At what point did you know the season was over?

FSU_Jet

I thought that was Kerley who Geno threw too but yeah critical part of the season I think things play out very differently if fat ass I'll turn down the ball in OT MM doesn't call timeout.

Exactly. It was kinda down hill from there... 

It was Kerley. For me, it was the Detroit game. Lose two in a row at home to mediocre teams at best, in for a tough season.

That game solidified that Idzik had created the worst secondary in the history of football.

We couldn't stop the lions with Calvin Johnson not even at 10%.

We went 8-8 the year before with worse talent so yeah I thought we could at least go 7-9 and with a little luck may 9-7.  Unfortunately the injuries to Dee and Macdougle and the lack of NFL caliber corners plus our inability to get off the field on 3rd down is what really killed us defensively.   Geno regressed, Vick was totally worthless, and our special teams stunk.  That all adds up to 4-12. 

I hear you concerning the 8 and 8 year.  For me and IMO the team played extremely well but also had more stability at the corner position then last year.

I just felt bad about last year. 

For me talent is key.  As Tyson said "everybody has a plan until they get hit in the mouth" and you need star players who can come out and hit the other team in the mouth.  Coaches don't makes plays, you need top flight talent to win.

Where would Belichick be without Brady?  And he is thought of as the greatest HC by many of all time! 

Where would Parcells have been without LT? 

No doubt, great coaching makes a huge difference, but you still need players and the Jets on offense with the upgrades had one player Decker pegged as their number 1 WR when he really was and is a number 2 and no other players on offense who were really Probowl caliber.  None!!

And Rex, regardless of what anyone may say, has yet to prove himself to be a great HC.

For me it was the first year since Kotite's last year that I was not excited about the team and their prospects.  I thought we could maybe win if all was well 6 games.

I was just hoping against hope about last year and I now realize Idzik, IMO, never wanted Rex to succeed.  He wanted his "own" guy in there and there is nothing wrong with that but he was willing to undermine Rex to achieve his objective.

Bad talent will get even a great HC fired let alone an average HC.

I had an inkling during the very first game when despite significantly outplaying an inferior team, the Jets still only won by one score. It was a strong indication that the team's tendency to shoot themselves in the foot carried over from the prior season.

That was bad.  But I didn't think it would get as bad as it did.

March 11th 3:59:59 PM (league year started at 4:00 PM)

In other words, it was over before it started

LOL what makes you say that?

I'm sorry but I don't get how people were proclaiming the season to be over before it began. Sure there were issues in the secondary, and Geno was a ?, but we still had enough talent on defense otherwise to stay in games for the most part. I really think that if it wasn't for Geno's unexpectedly horrid play, we could have kept in most games last year. The problem is that when you throw 3 interceptions a game, the defense loses its motor and doesn't see the point in playing hard. 

That's why Fitzpatrick needs to be starting this year. He's at least average and won't throw games away with awful turnovers and dumb decisions. Given the defense the Jets have, we should have a puncher's chance in most, if not, all games this season.

For me, it had to be after the Green Bay game. Even though we weren't mathematically eliminated, the Packers game really exposed how bad the defense was and from that point forward, we were finished. What's your take?

I agree. Jets should have beaten GB. They led by 21-6 or something like that then blew it. Funniest play was rookie safety Calvin Pryor getting faked out of his jock by Jordy Nelson onan 80 yard TD pass play. Hysterical.....and I knew it was gonna be a bad year at that moment.

For me, it had to be after the Green Bay game. Even though we weren't mathematically eliminated, the Packers game really exposed how bad the defense was and from that point forward, we were finished. What's your take?

For me, it was when the playoffs started and the Jets werent playing any games. 

it's funny, because all of last seasons games are a blur for me, except for  that Green Bay game that somehow sticks out for me the most, when we had that big lead, I was so psyched....  and the feeling that we might be good after all was so short lived... since it's the last thing I remember vividly, I guess I knew the season was over when Greenbay with utter ease closed the gap and destroyed us that game.

it's funny, because all of last seasons games are a blur for me, except for  that Green Bay game that somehow sticks out for me the most, when we had that big lead, I was so psyched....  and the feeling that we might be good after all was so short lived... since it's the last thing I remember vividly, I guess I knew the season was over when Greenbay with utter ease closed the gap and destroyed us that game.

Exactly the same for me. Going into the half I was like, "whoa our corners might end up being halfway decent" and that Rex would somehow manage a way, with his defensive genius, to turn sh*t into chardonnay. Then of course Rodgers comes out and completely destroys the Jets secondary in the second half and the rest is history.

Exactly the same for me. Going into the half I was like, "whoa our corners might end up being halfway decent" and that Rex would somehow manage a way, with his defensive genius, to turn sh*t into chardonnay. Then of course Rodgers comes out and completely destroys the Jets secondary in the second half and the rest is history.

So you're saying those corners were Chardonnay?

Never mind it's just plain silly to think the seasons over because your team loses to Rodgers and GB, in GB by 7 in week 2.

RIGHT ON!  I was giddy...thinking we are going 10-6, 11-5  and Geno did his homework , sweep the PATS etc....

THEN it seemed with no time going by, Geno throws 3 picks in 5 minutes, gets benched and well... here we are.

So you're saying those corners were Chardonnay?

Never mind it's just plain silly to think the seasons over because your team loses to Rodgers and GB, in GB by 7 in week 2.

No, I meant that Rex can turn horrible corners (the sh*t) into something decent (chardonnay).

And for the record, I actually gave the Jets a shot up until the first Buffalo game. But the GB game was a pretty good indicator for how the Jets would fare against good QB's. In fact, every QB we played last year averaged over a 100 QBR against us. That means that if you go by the numbers, every QB we faced last year played at the level of Tom Brady. That's how despicable the secondary was.

FIRE JOHN IDZIK!!!!!

When I looked at the schedule and saw

Week 2 at Green Bay

Week 3 vs Chicago

Week 4 vs Detroit

Week 5 @ San Diego

Week 6 vs Denver

Week 7 @ New England

With that secondary and Geno at QB that had the makings of a disaster which it turned out to be.

Archived