pick and choose which games they want to count by taking out good games but leaving the bad ones...

Whoa good point! If we take out his worst game, the Jets go 13-3 and Geno is ranked just behind Tom Brady. Thanks for opening up my eyes on this one.

I'll actually defend Jaws on this one.  At least he has the balls to make bold predictions.  Doesn't mean they're worth much, but a lot of analysts just choose to say "If X, Y, and Z happen, then this guy could be a player" or go with popular opinion.  When you read what he actually writes about the QB's themselves and factor out the predictions, usually he's pretty spot on.

Bingo.

Geno can make the throws. The problem is he lets the outside noise get to him. If he is ever gonna be even a serviceable qb then he can't let the boos bother him

All qb are gonna throw picks. The key is gonna be not coming back Sulking on the bench. Figure out why and let it go.

Geno can make the throws. The problem is he lets the outside noise get to him. If he is ever gonna be even a serviceable qb then he can't let the boos bother him

It's been the problem for NYC QB's for a long time now.  The ones who ignore the noise, like Namath and yes, Eli Manning, win.  The others fall by the wayside.  Sanchez had the rabbit ears problem and so does Geno.

Whoa good point! If we take out his worst game, the Jets go 13-3 and Geno is ranked just behind Tom Brady. Thanks for opening up my eyes on this one.

Tom Brady is a F****KN  cheater...  No way would I set him as the barometer of a good or even great QB..    Football is a game of inches and secs.. Playing with a doctored ball gave him an unfair advantage...  Surprised more people think his cheating was minor and didnt affect his game.. 

As for Geno, lol it's cool to be a wize azz..   All I am saying is that he's the best we have right now..  Fitzpatrick is a below avg QB at best and he's not the answer.. I dont seee the point in constant Geno bashing, when there's not much else in the QB depth chart.     Trust me.. Highligting Fitzpatrick best games and taking those away makes him way worse than Geno..   Bryce Petty and Heap havent seen a live NFL snap yet..    Basically everyone can be made to be worser or better than they are, by nitpicking games..    

Geno, thus far has shown flashes of real talent..  Let's see what he has first this year before we throw the baby away with the bath water..   

Jaws said a year ago that Colin Kaepernick will be one of the greatest QBs of all time.

You believe what you want but I can't take this guy seriously.

Jaworski, Stephen A Smith and Skip Bayless can go on that mission to Mars and never come back. Those 3 make ESPN unwatchable.

I respectfully disagree.

Come on Man...

There were plenty of fans who wanted just such an outcome.  Geno should never have been in a competition for the starting QB job in his first year period.  He wasn't ready. 

And the Jets, read Idzik and many fans were pushing Geno as the starter. 

Because neither you nor I were pushing Geno to start doesn't mean folks weren't saying he shouldn't start..

Indeed please read the articles I have linked below.

Not only were fans pushing for Geno to start but MM according to reports wanted Geno to start as a rookie as well.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2013/8/30/4677648/marty-mornhinweg-prefers-geno-smith

http://fansided.com/2013/05/13/new-york-jets-smitten-with-geno-smith/

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2014/1/6/5280232/mark-sanchez-2013-and-beyond

When Smith was drafted, competition was implied, he was drafted to win starting position:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/move-sanchez-jets-select-qb-geno-smith-nfl-draft-article-1.1328697

Indeed I am not reinventing something here plenty of fans wanted to cut Sanchez and have no other option but Geno as the article clearly states and this was BEFORE they knew that Sanchez' injury was season ending.

I could further link the hundreds of posts from JI as well but it simply isn't relevant anymore.

The idea that no one was rushing Smith onto the field is disingenuous and factually inaccurate.

We posters here did not say it.   Yet another reason most JL closing was so bad for this site.  Sorry Max, I know it sent your counts threw the roof but it has made it so much harder to read here. 

We posters here did not say it.   Yet another reason most JL closing was so bad for this site.  Sorry Max, I know it sent your counts threw the roof but it has made it so much harder to read here. 

Ok thank you so much for the heads up and education concerning this matter.

It is actually good to know that sane fans were posting here when insanity was raining around the team elsewhere..

:)

Yep.  I do wonder if it's possible that "the game slowing down thing" might happen with him?  Not sure. 

Bad decisions are not always made because someone is pressured.  Sometimes they are just made. Cross your fingers and pray.

Archived