• Vikings
    • Jaguars
    • Browns
    • Skins
    • Rams
    • Only the Jets
    • Not even the Jets

Your argument would make sense if a few of the factors were true:

1. The QB was of marginal talent such as lack of arm strength, no mobility, good but not great production in college. This is not true of Geno, he is a very gifted QB.

2.The QB played on a team with strong skills players and had no production. Not true of the Jets. For the two years Geno has been QB our offensive playmakers are maybe the worst in the NFL

3. The QB is a veteran football player Certainly not true of Geno

4. The QB came from a pro style offense so had a smaller learning curve in the NFL. Definitely not true of Geno.

5. The QB was in a good situation for a young QB. Great OL, offensive minded head coach, OC that tailors the offense to the young QB and offensive plays offense, good QB coach. NONE of these are true for Geno, especially the coaching and system Geno was asked to run. if you tried to hand pick the worst offense for a QB like Geno (or Bryce Petty for that matter) you would pick a MM offense. I liked Marty but he did not sync at all with Rex and he is a system guy not an adapter

6, The QB showed little upside and never flashed elite ability. Again not true of Geno. He has shown the capability to be a far above average QB with real playmaking ability. Remember he did have 4 4th quarter game winning drives in 2013.

7. He had a veteran QB mentor to help his development and show him the ropes, help him learn the playbook, etc... Geno did not have that either.

If a few of the above things were true, it would make sense to move away. But NONE of them are. So no one really knows that Geno "sucks". Which leaves you in a situation that you legitimately do not know how good he be at QB in a better environment. He has that now, and has a coaching staff with no ties to Geno whatsoever (making it more likely than not that they are willing to move away from Geno) that looked at all his tape and decided that they could make him the guy,

Because of all these things, I am willing to give him the shot to prove himself. Certainly a better move than starting a retread journeyman with no long term upside.

That's a lot of excuses why Geno sucked. You can come up with all the reasons you want, the fact is he sucked two years in a row.

All I know is a couple of the new posters try very hard to say Ether it was not his fault he sucked or that he did not suck. Well I don't care why, all I know is he sucked pretty bad.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lot of excuses why Geno sucked. You can come up with all the reasons you want, the fact is he sucked two years in a row.

All I know is a couple of the new posters try very hard to say Ether it was not his fault he sucked or that he did not suck. Well I don't care why, all I know is he sucked pretty bad.

Yes, he was bad. But moving on from him is not that simple because he was not given an opportunity to succeed and has undeniable talent. They are not excuses they are facts for why you need to continue to develop him. It is VERY much a grey issue not a black and white issue at all. QB is too complex for that.

He was the worst in the NFL last year even with an uptick over the last 4 games.  What that really means is that the rest of "the worst QBs in the NFL" were practically lapping him on the track statistically before his uptick.

If this was the first year that he had a late season improvement then perhaps the idea might make sense that the real Geno is the one we saw at the end of the year and not the Geno who was seen the rest of the time.  The problem of course is that this is the 2nd year in a row that we have been told the same story and by the same set of storytellers to boot. 

Geno is horrible and Fitz is clearly a better option even though Fitz is really not an NFL caliber QB either at this point.

Fitz had his best year last year, so I'm not sure what you mean by "at this point"?

Just watch some Texan's games from last year, and I'm sure you'll see that he is a real starting QB. About average, so 16th in the league. We haven't had that since Farve before he was injured.

Fitz had his best year last year, so I'm not sure what you mean by "at this point"?

Just watch some Texan's games from last year, and I'm sure you'll see that he is a real starting QB. About average, so 16th in the league. We haven't had that since Farve before he was injured.

I confess my knowledge of him is incomplete.  I thought that he looked pretty good back when the Bills felt the same way and gave him the big deal.  My assumption about his competence is based mostly on the fact that he was available at all and at a pretty reasonable price.  In other words my comment was based on the market value placed on him by the league.  

On the other hand I have seen every play of Geno's career and I think there is no long term cure for what ails him.  Poor decision making, poor ball security generally and quite inaccurate once he has decided where he wants to put the ball. 

Fitz is far below 16 but far better than Geno.

