Going to Niagara Falls

Maxman

Make sure they know that the baseball Hall of Fame itself is only a very small part of what you can experience in Cooperstown. There's a beautiful lake on which you can rent boats, there's a charming town filled with sports memorabilia and restaurants, and you are only 30 minutes from Howe Caverns which is a pretty cool experience as well.

Besides, spending a night in Cooperstown takes an 8 hour drive and breaks it up into two 4 hour drives which should make everyone happy.

SAR I

I did Howe's Caverns years ago, great point.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did Howe's Caverns years ago, great point.

...and Brooks Barbeque in Oneonta (knowing how important BBQ is to JN).

You will likely not find hotel accommodations in Cooperstown proper this late in the game, so Oneonta becomes an easy hotel destination, it's 30 minutes away from the Hall of Fame.

SAR I

Is that a indoor water park? My mom takes the grandkids to one in PA.

What's it like being in a waterpark as an adult? I haven't been to one in so long and I can't see that changing until we have kids. I imagine you've gotta be wondering how much pee you're standing in at least half the time.

When I 1st read your thread title, it reminded me of that one poster who would always post a new thread a week saying

"Going to Fiji, Bitch#s"

Every week it would be some different exotic location or Event! I forget if it was JI or JN? Pretty Funny.

Have fun on the "Maid of the Mist".... Say "Hi" to Rex for me.

Fun fact about maid of the mist, people love taking that ride and getting that cool, refreshing mist on their face. What they don't know is the absurd percentage of fecal matter in that mist. Enjoy!!

What's it like being in a waterpark as an adult? I haven't been to one in so long and I can't see that changing until we have kids. I imagine you've gotta be wondering how much pee you're standing in at least half the time.

I wouldn't know, I refused to get dragged along. And yes I believe the piss content is high, I'd rather bathe in the Ganjes.

egEUsf.gif

Good luck on the vacation.  I haven't been there in a while, but a few years ago did the waterfall Mariott and probably one of the best hotel decisions we've made.  Great view of the falls, made the entire trip worth it.  

While there, the Maid of the Mist is a must, but also try the Cave of the Winds.  I haven't tried it, but I've heard some good reviews about it, how you get to be really close to the waterfalls and such.   I don't know how much time you have to go off route, but one of the times we went to Thousand Islands in Canada, was a pretty nice.  However, it's a 2 hour detour (assuming you are taking back 90 to Albany) but the place was really beautiful, nice weather this time of the year, and had boat rentals.  Also at the falls, there is a whirlpool jet ride that is pretty good as well.  

That is funny you just said that. My daughter just got a job this summer as a lifeguard at a waterpark. On Father's day she said this Dad goes down the slide after his two kids. As he is starting out he screams, "This is the best day ever". Now I don't get that excited, but I love waterparks. The outdoor ones with wave pools are the best.

Is that a indoor water park? My mom takes the grandkids to one in PA.

Yes, there are several of them. Never went to the one in Pa, but we stayed at the once in Va years ago and it was fun.

Niagara falls is a good place for one. Since it is 70 degrees in July, an indoor water park is perfect. We can do stuff every day and then the kids have stuff to do when we get back to the hotel.

Clark Griswold took control of family vacations.  He made the rules.  Kids don't get votes, wth!?  Man up, it's Cooperstown!  How many times when you were a kid did you get dragged places you didn't want to go?  FFS I was dragged to the Dirty Dancing concert at PNC when I was a kid.  I had no say in it.  My father was gonna get some ass from his girlfriend at the time for it and therefore I had to go.  I didn't get a vote.  In fact, your wife doesn't get a vote either.  Now crack open a Miller High Life and take back your manhood and tell those fuckers they're going to Cooperstown and they're gonna like it!

Love this. I will let you know how it works out for me, lol.

You can't leave. Who is going to run the Internet?

A free market is forever self adjusting. Someone will step up.

I live about 20 minutes from Niagara Falls on Grand Island which is between Buffalo and Niagara Falls.  If you and your family want to meet a local (me) for lunch,  pm me and I will give you my phone number.  

Can you bring Rex Ryan with you? I have a few things I want to discuss with him. :)

Good luck on the vacation.  I haven't been there in a while, but a few years ago did the waterfall Mariott and probably one of the best hotel decisions we've made.  Great view of the falls, made the entire trip worth it.  

While there, the Maid of the Mist is a must, but also try the Cave of the Winds.  I haven't tried it, but I've heard some good reviews about it, how you get to be really close to the waterfalls and such.   I don't know how much time you have to go off route, but one of the times we went to Thousand Islands in Canada, was a pretty nice.  However, it's a 2 hour detour (assuming you are taking back 90 to Albany) but the place was really beautiful, nice weather this time of the year, and had boat rentals.  Also at the falls, there is a whirlpool jet ride that is pretty good as well.  

