Sheldon will learn quickly no ones bigger than the team

Jetster

This was a bad year for Sheldon Richardson to shoot himself in the foot. For the entire offseason the talk has been, how long can the Jets keep 4 first rounders together on the Dline?

Enter Todd Bowles. No one did more with less than Bowles in Arizona last year. Even after being decimated with injuries that defense fought every game all season long.

Enter Leonard "Big Cat" Williams the consensus "best player in the draft". This is still one of the deepest Dlines in the league & with the addition of Revis plus all of the other free agents picked up to strengthen the secondary I expect the Jets to be one of the stingiest teams in the league in points allowed.

Sheldon will learn very quickly that on THIS TEAM his absence won't be missed compared to other teams who lack Dline depth.

He'll get to watch from home & realize very quickly that Mo Wilkerson is getting paid and that he himself will end up going to the highest bidder in the offseason with a contract in hand filled with clauses to protect the team from a potential future 10 game suspension.

Sheldon....we hardly even knew ya, but what we did know after all of your comments this offseason is that if we took your brain & put it on the edge of a razor blade it would look like a BB on a four lane highway.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And yet, he's still arguably the best player on the team. Maybe we should take a collective breath, and see how he responds after his suspension.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Where was the sense of betrayal or sorrow for a fallen teammate in the New York Giants' locker room?

Where was the dismay over the absence of a key player for at least four critical games, and maybe longer?

If the Giants felt those emotions yesterday, they kept them well-concealed when All-Pro linebacker Lawrence Taylor was placed on the non-football illness list by the NFL and banished from the team for at least 30 days for failing a test for cocaine Aug. 15.

Taylor, who has acknowledged that he underwent treatment for a cocaine problem in 1986, was suspended for a second offense under league guidelines. He is eligible to return Sept. 28, four days before the Giants play their fifth game, in Washington. If he fails another drug test, he will be banned

from the league for at least one year.

Taylor was not allowed to enter Giants Stadium yesterday. But the team made it obvious he will be welcomed back when he gets medical clearance from the league.

"We were all surprised," said Tim Mara, one of the team's owners. "I wish him nothing but the best, and of course he can return."

Taylor will miss the season opener next Monday night against Washington, plus games against San Francisco, Dallas and the Los Angeles Rams. He also must enter a program of inpatient or outpatient treatment at the discretion of Dr. Forest Tennant, the league's drug adviser. Taylor's return is dependent upon approval of Tennant and the Giants' team physician.

Taylor had been saying repeatedly this summer that there would be "no drugs" in his life. He glibly spoke of how he was a changed person, a new LT, a leader for the defense and role model on the field for young players. But two days after the test was administered, Taylor kicked the door of a truck that had cut off his car in traffic. He then verbally berated a reporter who questioned him and tore up the accident report.

Coach Bill Parcells said he was not angry, but "a little bit surprised. You don't expect these kind of things. I had every reason to believe things were in pretty good shape."

Asked if he felt betrayed, Parcells gave no comment. Asked if Taylor would be hard to take back, Parcells again gave no comment.

Most of the players issued "no comments" as well.

Ironically, Washington's All-Pro defensive end Dexter Manley, one of the other eight players suspended aftern NFL drug tests this summer, will play against the Giants Monday night after serving a 30-day suspension and returning to practice yesterday.

"You just have to get over it," Giants offensive lineman Bill Ard said of Taylor's loss. "Just say he hurt his back. If you dwell on it, you'll screw yourself up."

Taylor outlined his 1986 battle with cocaine in his book "LT: Living on the Edge," which has just been released in paperback. In the 1986 season, he bounced back with his finest season. The Giants went on to win the Super Bowl and he became only the second defensive player in league history to be named the NFL's Most Valuable Player as he set a club record with 20 1/2 sacks.

This was a bad year for Sheldon Richardson to shoot himself in the foot. For the entire offseason the talk has been, how long can the Jets keep 4 first rounders together on the Dline?

Enter Todd Bowles. No one did more with less than Bowles in Arizona last year. Even after being decimated with injuries that defense fought every game all season long.

Enter Leonard "Big Cat" Williams the consensus "best player in the draft". This is still one of the deepest Dlines in the league & with the addition of Revis plus all of the other free agents picked up to strengthen the secondary I expect the Jets to be one of the stingiest teams in the league in points allowed.

Sheldon will learn very quickly that on THIS TEAM his absence won't be missed compared to other teams who lack Dline depth.

He'll get to watch from home & realize very quickly that Mo Wilkerson is getting paid and that he himself will end up going to the highest bidder in the offseason with a contract in hand filled with clauses to protect the team from a potential future 10 game suspension.

Sheldon....we hardly even knew ya, but what we did know after all of your comments this offseason is that if we took your brain & put it on the edge of a razor blade it would look like a BB on a four lane highway.

Nice Nice nice..

I like this post and endorse this printing!!

Basically what I can gather is that people who want Sheldon off the team are still bitter about his twittering and don't like his attitude, not because of the weed.  You don't get rid of the best players on your team, because a 22 year old hurt your feelings on social media.  

Basically what I can gather is that people who want Sheldon off the team are still bitter about his twittering and don't like his attitude, not because of the weed.  You don't get rid of the best players on your team, because a 22 year old hurt your feelings on social media.  

Disagree. Listen buddy I've seen Remember the Titans, and I know how teams are supposed to act.

It's the Rex effect. It hasn't worn off yet. Bowles will fix it.

Is this that whole "Accountability" thing that Amaro, Colon and even Mangold got into??

