Do we have a 'more than competent' pass catching RB?

SouthernJet

Well Rexey had undrafted Woodcock in camp and was cut and went to cheats

Yup, didnt like that move at all, he seemed to play well in preseason, Rex probably kept over a Vet 'pal' of his..I dont remember who was last RB kept that year

The rumor was if Gio Bernard (who fills the pass catching 3rd down back role) was there at 9 for us in 2nd round we were grabbing him. But Bengals traded up got him w/4th pick I think in Rd. 2, and we ended up getting Geno at 9 in Round 2.

I loved Gio coming out. And I still do. Wonder with the sudden emergence of Jeremy Hill if possibly Gio is up for trade.

Yup, didnt like that move at all, he seemed to play well in preseason, Rex probably kept over a Vet 'pal' of his..I dont remember who was last RB kept that year

That was Tannenbaum playing with the bottom of the roster, not Rex. He liked to shuffle people off and on the practice squad. He kept his draft pick, Joe McKnight, on the roster while he bounced Woodhead back and forth. Belichick was waiting for the next time Tanny cut him, and pounced.

That was Tannenbaum playing with the bottom of the roster, not Rex. He liked to shuffle people off and on the practice squad. He kept his draft pick, Joe McKnight, on the roster while he bounced Woodhead back and forth. Belichick was waiting for the next time Tanny cut him, and pounced.

ahh, thanks, mcknight was kept over woodhead

They don't seem to want one.  Everybody expected a big run after Spiller, there wasn't.  Everybody expected a push for a draft pick.  They had plenty and didn't go after one.  They traded a 7th for Stacy and signed Ridley.  They didn't even grab any UDFA RB/KR/PR.  We all see it as a need.  I'm not so sure that that they agree.

Where on earth are you guys getting the idea that Ridley can catch?  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14028/stevan-ridley

I don't know that people think he can't catch, but he is certainly not a scat back 3rd down receiver type.  He was getting 15 targets a year as the Pats primary back when they were throwing 100+ times to Vereen or 60 times a game to Woodhead.  Do you expect his numbers to take a giant leap here?

Overall it was a good off season but I don't see why we can't get this straight.

Give the pats credit they always get this type of player and we never do.

When was the last time the Pats had as many holes as Macc had to fill this year?

There was a time we had this same hole to fill, Pats needed it too and we handed them Woodhead.

When was the last time the Pats had as many holes as Macc had to fill this year?

There was a time we had this same hole to fill, Pats needed it too and we handed them Woodhead.

Overall Mac did a great job but we never fill this role.

Powell, Stacy, or Daryl Richardson has to be that guy.  Ivory or Ridley run well between the tackles but don't bring that pass-catching dimension.  That leaves 1, maybe 2 active roster spots for those three guys to fill.  I really like Powell, he had 36 catches in 2013 but he still needs to prove he can execute a good screen pass.

Roster cutdowns after training camp are also a good place to find a pass-catching 3rd/4th RB.

Powell, Stacy, or Daryl Richardson has to be that guy. Ivory or Ridley run well between the tackles but don't bring that pass-catching dimension. That leaves 1, maybe 2 active roster spots for those three guys to fill. I really like Powell, he had 36 catches in 2013 but he still needs to prove he can execute a good screen pass.

Roster cutdowns after training camp are also a good place to find a pass-catching 3rd/4th RB.

Ray Rice would be perfect just in that third down receiving back role. New Rochelle product would love to play again in this area.

Ray Rice would be perfect just in that third down receiving back role. New Rochelle product would love to play again in this area.

No he's done and he beats women.  If crazy Al were still alive he'd have given him a $50 million deal by now no wonder you like him for us.

Since the late 70s, Bruce Harper, Leon Johnson, Richie Anderson, Leon Washington, Brad Smith, Woodhead, LT, CJ2K.

We've brought in backs who could catch.

5 players in 40 years - one barely played for us and another was a wide receiver and a lousy one at that but please lecture on.

5 players in 40 years - one barely played for us and another was a wide receiver and a lousy one at that but please lecture on.

So listing 8 players in your mind makes you right after trying to claim it was only 1 player?

For a long time the Jets used the FB to catch the ball.  Parcells replaced Lorenzo Neal with Keith Byars (along with traditional scat back David Meggett) for a season and he caught a decent number of balls.  Richie Anderson did it for quite some time.  Jerald Sowell had a couple of years up near 50 catches too. I think this lead them to draft tweeners and they ended up with BJ Askew in the 3rd.  When they gave up on that pitiful experiment they went traditional with Tony Richardson, just so they could have a reasonable running game.  They may be moving back towards the big body in the backfield catching the ball by moving Amaro to H-Back.

• 2 weeks later...

For a long time the Jets used the FB to catch the ball. Parcells replaced Lorenzo Neal with Keith Byars (along with traditional scat back David Meggett) for a season and he caught a decent number of balls. Richie Anderson did it for quite some time. Jerald Sowell had a couple of years up near 50 catches too. I think this lead them to draft tweeners and they ended up with BJ Askew in the 3rd. When they gave up on that pitiful experiment they went traditional with Tony Richardson, just so they could have a reasonable running game. They may be moving back towards the big body in the backfield catching the ball by moving Amaro to H-Back.

Amaro lining up as a back in I or single back formation? I dunno about that.

This is just another year the FO neglected this.

Seriously, I see this as weakness in team, especially w/Geno's Progression and history of scrambling early. A safety valve RB would be a God-send for him.

1- Does any RB on roster fit that category and 2- rate the RBs we have and mention if they are good/avg etc at dumpoff pass catching ability.

I've been worried about the same thing... that and an actual KR/PR, not freaking Saalim Hakim, who is known for stopping Sammy Watkins before he scored a touchdown on us at CB. I'd also like someone who can do more than just fair catch the ball on punt returns... Other than that though, I'm pretty content with the current status of the roster.

Powell, Stacy, or Daryl Richardson has to be that guy.  Ivory or Ridley run well between the tackles but don't bring that pass-catching dimension.  That leaves 1, maybe 2 active roster spots for those three guys to fill.  I really like Powell, he had 36 catches in 2013 but he still needs to prove he can execute a good screen pass.

I think Richardson is a true dark horse.   I believe there will be an open competition if Bowles is true to his word.  Especially if Ridley is not really ready to go (could go on PUP for a while...).   Powell is a solid all around back but is kinda the definition of MEH.  

For a long time the Jets used the FB to catch the ball.  Parcells replaced Lorenzo Neal with Keith Byars (along with traditional scat back David Meggett) for a season and he caught a decent number of balls.  Richie Anderson did it for quite some time.  Jerald Sowell had a couple of years up near 50 catches too. I think this lead them to draft tweeners and they ended up with BJ Askew in the 3rd.  When they gave up on that pitiful experiment they went traditional with Tony Richardson, just so they could have a reasonable running game.  They may be moving back towards the big body in the backfield catching the ball by moving Amaro to H-Back.

Parcells understood just how valuable these guys are, as well as Belicheck. Our coaches since, not so much.

How many of those SBs do the Pats win without Faulk and to a lesser extent Vereen.

Really should've added Vereen this year.

Archived