Do we have a 'more than competent' pass catching RB?

SouthernJet

Seriously, I see this as weakness in team, especially w/Geno's Progression and history of scrambling early. A safety valve RB would be a God-send for him.

1- Does any RB on roster fit that category and 2- rate the RBs we have and mention if they are good/avg etc at dumpoff pass catching ability.

Ridley and Stacy can both catch to some level and with dumpoffs we should be good with them and Powell, but no we don't have a Sproles or Woodhead that after a dumpoff pass have the kind of speed they can go pretty far after the catch. Only guy we have that has that potential is Akim (sp?) the WR who is blazing fast. He seems to struggle as a WR catching and mostly has returned KOs, but if he makes the team as a KO, then they should try him out of the backfield with catching at times, since he is built more like a RB than a WR from what I see. 

This was our big miss in FA. Cromarties money should've went to Vereen.

Those third down backs that can make someone miss and extend the drive are invaluable.

I don't even want to talk about Powell, hopefully he goes by the way of Simms after this year

Gee... maybe the Jets could have drafted one last year with 12 picks instead of signing a washed up malcontent like CJ?K.

Idziot...

I was happy they got Johnson last year, he didn't live up to my expectations obviously but I did have high hopes.

Those third down backs that can make someone miss and extend the drive are invaluable.

I don't even want to talk about Powell, hopefully he goes by the way of Simms after this year

Spiller might have been an even better signing. Its pretty easy to imagine why they might want to stock up on CBs after seeing what happened last year. An entire season can be lost in one unfortunate practice if you don't have positional depth at key positions. Fully agree on Powell though, I hope he gets his chance this year and if he shines I would be happy but I don't expect him to and if he doesn't I wouldn't lose any sleep seeing him play depth on another teams roster.

Ridley and Stacy can both catch to some level and with dumpoffs we should be good with them and Powell, but no we don't have a Sproles or Woodhead that after a dumpoff pass have the kind of speed they can go pretty far after the catch. Only guy we have that has that potential is Akim (sp?) the WR who is blazing fast. He seems to struggle as a WR catching and mostly has returned KOs, but if he makes the team as a KO, then they should try him out of the backfield with catching at times, since he is built more like a RB than a WR from what I see. 

Ridley averages 6 receptions per season for his career.  He's not a pass catcher he's strictly a north-south runner and a mediocre one at that.

Brandon Marshall is the guy you look for on 3rd down

The rumor was if Gio Bernard (who fills the pass catching 3rd down back role) was there at 9 for us in 2nd round we were grabbing him. But Bengals traded up got him w/4th pick I think in Rd. 2, and we ended up getting Geno at 9 in Round 2.

??? Powell has done nothing but prove himself a useful back since he got here.  And he can catch the ball and run with it a little bit.  Not a Sproles but someone who will perform well in that kind of play, as well as other types of plays.  I do agree I'd like someone who is closer to Sproles in that regard on the team.

The rumor was if Gio Bernard (who fills the pass catching 3rd down back role) was there at 9 for us in 2nd round we were grabbing him. But Bengals traded up got him w/4th pick I think in Rd. 2, and we ended up getting Geno at 9 in Round 2.

We all know how much you love your Tar Heels, but that was 2013.  We have an entirely new regime in place.  Even if Bradway was "pounding the table" for Bernard, even he is finally gone.  These guys did not try to get any scat back or receiving back this offseason despite spending a ton. 

??? Powell has done nothing but prove himself a useful back since he got here.  And he can catch the ball and run with it a little bit.  Not a Sproles but someone who will perform well in that kind of play, as well as other types of plays.  I do agree I'd like someone who is closer to Sproles in that regard on the team.

I like Powell, and was glad they resigned him, but his value is more as a jack of all trades than any individual skill he brings to the table. The fact that he's solid in pass protection and catching the football makes him a front-runner for the third down back role, but it's not like he's a dynamic guy with the football in his hands. Also, the Jets didn't bring in Ridley and Stacey because they love Powell.

I think Powell sticks as a guy who can do every RB task adequately, but that they hope someone grabs the third down back job from him.

never heard that, interesing.  Love Bernard.

I think he's going to be one of those guys that the more you see of him, the less you're going to want to see him

We all know how much you love your Tar Heels, but that was 2013.  We have an entirely new regime in place.  Even if Bradway was "pounding the table" for Bernard, even he is finally gone.  These guys did not try to get any scat back or receiving back this offseason despite spending a ton. 

Amen Dom

Love all these rumors too lol

so no historical reference allowed. sorry didnt read the rules :)

Ivory and Powell and Ridley could catch the football out of a screen pass. so they have 3 options there

Anyone not named Shonn Greene can catch a screen. It's the ability to execute in flat routes or line up as a receiver and run a full tree that's critical. Powell is our only back that might be able to do that.

I don't know why we didn't draft a rb for this role.

There were only so many draft picks. A lot of speculation that the Jets liked Duke Johnson, and expected him to be there after they traded down in the third - but he wasn't. And clearly, they didn't like any RBs better than the guard and DT they took late. Besides QB, I'd say it's the one obvious void they failed to address. But given all the holes on the roster when they took over, I'd say they did a solid job overall.

There were only so many draft picks. A lot of speculation that the Jets liked Duke Johnson, and expected him to be there after they traded down in the third - but he wasn't. And clearly, they didn't like any RBs better than the guard and DT they took late. Besides QB, I'd say it's the one obvious void they failed to address. But given all the holes on the roster when they took over, I'd say they'll did a solid job overall.

Overall it was a good off season but I don't see why we can't get this straight.

Give the pats credit they always get this type of player and we never do.

Drafting a 3rd down scat back in 2nd rd is not bright, Sproles was drafted in rd 4 for Christ sakes, Bengals thought so much of Gio that they drafted jeremy hillin 2nd rd. 

Ya, they have a great 1-2 punch now, great point!!!

Have a Happy 4th!!!!!!

Overall it was a good off season but I don't see why we can't get this straight.

Give the pats credit they always get this type of player and we never do.

Well Rexey had undrafted Woodcock in camp and was cut and went to cheats

Archived