Painfully awkward interview with John Harbaugh on The Herd.

BallinPB

Haha.  Ok.  Well.  I guess we will see how many High School grads turn Jim Harbaugh down next season because of an interview they wont remember. 

The same way BB players ran from Bobby Knight, football players ran from Woody Hayes, etc.  The list is long, lots of coaches have had bad interviews or worse.  The school sells itself, Michigan is a prime job because of this.  Saban is a jerkoff, but he's a name and has won. Put a winners name on a school like Alabama or Michigan and its a recruiters dream.  Only a fool thinks a radio interview will hurt recruitment.  

Apparently, coach and I heard:

"Is the conference a Bye?" (as in, so easy the opposing team feels like they get a week of rest whenever they play the big-10)

Instead of simply re-wording his question, Colin hung tightly to:

"Is the conference a Buy?" (hipster slang for really exciting football)

I can see the confusion.  The interview never recovered from there.    

Apparently, coach and I heard:

"Is the conference a Bye?" (as in, so easy the opposing team feels like they get a week of rest whenever they play the big-10)

Instead of simply re-wording his question, Colin hung tightly to:

"Is the conference a Buy?" (hipster slang for really exciting football)

I can see the confusion.  The interview never recovered from there.    

Exactly, that's why I see Colin as the culpert - it's his job to be clear so the interviewee at least knows the meaning of the question.

If Harbaugh had the least bit of enthusiasm for the interview, the bye/buy thing wouldn't have thrown him, he would have answered the forty six other questions before and after that (obviously traumatic) incident.

Gotta agree; sounded like he was stoned or something. At the end of the day, it means less than nothing but if he had interviewed like that for the MI job he would never have been hired.... 

If Harbaugh had the least bit of enthusiasm for the interview, the bye/buy thing wouldn't have thrown him, he would have answered the forty six other questions before and after that (obviously traumatic) incident.

Yeah he sounded like he just woke up. But there's no defending that buy/bye comment. It was ******* retarded to put it nicely.

Yeah he sounded like he just woke up. But there's no defending that buy/bye comment. It was ******* retarded to put it nicely.

Yeah, but if you're on a date with a really hot girl and you have a miscommunication, I'm sure you don't get all pissy and shut down; so we're back to enthusiasm and motivation.

Yeah, but if you're on a date with a really hot girl and you have a miscommunication, I'm sure you don't get all pissy and shut down; so we're back to enthusiasm and motivation.

Well I wouldn't be shocked if JH went in with an opinion on Cowherd to begin with. Kinda like doing your buddy (Michigan) a favor and playing wingman with the boring friend.

1. When are you a pushover?

2. What record are you expecting?

3. Is the conference a bye?

4. Sell me on your program, I run a 4.3 and I'm horrible at football.

Is there an award for investigative journalism of this caliber? This man deserves a gold-plated Giraldo Rivera statuette.

I thought the interviewer was being a shmo. That question about a "bye", I didn't know what he meant either - like Harbough, I thought he meant "bye" week... what the hell was that?  As far as telling him to sell the program, what is Harbough supposed to say? RA Ra ra, come to my school? I think the interviewer put him in an awkward position with dumb awkward questions. Harbough is a no-nonsense guy, and he did the best he can considering. don't think his answers will deter  anyone from going to Michigan.

He seemed pretty clear to me that he meant it as "buy". Prior to saying that he was talking about how the conferences added a few top coaches and was on the rise.

1. When are you a pushover?

2. What record are you expecting?

3. Is the conference a bye?

4. Sell me on your program, I run a 4.3 and I'm horrible at football.

Is there an award for investigative journalism of this caliber? This man deserves a gold-plated Giraldo Rivera statuette.

The 2nd question is pure baiting. Any record he says will get people talking sh*t.

He seemed pretty clear to me that he meant it as "buy". Prior to saying that he was talking about how the conferences added a few top coaches and was on the rise.

I don't know if I'm old (36) but the buy question was dumb. I had no clue what he meant. 'Is the big 10 a buy?' Huh? I thought he meant something along the lines of 'is the big 10 champ guaranteed 'playoff' team'. That's my old ass though.

Archived