Curious to see how Bowles/MacDaddy handle this one. Revis, Mo and the rest will be watching!

I'm sure the players want to see Sheldon get a spanking for the sake of the team. No one man is bigger than the "TEAM"

I wouldn't say Sheldon won't be back with the team just yet. I'm hoping this dose of reality wakes him up and he matures a little bit. Also as mentioned this should help us during contract talks. It's just pot so I'm not worried other than the possibility of suspension, and if he gets caught again well the tone of this post changes. He was having a good time. It's not like he was cheating.

Disagree. Listen buddy I've seen Remember the Titans, and I know how teams are supposed to act.

Tell that to Rex Ryan. Keep in mind our young guys learned from Rex so it should be no surprise when a guy like Sheldon opens his mouth. Look I'm not high on Sheldon's comments be he is only 22 and riding a high, no pun intended though it works, of already being a dominant player. So he shot his mouth off a little bit. The key is whether he continues to do so or grows up.

He talks too much for my taste- that is just me though- the point for me is 4 times he had a chance to wise up and failed 4 times- he knows the rules

Is that the # of failed tests that would bring about a 4 game suspension? Is there a link to this? 

Basically what I can gather is that people who want Sheldon off the team are still bitter about his twittering and don't like his attitude, not because of the weed. You don't get rid of the best players on your team, because a 22 year old hurt your feelings on social media.

This has nothing to do with twittering. It does have something to due with attitude. This is about an immature, stupid kid that failed not one... not two... maybe three...but probably four drug tests, knowing full well the consequences of his actions after each offense. He apparently did not care. This all but guarantees he will "not care" again at some point when he is being tested up to 10 times per month in the foreseeable future.

He is headed down the Josh Gordon path. Let him convince some other team that these MULTIPLE "lapses in judgement" are behind him.

Cut your losses and trade him.

Now Idziot doesn't even have a single quality player to hang his hat on with 19 picks in two years.

No

This has nothing to do with twittering. It does have something to due with attitude. This is about an immature, stupid kid that failed not one... not two... maybe three...but probably four drug tests, knowing full well the consequences of his actions after each offense. He apparently did not care. This all but guarantees he will "not care" again at some point when he is being tested up to 10 times per month in the foreseeable future.

He is headed down the Josh Gordon path. Let him convince some other team that these MULTIPLE "lapses in judgement" are behind him.

Cut your losses and trade him.

Now Idziot doesn't even have a single quality player to hang his hat on with 19 picks in two years.

Please explain to me how trading away one of the best players in the NFL for pennies on the dollar betters this team? He's still on his rookie deal and under control via the tag for a couple years after. If he f*cks up, he's suspended and we pay nothing. If he's on the field, you have one of the best players in the league on your team. As you and all proponents to trade him have stated, his worth is severely diminished, how does trading a top 100 player on a rookie contract ever get recouped? But you're totes right, I'm sure if this were someone everyone loved who got busted it'd be the exact same scenario. e.g. Mangold. 

Please explain to me how trading away one of the best players in the NFL for pennies on the dollar betters this team? He's still on his rookie deal and under control via the tag for a couple years after. If he f*cks up, he's suspended and we pay nothing. If he's on the field, you have one of the best players in the league on your team. As you and all proponents to trade him have stated, his worth is severely diminished, how does trading a top 100 player on a rookie contract ever get recouped? But you're totes right, I'm sure if this were someone everyone loved who got busted it'd be the exact same scenario. e.g. Mangold. 

It's the rage of some Jet fans that got their feelings hurt from Sheldons twitter comments.. Sheldon's pot cost him 600 thousand this year.. That's enough pot to keep Tom Shane high for a month..  :animal0029:

Dude. How much value does Josh Gordon have now that he is suspended for an entire season? I guarantee the Browns wish they traded him when they had the chance.

Cross your fingers the dumbass stays clean,, plays a solid 12 games, and then trade him IMMEDIATELY in the offseason for the best offer. Time is not on this kid's side. He DOES NOT CARE!

I bet the Steelers wish they traded Santonio before they did. They knew he was an Ahole long before. Maybe they could have gotten a 3rd instead of a 5th.

Based on what we now know, it is all but inevitable that Sheldon effs up again. A guy that is suspended has zero value. If you dont understand that, I dont know what to tell you.

Dude. How much value does Josh Gordon have now that he is suspended for an entire season? I guarantee the Browns wish they traded him when they had the chance.

Cross your fingers the dumbass stays clean,, plays a solid 12 games, and then trade him IMMEDIATELY in the offseason for the best offer. Time is not on this kid's side. He DOES NOT CARE!

I bet the Steelers wish they traded Santonio before they did. They knew he was an Ahole long before. Maybe they could have gotten a 3rd instead of a 5th.

Based on what we now know, it is all but inevitable that Sheldon effs up again. A guy that is suspended has zero value. If you dont understand that, I dont know what to tell you.

Tone is not playing because he was injured and is no longer good at football, not because of the inevitable marijuana suspension that everyone guaranteed he would have. How do you use him as an example to prognosticate what happens with Sheldon, when Santonio was never suspended after he was traded to the Jets? If he doesn't get hurt, he's still playing.

Going by your post the Giants should have shipped out LT in 1983 everyone knew he was doing drugs.. The strict Parcells made believe it wasn't true..

Some of the newer posters here are just plain dumb.

lets trade a top 10 talent at his position because he is suspended for 4 games and he likes twitter, for pennies on the dollar. throw in the fact that the jets control his rookie contract for 4 more years and you have some genius, arm chair gm's on this board. forget our current gm, lets hire one of these ji defectors.

Archived