Tough Love or Best Friend: Bowles vs. Rex

rkw522

Nice little article pointing out some minor differences that could make a big difference for the team as a whole.

http://www.interstateofgreen.com/#!Tough-Love-or-Best-Friend-Bowles-vs-Rex/civp/5596d0270cf2c7ea473de578

There are many approaches to coaching in the NFL. Currently the New York Jets are seeing a drastic change in the organization based on their change in management and coaching. The coach are moving on from a coach who prided himself on publicly announcing himself to the media to a coach who is soft spoken and expects his team to follow suit. Both coaches are good at their jobs and have expertise on the defensive side of the ball. Both coaches will make their respective teams better almost immediately and both coaches will have the respect of their players in different ways. So what is the difference between these two men? They seem similar on paper, but the tiny difference are going to be paramount for the New York Jets organization. It is not simply black and white, no pun intended.

There are four main differences between the Rex Ryan era and the new Todd Bowles era that will play a vital part in next season and beyond.

1) Not letting players talk without it being seen on the field- The Rex Ryan era is clearly over in New York, just ask the media. These new Jets are very tight lipped compared to the years past. There was slight talk in the beginning of the Bowles reign including mention of the Jets being the new “dream team”. Bowles quickly shut the talk down and did not understand why there was talk without production. This is vital to make this team more regimented and will help them obtain a goal they had never had, a championship. The dream team talk will not resurface in the future, I guarantee it.

2) Clear coach/player relationships- The Rex Ryan chest bump is synonymous in New York. The relationships Rex Ryan had with his players were great…while they lasted. After Rex Ryan left there were players such as Jace Amaro and Willie Colon who questioned Rex Ryan’s accountability. When a coach becomes a friend, the coach tends to let players slide on things. Bowles seems to have made a line in the sand between coach and player.

3) Playing Favorites vs. Building a 53- The next differnce conincides very well with the last difference of relationships with players. Rex Ryan was a culprit of keeping players on the roster based on his relationship with them. The same thing is happening in Buffalo. Rex Ryan added players that many view as sub par including Wayne Hunter, Matthew Mulligan, Matt Simms and John Connor. It seems that with Todd Bowles no one is completely safe. It does not matter where the player is drafted it matters what happens on the field. This rings clear based on comments regarding Dee Milliner. A player like Dexter McDougle or Marcus Williams could unseat Milliner based on performance. Bowles uses almost the entire roster in his schemes so players will have the chance to shine. If he player is on the field it is because they earned it. I expect a few surprise cuts.

4) More focus on the Offense- When is the last time a Jets fan could say the Jets were good offensively on paper? This year it seems like the team can compete if Geno Smith steps up. Bowles has come forward that he wants a balanced team. The era of ground and pound may have finally fell by the wayside. Adding talent on the offensive side of the ball is something this team is not necessarility accustomed to. Every position that was lacking seemed to get an upgrade. The offensive line is still shaky but the added attention of a head coach could make all the difference. Another aspect that proves that Bowles is invested in the offense is his banter with Chan Gailey. Bowles made it known that no position is set in stone and he will have a say in how starts for his team especially at quarterback. This team is shell shocked and ready for long term success.  

Are these slight differences enough to propell the team to the next level? Time will tell.

Twitter: @interstategreen

post-19826-0-81149300-1435947816_thumb.j

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how many AFCCGS has Bowels ben too

Such a stupid argument. Rex is a bottom 5 HC in the league at best. As he has shown. Bowles will have to be spectacularly bad to not been significantly better as HC than that blabbermouth loser. F Rex. 

Such a stupid argument. Rex is a bottom 5 HC in the league at best. As he has shown. Bowles will have to be spectacularly bad to not been significantly better as HC than that blabbermouth loser. F Rex. 

He was being sarcastic

Is Marvin Lewis a bottom 5 HC??

Is Bowles entertaining? Because that's what me and Savage69 look for in a head coach.

LOL I thought the Tuna was entertaining as well.. Take over for Johnny and list all the bad HC's that have made AFCCG's 2 years running there must be hundreds..

He forgot to put the sarcasm button.

Question...

Who do you think has more of an advantage when The Jets and Bills meet and play baby!!! ;)

-Rex Ryan?

Since he basically knows every player on that defense, Even the newly added Revis/Cro lol Since he coached them. He knows every weakness/flaw I suppose. Even on offense he knows all about Geno and his flaws etc...

- Or do the Jets/Jets Personnel have the advantage when playing Rex Ryan/Bills?

Since the team basically knows his game style/schemes etc...

Well game plans change from week to week basis, but I'm sure the defense/team can still remember and pick up on Rex Ryan's tendencies. Which may help in the 4thQ during the time we play? I mean IDK which or who would have more of the advantage. Maybe we do on Rex right? Since Todd Bowles will have a totally new defense out there, Nothing really that Rex can pick up on. Besides knowing the players....

