Reps

JohnnyLV

I am hoping this thread does not turn into a Geno bashing/defending troll thread as it is mainly about Bowles and how he is handling the QB position, not Geno. It would apply equally to Fitz if he was the initial number one.starting training camp as well.

I have always opposed the Jets QB "competitions" not because I do not believe a QB should compete at some level but because of the way we conducted them. I do think, though at a team needs to make a commitment to a QB, a full commitment until the point that he is no longer the guy and then you fully commit to the next #1.

My issue with the Jets QB competitions to date is in the way reps were handled. In the competitions we have had the competing QBs split first team reps. I firmly believe it is critical for the #1 QB to get ALL the first team reps. Brady and Manning even at this point in their careers Also to make things worse there was just one set of 11 on 11 and 7 on 7, Because of this, in our competitions we would often see each QB getting only 10-12 reps in many days in live drills. That is just not enough.

Bowles is doing 2 things I absolutely love, that will prepare any QB we start much much more completely than in the past:

1. First Bowles is running two entire fields of 11 on 11 and 7 on 7, somewhat similar to what Philbin does in Miami. This by itself doubles the amount of reps, but from the OTA reports it seems the Jets spend more time in team drills as well, which makes the amount of reps and repetition each player gets even greater.

2. Bowles is having the #1 QB get ALL the first team reps as it should be. It is critical to get the starter as many reps as possible and as much time to build chemistry with his weapons as possible.

Put the two together, and the #1 QB could literally get 4 times the rep in a day than they did in the Rex camps. That is huge and will really really help the offense develop, Another side benefit is that the developmental guys in Petty and Heaps will get tons of reps too to start their development.

Also none of this means that the Jets can not also have a competition at the QB spot. Russell Wilson won the job as third string with the former GB stiff getting all the first team reps.

At the end of the day the Jets staff will extensively review the film of each practice and will be able to comprehensively evaluate how each QB is playing and if it makes sense  change the #1 guy.

I am so excited about this extensive change in approach and I think it will reap huge rewards for us this season as we will be much much better prepared at QB and on offense in general.

Not to mention Rex burned 10% of his practices taking the team to the zoo, paintball, or Dave & Busters.

Bowles seems like he is all business, but is not a strict disciplinarian like Mangini. Could it be we finally found the best of both worlds???

3-5 reps are for strength

8-12 are for hypertrophy.

Although recently studies have shown that 25+ reps stimulate hypertrophy best.

I tried decline benching the other day and my fupa almost suffocated me.  Should I just keep going till I pass out or have someone spot my gut?

I tried decline benching the other day and my fupa almost suffocated me. Should I just keep going till I pass out or have someone spot my gut?

Did it start out as incline and you just decided to roll with it when the bench collapsed under your prolific girth?

Agree a #1 QB should get 90+% of the reps

Unfortunately we don't have a #1 QB so that does not apply to this team.

I also am curious to see what % of the first team reps do go to Geno & what % do go to Fitz.

If it is 90+% Geno then he will def be our starter week 1 regular season.

If it's anywhere from 50-50 or even up to 70-30 I believe the decision is still up in the air.

I also am curious to see what % of the first team reps do go to Geno & what % do go to Fitz.

If it's anywhere from 50-50 or even up to 70-30 I believe the decision is still up in the air.

Bowles has stated 100% FWIW. Not "most" explicitly all of them

since Gailey is know for adjusting the offense to the strengths of the players and Geno and Fitz are different types of players, I would imagine that they will need to go all-in on Geno until they are ready to bail.  I think someone pointed out that game 5 (after our early bye) will likely be the time to make a change unless Geno gets hurt or is completely scre...ing it up....

The major benefit of Ryan Fitzpatrick here is that he's extremely smart, and has QB'd for Gailey before. He shouldn't need the physical reps with the first team so much to keep himself up to speed. Geno, however, needs the work. As was already mentioned, Gailey likes to tailor his offenses to his QB's strengths, and keeping Geno in there helps the coach do his job, too.

Training camp happens fast. Geno opens as the starter, and will be given some time before they pull the plug - even if he's obviously struggling. He'll almost certainly start the first preseason game. If they don't give up on him after that, he'll probably still be starting by the third preseason game (the traditional tune-up game) and, consequently, the season opener. Once he gets that far, he probably gets at least to the bye. These guys are looking long term. They want to know what they have -or don't have- in Geno before turning the page on him.

The major benefit of Ryan Fitzpatrick here is that he's extremely smart, and has QB'd for Gailey before. He shouldn't need the physical reps with the first team so much to keep himself up to speed. Geno, however, needs the work. As was already mentioned, Gailey likes to tailor his offenses to his QB's strengths, and keeping Geno in there helps the coach do his job, too.

Training camp happens fast. Geno opens as the starter, and will be given some time before they pull the plug - even if he's obviously struggling. He'll almost certainly start the first preseason game. If they don't give up on him after that, he'll probably still be starting by the third preseason game (the traditional tune-up game) and, consequently, the season opener. Once he gets that far, he probably gets at least to the bye. These guys are looking long term. They want to know what they have -or don't have- in Geno before turning the page on him.

This being said sounds like you expect Geno to get 90+% of the 1st team reps in Training Camp.