Thank you. I will look at the cave of the winds and thousand islands. Definitely interested in learning more.

Love this. I will let you know how it works out for me, lol.

Can you bring Rex Ryan with you? I have a few things I want to discuss with him. :)

I can give you directions to the restaurant he frequents  :)  :)  :)

Always wanted to take a jets @ bills road trip in September / October w a visit to the falls and some Northern Pike fishing

If you never caught a northern pike you should go. Mean, nasty, prehistoric-looking fish. Small mouth bass fishing should be good up there, too.

I can't wait for the Canadian Border Service Agency to take Phil into custody for trying to sneak untaxed Twinkies into the country,

The wait in the car to get through the border was the worst part of our trip a few years ago, must have taken 90 minutes to drive 100 feet.

SAR I

I can't wait for the Canadian Border Service Agency to take Phil into custody for trying to sneak untaxed Twinkies into the country,

If he's going for the untaxed Twinkies, he also needs to score some Johnny Walker Blue to wash them down with. $130 a bottle up there.

Got here today. No twinkies. As we crossed the border my son was sitting next to me in the front seat, we rented a minivan. Everyone else was in the back. The officer checking our passports says any weapons, knives, stun guns, guns etc. I answer no. He says to my son how about you big guy, any weapons? Shane says no. The officer says....you can tell you have been working out. It was weird but it made us laugh. Everyone has been really nice so far. 

We even made it driving through Buffalo with Jets stuff on.  :)

Went to see the Falls tonight. So damn amazing. I was here almost 30 years ago but on the NY side. What an amazing view and downtown here is built up, tons of people and it seems like a lot to do.

The wait in the car to get through the border was the worst part of our trip a few years ago, must have taken 90 minutes to drive 100 feet.

SAR I

Took maybe 15 - 20 minutes today. But getting back to NY seemed much longer. I guess it depends on what time you are there. I will have to look into that before we leave.

Got here today. No twinkies. As we crossed the border my son was sitting next to me in the front seat, we rented a minivan. Everyone else was in the back. The officer checking our passports says any weapons, knives, stun guns, guns etc. I answer no. He says to my son how about you big guy, any weapons? Shane says no. The officer says....you can tell you have been working out. It was weird but it made us laugh. Everyone has been really nice so far. 

We even made it driving through Buffalo with Jets stuff on.   :)

Went to see the Falls tonight. So damn amazing. I was here almost 30 years ago but on the NY side. What an amazing view and downtown here is built up, tons of people and it seems like a lot to do.

Maxman:  Glad to hear you and your family are here safe and sound.    We have Terry and Kim Pegula (owners of Sabres and Bills) to thank for much of the construction downtown.  If you get  a chance,  stop in to the 716 (restaurant owned by Pegulas) for a late lunch.  You will probably have a long wait if you go during regular lunch time or dinner time.  This restaurant is flooded with people 7 days a week.  If you happen to go there with your Jets' attire,  expect to have Bills' fans come over and talk to you.  They're friendly.    Posters here often tease me.  They claim our Bills fans are so loyal because there's nothing for  us to do in Buffalo. Maybe you can set them straight.   :winking0001:  Most often I get comments that Buffalo is nothing but a hole in the wall or words to that affect.  So far,  you've been able to experience all the work that has been put into our downtown area.  By the time you leave,  I am confident that you will meet more friendly people.   Buffalo is known as the City of Good Neighbors.  Enjoy your vacation.  

Took maybe 15 - 20 minutes today. But getting back to NY seemed much longer. I guess it depends on what time you are there. I will have to look into that before we leave.

Alot of locals have cottages up in Canada or go to Toronto,  et al for get away weekends. Canadiens also come to our Niagara Falls, NY Outlet Malls (on the weekends) to shop and all seem to start heading home later in the day.   You hit the weekend traffic.  It's heavy every Friday (beginning later in the afternoon) and Sundays.

We even made it driving through Buffalo with Jets stuff on.   :)

It's a good thing they didn't know you were affiliated with a known message board terrorist Tom Abu Nasser Shane.. :winking0001:  

True, I left on a Sunday, if you leave mid-week probably will be okay.

SAR I

Alot of locals have cottages up in Canada or go to Toronto, et al for get away weekends. Canadiens also come to our Niagara Falls, NY Outlet Malls (on the weekends) to shop and all seem to start heading home later in the day. You hit the weekend traffic. It's heavy every Friday (beginning later

in the afternoon) and Sundays.

Thank you for all the info.

Went in the tunnels under the falls today. It's incredible how close you get. Really is an amazing experience.

Thank you for all the info.

Went in the tunnels under the falls today. It's incredible how close you get. Really is an amazing experience.

You're welcome Maxman.    Hope you enjoy your stay here. 

Archived