I think knowing what Rex like and dislikes, what he does in certain situations really helps the Jets when we play Rex and the Bills. Since I'm sure he wouldn't change what he does. And he's on record stating that lol. He is who he is, and wont change for nobody LOL.

But yea will see. What do you guys think? Thoughts?

Question...

Who do you think has more of an advantage when The Jets and Bills meet and play baby!!! ;)

-Rex Ryan?

Since he basically knows every player on that defense, Even the newly added Revis/Cro lol Since he coached them. He knows every weakness/flaw I suppose. Even on offense he knows all about Geno and his flaws etc...

- Or do the Jets/Jets Personnel have the advantage when playing Rex Ryan/Bills?

Since the team basically knows his game style/schemes etc...

Well game plans change from week to week basis, but I'm sure the defense/team can still remember and pick up on Rex Ryan's tendencies. Which may help in the 4thQ during the time we play? I mean IDK which or who would have more of the advantage. Maybe we do on Rex right? Since Todd Bowles will have a totally new defense out there, Nothing really that Rex can pick up on. Besides knowing the players....

I think knowing what Rex like and dislikes, what he does in certain situations really helps the Jets when we play Rex and the Bills. Since I'm sure he wouldn't change what he does. And he's on record stating that lol. He is who he is, and wont change for nobody LOL.

But yea will see. What do you guys think? Thoughts?

It's a tough call.  You say that the Jets have a totally new defense.  Well,  the Bills have a totally new offense.  In addition,  Rex knows the Jets' players weaknesses and strengths and so do the former Jets' players that are now with the Buffalo Bills.  It's going to be pretty tough for Todd Bowles to put a game plan together when there won't be any tapes on the  Bills new offensive line plays(Greg Romans' plays are new to our team).  Bowles won't be as familiar with the Bills' plays or players.  I say Rex has  the advantage here.  

Is Bowles entertaining? Because that's what me and Savage69 look for in a head coach.

Savage is turning into that rjensen guy that used to tirelessly defend herm all the time ten years ago and then disappeared after the Kc fail.

One things for sure, if you call out Rex to savage the first words out of his mouth are tuna

LOL I thought the Tuna was entertaining as well.. Take over for Johnny and list all the bad HC's that have made AFCCG's 2 years running there must be hundreds..

I can't even make fun of this crap anymore, I just kind of feel bad for you now.

Savage is turning into that rjensen guy that used to tirelessly defend herm all the time ten years ago and then disappeared after the Kc fail.

One things for sure, if you call out Rex to savage the first words out of his mouth are tuna

At least I didn't take the Tuna's initials for a screen name..LOL All I asked was with Rex being such a terrible HC name the other terrible HC's that have reached the AFCCG 2 years in a row.. Since your a buddy you only have to name 1..Go  :animal0029:

It's a tough call.  You say that the Jets have a totally new defense.  Well,  the Bills have a totally new offense.  In addition,  Rex knows the Jets' players weaknesses and strengths and so do the former Jets' players that are now with the Buffalo Bills.  It's going to be pretty tough for Todd Bowles to put a game plan together when there won't be any tapes on the  Bills new offensive line plays(Greg Romans' plays are new to our team).  Bowles won't be as familiar with the Bills' plays or players.  I say Rex has  the advantage here.

When it comes to Jets vs. Bills, all of the pressure is on Rex, too. The Bills crushed the Rex-coached Jets twice last year. In theory, he left a bad team for a better one. Now the Jets have certainly made a lot of improvements to the roster Rex had to deal with last season, and the Bills took a hard blow at the QB position, but anything less than a Bills sweep once again will point the finger directly at Rex as the problem.

When it comes to Jets vs. Bills, all of the pressure is on Rex, too. The Bills crushed the Rex-coached Jets twice last year. In theory, he left a bad team for a better one. Now the Jets have certainly made a lot of improvements to the roster Rex had to deal with last season, and the Bills took a hard blow at the QB position, but anything less than a Bills sweep once again will point the finger directly at Rex as the problem.

As it stands right now,  seeing a sweep where one of our QB's scores 38 or 45 points in  any given game is a stretch.   

At least I didn't take the Tuna's initials for a screen name..LOL All I asked was with Rex being such a terrible HC name the other terrible HC's that have reached the AFCCG 2 years in a row.. Since your a buddy you only have to name 1..Go :animal0029:

Andy Ried

You think Andy Reid is terrible?? He's much better then Rex or any other HC the Jets have had not named Parcells..

Yes, he's terrible. He was down 3 scores with 7 minutes left in the super bowl against the patriots and Donovan mcnabb was huddling up on every play. Clueless and no sense of urgency. You see him blow that gigantic halftime lead in the playoffs last year?

And he's lost even more championship games than Rex

I say my boy IK gonna literally wipe his ass with wrecks Ryan

My boy Amaro gonna be catching the TDs

I say my boy IK gonna literally wipe his ass with wrecks Ryan

My boy Amaro gonna be catching the TDs

Both teams have new coaches,  a lot of new players and new plays.  Reality?  Wait and see

Archived