I appreciate a lot of this in theory ... However, I do personally think 2015 results are important to Bowles & Mac as well. I think the matter has not truly been decided yet.

If the 2 perform anywhere close Geno is the choice.

What they show in TC certainly will show us Mac & Bowles putting their $$$ where their mouth is.

This being said sounds like you expect Geno to get 90+% of the 1st team reps in Training Camp.

I appreciate a lot of this in theory ... However, I do personally think 2015 results are important to Bowles & Mac as well. I think the matter has not truly been decided yet.

If the 2 perform anywhere close Geno is the choice.

What they show in TC certainly will show us Mac & Bowles putting their $$$ where their mouth is.

2015 results are definitely important to them. That's why they have so many guys on de facto one year deals. They want some instant gratification to get the fans and the owner on their side (not necessarily in that order, lol). But this isn't a Super Bowl year. They want to build for the long term, and nothing is more important to long term success than quality and stability at the QB position. They're making the right move by exploring whether Geno can be that guy. If he's not, then next year will be all about landing a QB who can be.

With an improved roster and a weaker schedule, better results than 4-12 are practically guaranteed - even with the Geno with whom we're familiar. They don't have to sacrifice valuable QB research for more wins.

They want to build for the long term, and nothing is more important to long term success than quality and stability at the QB position. They're making the right move by exploring whether Geno can be that guy. If he's not, then next year will be all about landing a QB who can be.

Only place I have any disagreement is I believe they will make a decision quickly in TC as to whether Geno has the potential to improve into the long term answer.

If the answer is yes or maybe he will get almost all the 1st team touches in TC & Preseason.

If the answer is no or we really don't think so I expect closer to a 50/50 split in 1st team touches.

We'll find out soon!

I also think if Geno $h*ts the bed they will be evaluating if Petty in practice has the potential to improve into the long term answer ... If they think yes or maybe then I'd think a similar move (drafting QB in rounds 3-7 ) will be done unless someone falls into our laps round 1

Only place I have any disagreement is I believe they will make a decision quickly in TC as to whether Geno has the potential to improve into the long term answer.

If the answer is yes or maybe he will get almost all the 1st team touches in TC & Preseason.

If the answer is no or we really don't think so I expect closer to a 50/50 split in 1st team touches.

We'll find out soon!

I also think if Geno $h*ts the bed they will be evaluating if Petty in practice has the potential to improve into the long term answer ... If they think yes or maybe then I'd think a similar move (drafting QB in rounds 3-7 ) will be done unless someone falls into our laps round 1

Bowles has made some publicity oriented softening of the language but Gailey used, but he did not pull his statements out of his ass. Unless he is a total mess in TC (and Bowles expected it to take at least until the second week of camp before the offense comes together) there is really no scenario other than Geno starting the season. People are reading a lot into things that were not said at all.

geno BLOWS & like it was stated before WE Don't have a Legitimate #1 QB so neither of them will get 100% of the snaps w/the 1st team.  If geno plays like he has in the past (including the last game of the season against Miami) he should ride the pine.  A Perfect rating means squat, he still didn't look good in that game... he has terrible foot work & throwing mechanics & I don't even want to talk about his decision making.   :puke2:

I Like Bowles & I think he Will make the right decision for The Team not just to coddle a player or stroke their ego... Unlike Rex.  

geno BLOWS & like it was stated before WE Don't have a Legitimate #1 QB so neither of them will get 100% of the snaps w/the 1st team.  If geno plays like he has in the past (including the last game of the season against Miami) he should ride the pine.  A Perfect rating means squat, he still didn't look good in that game... he has terrible foot work & throwing mechanics & I don't even want to talk about his decision making.   :puke2:

I Like Bowles & I think he Will make the right decision for The Team not just to coddle a player or stroke their ego... Unlike Rex.

You can't be serious about the last game! He looked tremendous in that game. What does a QB have to do to get your approval,lol.

That statement proves that your Geno hate is too deep seeded to have an unbiased opinion on him.

Bowles has stated 100% FWIW. Not "most" explicitly all of them

Your point in this thread is so important that people are making fun of it for no reason.

Your observation is so on point that it is missed. It is why we had foolish QB competition with Sanchez and Geno when Geno should never have seen the field that first year.

If Garrard bowed out as he did then Sanchez without question should have gotten all first team reps.

Simple having an unprepared starter is assinine.

Your point in this thread is so important that people are making fun of it for no reason.

Your observation is so on point that it is missed. It is why we had foolish QB competition with Sanchez and Geno when Geno should never have seen the field that first year.

If Garrard bowed out as he did then Sanchez without question should have gotten all first team reps.

Simple having an unprepared starter is assinine.

Whatever dude. Geno will get 100% of first team reps in camp. Both Bowles and Gailey have explicitly stated it. You can hope that it is different and that Geno fails so we can play a crappy journeyman but the fact remains that Bowles has stated many teams he does not believe in splitting reps and will not do it.

Whatever dude. Geno will get 100% of first team reps in camp. Both Bowles and Gailey have explicitly stated it. You can hope that it is different and that Geno fails so we can play a crappy journeyman but the fact remains that Bowles has stated many teams he does not believe in splitting reps and will not do it.

Hey my brother I am agreeing with you!!! :)

I was saying that the Jets haven't done that properly in the past as evidenced with Sanchez and Geno...

Archived