With Richardson out, Which Player or Players need to Step Up?

JetBlue

andrew-luck-quinton-coples.jpg

I am going to go with Quinton Coples.  I think he will get more action as a DE now, at least until Richardson is back.  This is a great opportunity for him and I hope he makes the best of it.  A 4 man line of Wilkerson, Harrison, Coples  and Williams is no joke.    Truthfully they all need to step up their games but I can see Coples really breaking through this year. 

I agree with the OP. Williams definitely has a big opportunity to shine, but he's a rookie and isn't expected to be all-pro from day one by any means. Coples has been in the league for four years and is being moved to his preferred position with 3 other extremely talented players sharing the line with him. If Coples doesn't break through, I think it's a big indictment on his future prospects with this team. It's do or die time.

Big Mo's chance to show he is worth top 5 money. This could be "butterfly effect" situation that ultimately results in big new deal for Mo and moving Richardson for a QB (draft or trade).

Geno Smith

+ 1

Also agree with jgb ... (once Williams shows anything) the big money likely will only go to one of Mo/Sheldon ... With the more likely scenario before this having been Sheldon as the favorite to get the deal & Mo used as bait if needed for a QB possibility ... This may switch that around

Big Mo's chance to show he is worth top 5 money. This could be "butterfly effect" situation that ultimately results in big new deal for Mo and moving Richardson for a QB (draft or trade).

Great minds think alike.... ;-) 

It actually seems like a perfect opportunity to hold out. Puts the Jets in a real bad situation if Mo decides to holdout with the Richardson suspension.

It actually seems like a perfect opportunity to hold out. Puts the Jets in a real bad situation if Mo decides to holdout with the Richardson suspension.

Agree with you but while holdouts are common, agreeing to show up, and then changing your mind and bailing because another starter goes down might be over the line and really hurt a player's reputation.

I agree with the OP. Williams definitely has a big opportunity to shine, but he's a rookie and isn't expected to be all-pro from day one by any means. Coples has been in the league for four years and is being moved to his preferred position with 3 other extremely talented players sharing the line with him. If Coples doesn't break through, I think it's a big indictment on his future prospects with this team. It's do or die time.

What is his preferred position and when did anybody say he was being moved?  All reports out of camp had Coples at OLB with Mauldin backing him up.  The fact that message board geniuses want to move him inside does not make it a fact.  Truth is, they drafted Williams and he will probably play less inside than ever. Even without Sheldon, LB is the weak spot on the D.  Moving him down makes it weaker.

What is his preferred position and when did anybody say he was being moved?  All reports out of camp had Coples at OLB with Mauldin backing him up.  The fact that message board geniuses want to move him inside does not make it a fact.  Truth is, they drafted Williams and he will probably play less inside than ever. Even without Sheldon, LB is the weak spot on the D.  Moving him down makes it weaker.

Odds are Coples will get more time with his hand in the dirt and could very easily see his time split from LB to DL, depending on the situation. At least that is this message board genius's take on it.     

Btw here is my original post:  

I am going to go with Quinton Coples.  I think he will get more action as a DE now, at least until Richardson is back.  This is a great opportunity for him and I hope he makes the best of it.  A 4 man line of Wilkerson, Harrison, Coples  and Williams is no joke.    Truthfully they all need to step up their games but I can see Coples really breaking through this year. 

Notice I said I THINK not I KNOW. It is all just conjecture at this point.  

Odds are Coples will get more time with his hand in the dirt and could very easily see his time split from LB to DL, depending on the situation. At least that is this message board genius's take on it.     

Btw here is my original post:  

Notice I said I THINK not I KNOW. It is all just conjecture at this point.  

He certainly might, but that will mean more of who on the field?  I think we are primarily talking Williams vs. Mauldin.  In that case, my money is on Williams.  Maybe more Ik or Reilly.  If it means that we are going to see more of Babin?  No thanks.  If you check my post, you will see that I wasn't quoting you.  I was quoting a post that said that Coples was being moved.  I have never heard a peep that was going to happen and if it were, our offseason was not handled to reflect it.  Minicamp had no Mo and hardly any Sheldon and Coples was still at OLB

He certainly might, but that will mean more of who on the field?  I think we are primarily talking Williams vs. Mauldin.  In that case, my money is on Williams.  Maybe more Ik or Reilly.  If it means that we are going to see more of Babin?  No thanks.  If you check my post, you will see that I wasn't quoting you.  I was quoting a post that said that Coples was being moved.  I have never heard a peep that was going to happen and if it were, our  offseason was not handled to reflect it.  Minicamp had no Mo and hardly and Sheldon and Coples was still at OLB

Okay I hear you. It just seemed logical that Coples might see more time on the line.   Time will tell.  I can see Mauldin and IK definitely getting more reps if that happens.   For the record I think Williams is going to more than hold his own.  

Jets Front Seven Should Have Time on Their Side

By Glenn Naughton

Even with the recent news of star defensive end Sheldon Richardson’s four-game suspension to start the 2015 season for violating the league’s substance abuse policy, Jets fans are still hoping for big things from a versatile front-seven on defense given the drastic improvements that were made to what was one of the worst secondaries in the NFL last season.