Qbs id take before Fitz

Afce: Brady

Afcn: Ben, flacco

Afcs: luck, mariota

Afcw: manning, rivers, smith

Nfce: manning, Bradford, romo

nfcs: Winston, brees, Newton,Ryan

Nfcn: stafford, Rodgers

Nfcw: kaep, Wilson, foles, cutler

No one is saying Jimmy G is better than Geno, only that given what we know of Geno's suck after 30 starts compels going for the upside of a highly drafted and unknown player. If Jimmy was a backup for NYJ he would be the most popular player on the team.

No one is saying Jimmy G is better than Geno, only that given what we know of Geno's suck after 30 starts compels going for the upside of a highly drafted and unknown player. If Jimmy was a backup for NYJ he would be the most popular player on the team.

Joining the likes of Brooks Bollinger, Brett Ratliff and Matt Simms. 

Wait, wait, are you saying a coach would replace a QB with a QB he's never seen in practice or a game?  Because, no that would never happen.  

Thats what you're doing, a player you've never seen practice or play a game you're insisting is better than someone else.  How do YOU not get it.

Who would play isnt even the argument, its a different argument, players are switched for different reasons. 

Coaches announce NFL untested players starters the day after the draft all the time

Joining the likes of Brooks Bollinger, Brett Ratliff and Matt Simms. 

Sad that has been the state of our QB position for most of the last 25.  But to your point if this fan base lusted over that bunch, Jimmy G would be hailed as Jesus resurrected by comparison.

Sad that has been the state of our QB position for most of the last 25.  But to your point if this fan base lusted over that bunch, Jimmy G would be hailed as Jesus resurrected by comparison.

And I'd be willing to bet those that championed the others would be just as right in this case. 

Coaches announce NFL untested players starters the day after the draft all the time

You are so wrong, you don't even know the difference between untested and never saw him play in a game or even practice.

No coach names someone a starter a day after the draft. Unless we're talking about a QB to team without a QB and pissing the season away to develop him. Completely different story. That's not replacing a player with another

You are so wrong, you don't even know the difference between untested and never saw him play in a game or even practice.

No coach names someone a starter a day after the draft. Unless we're talking about a QB to team without a QB and pissing the season away to develop him. Completely different story. That's not replacing a player with another

Telling quote from Lovie Smith on who starting QB is today: "It's just not about Jameis. We need to get our backup quarterback ready, too."

"If we pick him at No. 2, you definitely think he can be the Day 1 starter," Whisenhunt said during Tuesday morning's AFC coaches breakfast at the league's owners meetings. "He was impressive. ... Just the short time we spent with him on the board, he was very good.

And I'd be willing to bet those that championed the others would be just as right in this case. 

You think Jimmy G is as bad as those stiffs?  Maybe.  But pretty hard to argue that Jets should start an inferior Geno over Fitz due to "upside" after 30 games of a poor record while already relegating Jimmy G to Brooks Bollinger status.   At least there is no evidence that Jimmy sucks yet.  Given what we know now, he is a superior choice to Geno.

Can't have this one both ways.  If you are pro-Geno over Fitz due to "higher ceiling" argument, if you're intellectually honest you'd have to admit Jimmy has even more potential upside due to a record of good play (albeit limited) but most important, no 2 years of crap.

Greg Auman

@gregauman

Telling quote from Lovie Smith on who starting QB is today: "It's just not about Jameis. We need to get our backup quarterback ready, too."

5:44 PM - 16 Jun 2015

"If we pick him at No. 2, you definitely think he can be the Day 1 starter," Whisenhunt said during Tuesday morning's AFC coaches breakfast at the league's owners meetings. "He was impressive. ... Just the short time we spent with him on the board, he was very good.

You have any clue? You're comparing a draft pick QB, taken first overall, on a team that doesn't have a QB to your idiotic belief that any coach would start a players he's never, ever seen play in practice or a game? You think these are the same things? And this is your never ending argument to prove that a player you've never seen play is better than someone else just because.

You think Jimmy G is as bad as those stiffs?  Maybe.  But pretty hard to argue that Jets should start an inferior Geno over Fitz due to "upside" after 30 games of a poor record while already relegating Jimmy G to Brooks Bollinger status.   At least there is no evidence that Jimmy sucks yet.  Given what we know now, he is a superior choice to Geno.

Can't have this one both ways.  If you are pro-Geno over Fitz due to "higher ceiling" argument, if you're intellectually honest you'd have to admit Jimmy has even more potential upside due to a record of good play (albeit limited) but most important, no 2 years of crap.