The Jets pass defense ranked sixth in the league, allowing 327 yards per game, but more importantly, they were 24th in the NFL in points allowed with 401 (25.1 ppg).  A defensive backfield that allowed 31 touchdowns through the air will look to clamp down on opposing receivers this season and give the Jets front seven some much needed time if they want to turn their quarterback pressures and hits into sacks.

With Muhammad Wilkerson, and nose tackle Damon Harrison being joined by first-round draft selection Leonard Williams in Richardson’s absence up front, the trio will look to anchor the Jets’ 3-4 scheme.

Head coach Todd Bowles’ penchant for using multiple looks while putting his players in position to succeed could also mean Quinton Coples will be putting his hand in the dirt from time to time.

This Jets defensive line is stout, but there are still questions at the linebacker position as veterans Calvin Pace and Jason Babin could find themselves on the bubble if rookie Lorenzo Mauldin or second-year players like  IK Enemkpali or Trevor Reilly turn heads in training camp. The hope however, is that no matter who gets the call, the Jets will have more time to get to the quarterback.

IMG_6000-2-300x232.jpg

Linebackers Calvin Pace and David Harris will look to capitalize on Gang Green’s

improved secondary.

In 2014 the Gang Green managed to tie the Kansas City Chiefs for sixth in the NFL with 45 sacks.  This, despite a grossly undermanned secondary that was led by a pair of previously undrafted free agents in Darrin Walls and Marcus Williams starting the majority of the season filling the Jets starting cornerback positions.

With a revamped depth chart that includes Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Skrine and a hopefully healthy pair of youngsters in Dee Milliner and Dexter McDougle at corner, the Jets should be among the best teams in the NFL at blanketing opposing pass-catchers.

For the second season in a row, the aforementioned Coples did a nice job of pressuring the quarterback (11 hits, 21 hurries), but came away with a somewhat disappointing sack total as he got to the QB just seven times.  Joining Coples in the “close but no cigar” category were Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson as the trio were the only Jets to register double-digit hits on the QB with 14 and 10 respectively.

Even Babin and Pace who totaled a mere 8 sacks still racked up 51 pressures and nine hits.  Babin’s 27 hurries were second on the team only to Richardson who led the way with 31.  In all, the Jets were credited with 45 sacks, 57 quarterback hits, and 167 hurries according to PFF.com and NFL.com.  All numbers that should be on the uptick in 2015.

IMG_5908-300x200.jpg

IK Enemkpali hopes to show we he can do coming off the edge.

Enemkpali, an under-sized 3-4 outside linebacker at 6′ 1”, 272 lbs possesses some impressive attributes coming off the edge as he showed excellent burst and short-area quickness in limited playing time under Rex Ryan last season.

More of an all-around player than Enemkali, Trevor Reilly did have some success in college at Utah where he registered 20 sacks in four seasons, eighteen of which came after his freshman year.

The Jets should expect an intense training camp battle between Pace, Babin, Mouldin, Enemkpali, Riley and others as the front-seven could be in a position to overtake the Buffalo Bills who paced the NFL with 54 sacks in 2015.

Should the Jets defense make that leap, it will be due largely in part to Mike Maccagnan taking the time to build a roster that would provide its pass-rushers with plenty time of their own.

http://www.jetnation.com/2015/07/09/new-york-jets-front-seven-should-have-time-on-their-side/

The bolded is why I picked Coples as the guy who really needs to step up.  I think he is going to have a break out season this year anyway and now he has even more motivation to do so.  

Glenn!  You're a source now! 

Coples has put his hand in the dirt from time to time, all while allegedly being miscast. Going 4-3 is a nice thought, but our backers are probably even worse suited to that.  I have not seen anything indicating that Bowles expected to move Coples to DE or that he has practiced there.

Glenn!  You're a source now! 

Coples has put his hand in the dirt from time to time, all while allegedly being miscast. Going 4-3 is a nice thought, but our backers are probably even worse suited to that.  I have not seen anything indicating that Bowles expected to move Coples to DE or that he has practiced there.

Coples is on the line in a 3 point stance in 46 Bear and Nascar formations plus he filled in last year at DE when Wilk was out and I'm sure he'll rotate in with Williams and Wilk in base formations.  I don't get the whole hulabaloo about him being miscast he's really a hybrid player who has played well.

Since when are the Jets switching to a four man front?

When they wake up and take advantage of the talent on hand instead of what the Head Coach is used to. Not meant to be critical of Todd. All Head Coaches are that stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

this is not happening as i expected it to lol

I think Ik has a chance to be a James Harrison type LB.

I'm NOT saying he will have as much success as Harrison but he's shown flashes of burst. Playing on passing downs as an edge rusher with Mo, Damon & Williams gives him a chance for some 1 on 1s.

The talent level & depth of our Dline will naturally make it easier for our LBs to operate & take advantage of mismatches in the opposing teams blocking schemes.

Archived