No it's not. I just did. 

Wah!!!! Wah!!!! The Jets didn't cut Geno Wah!!!!

I don't know who gets more overrated by jets fans.  Every crappy 3rd string qb this team gets (Ratliff, Bollinger, Clemens) or every crappy qb the Patriots get to hold a clipboard for Brady (Cassell, Mallett, Hoyer, Garofolo)

LMAO..... Greatest imaginary / preseason QB s in history of NFL. NY JETS......

Fan base annnointed Ratliffe before he played a game....

Garropolo is multiple pro bowler before ever starting a game.  Mariotta is a HOF'er before he even signs a rookie contract!

You have any clue? You're comparing a draft pick QB, taken first overall, on a team that doesn't have a QB to your idiotic belief that any coach would start a players he's never, ever seen play in practice or a game? You think these are the same things? And this is your never ending argument to prove that a player you've never seen play is better than someone else just because.

It's always interesting when a person who has nothing, and is confronted with facts, starts with the personal insults.

Speaking of not having a clue.  Good bye

No it's not. I just did. 

That's what I get for assuming the word "well" after "pretty tough to argue" was implicit.

Wah!!!! Wah!!!! The Jets didn't cut Geno Wah!!!!

I don't know who gets more overrated by jets fans.  Every crappy 3rd string qb this team gets (Ratliff, Bollinger, Clemens) or every crappy qb the Patriots get to hold a clipboard for Brady (Cassell, Mallett, Hoyer, Garofolo)

Interesting take on a simple statement. The reaction indicates the truth was struck quite closely by my post;.

Garropolo is multiple pro bowler before ever starting a game.  Mariotta is a HOF'er before he even signs a rookie contract!

Don't know about either of those things--but what I do know is that Geno has been the WORST STARTER IN THE LEAGUE for 2 years.  I'd take unknown over proven-prutrid.

Don't know about either of those things--but what I do know is that Geno has been the WORST STARTER IN THE LEAGUE for 2 years. I'd take unknown over proven-prutrid.

No your just wrong. Geno is a significantly better player than Hoyer, Manuel, Mccown and RG3

And I think Geno sucks

Oh and btw if Fitz is sooooooooooo much better(he may be) he will show it in preseason and win the starting job.

No your just wrong. Geno is a significantly better player than Hoyer, Manuel, Mccown and RG3

And I think Geno sucks

Oh and btw if Fitz is sooooooooooo much better(he may be) he will show it in preseason and win the starting job.

When you're defending a player by comparing him to those guys, you're proving my larger point.

Don't know about either of those things--but what I do know is that Geno has been the WORST STARTER IN THE LEAGUE for 2 years.  I'd take unknown over proven-prutrid.

Except Geno isn't getting cut or traded, and it's really irrelevent whether he would start for any other team because it's all hypothetical.  Instead this is clearly just you looking to start another thread proclaiming your own personal disdain for Geno Smith under the guise of some ridiculous hypothetical scenario. 

Given the fact Geno is our QB assuming he beats out Fitzpatrick, most of us are going to try to support the guy and hope he takes the next step. 

It's always interesting when a person who has nothing, and is confronted with facts, starts with the personal insults.

Speaking of not having a clue.  Good bye

OK, lets play the game.  Give me a single fact that says JimmyG is a better QB than anyone in the NFL.  I'll make it easy for you, anyone.

Go away, you're totally lost here, you don;t even know what you're arguing anymore.

You'll have a hard time, just as you'll find a hard time finding a personal insult.  Especially given all the personal insults you threw my way arguing away 

BYE

OK, lets play the game.  Give me a single fact that says JimmyG is a better QB than anyone in the NFL.  I'll make it easy for you, anyone.

Go away, you're totally lost here, you don;t even know what you're arguing anymore.

You'll have a hard time, just as you'll find a hard time finding a personal insult.  Especially given all the personal insults you threw my way arguing away 

BYE

LOL

All the personal insults I've thrown your way?   Find them.  I think the only reply I made to you was posted two quotes with out comment.  Go find the insults.  LOL 

LOL

All the personal insults I've thrown your way?   Find them.  I think the only reply I made to you was posted two quotes with out comment.  Go find the insults.  LOL

Have to apologize, confused you with someone else. Sorry again, you're right

Archived